Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just use Litchi and haven't attached Mini 2 to any DJI software/updated since a few days after I bought it... so probably about a year now.

Am I missing anything important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I have not been following the remote ID stuff at all, as someone without a part 107 and with a DJI Mavic Air 2, is there anything I actually need to do?

Per the FAA, it looks like you need to register your drone since the Air 2 weighs more than 250g. This is super simple and costs $5. Where it gets a little more complicated is that any drone that requires registration is also supposed to have Remote ID, and I think the Air 2 needs to have a separate Remote ID module. Newer DJI drones have Remote ID baked in, although as I posted, the latest firmware updates disable that for the Mini 3/4. This could be a problem for me especially since I had to register my drone in order to be able to fly within 15-30 miles of Washington, DC (where I live.)

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

Also the FAA keeps pushing back the date where drones are supposed to have Remote ID. First it was September 2023, then November, and now it's March 2024. It's kind of a mess.

slidebite posted:

I just use Litchi and haven't attached Mini 2 to any DJI software/updated since a few days after I bought it... so probably about a year now.

Am I missing anything important?

Probably not. I wish that Litchi worked for the Mini 3.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hi thread! I've just bought my first fpv drone (from dji) and I'm excited to slam it directly into the ocean! I look forward to posting with you goons about my foibles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Water is a harsh mistress. On the one hand, you can basically go wild and do whatever you want without worrying about plowing your drone into a crowd of people, on the other hand, if it touches down at all, its gone. Not like a normal crash where you might be able to repair your drone or re-use some parts, its just gone

That being said, I fly over Lake Michigan constantly, I prefer it actually, but I have a DJI Air 2, which is not nearly as extreme as an FPV drone.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Had my drone following me on a walk and had to snap a pic of it with this flair in the background looking like it was riding the flame:

in case you all were wondering I've been following the FAA rules and am being a responsible drone owner, still haven't crashed once nor annoyed anyone.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You aren't a real pilot till you crash a drone.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Trying to decide if flying a drone into a light post at full speed counts as a crash if the drone never stopped flying. Only damage was a dented prop.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I still haven't touched my spinning props onto anything but air. I did have a forced landing after doing a long hyperlapse and just made it near my yard, that was fun. I keep the whole battery chart up now while I'm doing hyperlapses so I don't get anywhere near forced landing territory.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elendil004 posted:

Very first "real" drone I bought was a Phantom Vision 2+. I knew enough to learn to fly it away from anything so I went to a deserted industrial area which was yet to be developed. Second flight it went full speed straight into this monster tall light pole which was the only structure within about 2 city blocks :buddy: Totally destroyed it, only good for parts after that.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Water is a harsh mistress. On the one hand, you can basically go wild and do whatever you want without worrying about plowing your drone into a crowd of people, on the other hand, if it touches down at all, its gone. Not like a normal crash where you might be able to repair your drone or re-use some parts, its just gone

That being said, I fly over Lake Michigan constantly, I prefer it actually, but I have a DJI Air 2, which is not nearly as extreme as an FPV drone.

The weekend before last I was checking out some area shipwrecks and suffered a sudden loss of battery power (from 70% to 20% in seconds) further out than I could get it back before it forced a landing in the water and because I was using a 3rd party battery it won't be covered under DJI's flyaway coverage.

It was an expensive lesson.

Hopefully I'm able to afford a replacement soon, I've really been enjoying getting to look at things I'd otherwise never be able to see, like shipwrecks. :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FEMA summer camp posted:

The weekend before last I was checking out some area shipwrecks and suffered a sudden loss of battery power (from 70% to 20% in seconds) further out than I could get it back before it forced a landing in the water and because I was using a 3rd party battery it won't be covered under DJI's flyaway coverage.

It was an expensive lesson.

Hopefully I'm able to afford a replacement soon, I've really been enjoying getting to look at things I'd otherwise never be able to see, like shipwrecks. :smith:

Ugh, that sucks and I do worry about even my DJI branded batteries, since they're going on 4 years old now.

I've never put mine down in the water (knock on wood), but I did have a close call one time when I sent it out to take pictures of a cargo ship a couple miles offshore. I got there with about 60% battery, snapped a few pics and hit return to home. Well, this was all timed perfectly so that a decent headwind had picked up for my return trip. It had to fight the wind pretty hard, which of course absolutely drained the battery

By the time it got near shore again, it was trying to auto-land in the water. I kept having to cancel the auto-landing. Of course the shortest route home took me over a water filtration plant too, and I did not want it emergency landing on a local government facility.

It was nerve wracking but I got it back with something crazy like 2% left on the battery. Almost put it in the drink.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I don't have a good link, but the latest on NASA's Ingenuity is that they broke the rotors on a sand dune when landing.

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/

The pictures I saw showed the shadow of two blades with broken tips and the shadow of another was missing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ugh, that sucks and I do worry about even my DJI branded batteries, since they're going on 4 years old now.

I’m still kinda bitter about my 3 DJI batteries taking a poo poo at 3 years. Just straight up dead and won’t hold a charge.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
I have crashed a few drones over the years, but I think my last crash was like… 2018 and that was due to a sensor malfunction right at takeoff, just flipped over. Otherwise, it was probably 2012 or 13. Since then I am far more careful. I won’t deny that quite often I fly my current drones several miles away, but in unpopulated low fire risk areas or over open water and follow a checklist before take off and after initial takeoff (proper return to home elevations, adsbexchange flight radar check, etc) but yeah, I do love flying over oceans and lakes just because of the freedom it provides. We will see if my preferences change the day I lose one in the drink.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Running into pine trees is fun and cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

With modern DJI camera drones, it’s actually quite hard to crash them (for drones notwithstanding). They have proximity sensors on every surface, and they’re monitoring everything.

The closest I’ve come is a hard landing on the roof of my car, which I chalk up to the downward facing sensors looking through the sunroof and thinking it had further to go than it did. When I land in the center of the roof it never has issues.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

With modern DJI camera drones, it’s actually quite hard to crash them (for drones notwithstanding). They have proximity sensors on every surface, and they’re monitoring everything.

The closest I’ve come is a hard landing on the roof of my car, which I chalk up to the downward facing sensors looking through the sunroof and thinking it had further to go than it did. When I land in the center of the roof it never has issues.

there's some interesting software option edge cases that seem to make it way more likely to crash. One being if you put obstacle avoidance on bypass instead of slow down, when you do any banking the drone almost goes to 45degrees, basically does the fastest/hardest banks possible. so if you're just flying around low to the ground with that option set you'll have it do violent banks sidways (where I don't have sensors) and it is very likely to crash. It makes no sense but that's what happens.

Also I've had a new problem where once I take off, I'm stable and have gps lock everything is fine, but when I first get to altitude of like 100ft plus my drone starts drifting, then after about a minute of flying it straightens out and doesn't have the problem again. anyway, lessons to learn, you can in fact drift into stuff on accident but if you're really familiar with these dumb nuances you can avoid issues.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

LifeSunDeath posted:

there's some interesting software option edge cases that seem to make it way more likely to crash. One being if you put obstacle avoidance on bypass instead of slow down, when you do any banking the drone almost goes to 45degrees, basically does the fastest/hardest banks possible. so if you're just flying around low to the ground with that option set you'll have it do violent banks sidways (where I don't have sensors) and it is very likely to crash. It makes no sense but that's what happens.

Also I've had a new problem where once I take off, I'm stable and have gps lock everything is fine, but when I first get to altitude of like 100ft plus my drone starts drifting, then after about a minute of flying it straightens out and doesn't have the problem again. anyway, lessons to learn, you can in fact drift into stuff on accident but if you're really familiar with these dumb nuances you can avoid issues.

Well look at you with your fancy obstacle avoidance sensors, not all of us can afford pro versions of DJI products.

I kid though, I really want a mini 4 pro but can’t justify the expense when my mini 3 and parrot bebop 2 are in perfect working order.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am teaching a photojournalism class and I want to end the school year introducing the students (high school juniors and seniors) to drone photography/videography.

I am looking at purchasing a drone that I can work with myself and then have the students work with as well. I was looking at a DJI Mini 3 that has a screen on the controller (with the fly more combo set up for multiple batteries, etc)

Is this a good system or is something better? Is there anything I need to be aware of before getting this?

https://a.co/d/4M1pf6Y

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Juando290 posted:

Well look at you with your fancy obstacle avoidance sensors, not all of us can afford pro versions of DJI products.

I kid though, I really want a mini 4 pro but can’t justify the expense when my mini 3 and parrot bebop 2 are in perfect working order.

No one has eclipsed the bebop’s in-app route planning and it’s frankly wild that it’s still the best all these years on.

I loved running pre-planned routes with my bebop

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am teaching a photojournalism class and I want to end the school year introducing the students (high school juniors and seniors) to drone photography/videography.

I am looking at purchasing a drone that I can work with myself and then have the students work with as well. I was looking at a DJI Mini 3 that has a screen on the controller (with the fly more combo set up for multiple batteries, etc)

Is this a good system or is something better? Is there anything I need to be aware of before getting this?

https://a.co/d/4M1pf6Y

just get a mini4 pro. way more features (tracking, waypoint missions) and way better controller (for range), also has 360 obstacle avoidance which is very nice (you can also watch the sidways cams picture in picture to see what's near you, it's so cool).

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
This is nitpicky but you did say, "anything." If you're in the united states and the institution you're teaching at receives government funding you might run into some trouble with a DJI drone.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th...h%20exceptions.

I haven't read this in its entirety but people claim they have, https://dronexl.co/2023/11/07/banning-dji-drones-in-the-usa/

quote:

[...][T]his bill not only prohibits federal agencies from purchasing or using DJI drones, but it also prevents any agency that receives federal dollars from purchasing or using them.

Parrot drones aren't banned, but they're a lot more expensive. On the other hand, no alleged human rights abuses. Also you're 100% fine (legally) to buy a bunch of parts off aliexpress and build a drone yourself. Because everyone's sure the factories making those flight controllers aren't using slave labour.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I think it will be okay because I am purchasing this out of my pocket, not through the school which does receive federal funding.

I tried to get grants to purchase some drones but nothing worked out (and would probably have encountered that issue with buying a DJI drone)

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

No one has eclipsed the bebop’s in-app route planning and it’s frankly wild that it’s still the best all these years on.

I loved running pre-planned routes with my bebop

Part of why I have not retired it. I am always amazed at how pinpoint it is on waypoint flights on its timing. I can set a watch to its estimate of how long the flight will take and it is always within a few seconds. I was kind of annoyed that the non pro mini 3 didn’t have waypoint flight when it is many years newer and cost quite a bit more than my bebop… I didn’t research because I just assumed newer (like, 6 years + newer) name brand would get me the same or better features, so that’s on me. But the range and flight time on my mini 3 is easily 2 to almost 3 times better. The farthest I ever managed with the bebop was about two miles away under control, but my mini easily goes 5 miles away with a strong signal if I am at elevation in non inhabited places.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

If you're flying commercial stuff nah. If you're flying homebuilds oooh boy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DreadLlama posted:

Parrot drones aren't banned, but they're a lot more expensive. On the other hand, no alleged human rights abuses. Also you're 100% fine (legally) to buy a bunch of parts off aliexpress and build a drone yourself. Because everyone's sure the factories making those flight controllers aren't using slave labour.
Autel makes decent midrange stuff as well (the ukrainians like theirs).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Juando290 posted:

Part of why I have not retired it. I am always amazed at how pinpoint it is on waypoint flights on its timing. I can set a watch to its estimate of how long the flight will take and it is always within a few seconds. I was kind of annoyed that the non pro mini 3 didn’t have waypoint flight when it is many years newer and cost quite a bit more than my bebop… I didn’t research because I just assumed newer (like, 6 years + newer) name brand would get me the same or better features, so that’s on me. But the range and flight time on my mini 3 is easily 2 to almost 3 times better. The farthest I ever managed with the bebop was about two miles away under control, but my mini easily goes 5 miles away with a strong signal if I am at elevation in non inhabited places.

That's one of the reasons I'm happy with mini 2 and Leitchi.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

evil_bunnY posted:

If you're flying commercial stuff nah. If you're flying homebuilds oooh boy.

Even commercial it's just a matter of time

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Juando290 posted:

my mini3 pro does not have way point missions. there's some external software you can use to get the Mini2SE and the Air3 to do waypoints, but it doesn't work on my mini3pro...it's so lame.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Don't be silly, I've never crashed my --- checks notes --- tiny whoop flying indoors?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am now looking at a DJI mini 4 pro (thanks for the recommendation) especially for the omnidirectional obstacle sensing. I see 2 bundles on Amazon for $1,379 each. One has a “full USA warranty with a 1 year DJI refresh plan” and another has a “full USA warranty with a 2 year extended CPS warranty”.

Which one is the better option to go with?

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am now looking at a DJI mini 4 pro (thanks for the recommendation) especially for the omnidirectional obstacle sensing. I see 2 bundles on Amazon for $1,379 each. One has a “full USA warranty with a 1 year DJI refresh plan” and another has a “full USA warranty with a 2 year extended CPS warranty”.

As someone that has to deal with warranties at work on a daily basis, always go with the one from the manufacturer. The manufacturer has a vested interest in keeping you happy with their product to eventually buy more of their products. Outside warranty companies make money by selling extended warranties and then crossing their fingers that they don’t have to pay out, and they will fight like hell to minimize the outflow of money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

buy it straight from DJI otherwise the warranty can be fucky (so I've heard). I got the 2 year warranty for mine which I kind of regret, but we'll see as I'm getting more bold with my flights so I may end up needing it soon. Also getting the flymore bundle is very useful. You want those extra beefier batteries. I can sit down and fly for an hour straight with all my batteries (the controller lasts for many sessions before charging).

also if you have issues with your drone jump on the dji forums and complain and they will get back to directly and guide you to a repair or whatever, and they usually send you a new drone if something major is wrong with yours. going through amazon would be an ordeal.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 23, 2024

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://v.redd.it/v2cdorqzx5lc1/DASH_1080.mp4

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

cool f1 clip

I watched that video yesterday and loved it! For anyone interested it's a red bull f1 promotion they filmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I legit thought that was CG for the first bit.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
That's really impressive. By the third iteration they were doing what... 5.8km at 300+km/h?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k&t=303s

If you pause when their OSD is up you can learn some things about their drone. Their battery is 28.4v, and they're at 3.54v/cell. If you divide V by V/cell, you get cellcount, which is probably 8. And if you divide RPM by voltage, you get revolutions per volt. From top to bottom they are:
If you sum those and divide by the number of figures, you get the mean value of 1227.7. They might be seeing some voltage sag due to high current draw, so I think it's not unreasonable to guess they are flying 1250Kv motors. Also: 97.8A x 28.4V is 2,777.52W which is about 3.72Horsepower. Going at 267km/h.

This is a wild guess, but because I have trouble finding 8s batteries I'm going to assume they're using two 4s in series. And I'm also going to assume they chose to keep the Wh below 100 to facilitate air travel. So that puts an upper limit of 6000mah per 4s battery. If true, their batteries weigh probably between 550g and 590g.

According to my scale, my 5" drone weighs 565.5g. If we assume the exact same weight for their race drone, and plug the numbers into the drone flight time calculator, https://www.omnicalculator.com/othe..._weight:1.65!kg, we get a flight time of 34.5 minutes, which isn't that much more than a DJI drone. It's pretty cool how well-optimized they are for the job they do.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Not a bad estimate!

Tmotor F80 Pro 1900KV apparently. And yes it was running on 8S according to further posts in that thread.

Slash fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 1, 2024

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

That video is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Worlds fastest buttplug