Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Just saw this tweet and it's something I didn't know about, seems like good info for this thread
https://twitter.com/starrdiver/status/1761875498253144254

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For some reason the cast bar/effect of Angry Man's mortal gaze is not synced the same way almost every other telegraphed attack is (ping issue?), there's a noticeable delay *after* he finishes the cast when I can still look away and avoid the doom, or catch if if I'm quick to turn towards the boss again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

orcane posted:

For some reason the cast bar/effect of Angry Man's mortal gaze is not synced the same way almost every other telegraphed attack is (ping issue?), there's a noticeable delay *after* he finishes the cast when I can still look away and avoid the doom, or catch if if I'm quick to turn towards the boss again.

A small number of mechanics are tied to the animation instead of the cast bar for some reason and there is no way to tell other than experience which is which.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For gaze mechanics like that I basically always wait until the animation resolves just in case. Sometimes a visible wave emanates from the boss and I wait until that goes out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You'll typically get a dodge notification in your floating text as soon as the snapshot registers, so if the animation is a bit goofy you can just base it on that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gazes in particular tend to be weird about that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just check the party list and wait to see someone fail before I turn back around

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
One thing to note is that if you do get Doomed by Angra Mainyu, you can cleanse it by standing on the lit up circle in the arena. Also there's a gaze when the hourglasses are targetable so it's important to face away from the boss while killing the hourglasses or know where that lit up circle is.

On the topic of curing Doom, for newer players: There will be other Dooms in later content but the usual ways to cure them are for a healer to use Esuna if there's a white bar above the Doom debuff, or to heal the player to full if there's no bar above the debuff.

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 26, 2024

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
For the Angra Mainyu fight, do you also get killed from standing on the same color half of the arena twice in a row, or just take damage? I forget.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

For the Angra Mainyu fight, do you also get killed from standing on the same color half of the arena twice in a row, or just take damage? I forget.

Every time you stand in the same color you take more damage, which will likely be fatal after about two of those.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a point to this NPC squadron stuff in the Grand Companies? I feel like it's just making some numbers bigger for some NPC's and a sink for my GC space bucks for no gain to my character himself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there a point to this NPC squadron stuff in the Grand Companies? I feel like it's just making some numbers bigger for some NPC's and a sink for my GC space bucks for no gain to my character himself.
I leveled it up in order to get access to certain materials/as an easy passive way to make gil, also access to some alright glams if you want to dress up as a GC soldier.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you reach the GC rank of captain you get access to buying loot boxes containing ARR-StB minions and rarely some mounts for GC space bucks.

Otherwise no it’s kinda depreciated content.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can get personal buffs similar to FC buffs. I use +15% Grand Company seal ones frequently and the +15% MGP are good if the FC is slow switching buffs over in time for Cactpot.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

Once you Rank up and reach the point of being able to run Command Missions (which are dungeons alongside three of your Squadron members), completing 10 successful Command Missions will unlock three emotes.

Beyond that? No, you're absolutely correct.

As for the Command Missions themselves, while they have access to some dungeons that aren't in the MSQ, overall Duty Support is a better feature, and I've seen it rumored that Command Missions might be removed entirely at some point. I think their damage is better, and I think they take reduced AoE damage, but are absolutely dumb as rocks and you need to constantly tell them what to do and what to attack, and they are 100% incapable of dealing with any boss mechanics, making some of the potential dungeons you can do with them absolute nightmares.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it's the only way to get the push-ups/sit-ups/squats emotes, which personally I think are essential for any character. do push-ups when a party member is taking too long at the MB.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sunday Morning posted:

You can get personal buffs similar to FC buffs. I use +15% Grand Company seal ones frequently and the +15% MGP are good if the FC is slow switching buffs over in time for Cactpot.

There's also a reduced teleport fees one if your FC isn't already running that and you haven't done enough Blue Mage to the point that teleport fees no longer matter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I already get more gil from the daily roulette than I spend teleporting around. I'm literally maxed out at 300k gil as a FTP player.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
If you keep running Command missions with squad members, they unlock Battle Tactics randomly (and might randomly not unlock one) after each. There are four kinds and the only important one is Offensive. At rank 5 it gives +60% damage for the squad member who has it, so they can match or possibly beat roulettes with players and will be faster than duty support.

Main downsides here are:
* as with many XIV legacy systems, it's a pain in the rear end to get up there
* there's a very limited selection of dungeons available
* they cost GC seals to run, though the gear you get from it helps with that

It's hard to recommend really. I have a squad full of lv60 offense 5 guys and I have no classes under level 70 so I never run with them any more.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nitrousoxide posted:

I already get more gil from the daily roulette than I spend teleporting around. I'm literally maxed out at 300k gil as a FTP player.

Yeah that's normal. There's not much to spend gil on without market board or housing access.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like the MGP bonus items, personally.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nitrousoxide posted:

As a free player I became obsessed with hunting down every mount, minion, orchestrion roll, or anything else I could buy with gil just to stop wasting so much. I loaded up on like 999 gyshal greens, glamour dispellers, and I think I even bought the ingredients to make a ton of my own glamour prisms. That gil limit is harsh.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Engage with the squadron system just enough to make Captain in your GC and then never touch it again, imo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I send my squadron on weekly missions still and profit from the results plus never have to worry about running out of squadron manuals.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K63akjLDglI

The outfit and hairstyle are single player only. You grammar dadjokers :colbert:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I approve of all these classic rock quest names at the end of ARR's MSQ.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nitrousoxide posted:

I approve of all these classic rock quest names at the end of ARR's MSQ.

Oh, it doesn't stop.

Obviously massive spoilers on this page, but you can get the gist of how dorky they are with the injokes just by browsing the table of contents here..

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV_allusions/Other_media

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am gonna play this game now that it's on Xbox.

something about the flat skin textures mixed with beautiful lighting and high resolution makes it look like like OG Playstation pre-rendered cut scene graphics and that rules

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The skin textures are getting an overhaul with the next expansion, along with the lighting and general resolution of objects. But I think the game's graphics do a great job with the visual style they want. After you get past the first chunk of the story they'll also get much better at facial expressions and emotes

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are some really good emotes. Like there's a bunch of original dances inspired by traditional dances, various eating emotes, a fake cellphone emote (that is diagetic to the setting even), and lots of facial expressions and just wacky stuff.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, there really are like 30 minutes of credits after ARR's end like a single player game huh? lol

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Every expansion has a lengthy credits sequence. You get used to it or you skip it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every expansion has *two* lengthy credits sequence.

You get it after the end of the X.0 content (the base ARR, HW, etc. stuff) as well as the end of the .55 patch content.

They're also broken up into multiple scenes, so you can skip the credits crawl if you want and if there are post credits scenes, you will still see them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
there's buttons to fast forward and skip the credits, they roll credit at the end of every expansion so don't feel bad about using them. Also I believe for ARR, they listed every legacy player who stuck around from 1.0 to ARR.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I remember being told to not skip the ARR credits until you reach the meteor survivors section, then just skip. Forgot that was a thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Can I switch the language back to English at this point? Or will it still be... uh... "interesting" direction?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the voice actor stable got revamped at some point right where you're around, i'm not exactly sure where. i would rather listen to bad VA in a language i understand and I only speak English, so i'm not the best person to answer the q.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The original cast finds its footing somewhere along the patch MSQ, and then everyone except for any new characters gets recast the moment Heavensward starts. I think HW EN VAs start off a little shaky, but it's better than how ARR kicks off and gets better as it goes into the 3.x patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically the VAs had no direction until 2.1 and then they all got replaced when they switched studios from LA to London with 3.0