Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've drilled the reinforcement pokeball input into my muscle memory and can do it easier than various fighting game inputs

But the real MVP of the strats is the orbital airburst due to the input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does the auto cannon count as an explosive weapon? Im still on baby difficulty usually but it's been fun to dive out of the way of a charger then autocannon mag dump it's rear end

yep. it has relatively light armor pen but has strong explosive damage (in a small aoe) so it's one of the few weapons that'll actually reliably bust a charger butt outside the rockets

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Oneiros posted:

was "you can actually wear a shield pack" supposed to be a downside?

Go back a few pages, maybe trawl through my thread post history, I've talked about this enough.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

explosivo posted:

The weapon balance discourse around this game has gotten so goddamn weird so fast.

Can't wait for them to do some buffs to make other interesting loadouts a bit more viable so people can stop talking about this.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What's the deal with dropping samples at extraction again?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

just means that if you die while off across the map you don't need to do a corpse run to retrieve the samples

if you mean "how", uh, on pc you hold "x" and get a radial menu to drop stuff including samples

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Eason the Fifth posted:

they stay there so if someone runs into a stalker lair and eats it you don't have to hike across the map and stalker hell to get their 6 super samples back

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
The weirdest thing I find about the meta discourse is that, in my limited experience, a diverse group performs better than one that all has the same thing going on.
Having one person with a robot laser buddy helps mop up smaller bugs so everyone can stay focused on bigger threats and objectives. All four having it would be carnage.
Someone running an autocannon means they can hit a bunch of objectives from across the map like spore spewer/broadcast tower/factory for you. Sure that's one less railgun - but they can do something no-one else can.
That fellow Helldiver holding a Diligence who is focused on doming the rocket bots and turret-a-trons is doing work to keep the Breaker boys alive.
The person who brought the EAT is gonna be the only one with their Support weapon up if you get into a failure spiral, and your best chance to bust out of it.

Embrace uniqueness!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'll never not take 3 eagles and a weapon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love my little guard dog and gently caress you if you get mad about it

Also if you kick someone bc they don’t have the right load outs you’re a automaton

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

apostateCourier posted:

I've already detailed several downsides.

You haven't listed any that aren't true of every other weapon (but less so), though.

Edit: Actually I went back through your posts like you said and I couldn't find you listing any. Huh. guess that was someone else, now I don't even know what you're saying.

Spudd posted:

I'll never not take 3 eagles and a weapon

I honestly keep coming back to Machine Gun, EATs, Air Strike, Orbital Laser

Other stuff might be better, but those four are just so damned satisfying. Sometimes I'll swap out the air strike for gas, if the planet doesn't have scattering.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 28, 2024

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

We should be able to take over the Scout Striders' walkers.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

We should be able to take over the Scout Striders' walkers.

There were several varieties of player controlled mechs in the first game so it's only a matter of time before we can get some mech on walker action, at least.

I really hope we get the sidecar motorcycle from the first game too, I loved that thing and it'd be super useful given the map sizes in this one.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

There were several varieties of player controlled mechs in the first game so it's only a matter of time before we can get some mech on walker action, at least.

I really hope we get the sidecar motorcycle from the first game too, I loved that thing and it'd be super useful given the map sizes in this one.

who reloads in that weapon team? Driving distracted is clearly undemocratic but letting bugs go unshot from a motorcycle side car is ALSO undemocratic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As someone who's learning the game through the bot front, vehicles would just make me paranoid about tripping every alarm within a square kilometre as soon as I fire up the engine.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

You haven't listed any that aren't true of every other weapon (but less so), though.

Edit: Actually I went back through your posts like you said and I couldn't find you listing any. Huh. guess that was someone else, now I don't even know what you're saying.

I mean, now you're either not paying attention or I don't know what else.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

MissMarple posted:

The weirdest thing I find about the meta discourse is that, in my limited experience, a diverse group performs better than one that all has the same thing going on.
Having one person with a robot laser buddy helps mop up smaller bugs so everyone can stay focused on bigger threats and objectives. All four having it would be carnage.
Someone running an autocannon means they can hit a bunch of objectives from across the map like spore spewer/broadcast tower/factory for you. Sure that's one less railgun - but they can do something no-one else can.
That fellow Helldiver holding a Diligence who is focused on doming the rocket bots and turret-a-trons is doing work to keep the Breaker boys alive.
The person who brought the EAT is gonna be the only one with their Support weapon up if you get into a failure spiral, and your best chance to bust out of it.

Embrace uniqueness!

It's harder with this game, but I usually go like this as a "spot-filler" role in pug missions. I used to do it all the time in the Division 2 and really enjoyed filling whatever role.

I'm doing my part! lol!

E: I like to imagine that the Helldiver music during the dive is just blasting through the capsule's speaker.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darth Walrus posted:

As someone who's learning the game through the bot front, vehicles would just make me paranoid about tripping every alarm within a square kilometre as soon as I fire up the engine.

That's good, they'll chase you and not be able to catch up

Honestly I just hope they have a 2-man ATV/motorcycle, like the Mongoose from Halo. I don't need fighting vehicles, just moving vehicles.

e: Now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't be against Warthogs and Mongooses. Man, gently caress Microsoft for not making a Halo: ODST version of this game

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
The autocannon is so fun. Granted I play at levels 5/6 currently but haven't even bothered to unlock the railgun mostly out of spite but also because the AC is so good and fun to use. I can regularly take out chargers to the point where I will head right at them as soon as I see one and deal with them matador style. Sometimes a fellow diver will help load and when that happens you become a human turret of death. With a buddy loader you can absolutely shred everything in a bug breach with little effort (sometimes Chargers before they even get moving). A couple nights ago I played an operation with a level 44 and level 9 and they would jump on to load whenever I would crouch which made things go quite smoothly. Of course that doesn’t always happen but when it does, going ham with the AC is pure destructive fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darth Walrus posted:

the mech that they've shown has a gatling gun and missile launcher pod on it and looks incredibly fast so i think that setting off alarms would be ok

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

apostateCourier posted:

I mean, now you're either not paying attention or I don't know what else.

Boy I hope yall keep dancing around eachother instead of just re-quoting the post so this argument can be put to rest because this is just riveting to read

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Hi everyone! I’m eager to do my part! Just got a PS5 and am about to start downloading the game. From what I’ve seen the best experience is with a crew, but the Discord invites in the first post are dead- anyone willing to take me on a field trip to an ugly planet? A bug planet?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
its crazy how fast high difficulty gets normalised. a few days ago i tried diff 7 and noped out of there, today themostfrench and i twomanned three helldiver (diff 9) missions and I'm headshotting titans with a railgun from across the map

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ess posted:

who reloads in that weapon team? Driving distracted is clearly undemocratic but letting bugs go unshot from a motorcycle side car is ALSO undemocratic.

Tbh I don't remember, I think the sidecar occupant reloaded but most of the vehicles had limited reloads.

My favorite was the treaded two man tank destroyer. The gunner had limited traverse in that so the driver really had to cooperate with aiming- and the drivers controls were true tank style, with each thumbstick controlling the corresponding side's tread. It could be hilarious and very powerful against armored enemies (chargers, looking at you)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I don't think I've figured out the art to the 120mm orbital barrage - it feels like it has an unfortunate combination of extreme inaccuracy and narrow blast radii for the projectiles that mean dropping it on stuff won't actually do anything most of the time. Is there a trick to it, or is it just bad?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Darth Walrus posted:

So I don't think I've figured out the art to the 120mm orbital barrage - it feels like it has an unfortunate combination of extreme inaccuracy and narrow blast radii for the projectiles that mean dropping it on stuff won't actually do anything most of the time. Is there a trick to it, or is it just bad?

It's just bad. Some people say it's okay if you have multiple people in a squad throwing them out at the same time but then more people are dedicating slots to something that should probably be better used as an Eagle strike or something else that can reliably blow up what you want it to with minimal risk to the group.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah as an avowed fan of the barrages, even though I know they're largely bad, I won't use the 120. It doesn't do ANYTHING. The 380 is such a spectacle though, I love it

I've also found that the barrages are also generally much better against bots than bugs because bug nests have those curved walls that block a lot of shots.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sindai posted:

Doming hulks with the AMR is so satisfying. :synpa:

What's the best weapon for dealing with berserker packs? It's so much easier dealing with 1 hulk than 4-6 berserkers.
Me: You only have to hit them twice in the face it's not so bad
Also me: *suffers from a major case of Skill Issue*
https://i.imgur.com/kflU9UT.mp4

explosivo posted:

The weapon balance discourse around this game has gotten so goddamn weird so fast.
Let's be honest it gets weird real fast in any game, especially because there's a lot of people that don't understand that just because something is the overall best, doesn't mean that 1) everything else is useless and 2) there aren't still use cases where something else may work better

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Let's be honest it gets weird real fast in any game, especially because there's a lot of people that don't understand that just because something is the overall best, doesn't mean that 1) everything else is useless and 2) there aren't still use cases where something else may work better

Kicking people for non meta builds is just cringe in a pvp game let alone a pve game. Especially if that person isn't literally dying 24/7.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The persistent cultural need to only ever run meta builds is a cancer among all games.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Insert name here posted:

Me: You only have to hit them twice in the face it's not so bad
Also me: *suffers from a major case of Skill Issue*
https://i.imgur.com/kflU9UT.mp4

That Scorcher looks like it deliberately didnt roast you, a traitor amongst bots

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Risky Bisquick posted:

That Scorcher looks like it deliberately didnt roast you, a traitor amongst bots
I legit have no clue how it didn't burn me to death there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are the skulls on the robots the skulls of capitalist pig-dogs?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jokes posted:

Are the skulls on the robots the skulls of capitalist pig-dogs?

No they're windchimes

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I joined a Suicide Mission bot run last night, and what a wild ride that was. I joined the host, and then we had two more join in short order. Host dies once, peaces out. Then one of the other pubbies died twice to some BS (the host did basically drop us next to bases and a tank to start the mission) and also peaced out. So it was just me and one last pubbie.

But goddamn, that last Russian pubbie showed me the light.

Here I am running around with 'meta' (Railgun, Shield Backpack, and Orbital Laser) and that madlad ran around with an Autocannon, Gas Strike, and Orbital Laser (Anti-Air meant we only had three stratagems). Bro was so good with that loadout it felt like he was cheesing the mission. I learned that Gas Strike dropped on a bot fabricator will destroy it, and the cooldown for Gas Strike is just over a minute if you have L3 guns so it's something you can have up and available fairly consistently. Dude also showed me that Autocannon is hilariously good against Tanks and cannon towers - three shots to the weak spot on those and they are done, which is something the Railgun simply can't do.

Anyways, that Russian and I ran around and did the entire mission together, collected tons of samples, and I think I only died once after we started rolling together. Felt like we were straight out of a buddy-cop movie.

From then on out, even in Suicide bot missions, I started leaving my Railgun and Backpack at home in favor of the Autocannon and Orbitals (Gas, Laser, and either the 380mm or Eagle Airstrike depending on my level of spice). And you know what? It works. I watched two dudes with Railguns and Backpacks flail around against a tank while I quietly maneuvered behind it, put three in the weak spot lickety-split, and watched it explode all without calling in any Orbitals or Eagles.

:feelsgood:

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 28, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gas sucks because it's not instant/direct damage and it's not as sexually pleasing as Eagle airstrikes/cluster bombs/500kg bombs

Also I love seeing people follow the meta and loving suck

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I love grenade launchers

that is all

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yeah, if you can stay mobile the autocannon is spectacular for robots. Three shots for the biggest things (tanks, turrets, hulks) and two for the mid-tier things, and one shot to a strider's legs will bring it down from distance.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Happened to click on an old trailer and it looks like there's already a load more destroyer upgrades in the pipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXddWD88jeI

You can see they start with the current level 3 hangar upgrade:

And then it upgrades three more times past that:

They show off something similar with the orbital guns as well. Better start saving those samples!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

free hubcaps posted:

Warframe is currently better than it ever has been so this is a weird analogy

it also only works in warframe because it's basically a completely different game. getting a crazy gun that can one hit kill an entire room full of the strongest enemies in the game works there because you're expected to kill hundreds or thousands of them in a mission. and the difficulty in those missions either continuously increases until you fail or are trivial enough that you're expected to basically play the game like you're speedrunning a third person platformer.