Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s always a small shot I think of. It’s an apocalypse ep, and Egon pulls his collar up just before the final battle. As he’s standing there, it’s fluttering in the wind, and it’s so good looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As with every Saturday morning cartoon, I mainly just wished that the show would look as good as the theme song sequence.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lobok posted:

As with every Saturday morning cartoon, I mainly just wished that the show would look as good as the theme song sequence.

Oh my god, yes. The consistent frame rate the detail, the colours... It's so good.

Also, apparently the ghost at the beginning (you know, the one in the sign) has a name? Something like moogie or like that?

The_Doctor posted:

There’s always a small shot I think of. It’s an apocalypse ep, and Egon pulls his collar up just before the final battle. As he’s standing there, it’s fluttering in the wind, and it’s so good looking.

This might actually be from Ragnarok and Roll. Or maybe it's when they were trapped in the boogeyman's lair.

Jfc, the only callback I ever really want to see is a film version of that loving boogeyman. That would be incredible.

Also, there exists a few shots of what Vigo looked like as he walked out of the painting, which is what they were going to do before they just made him disappear and reappear, and they are chilling.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 5, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, yes. The consistent frame rate the detail, the colours... It's so good.

Also, I have to admit, before I even knew why I really really liked the shot of Janine blowing a kiss.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My oldest niece is a huge anime fan; I got my mom to show her "Ragnarok and Roll" recently, and now they're blaring through the Lorenzo Music era of RGB. They're having a blast.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Given that the costumes and gear from RGB are available to be worn and used in Spirits Unleashed, now that I've seen and heard this, I'm upset it's not an option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4ffHqItes

I'm well aware of how music licensing works, but like... C'mon, this should be able to happen. I know I'd pay for the RGB soundtrack as official DLC, help offset the composer royalties that would likely be due (unless they signed them away, who knows).

And because the game is so tied to online, it's not like you could just go to the Steam workshop or wherever and mod your game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lobok posted:

God yes, the opening is gorgeous. The colours and lights and shading all pop, and it’s got that 80s/early 90s warmth that cartoons don’t have any more.

This might actually be from Ragnarok and Roll. Or maybe it's when they were trapped in the boogeyman's lair.

Also, there exists a few shots of what Vigo looked like as he walked out of the painting, which is what they were going to do before they just made him disappear and reappear, and they are chilling.

You might be right, I’ll give it a watch later.

Where can I see these shots?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

God yes, the opening is gorgeous. The colours and lights and shading all pop, and it’s got that 80s/early 90s warmth that cartoons don’t have any more.

You might be right, I’ll give it a watch later.

Where can I see these shots?

I have no idea. I just tried googling for them, and they do exist, but it's kind of ridiculous how hard they are to find. Keep in mind, they're just stills, or maybe even photos, not actual video.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
You mean these? https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/comments/qbygu2/instead_of_turning_into_the_floating_head_vigo/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That could have been so cool. The Ring but with a painting and not a television. And many years earlier, obviously.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nope, not them. It was literally a shot of his head, looking much more evil with I think glowing eyes, where he looked more like a devil, pushing out of the flat painting. I'll keep looking.

Edit: goddammit, I swear this is real. I'm shocked how difficult it is to find. I even just consulted Daniel Wallace's Ghostbusters Ultimate Visual History book, and unless I missed a page, it's not there either.

I literally messaged Ghostbusters News/Jason Fitzsimmons on FB to see if he knows what I'm referring to.

The face almost looked like a classic vampire monster face; not as humanoid as Dracula, but really loving evil and scary looking, more like the vampire in Midnight Mass.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 6, 2024

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I honestly wish they’d expanded on Shandor being alive in Afterlife. He’s there for 30 seconds, and then done.

Him being a cult leader who hosed off and died decades before his plans came to fruition was the most interesting thing about Shandor. Lorehorning him back into the series is the ideal example of "don't give the fans what they want."

gregday
May 23, 2003

In 2026 we get Ghostbusters: Young Shandor

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nope, not them. It was literally a shot of his head, looking much more evil with I think glowing eyes, where he looked more like a devil, pushing out of the flat painting. I'll keep looking.

Edit: goddammit, I swear this is real. I'm shocked how difficult it is to find. I even just consulted Daniel Wallace's Ghostbusters Ultimate Visual History book, and unless I missed a page, it's not there either.

I literally messaged Ghostbusters News/Jason Fitzsimmons on FB to see if he knows what I'm referring to.

The face almost looked like a classic vampire monster face; not as humanoid as Dracula, but really loving evil and scary looking, more like the vampire in Midnight Mass.
Hang on a tick. I remember this too. Was it maybe from the book you could get out of the Scholastic catalog? I had that as a kid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Hang on a tick. I remember this too. Was it maybe from the book you could get out of the Scholastic catalog? I had that as a kid.

I'm not sure, because I only saw this recently, like in the past 5 or so years. I may have even posted it itt, but I don't have time to look through everything right now.

Edit: also, Jason just got back to me saying he's not familiar with it, which I find surprising. If this is found, it could literally be news to him, THE Ghostbusters guy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Frighteners box art?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
When I saw GB2 as a kid, I was so scared of the big Vigo head at the end, I had to turn around and look at the tiny film in the projector in the cinema.

Then my dad took me for a GB2 Wimpy meal with a "Ghost in a can" and pink slime milkshake.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

moths posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Frighteners box art?

We're both almost certainly thinking of a different movie, but I remember it being in motion,kinda'?

Maybe we've got it jumbled up with Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

We're both almost certainly thinking of a different movie, but I remember it being in motion,kinda'?

Maybe we've got it jumbled up with Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit.

Now Judge Doom had me burying my face into my dad’s arm as a kid, especially that end scene. :stonk:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LividLiquid posted:

The VHS has a cool lenticular cover that was animated!

There's also a Nightmare on Elm St sequence where Freddy poked his face through a ceiling:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They hit a home run by casting that really scary looking guy as Vigo(he also appears in Die Hard and In the Mouth of Madness). Because of course the situation is goofy as hell and no adults watching are really going to be scared by it, but then you cast that guy and it's a super simple way to make sure that any kids watching are gonna have nightmares. And then Von Sydow's voice is just the icing on the cake.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Basebf555 posted:

They hit a home run by casting that really scary looking guy as Vigo(he also appears in Die Hard and In the Mouth of Madness). Because of course the situation is goofy as hell and no adults watching are really going to be scared by it, but then you cast that guy and it's a super simple way to make sure that any kids watching are gonna have nightmares. And then Von Sydow's voice is just the icing on the cake.

That guy's life story is absolutely wild and kind of tragic too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

so if you click through the comments in that reddit post there are links few different other posts/articles linked including some different behind the scenes art and takes with the actor in the modeled version of the painting as well as some cool concept art of Vigo's head:

there's also a super sped up behind the scenes feature which might have what you are talking about, it shows what looks like Vigo pushing his gauntleted hand out of the picture but then possibly a shot of the face you are talking about :

admittedly super blurry because of the low quality plus insane frame rate, but slightly easier to see in the actual video -- starts at about 1:53 at this link:

https://www.facebook.com/100047613976239/videos/963358650401142

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

so if you click through the comments in that reddit post there are links few different other posts/articles linked including some different behind the scenes art and takes with the actor in the modeled version of the painting as well as some cool concept art of Vigo's head:

there's also a super sped up behind the scenes feature which might have what you are talking about, it shows what looks like Vigo pushing his gauntleted hand out of the picture but then possibly a shot of the face you are talking about :

admittedly super blurry because of the low quality plus insane frame rate, but slightly easier to see in the actual video -- starts at about 1:53 at this link:

https://www.facebook.com/100047613976239/videos/963358650401142

Yeah, I saw those, but they aren't it. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Absolutely. Also, have you seen the original version of Vigo coming out of the painting? Holy shiiiiit :stare:

It's here a little ways down the page.

Anyway, saw this, thought it was pretty good:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

For quick reference:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

Vigo himself didn't freak me out. If I put the scariest parts from least to most, it'd be Vigo-Ray, Slime Tub, heads on pikes in the subway, and then Eyebeam Janosz in the darkened hallway.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

For quick reference:

Jesus. Now that would have been terrifying.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why do I remember that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I remember seeing a photo in a magazine (maybe starlog or starburst) about the time of GB2 of the Statue of Liberty with a slightly cartoonish but monstrous face. It looked like a mock-up /concept of what they could do. It may not have been GB2-related at all, just the timing seems to match up.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This?

That's from Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History. An abandoned concept of Viggo haunting Libby it seems.

The book is pretty good imo btw.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 8, 2024

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The Ayatollah of Liberty

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Why do I remember that?

Well, I did post a before itt. :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

This?

That's from Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History. An abandoned concept of Viggo haunting Libby it seems.

The book is pretty good imo btw.

Huh, interestingly that’s not it! But that’s fascinating to learn!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XK4x_OSq9U

The "possessor" reminds me of the copycat from the RGB.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Also, apparently the ghost at the beginning (you know, the one in the sign) has a name? Something like moogie or like that?

Jfc, the only callback I ever really want to see is a film version of that loving boogeyman. That would be incredible.

I think it's the scene after this (and apologies for linking my own twitter), where they're standing there about to be blown to poo poo and are sort of dealing with it in their own way and all Egon says is "Janine" and god, Maurice LaMarche just absolutely loving nails the delivery

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/1756375904740061562

but this is so rich, the detail in the backgrounds & the sheer density of plot and exposition

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well I got my daughter her proton pack and wand, and then I added some paint, a ribbon cable, and decals...

I printed the decals for free off the internet and applied them with a glue stick. Figure that's good enough for a child's toy. These things really look pretty good for $15 toys though.

Now I should see if she wants to customize it herself with stickers or whatever. And maybe attach a tube going from the pack to the blaster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well I got my daughter her proton pack and wand, and then I added some paint, a ribbon cable, and decals...

Dang that looks great

gregday
May 23, 2003

Finally got my hands on an original 1983 Seiko M516 in working condition, for a not-insane price (you can find these on eBay in the $2k-3k range). This was pretty much the last 1984 GB outfit piece I was missing. I’d still like an Egon MiniRad made from an original though.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I can’t wait to see all the hijinks the mini stay pufts get into!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kevyn posted:

What's the over/under we get a yellow snow joke with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kevyn posted:

I hate this so much. Olaf-rear end motherfucker.