Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh we're just believing Saruman are we

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

euphronius posted:

So your interpretation is the river had free will to roll the ring ? Or the ring rolled itself by free will? Why didn’t Saruman say that

Why would he have to say it, what else would have?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The white council did at that time yes . Gandalf later says he was a fool to do so

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

The white council did at that time yes . Gandalf later says he was a fool to do so

So, Gandalf says that he was a fool to believe the things said, these same things that you are relying on for your argument. He said it was rolled into the sea. By whom? By no one, Saruman was lying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Eru. Manwe. Most likely Ulmo in this scenario

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

So, Gandalf says that he was a fool to believe the things said, these same things that you are relying on for your argument

I’m arguing what Saruman implied and what we should infer from his statement

No one should believe him. But that is more in hindsight.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

So Gollum's fall at Mt. Doom was just...luck?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

euphronius posted:

Eru. Manwe. Most likely Ulmo in this scenario

Why would they need to get involved at that point instead of letting the river do its thing?

Or, if Eru is going to get involved directly, why let it be made? Why not destroy it once it has been?

The Eagles intervention is much more credible to assign to Manwë by even that isn't certain.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Your interpretation takes the “was” out. I think you should account for the text saying “was rolled” not just “rolled”

Even so why didn’t Saruman just say “the current of the river rolled the ring into the sea “

Because passive voice puts the focus on the object, and the ring is the most important thing, not the precise mechanism of how it rolled.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ravenfood posted:

So Gollum's fall at Mt. Doom was just...luck?

No, it was the result of a command given by Frodo while holding the ring to which Smeagol was sworn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Why would they need to get involved at that point instead of letting the river do its thing?

Or, if Eru is going to get involved directly, why let it be made? Why not destroy it once it has been?

The Eagles intervention is much more credible to assign to Manwë by even that isn't certain.

In this circumstance it was Saruman the white speaking as head of the council. In hindsight we know he was searching for the ring and believed it was in the anduin still. He was trying however to mollify the rest of the white council about the ring and to get them to stop worrying about it. That is the context of his lie. Therefore he constructed it such a way for the other to infer that someone else rolled the ring into the sea already and it’s taken care of. Who would Gandalf thing did that ? My guess is most likely he thought Ulmo did it. Edit : thinking about it I think he may have thought Eru? Idk.

I don’t know what exactly your are referring to by eagles intervention

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 28, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SimonChris posted:

Because passive voice puts the focus on the object, and the ring is the most important thing, not the precise mechanism of how it rolled.

Then he would have just said rolled, not was rolled.

Unless you mean the entity of the being who rolled the ring into the sea isn’t important . I don’t think that is true

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i hate this argument so much

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

euphronius posted:

Then he would have just said rolled, not was rolled.

Unless you mean the entity of the being who rolled the ring into the sea isn’t important . I don’t think that is true

Do you think Eru literally pushed Smeagol over the cliff?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Do you think Eru literally pushed Smeagol over the cliff?

Like did eru corporealize and literally push? No

It similar to how eru got the ring to Bilbo

Edit

To use the language of lotr, gollum was meant to slip and fall at that moment

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 28, 2024

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

euphronius posted:

Like did eru corporealize and literally push? No

It similar to how eru got the ring to Bilbo

Edit

To use the language of lotr, gollum was meant to slip and fall at that moment

In that case why didn't Sauron slip and fall midforging and avoid the problem altogether? Or equally, is Smeagol wasn't there at that moment, would he have just slipped and fallen wherever?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know, I don’t usually question the ways of god

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You were right.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think the basis of this argument is a failure to understand the proverbial mysterious ways in which Eru works.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Did Saruman know who had the three elven rings? Specifically did he know Gandalf had one?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I guess we've discovered the Poe's Orangutan for Tolkien fans

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think very few people knew who had the rings. Probably the people who had them and like, cirdan, because he gave his to Gandalf. Saruman would have tried to take Gandalfs ring if he knew.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Why didn't Eru simply take the ring to Mordor himself?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman did think for a moment that Gandalf had the one ring and then laughed at him as an idiot when he figured out he didn’t.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sleep with the vicious posted:

Did Saruman know who had the three elven rings? Specifically did he know Gandalf had one?

It's not exactly going to be tricky to suss out that the legendarily wise rulers of the four remaining Elven-realms in Middle-Earth are the most obvious choice to hold the Three, especially since at least three of them have some sort of magical effect acting on or associated with them (and the Grey Havens might, even if we're not really told about it).

Which one of the four didn't have a ring might have been the hardest to deduce, and Círdan secretly giving his to Gandalf probably made it a much trickier puzzle - Elrond and Galadriel are obvious but which of the two others, Círdan or Thranduil, has the third? Trick question, it's neither! I doubt Saruman ever figured that out.

I wonder if he was hoping that the ring he made in an attempt to duplicate the Great Rings (he calls himself "Saruman Ring-Maker" when he's trying to get Gandalf on his team) would help him see through the ability of a Ring-wearer to hide their Ring from the perception of others, as Galadriel explains to Frodo. Obviously it doesn't work, or he'd have spotted Narya on Gandalf's finger, which would have answered that question, and also royally pissed him off given his jealousy of Gandalf.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm willing to buy that there was no (direct) divine intervention in Gollumn falling into the cracks of doom. Oaths are promises made to a higher power, which is why they're more binding than a regular promise: you are calling on that higher power to strike you down if you break your promise. In a polytheistic context, you'll usually name the god and the punishment during the oath. In a Christian context, both can be implied: you are swearing by God, and the punishment is damnation after death. But there's plenty of examples of the oath making those explicit, including in Tolkien's own writing:

quote:

Be he foe or friend, be he foul or clean,
brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,
Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,
Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,
neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,
dread nor danger, not Doom itself,
shall defend him from Fëanor, and Fëanor's kin,
whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,
finding keepeth or afar casteth
a Silmaril. This swear we all:
death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
Eru Allfather! To the everlasting
Darkness doom us if our deed faileth.
On the holy mountain hear in witness
and our vow remember, Manwë and Varda!

Later in the Silmarillion, the sons of Feanor lament that not even Manwe himself can render the oath null, because the oath was made to Eru, and so only God himself can unbind them from it. This is the kind of stuff that's extremely common in the kinds of historical documents and literature Tolkien was steeped in his whole life, even if oaths are seen more as just fancy promises in today's less-religious world. But there's still remnants of it, in e.g. putting your hand on the bible to swear your oath on the witness stand.

Gollum's oath, however, is not to God, nor is it left implied. He swears by the ring. An unusual higher power, but it's very clear what the enforcement mechanism for this oath is: the ring itself will enforce it. The punishment is left unspecified at this point, but later on, in Return of the King:

quote:

Then suddenly, as before under the eaves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, scarcely more than the shadow of a living thing, a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet filled with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the fire there spoke a commanding voice.
‘Begone, and trouble me no more! If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.’

The 'wheel of fire' is, of course, the ring; this is a metaphor that gets used multiple times previously, setting up this scene. So, we have an oath, calling on the ring to enforce the promise; when Gollum breaks the promise, the ring itself specifies the punishment should he break it one more time, and then, 3 pages later, Gollum breaks his promise yet again and the stated punishment happens. The passive voice, which I agree is often used to hide the hand of God, isn't even used in the scene where Gollum dies:

quote:

‘Precious, precious, precious!’ Gollum cried. ‘My Precious! O my Precious!’ And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize, he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail Precious, and he was gone.

So my take is that while divine intervention pervades Lord of the Rings, it is not *directly* present in this precise moment.

e: I assume a good chunk of the thread has already read this, but here's a cool blog post on how oaths functioned historically: https://acoup.blog/2019/06/28/collections-oaths-how-do-they-work/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

euphronius posted:

That section from Sauron’s pov is a little strange. How would the narrator know what Sauron was thinking ? I guess Frodo kind of mind melded with him once he put the ring on

We get a fox's POV at one point in the story.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's not exactly going to be tricky to suss out that the legendarily wise rulers of the four remaining Elven-realms in Middle-Earth are the most obvious choice to hold the Three, especially since at least three of them have some sort of magical effect acting on or associated with them (and the Grey Havens might, even if we're not really told about it).

Which one of the four didn't have a ring might have been the hardest to deduce, and Círdan secretly giving his to Gandalf probably made it a much trickier puzzle - Elrond and Galadriel are obvious but which of the two others, Círdan or Thranduil, has the third? Trick question, it's neither! I doubt Saruman ever figured that out.

I wonder if he was hoping that the ring he made in an attempt to duplicate the Great Rings (he calls himself "Saruman Ring-Maker" when he's trying to get Gandalf on his team) would help him see through the ability of a Ring-wearer to hide their Ring from the perception of others, as Galadriel explains to Frodo. Obviously it doesn't work, or he'd have spotted Narya on Gandalf's finger, which would have answered that question, and also royally pissed him off given his jealousy of Gandalf.

Interesting, but Thranduil as a suspected Ringbearer feels strange to be honest, he always seemed to be of lesser standing than the others, both in ancestry and in his domain being more corrupted.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Thranduil is 100% the poor relation. Wine baron in the backcountry. Descended from a mere courtier of Elu-Thingol. Probably doesn’t even know any high elves. And he’s got a dungeon…how gauche can you get. They’d let Celeborn have a ring first.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

YaketySass posted:

Interesting, but Thranduil as a suspected Ringbearer feels strange to be honest, he always seemed to be of lesser standing than the others, both in ancestry and in his domain being more corrupted.

If Sauron suspected him he might have moved into southern Mirkwood as the necromancer in part to try and take Thranduil's potential ring, based on assuming (correctly) that he would be the weakest of the three, so Thranduil's realm being the most corrupted might be a facet of Sauron focusing his efforts to do so.

It does feel strange, though. Cirdan, Elrond, and Galadriel seem like the main candidates. Thranduil seems like a reach.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For all Sauron knows the Three have already headed back to the Undying Lands.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phy posted:

I thought that was Balrog wings

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ravenfood posted:

If Sauron suspected him he might have moved into southern Mirkwood as the necromancer in part to try and take Thranduil's potential ring, based on assuming (correctly) that he would be the weakest of the three, so Thranduil's realm being the most corrupted might be a facet of Sauron focusing his efforts to do so.

It does feel strange, though. Cirdan, Elrond, and Galadriel seem like the main candidates. Thranduil seems like a reach.
The Three might reveal themselves to aid like, the last elven kingdom that isn’t basically a single site. I got the vibe that Lorien was like Luxembourg.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Sauron couldn't tell that three of the members of the White Council who drove him from Dol Guldur were wearing the three elvish rings of power?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm willing to buy that there was no (direct) divine intervention in Gollumn falling into the cracks of doom. Oaths are promises made to a higher power, which is why they're more binding than a regular promise: you are calling on that higher power to strike you down if you break your promise. In a polytheistic context, you'll usually name the god and the punishment during the oath. In a Christian context, both can be implied: you are swearing by God, and the punishment is damnation after death. But there's plenty of examples of the oath making those explicit, including in Tolkien's own writing:

Later in the Silmarillion, the sons of Feanor lament that not even Manwe himself can render the oath null, because the oath was made to Eru, and so only God himself can unbind them from it. This is the kind of stuff that's extremely common in the kinds of historical documents and literature Tolkien was steeped in his whole life, even if oaths are seen more as just fancy promises in today's less-religious world. But there's still remnants of it, in e.g. putting your hand on the bible to swear your oath on the witness stand.

Gollum's oath, however, is not to God, nor is it left implied. He swears by the ring. An unusual higher power, but it's very clear what the enforcement mechanism for this oath is: the ring itself will enforce it. The punishment is left unspecified at this point, but later on, in Return of the King:

The 'wheel of fire' is, of course, the ring; this is a metaphor that gets used multiple times previously, setting up this scene. So, we have an oath, calling on the ring to enforce the promise; when Gollum breaks the promise, the ring itself specifies the punishment should he break it one more time, and then, 3 pages later, Gollum breaks his promise yet again and the stated punishment happens. The passive voice, which I agree is often used to hide the hand of God, isn't even used in the scene where Gollum dies:

So my take is that while divine intervention pervades Lord of the Rings, it is not *directly* present in this precise moment.

e: I assume a good chunk of the thread has already read this, but here's a cool blog post on how oaths functioned historically: https://acoup.blog/2019/06/28/collections-oaths-how-do-they-work/

The Ring yeeting itself into Mt Doom to fulfill Gollum's oath is poetic and also matches Tolkien's love to make evil things be the cause of their own destruction

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The reason I feel that Saruman, Sauron, and anyone else trying to logic it out would have had to evaluate Thranduil as a potential bearer of one of the Three is that the Grey Havens under Círdan don't seem to show the kind of magical preservation and protection that Lothlorien and Imladris do under Galadriel and Elrond. It's possible that it is and that we're never told of it because the narrative doesn't visit the place, but Saruman having become the foremost expert on Ring-lore among the Wise and Sauron having written the OS that they run would have had to know that those effects were due to what the Three were made to do, even if neither of them had ever laid hands on them.

What other Elven domain does show some kind of magical protection? The Woodland Realm. Celebrimbor choosing to give Thranduil one of the Three would have been a surprising choice, but given the evidence it's a possibility.

The point is, nobody other than Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, and Círdan knows for sure. Anybody else has to take that possibility into account, even if just to investigate.

zoux posted:

So Sauron couldn't tell that three of the members of the White Council who drove him from Dol Guldur were wearing the three elvish rings of power?

This is a good point! I don't know. Maybe he felt their presence among the forces massed to drive him out (it wasn't just a handful of demigods cosplaying as an adventuring party). Maybe he couldn't perceive them because he didn't have the One at the time, and his connection to the Three is weak or nonexistent without it? The Three can be safely used when Sauron doesn't have the Ring, after all.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 28, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phy posted:

That implies that there's any argument that Tolkien scholarship and fandom have ever gotten tired of having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
BRB, just going to jump in my Time Machine to tell the 1915 version of JRRT about the phrase “Tolkien scholarship”