Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Blurred posted:

I missed polling chat last night, but wanted to add my two cents here.

There seems to be a lot of complacency here about the state of the 2024 election - the Republicans are running on losing issues, they're out of money, etc. - but I think we should be honest with ourselves that the polling just isn't reflecting that at the moment. RCP has Trump ahead in 16 out of the past 20 polls (2 tied) and I don't think that can easily be dismissed. You can point to things like sampling errors for individual polls, but that doesn't work when a lot of pollsters with different polling methods are all showing similar things. You could argue that all the polls are somehow systematically missing some key group of voters (which is perhaps what happened with the polls in 2016 and 2020, where their traditional screening methods led them to underestimate Trump's level of support among traditionally "unreliable" voters), but I don't see clear reason to presume that's happening here, nor that such systematic errors would necessarily be to Biden's advantage.

Some posters said that polling overestimated Republican performance in 2022, but that just isn't true. The final 538 average had Republicans 1.2% ahead, and they actually won by 2.8%. That's still an underperformance for Republicans under the circumstances, but it was anticipated by the polling. The polls severely underestimated the performance of Democrats in some of the special elections, yes, but polling of local races has always been super unreliable.

So, coupled with the fact that Biden's approval rating is currently under water, I think the polls should be taken seriously, and we should presume that Biden is genuinely trailing Trump at the moment and we should rightly be nervous about Trump winning in 2024. However, that's not to say that we should take the polls as accurate forecasts of what is actually going to happen in November. I think we should treat them as accurate, yes, but they reflect current voter preferences, not necessarily what the preferences will be in November. The fact is that Biden hasn't really kicked off his election campaign yet, whereas Trump has been in campaign mode for most of the past 3 years. Trump is getting press coverage (for, er, various reasons) while Biden only seems to get press coverage when they want to talk about his mental decline. Voters have the minds of goldfish and might have forgotten about some of the more heinous poo poo Trump did as president, but they're going to be reminded about it pretty constantly once the Biden campaign kicks into gear. Plus there's the minor issue of the 91 indictments hanging over Trump's head. If there's any sympathy for Trump's "persecution" at the moment, that might disappear pretty quickly once the guilty verdicts start rolling in.

So while I don't believe in unskewing the polls - I genuinely believe that Biden is behind at the moment - that's hardly reason for dooming at the moment, because most of the changes to the dynamic of the race in the next 8 months are likely to be to Biden's advantage (barring some extraordinary event - like economic collapse - that can't be foreseen for now). But I also think it's clear that we shouldn't be gloating over the corpse of Trump's political career or the Republican Party just yet, because - against all reason and human decency - their popularity seems to be holding up for now.

This is a solid effort post and more or less how I feel. I read an LA times article which more or less confirmed that most “swing” voters stick their heads in the sand until fall and don’t really pay attention to anything otherwise. Which, cool. That’s who we depend on to maintain democracy.

I don’t think Biden has started campaigning yet because decorum, and I do think Americans have goldfish brains and I do think anger towards the incumbent is expected at this time. Bush jr had really negative ratings and easily
Won reelection, same for Obama, etc. But it’s different this time because one person wants to literally try to end our government. So that’s cool.

I just don’t get willful complacency. Maybe I’m less happy because of that, but also I don’t think I’m stupid so, plus minus there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

These gaps in polling to result are interesting to me

Dems aren't having these gaps. Trump really is having a a pretty good sized, consistent gap between polls and voting every time.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Grey Cat posted:

It's pretty good I've only ever seen the full cut which is like 2.5hrs. If anyone is on the fence for watching it let me sell you.

It has a booby robot, feeding humans to the work machine, a hosed up church, and some of the best set design and miniatures ever.

I just saw it for the first time two weeks ago or so. Amazing film that was ahead of its time. It’s almost hard to believe that in ten years that country became the country of nazis :gonk:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

These gaps in polling to result are interesting to me

Dems aren't having these gaps. Trump really is having a a pretty good sized, consistent gap between polls and voting every time.

His support for an abortion ban combined with his behavior (side effects of some mental decline) is probably making all of those Ride and Die types realize nobody respects them but is openly laughing at them, making them less likely to bother.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
How long until the committee makes Hunter show his dong?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kazil posted:

New Hampshire had a large effort to get Biden a win via write-in vote and Michigan had a large effort to get people to vote uncommitted.

Sure, but I'd imagine at least as many Dem voters might be tempted to vote in the GOP primary as well.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I just saw it for the first time two weeks ago or so. Amazing film that was ahead of its time. It’s almost hard to believe that in ten years that country became the country of nazis :gonk:

For real, the whole movie was about waking up and recognizing authoritarianism lol.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

marshalljim posted:

MTG is gonna have a dong lineup. Please identify which is the dong of Hunter Biden.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Imagine being so behind on the Palestine/Israel situation that you've only just this last year realized it's bad and blaming loving Biden for the state of US policy with Israel since its inception

Bitch it's the career politicians that don't turn over with the presidencies that set this poo poo up. You can't vote away America's allyship with Israel, you've actually gotta go the concerted effort over time thing.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

His support for an abortion ban combined with his behavior (side effects of some mental decline) is probably making all of those Ride and Die types realize nobody respects them but is openly laughing at them, making them less likely to bother.

If that were the case it would be the opposite, where people loudly proclaim in public that they AREN'T voting for Pmurt and then letting their deplorable flag fly in the safe privacy of a voting booth

This is more like people being performative chuds when asked by the pollsters and then at the ballot box where it really counts they all chicken out and admit, yeah, he loving sucks and I don't actually wanna vote for him

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

CommieGIR posted:

MTG is gonna have a dong lineup. Please identify which is the dong of Hunter Biden.

Was this the dong in congress?
How about this one?

pulls out a really really long polaroid

Alright, how about this one?

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 28, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

New Hampshire and Michigan had same day Democratic primaries, so I don't think that can entirely explain it.

I think polling just isn't doing a good job of accurately capturing Trump's numbers

Because his chuds are loving with the polls, Idk how but the wierd trash demo data sets like "oh suddenly trump gained 40% of black voters practically overnight" tells me there is something off about Trump's data in general.

Consistently finishing well below his polls, and now Gen Z suddenly loves Trump the most according to online polling?

Like I'm not trying to :shepface: about this, there are consistent polling errors with this guy on a constant basis atm, and the actual results never have an error in his favor. That's just bizzare.

What's Bannon and Stone up to these days? Some new way to create a "STOLLEN ELECTION" false narrative? Just people loving with data? Lack of good ways to track younger voters? Idk :shrug:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Imagine being so behind on the Palestine/Israel situation that you've only just this last year realized it's bad and blaming loving Biden for the state of US policy with Israel since its inception

people want to have some reason to vocally support social progress but take no responsibility to put their hands on social controls. or maybe they're just so mentally broken by modern technology that they demand instant gratification after they pull the lever. I'm starting to think it's the second one

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
People are tired of trump. His base is shrinking, and people long for politics that aren't insanity.

Biden beat trump handily in 2020, this year will be no different.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the takeaway from 2016 and 2020 should be "yes, you do in fact have to vote every time, because society does not exist unchanged through its own momentum"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

People are tired of trump. His base is shrinking, and people long for politics that aren't insanity.

Also big money is not behind Trump anymore - they've already tasted his lovely economy and they don't want more.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Eight-Six posted:

the takeaway from 2016 and 2020 should be "yes, you do in fact have to vote every time, because society does not exist unchanged through its own momentum"

The other takeaway is "there is no such thing as a protest vote."

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Nocheez posted:

people long for politics that aren't insanity

doubt

quote:

no reasonable doubt

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

marshalljim posted:

everyone is very excited for president cum

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is there any exit polling regarding the primaries?

That would give a much more accurate pattern of data than online polls atm

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Also big money is not behind Trump anymore - they've already tasted his lovely economy and they don't want more.

Did the ultra-wealthy do poorly under Trump? They got a huge tax break and it seemed like there were a lot of gains for the rich during his term.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

MEIN RAVEN posted:

This is a solid effort post and more or less how I feel. I read an LA times article which more or less confirmed that most “swing” voters stick their heads in the sand until fall and don’t really pay attention to anything otherwise. Which, cool. That’s who we depend on to maintain democracy.

I don’t think Biden has started campaigning yet because decorum, and I do think Americans have goldfish brains and I do think anger towards the incumbent is expected at this time. Bush jr had really negative ratings and easily
Won reelection, same for Obama, etc. But it’s different this time because one person wants to literally try to end our government. So that’s cool.

I just don’t get willful complacency. Maybe I’m less happy because of that, but also I don’t think I’m stupid so, plus minus there

Biden hasn't started campaigning yet because it's still 8 months until the general election. Any money spent on ads or things like that would have very little impact right now because, like you said, most people don't pay attention to politics in their day to day lives

I agree people shouldn't be complacent but there's the other extreme too, reading too much into polls and concluding the sky is falling, especially when polls haven't been reliable for at least the past 8 years. The post you were replying to was obviously well thought out but as soon as it cited polls and approval rating of all things as things to worry about I disregarded it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Is there any exit polling regarding the primaries?

That would give a much more accurate pattern of data than online polls atm

Probably more accurate from a "exit polls are dogshit, online polls are dogshit wrapped in catshit and deep-fried" perspective

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They made out like literal bandits but it was SO unsustainable. The tax cuts weren't reverted by Biden so that's really no reason to go for Trump since, as Biden said, "nothing would fundamentally change"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Did the ultra-wealthy do poorly under Trump? They got a huge tax break and it seemed like there were a lot of gains for the rich during his term.

I was under the impression COVID is why the economy tanked under Trump and the rich were just fine with it otherwise.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

ok but how about "people long for politics that aren't insanity but they're hopelessly addicted/traumatized and don't realize it"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

jokes posted:

They made out like literal bandits but it was SO unsustainable. The tax cuts weren't reverted by Biden so that's really no reason to go for Trump since, as Biden said, "nothing would fundamentally change"

I feel like "making out like bandits but it's unsustainable" hasn't stopped their enthusiasm before. I agree that the big money has been perpetually looking for another option during the primaries, but I think once Trump is the candidate the dark money crowd will be the very first group to line up behind him.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Bitch it's the career politicians that don't turn over with the presidencies that set this poo poo up. You can't vote away America's allyship with Israel, you've actually gotta go the concerted effort over time thing.

Pro tip everyone knows this and Biden is literally one of those career politicians lol

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

A career as a bully in a 1950s set Stephen King adaptation just pissed away by a life of crime.

Don't Google this.

God damnit why did I not listen.

Screw you for posting that and gently caress me for being a god drat moron looking it up.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Eight-Six posted:

ok but how about "people long for politics that aren't insanity but they're hopelessly addicted/traumatized and don't realize it"

It depends on who the people are. Republicans certainly aren't acting like they are yearning for a not-insane politic, was my point.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BlackIronHeart posted:

I was under the impression COVID is why the economy tanked under Trump and the rich were just fine with it otherwise.

That did happen

I mean Trump was loving things up already with idiotic Tarriffs as well.

He's REALLLY bad at business

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I bet Hunter and Commander could wipe the floor with the whole Boebert family

I must remind you that this is a comedy forum and so far the blue ribbon winner is jerking a guy off at a Beetlejuice musical

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The ultra-wealthy always do fine, but their businesses did not and Trump kept messing with how the economy ran and loving supply chains over and it pissed off a lot of big names.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I feel like "making out like bandits but it's unsustainable" hasn't stopped their enthusiasm before. I agree that the big money has been perpetually looking for another option during the primaries, but I think once Trump is the candidate the dark money crowd will be the very first group to line up behind him.

They want republicans who come in, gently caress poo poo up, cut taxes/regulations, and then leave so the dems can "fix" things-- Trump has no intention of leaving so they're throwing money at his opponents and will probably only give money to Trump a little bit to make Biden (Hillary in 2016) go to the right. Remember, Trump also didn't help business generally he helped select businesses and hosed over others. That's dangerous to capital

Nobody expected Trump to win-- especially not Trump. He was going in to gently caress with Hillary and start a media grift and complain about unfair elections and all that poo poo so he could grift, but he won so he had to pivot

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

The ultra-wealthy always do fine, but their businesses did not and Trump kept messing with how the economy ran and loving supply chains over and it pissed off a lot of big names.

I wouldn't have thought that their businesses did all that poorly with the "please commit fraud with me" PPP loan program. Are we expecting this dissatisfaction with Trump's handling of the economy to extend into the general after his coronation ceremony as the inevitable GOP candidate?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol there's no pause between the two statements

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1762668150116491513

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Sure, but I'd imagine at least as many Dem voters might be tempted to vote in the GOP primary as well.

I dunno how it works in Michigan, but in Ohio, you can only vote in one party's primary and in fact voting in the primary is how you become a member of that party.

When I voted in the 2020 dem primary, I went from "unaffiliated" to "Democrat". If I roll up to my polling place this year and say I wanna vote on the Republican primary, then my party affiliation field would become "Republican".

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

big mean giraffe posted:

Pro tip everyone knows this and Biden is literally one of those career politicians lol

ofc, so then they should know that it's taken *since the formation of Israel* for anyone to even begin listening to anyone that it was hosed up and can't be resolved in one presidential election cycle

Blaming 'Genocide Joe' is the lazy man's way of wanting change because it's Genocide All Presidents Ever, the US and Israel's allyship is deep and complex and if you actually care about it, do the loving work to dismantle it over time.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

jokes posted:

Trump has no intention of leaving so they're throwing money at his opponents and will probably only give money to Trump a little bit to make Biden (Hillary in 2016) go to the right.

If I were a betting man, I'd place a bet on dark money fueling Trump's general election campaign at least as much as they did in 2020, if not more. I really don't think the wealthy care about Trump as a candidate beyond "he doesn't have as good a shot at winning" but will back whoever has the R. I don't trust capital to not back fascism based on historical precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A personal anecdote so take it with a grain of salt, but I work for a Fortune 500 Company and Trump's tariffs hosed us up really badly, to the point our CEO sent us an email asking us to write letters to the White House demanding they end them.