Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He has been found factually guilty of fraud. Not a lawyer, but I have heard it is very very rare for an appeals court to overturn findings of fact. At that point, he's supposed to be at risk of losing money.

I guess we will find out in an hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jethro posted:

He's not asking them to not enforce the judgement, he's asking for them to accept a bond that is less than the full judgement, but still substantial, while the appeal is ongoing. Which sounds fair-ish to me given that he doesn't have total control over his finances, so it's not like he can just toss a $20 on the judge's desk and then get busy on moving the rest of his money to the Caymans or something.

I’ll tell the State of New York it meets with your approval, forums poster Jethro. Maybe they’ll haggle with the criminally insane former game show host this time, as a treat.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ms Adequate posted:

Very funny to try to negotiate with the courts over your bond amount.

He should get exactly the same treatment any of us would, which is to say "Go talk to a bondsman." and when nobody will agree to give him this money, well, maybe don't do an entire lifetime of fraud and ripping people off and even more fraud.

I was going to say its a sign that Trump is radioactive to bondsmen if he can muster 20% or whatever and no one will take that in bond, but I'm wondering if that $100M is how much he can get with a bond.

Either possibility is hilarious - he can scrounge $100 million but is such a notorious welcher that no bondsmen will take that for $460 million, or whatever he can scrounge together only buys $100 million worth of a bond

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=ZWaAqAQogm6UhRjKc4u16A==

The decision is out btw.

No stay or ruduction on having to pay the money though the appeal judge did put a stay on a few other things, notable letting Eric and Don Jr. continue to serve on the board until the appeal is heard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mdemone posted:

I know you're jesting but it's actually drat near impossible by any means to come up with half a billion in cash, legally or illegally, in 30 days.

There is no route by which he could get the money, that won't be scrutinized and subject to regulation, and he can't sell a building in less than 30 days, it's just not possible.

I don't know what you're talking about, his lawyer even said he definitely had the cash on hand just a week or so ago when talking to the media!

Caros
May 14, 2008

mdemone posted:

I guess we will find out in an hour or so.

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1762941322355171394?t=DLYPJB0zACHDGrt4nouRcQ&s=19

They told him to get hosed.

Specifically they put a stay on his ability to be an officer of a corporation (pending appeal) or to enter into new loans but did not put a stay on the financial judgement or the imposition of compliance.

It looks like the only relief he got is permission to get a loan. Which, loving lol.

Edit: looks like they also set a hearing date of March 18 to cover it in more detail, but given that their first shot out the door was 'get a loan you deadbeat' I don't think he has much going for him here.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2024

gregday
May 23, 2003

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1762941322355171394?t=DLYPJB0zACHDGrt4nouRcQ&s=19

They told him to get hosed.

Specifically they put a stay on his ability to be an officer of a corporation (pending appeal) or to enter into new loans but did not put a stay on the financial judgement or the imposition of compliance.

It looks like the only relief he got is permission to get a loan. Which, loving lol.

Edit: looks like they also set a hearing date of March 18 to cover it in more detail, but given that their first shot out the door was 'get a loan you deadbeat' I don't think he has much going for him here.

He's going to get a loan because of a statement of financial condition that MAL is worth $2bn.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Permission to get even more broke, perfect!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

gregday posted:

He's going to get a loan because of a statement of financial condition that MAL is worth $2bn.

The martingale approach to business crimes!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

gregday posted:

wow he'd be offering such generous terms for his $3bn property

gregday
May 23, 2003

When you apply for a loan is there a field for "Why are you requesting this loan?" and can you write "CRIMES"

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

gregday posted:

When you apply for a loan is there a field for "Why are you requesting this loan?" and can you write "CRIMES"

Specifically loan fraud.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Oh god why are all the banks only offering him just a maximum $1 million dollar loan against his $4bn property!!!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

gregday posted:

also it's totally not a residence btw, pay no attention everyone else it's not a residence

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Hell, I'm sure Elon would jump at the chance to get a $5bn property for less than half a billion!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Using a $10bn property as collateral for a $0.5bn loan is the real crime here

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

haveblue posted:

The real crime are all the taxes for this 1 million dollar property!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 28, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

haveblue posted:

It's almost as if being punished for fraud is supposed to hurt or something.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Why are people underestimating the value of his $15bn property?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

fondue posted:

Because we want to con him into selling it for only $20bn.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This is an easy denial, right? Or do they make exceptions for large judgements like this?

:smugdon: It's a classic legal maneuver to maximize your legal judgment so it's such a big number with all those digits the courts have no choice but to give you some time to think about it.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

gregday posted:

He wouldn't do this because this would mean when he loses the appeal he would have to sell MAL lol. I think he would rather sell every single other asset he has before he sells his Florida Whitehouse club.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Wonder how much is he gonna try and sell Eric for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure he's on negative equity with Eric.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Wonder how much is he gonna try and sell Eric for.

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty sure he's on negative equity with Eric.

He'll just call up places and threaten to send Eric there if they don't pay him.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pretty sure My Anime List isn't worth 2 billion.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty sure My Anime List isn't worth 2 billion.

I dunno, considering how much some people ask for out of print DVDs, your anime list may be worth more than Trump's actual net worth. Before all the judgements, I mean.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fondue posted:

Especially since Tommy Tallarico made it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Especially since Tommy Tallarico made it.

His mother is very proud.

Trump's not so much.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randalor posted:

He'll just call up places and threaten to send Eric there if they don't pay him.

Pretty nice place ya got 'ere, would be a shame if I were to send ya Eric.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Please let this be the start of the mattering

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Trump going for the floating point rollover glitch

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

mdemone posted:

I know you're jesting but it's actually drat near impossible by any means to come up with half a billion in cash, legally or illegally, in 30 days.

There is no route by which he could get the money, that won't be scrutinized and subject to regulation, and he can't sell a building in less than 30 days, it's just not possible.

Yeah there's not a whole lot of non bank companies out there that have half a billion in cash just sitting around, and the ones that do typically have large payrolls and inventories.

Which is what makes the bank loan ban a really interesting underreported aspect of the judgement. Even with the stay, nobody is going to touch that, so it really is going to come down to Trump having to sell off assets.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Trump going for the floating point rollover glitch

If Trump is subject to one more fraud it bugs out his ai and he becomes the living embodyment of peace and justice in our time.

A reverse Gandhi, if you will.

In other news, some of Bradley's texts have leaked to CNN. They are... Well:

quote:

Bradley also indicated that he didn’t want to be directly connected to the allegations and expressed a desire not to be named as the initial source of the information.

“I protected you completely,” Merchant told Bradley about the draft of her motion to disqualify. “Not that you need protection,” Merchant texted. “But I kept you out of it.”

“I really appreciate you keeping me out of,” Bradley replied.

And

quote:

You are my friend and I trust you... They will not... They're arrogant as F... She thinks they won the other day when she didn't have to be deposed.

My hopes that this doesn't get the case dumpstered have gone up drastically. To me this looks like Bradley gossiping and telling his friend what she wanted to hear, only to end up on the stand because she had no one else, only for him to realize that perjuring himself is not a great look.

Caros fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 28, 2024

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
So... what happens if he can't pay this off? Considering the fraud is about over-valuing of assets, seems a real possibility even if he does sell everything he could come up short since no one has reason to believe anything he owns is actually worth what he claims.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Fart Amplifier posted:

Please let this be the start of the mattering

it would be a story to match the ancient greek tragedies, only instead of a hero with the legendary qualities to balance their hubris, its just a dumb narcissist who implodes the empire handed to him on a silver platter

if 2024 is the year trump is finally destroyed financially, politically, and personally, i will sacrifice a fatted calf in thanks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Orthanc6 posted:

So... what happens if he can't pay this off? Considering the fraud is about over-valuing of assets, seems a real possibility even if he does sell everything he could come up short since no one has reason to believe anything he owns is actually worth what he claims.

At the end of the 30 days, the court-appointed monitor (who is already in control of all his stuff) begins to put it up for sale. We'll see what the market thinks it's worth. There's a real chance they run out of property to sell before paying off the whole fine. In that case, they'll have to set up garnishment

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

haveblue posted:

At the end of the 30 days, the court-appointed monitor (who is already in control of all his stuff) begins to put it up for sale. We'll see what the market thinks it's worth. There's a real chance they run out of property to sell before paying off the whole fine. In that case, they'll have to set up garnishment

While this would be hilarious I don't think this will be his issue. He wants to retain as much cash as possible so that's why he isn't paying because it would empty out every cent of cash he has plus an asset or two and even if he was lying about having 400 million in liquid cash on hand some how with an external appointed court monitor he will have enough plus his assets to cover the bill. There is no way he is that short even if they are overleveraged to gently caress and cause a cascading effect because he doesn't have collateral and or loses a lot of money to taxes.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1762961167167664586?t=_3Jr_K2IE536qusA-5Fiew&s=19

Cool so about a month from now we will get oral arguments on if Trump is God King.

Honestly lovely since it pushes the trial back even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Vire posted:

While this would be hilarious I don't think this will be his issue. He wants to retain as much cash as possible so that's why he isn't paying because it would empty out every cent of cash he has plus an asset or two and even if he was lying about having 400 million in liquid cash on hand some how with an external appointed court monitor he will have enough plus his assets to cover the bill. There is no way he is that short even if they are overleveraged to gently caress and cause a cascading effect because he doesn't have collateral and or loses a lot of money to taxes.

Ok I believe you that it's possible he can squeak by.... but I'm just going to let that comedy option at the end warm my heart even if it is a distant possibility.