Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately it is for the entrance to an industrial facility so it probably won’t be destroying any of the cars that really deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Strangelet Wave posted:

man keep your phone in your pocket, watch the light turn green, and you’re the fukkin’ kwizatz haderach compared to everyone else on the gd road

imagine typing out the perfect response at a red light, hitting post when it turns orange and seeing the "you're on probation. Take a break!" when it's good to go.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

How it all started: I work in a large tech company in Silicon Valley so luckily my worksite provides food, gym and a shower. The biggest drawback was my commute and gas. I remember my first month spending $500 on gas alone on top of over 40 hours of commuting for that month. So I decided to take my money and the time I could have spent sleeping back. A year later here I am. I thank car camping for enabling me to save on resources and for being that first step of developing a minimalist mindset.

I park near my worksite from Sunday evening to Thursday followed by going home Fridays and typically fill up 2-3 times a month. Some weekends I won’t even go home but rather spend that time exploring places within distance due to saving on fuel/wear and tear. I’ve also gotten to a point where I know where I will park that night. Residential areas, in-door parking lots and with a little common sense, down the street from my work site. I know this is only temporary but I am truly appreciative for these lessons.

The biggest thing is just making it work for you. If you don’t have the same luxury as I do, dedicate some planning to ensure things like the laundromat, gym, and food situation is within close proximity. (To save the most money and make things convenient) Reset your interior and keep things sectioned off. Also prepare for each season weather-wise as well as a solution for mosquitos/bugs slipping through your cracked windows. (I learned the hard way one time) As for me, I will continue doing this for as long as I can. Feel free to ask any questions!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Brookline is a loving nightmare because the main drag through the neighborhood’s business district is a four lane road where people do 35+ routinely. It’s a walkable street where you absolutely should feel fine with letting your kids do their thing but the city widened the road and now everyone drives like a maniac there

Also Brookline is absolutely not well off

Internet tells me $67k median household income

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All hail the bollard, the only guaranteed way to stop a car.

You obviously didn't listen to the boyfriend ASMR

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

I would rather die than live in a car

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weka posted:

Internet tells me $67k median household income

That's below US median household income ($74,580 in 2022)

I have lived in and around Brookline for 25 years. It is a blue collar working peoples' neighborhood with a large continent of Syrian and Lebanese immigrants and you should probably talk to people who have lived there before spouting this poo poo about how the kid and his family deserved it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I didn't say that idiot. I said they should not allow their child to endanger themselves. Do you think it's all good for 8 year olds to cycle around the area at dusk?
Slightly below median income in a rich country is well off.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka posted:

I didn't say that idiot. I said they should not allow their child to endanger themselves. Do you think it's all good for 8 year olds to cycle around the area at dusk?

ngl it sounds low key tony fr
Brookline Named Best Place To Be Rich And Single

www.cbsnews.com posted:

BROOKLINE (CBS) -- Single and looking for love?

One magazine says there's no better place to be than Brookline, Massachusetts -– if you can afford it.

The town has been ranked No. 1 by Money magazine in a list of best places to be rich and single.

Forty-four percent of those living in Brookline are unattached, and they're likely making good money, too. About one in five households earns more than $200,000 a year, compared to less than 5 percent across the country, Money reports.

Brookline is also one of the most well-educated communities, with more than half of residents holding a master's or professional degree, and 77 percent working in management, science or creative fields, according to Money.

The magazine cited Coolidge Corner as a hot spot for singles.

"When you put all these things together, it makes Brookline No. 1 on Money's list of best places to be rich and single," the magazine said.

It's a much more coveted list than the one Brookline landed on a few months ago when a real estate website dubbed it No. 3 among "snobbiest" small cities in America.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weka posted:

Wait your post wasn't a syq? I assumed you were pretending to be an rear end in a top hat

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what kind of a workplace provides regular food wtf

oh I get it he's cribbing other people's lunches from the communal fridge

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nah.

Catered food is a “perk” of “tech” companies to trick employees into spending more time at the office.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't understand why he still maintains a home that he barely visits.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't understand why he still maintains a home that he barely visits.

then hes not just homeless duh

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol I didn't even catch that, the car camping is solely to reduce the commute time and costs. incredible.

if only there was some kind of transportation solution for Silicon Valley that didn't involve everyone driving in their cars everyday...alas

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
40 hours a month commuting is like 40 minutes each way five days a week?

That's basically average?? lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/fruitybak/status/1762796983125950671?t=hIBC4jZzxQA479Vhca2CdQ&s=19

Apr 7, 2003

Weka posted:

Do you think it's all good for 8 year olds to cycle around the area at dusk?

......yes? Do you think children should be kept under lock and key after 4 PM, idiot?

Wrong Brookline

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
a few weeks ago I saw a big f150 riding up real close to a car near my house and I reflexively gave them the finger because I could tell their headlights were blinding this person.

then the truck turned onto my block and I realized it's the guy who lives down the street from me.

I felt a little bad until his wife nearly ran down my kids in her Cayenne on their way home from school last week.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

40 hours a month commuting is like 40 minutes each way five days a week?

That's basically average?? lol

no the average is less than 30 minutes one way

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

no the average is less than 30 minutes one way

40 minutes each way would still only be about 30 hours a month anyway

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Feb 28, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

40 minutes each way would still only be about 30 hours a week anyway

I don't think that's correct

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
22 working days in a month = 44 trips

44 trips * 30 minutes = 22 hours
44 trips * 40 minutes = 29.33 hours

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I don't think that's correct

80 minutes a day x 5 days in a week x 4.3 (average) weeks in a month divided by 60 minutes in an hour issss????

e: oh sorry i meant month my bad lol

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Feb 28, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

... how are you supposed to make your car payments only working 5 days a week?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

... how are you supposed to make your car payments only working 5 days a week?

Work a bullshit tech job with no real life usefulness?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lolling at the comments in this op thread

https://twitter.com/means_over/status/1762569017813074210

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The comments are all incredibly cursed. Don't recommend!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've not logged into twitter in like 6 months so I can't see comments!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

HOLY LOL

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

can confirm that Brookline, Massachusetts is rich af

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Some real “I’m glad the alligator ate that toddler” vibes itt rn

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

If you want to help the working class, allowing them to take pictures of people parked illegally and giving them a cut of the ticket sounds like a great idea.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

all of this and this person still needs a full up 2-3 times a month lmao

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Rochallor posted:

If you want to help the working class, allowing them to take pictures of people parked illegally and giving them a cut of the ticket sounds like a great idea.

seriously I’d make a loving killing in my neighborhood

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

do people use park-and-rides anymore?

there's one a block from my house that i can use free if i 'ride transit', and since they don't check passes any more, if it's gonna hail i park my miata in there for the day, buy a $3 one way pass at the rail side, then walk home. that way i have as much proof as i can get that i rode the train that day

e: theres 880 spots and its never more than 3-5% full. i sleep fine at nite

Jonny 290 has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Feb 28, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

there's one a block from my house that i can use free if i 'ride transit', and since they don't check passes any more, if it's gonna hail i park my miata in there for the day, buy a $3 one way pass at the rail side, then walk home. that way i have as much proof as i can get that i rode the train that day

e: theres 880 spots and its never more than 3-5% full. i sleep fine at nite

It’s people like you that push the working class poor into extreme poverty.

Most people can’t afford any emergency expense.

You’re just pushing people into poverty, youre not protecting anybody.

People like you that are so uptight. You’ll face the brunt of the blowback.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
oh I was actually thinking of all the park and ride caltrans carpool places, which are 90s as hell. not ones on a transit line and are just parking lots for a station

though those are also dead

I guess that makes some posts make more sense

Weka
May 5, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Some real “I’m glad the alligator ate that toddler” vibes itt rn

I think it's bad! I think it should be prevented! That's why I am opposed to these parents sending their child off to play in the swamp!

......yes? Do you think children should be kept under lock and key after 4 PM, idiot?

Wrong Brookline

So what is to stop them getting run over again, given everything that gets discussed in this thread? I just think 8 is a little young to be cycling around unsupervised.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wrong Brookline

ah. mea culpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Weka posted:

So what is to stop them getting run over again, given everything that gets discussed in this thread? I just think 8 is a little young to be cycling around unsupervised.

Can you give us your opinion on this particular case here

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/child-hit-vehicle-hazelwood-dies/