Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

glassyalabolas posted:

Did they ever utilize the light on the home button?

For Ring Fit Adventure it's integrated with an timer telling you to exercise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

Did they ever utilize the light on the home button?

for alarms on ringfit i think?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Did anything ever use the camera in the joycon other than 12 switch and Labo

Ring fit used this too. You put a thumb on it and it could tell your heart rate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Did anything ever use the camera in the joycon other than 12 switch and Labo
A list stolen from Destructoid:

• 1/2 Switch: Used for the Eating Contest minigame.
  • Nintendo Labo: Usable as an input tool in Labo creations, can read reflective marks on the cardboard on the official Labo kits.
  • Game Builder Garage: Usable as an input tool in creations.
  • Ring Fit Adventure: Checks your heartrate.
  • Resident Evil Revelations: Cover the sensor to reload!
  • Spy Alarm: A shovelware app that uses the IR sensor as a motion detector.
  • Night Vision: A shovelware app that tries to repurpose the IR sensor as a night-vision camera.
  • Brain Age/Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training: Some minigames can detect hand motions and hand signals.
  • Smile Basic 4: Programming software. The IR sensor can be used as an input device.
  • Ninjala: Used to scan special trading cards to unlock cosmetics.
  • Vitamin Connection: Used to interact with a maze mechanic via distance calculations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new Warioware uses it too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I see. :cheerdoge:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I miss Nintendo Labo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think trombone champ does, as well.
Can probably ask a dev on here, I think?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I just picked up a physical copy of Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Best Buy has it on sale for $42.99. What a wonderful day to own a Nintendo Switch Console, can’t wait to swallow vending machines and what not

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

positing Forgotten Land may be the best Kirby game period. enjoy, gamer

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
kirby sucks

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
as he should :kirby:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BigDumper posted:

I just picked up a physical copy of Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Best Buy has it on sale for $42.99. What a wonderful day to own a Nintendo Switch Console, can’t wait to swallow vending machines and what not

Insanely good game. Best game on the Switch mayhaps. Enjoy gamer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hearing rumors that the Switch 2 will launch with a remaster of Forgotten Land, at 60fps. Insiders are calling it the "Greatest game ever made"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hearing rumors that the Switch 2 will launch with a remaster of Forgotten Land, at 60fps. Insiders are calling it the "Greatest game ever made"

shut up and take my mahfuggin money!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I would absolutely pay $70 because as fun as the game is the background enemies moving at 12fps is still incredibly distracting lol.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

symbolic posted:

i simply play Switch games on my Nintendo Switch? not sure what the issue here is?
:same:

Endorph posted:

i play switch games on my pc because im too broke to buy them. also one of my joycons broke and im too broke to buy a new one so handheld mode is hosed.
Nintendo will repair your joycons for free :eng101:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

B33rChiller posted:

Any new Kirby's on the horizon?

Honestly I’d be fine if Kirb took a break for a minute, he’s been eating really good on the Switch. (Unless they want to port Air Ride with online or make a new City Trial, I want those things so bad)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Snufkin game looks pleasant, and I'm glad they're playing to his strengths (wondering where Moomintroll is, destroying private property, pissing off cops, thinking about Moomintroll)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

symbolic posted:

positing Forgotten Land may be the best Kirby game period. enjoy, gamer

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

KirbyMFDM SUCKS!

SkeletonHero posted:

Snufkin game looks pleasant, and I'm glad they're playing to his strengths (wondering where Moomintroll is, destroying private property, pissing off cops, thinking about Moomintroll)
I saw a wanderbot video of an early preview build for pc(I think) a while back. It was just the opening level or so, and it looks charming and really well made. Apparently gives off vibes of being fans of the original works. Not a slap dash license deal.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 28, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

KirbyMFDM SUCKS!

And swallows and spits

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

B33rChiller posted:

Any new Kirby's on the horizon?

probably. 2-3 years is the standard wait for new main Kirby games and Forgotten Land is gonna be 2 years old soon. Star Allies to Forgotten Land was a 4-year gap but they were rebuilding the gameplay from scratch in 3D for that one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

probably. 2-3 years is the standard wait for new main Kirby games and Forgotten Land is gonna be 2 years old soon. Star Allies to Forgotten Land was a 4-year gap but they were rebuilding the gameplay from scratch in 3D for that one.

They typically release a few spinoff games in between though so I wouldn’t be surprised if we get something this year even if it’s not a mainline title

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Not that we know of but HAL is apparently recruiting for new projects so I imagine we might see something eventually (even if it’s just another side game)

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/01/kirby-developer-hal-laboratory-recruiting-for-new-projects

Those are often the best ones.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Would be great if the Forgotten Land sequel sticks Kirby in a Mech again. Planet Robobot was so good & it would be great to have the Mech Suit in 3D.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pepper Grinder demo is a lot of fun. I somehow launched myself into space by exiting the dirt at a weird angle but forgot to clip it. new speedrun tech discovered???

Also wanna give my recommendation for Penny's Big Breakaway. Very fun and fluid 3D platformer by the makers of Sonic Mania. Same composer too and the music is predictably great.
It's kinda like a cross between Sonic and Kirby Forgotten Land. The controls have a bit of a learning curve if you wanna do fancy tricks but it feels great to launch yourself around at high speeds and maintain huge combos. If you want to just play it as a chill 3D platformer where you go at your own place and comb the stage for collectibles the game's perfectly fun like that too. Only real complaint I have is that the weirdly inconsistent length of zones, some have like 5 acts and a boss while others only have 2-3 and no boss, it feels pretty arbitrary. Also the Switch version is at 30fps vs 60fps on other platforms so keep that in mind if it's something you care about. It's a pretty consistent 30fps tho, at least in docked, haven't tried it in handheld since I don't think the joycons would feel good for a game like this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

B33rChiller posted:

I think trombone champ does, as well.
Can probably ask a dev on here, I think?

Fellow good Polo-Rican is the dev behind Holy Wow Studios / Trombone Champ.

Also, man.... I'm always more excited to see the announcement of new NSO retro titles than I am to play them. "Oooh! A bunch of Rare games!" and then I play 5 minutes of Snake Rattle and Roll. "Holy gently caress, they re-released Goldeneye!" and then I never touch it after playing through the campaign and unlocking some of the other cheats.

But those announcement videos are always :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 28, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imagine if illegal things disappeared overnight

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Oooh! A bunch of Rare games!" and then I play 5 minutes of Snake Rattle and Roll.

Speaking as someone who played SR&R as a little kid and had barely any idea what the hell I was doing, to say nothing of the precise, pivoting jumps the game often required, it's nice to revisit as an adult with more skill and a handy rewind function.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay, what law does that action break?

17 USC 1201(b)(1)

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

better than sonys tablet with bisected ps5 controller

I bought one. It rules.

Because I am an adult with a job and children it's extremely irresponsible of me to fart around and play video games all day, or when I have to be a parent and set an example that isn't "never put on pants and attach myself to the ps5."

I play my ps5 with the portal like I play my switch. In bed when the kids are asleep as god intended.

Is it dumb? Yeah, but I really like playing my Switch handheld and now I like my ps5 the same way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Augus posted:

Also the Switch version is at 30fps vs 60fps on other platforms so keep that in mind if it's something you care about.

I’ve nearly finished the game and I don’t think I would’ve even known that without being told. It feels incredibly smooth.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the internet used to be so good :smith:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Because I am an adult with a job and children I play my ps5

Rub it in, why don'tcha :negative:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I bought one. It rules.

Because I am an adult with a job and children it's extremely irresponsible of me to fart around and play video games all day, or when I have to be a parent and set an example that isn't "never put on pants and attach myself to the ps5."

I play my ps5 with the portal like I play my switch. In bed when the kids are asleep as god intended.

Is it dumb? Yeah, but I really like playing my Switch handheld and now I like my ps5 the same way.

This is all well and good, except for the part where you're playing FailStation and not Wintendo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
having children sounds like hell and i would never share my video games with them, gently caress no.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
children are very bad at games and i can defeat most of them easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

children are very bad at games and i can defeat most of them easily

My son is very good at Fortnite but I bet he's really bad at like Quake 3 or Half Life.

Those are the last fps games I was good at.