Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Torts is a perfect coach to turn a bad team into some scrappy jerks who can hang in there, and transition into a big morale boost when you fire him for someone who isn't a prick after a few seasons of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Rangers almost lost Zucc over his dumb rear end.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQKyjnHsgDk

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

The Rangers almost lost Zucc over his dumb rear end.

yeah that was pretty dumb! though Zucc might also not have been quite ready to be the player he became at that point either. But also yeah Torts probably would have kept him out of the lineup because "he's too small" or something dumb

AV was maybe the perfect coach to follow up Torts except his shelf life was also very short because "let the players run the room and don't talk to them at all" isn't really a winning coaching strategy in the long run

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

BMI is a tool for easily measuring groups of people, but is especially useless for athletes.
Mike Tyson in his prime was 218lbs at 5'11" and probably had less than 10% bodyfat.

Yes, yes, plenty of shortcomings with BMI on which I didn't want to waste space, but no matter which way you want to slice it, "Mike Tyson in his prime" is a pretty hilarious build for any hockey player, let alone someone in juniors. Huge lol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

there's a lot of weight in a hockey rear end

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Levitate posted:

Torts is really good at making his roster work and play up tempo and be a pain to play against even if they don't have a lot of talent. I don't think he's as bad about stifling talent as he was with the Rangers anymore (he just kinda refused to acknowledge that maybe the roster had more ability than he thought it did) but he absolutely does not have time for offensive players who cherry pick and make stupid turnovers.

Honestly I thought he'd be good for the Flyers considering what they'd gone through and I'm not surprised the Flyers are mildly competent this year and a pain to play against

He's not a bad coach but he's one that's probably better followed by someone who can build off the work ethic he created in the team and then take them to the next level

He refused to play anyone under 30 with the Caps so :lmao: to that.

edit: oh I read that as Lavs instead of Torts, ignore me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ZombieApostate posted:

That probably had nothing to do with age.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ZombieApostate posted:

I mean it’s year one and a very different roster but that hasn’t really been the case with the Rangers. He put Laf in the top-6 to stay, gave Cuylle (21) a permanent spot on the roster on the 3rd line, pushed Goodrow to the 4th and Pitlick (32)/Bonino (35) off the team in favor of giving guys like Edstrom (23) and Rempe (21) extended looks.
Brodzinski is 30 but obviously not an NHL vet and Lavy gave him a huge opportunity and now he’s on a one-way contract. I know besides Laf this is mostly bottom six minutes here but still, there are many, many, old rear end vets that coaches love to put there and that hasn’t happened.

His only real crime was keeping Wheeler (and now maybe Vesey) in the top-6 in favor of Kakko but he has had a real up and down season. Also hard to tell what would have happened with Chytil if he stayed healthy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oof, that should kill any desire for the Caps not to sell at the deadline.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Caps loving suck but it has been nice to see some of the younger guys like Lapierre, McMichael, and Protas taking steps forward this year. Strome too even, not that he wasn't good already. The problem is all of them are good complementary pieces, they should really be looking to get a lot younger and to draft early. I'm hoping they give Miroshnichenko a real look and don't stick him in the bottom 6.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Trying to think of the biggest “gently caress you” Pierre left on the way out of Ottawa

code:
-5 years of Korpisalo

-2 years of Travis Hamonic, full NMC

-trading DeBrincat for a mid/late 1st and Kubalik

-losing the 1st rounder in the Dadonov trade by being a dumbass 3 years ago
Impressive summer, and still have no idea what President/GM Steve Staois is capable of because he hasn’t made a single move all season long lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
for the last like 20 games or something, every time hronek's hit the one timer on the pp someone blocks it and is just completely hosed up afterwards lol

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

heehee posted:

for the last like 20 games or something, every time hronek's hit the one timer on the pp someone blocks it and is just completely hosed up afterwards lol

Hronek's first goal was a 101+ MPH slapper

I was wondering at that point why he wasn't using his shot more.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

There was an unintentionally hilarious video the Red Wings posted last year of some of their younger players getting in a dogpile at practice, meanwhile Hronek was in the background taking one-timers and you could hear every one of them hitting the boards. Glad he got that sorted in his new digs

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Cartoon Man posted:

Oof, that should kill any desire for the Caps not to sell at the deadline.

I called it quits partway through the second period and that's looking like it was a wise decision :psypop:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Trying to think of the biggest “gently caress you” Pierre left on the way out of Ottawa

code:
-5 years of Korpisalo

Impressive summer, and still have no idea what President/GM Steve Staois is capable of because he hasn’t made a single move all season long lol

is this what you're supposed to do in the third period of a hockey game?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Do it, Steve. Go out and get a defenseman at the deadline. Do cool and rad things.

BUY.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

The Dirty Burger posted:

code:
-5 years of Korpisalo

Chychrun is also clearly worse than both Chabot and Sanderson and can’t play on his off-side, so I have no idea why they traded for him instead of trying to find a steady right shot D-man.

I think Korpisalo is the worst of those moves, but in general his “win now” moves starting in 2021, combined with a complete failure on the amateur scouting side starting the same year, has basically doomed the Sens to perpetual mediocrity. He gave away multiple lottery picks for 1 year of DeBrincat and a guy who will be on the third pairing when the team is healthy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

Do it, Steve. Go out and get a defenseman at the deadline. Do cool and rad things.

BUY.

He may have to if seider is hurt

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

code:
-5 years of Korpisalo

Renaud Lavoie put out something yesterday that says Brady is pissed and may want out. Dunno how reliable that is, but add that to pile maybe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Ottawa has so much young talent, but man, they have been really bad at building a team around that. Giroux may have been the only move that has worked.

e: Coming back because I remembered the Chychrun trade, although I haven't heard much about how he is working out for Ottawa. I could check myself, but you know, that would require me watching Sens games.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 28, 2024

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1762916127217197477

goodbye

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1762920424634015905?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

PWHL already has better ideas than the NHL lol

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

PWHL already better than NHL. Just needs more teams, and names for those teams.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

big mean giraffe posted:

He may have to if seider is hurt

Lalonde says Seider is good to go for tomorrow’s game, thank goodness.

It’s that German engineering, most likely.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Superior German adhesives.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

:getout:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Those are two really stupid ideas.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Those are two really stupid ideas.

This

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah they're both great

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah they're both great

The idea about giving the 1st overall to the team that does the best after being mathematically eliminated, what if a team is mathematically eliminated with a week left in the season vs a team eliminated with a month left?

Also, the idea that maybe if the Chicago Blackhawks or San Jose Sharks tried hard enough they could do as well as a team like Pittsburgh or St Louis down the stretch is ridiculous

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Get rid of the draft completely

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You count raw point totals from the date of mathematical elimination, not percentages. Favors the worst teams (they have more time to accumulate points) without incentivizing tanking quite so hard.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm all for a system that is inconsistent so long as it is anything but an officiating system

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

You count raw point totals from the date of mathematical elimination, not percentages. Favors the worst teams (they have more time to accumulate points) without incentivizing tanking quite so hard.

It favours tanking really hard up until the week after the trade deadline and then leaning heavily on your uhhh Jason Dickinsons and Tyler Johnsons to carry you afterwards.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't like the idea of basing it on earned points after mathematical elimination because while being mathematically eliminated is primarily your fault, it is also influenced to some extent by how good the other teams in your conference are doing.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
yeah, so it sounds like those teams might need more help in the draft to face those teams beating their rear end in their division/conference. they get more time to make those points instead of the literal randomness of ping pong balls we have now

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It favours tanking really hard up until the week after the trade deadline and then leaning heavily on your uhhh Jason Dickinsons and Tyler Johnsons to carry you afterwards.

You’re right, it’s absolutely better than just giving someone a high pick for tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Bard Maddox posted:

yeah, so it sounds like those teams might need more help in the draft to face those teams beating their rear end in their division/conference. they get more time to make those points instead of the literal randomness of ping pong balls we have now

I dunno, I think "worst team has the best chance at picking first" is a perfectly fine system. I could easily imagine a situation where a bad team is mathematically eliminated with 20 games to go, and them going 5-14-1 or something in that stretch for 11 points, because they're bad. Maybe another, much better, team was in the race a bit longer. They're mathematically eliminated with 6 games to go, but they manage to end their season strong and they actually win out, earning 12 points. Why should they get the better draft position? I get that the current system is often "rewarding" the bad teams, but if the goal for the league is parity, shouldn't the goal be to improve the worst teams rather than keep them as perpetual losers? We already have teams that have managed to turn themselves into perennial losers even though they get to pick high. The proposed system the PWHL is doing has the potential to make it even harder for them to get better.