Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Screened a 'Double' double JCVD feature last night. Results:
Double Impact (1991)
starring JCVD aaaand JCVD!
Kind of a stinker honestly. Total waste of Bolo Yeung. Skip it.

Double Team (1997)
Rodman doesn't show up until halfway through the movie and his hair dye inexplicably changes from scene to scene.
Fairly decent action because Hark Tsui is solid but wayyyy too many dutch angles. It's corny but it is just taking the piss out of american action movies of the era. Worth a watch.

In summation, not all JCVD is worth spending time on.

Yeah, Rodman must have been impossible to work with. He is so conspicuously absent from that movie vs how it was marketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I saw double team in the theater :negative:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

khwarezm posted:

Sorry to drag the thread down into Star Wars talk again but I was over with my brother's family the other day and Attack of the Clones was on, I feel I never noticed before how the entire basis for the Clone wars is almost unbelievably shallow and stupid and as if Lucas was trying to make the most dramatically inert conflict possible. Like the Separatists are just the most poorly thought out thing from a writing perspective.

They seriously just said “ugh. Taxes am I right?” and that’s all it was. Not even an implication that they weren’t being given a voice in the republic

Wait, did they even mention taxes beyond the trade federation in episode 1 being butthurt about it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The separatists have no identifiable politics because they are completely devoted to a secret sith lord, and they're completely devoted to that sith lord because ???

So it all makes sense, you see

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In my new incarnation I've decided to stop being a star wars poster. Resisting the incredible temptation to post about the shoddiness of attack of the clones, is simply the first step in my new lifelong journey

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

tHe BaNkInG cLaN wIlL sIgN tHiS tReAtY

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

apparently bette midler annoucned it? with

which feels like a curb plot in its own right. on a sad note? you're gonna put a on a sad note in front of my death announcement? really? what was the preceding message my death is a sad note on??

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I've said it before, I'll say it again: There was never any actual politics in Star Wars, there were only semiotic signifiers completely divorced from their original context. The success of the original films was how they managed to strip out all contemporary context and make the villains and heroes indistinct potpourris of bad things and good things respectively. The Empire were a little bit Nazis, a little bit Colonial Britain, a little bit evil Samurai, and were always massive and menacing. Meanwhile, the good guys were a little bit American WW2 fighter pilots, a little bit Arthurian knights, a little bit anti-colonial resistance, and were always the scrappy underdogs. That allowed George Lucas to tell the story of a boy going off to a war where the good guys were 100% morally good and the bad guys were 100% morally bad and the audience got to consider war a grand adventure. (Not a very popular take in 1970s America.)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Star Wars was never all that good

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

That DICK! posted:

which feels like a curb plot in its own right. on a sad note? you're gonna put a on a sad note in front of my death announcement? really? what was the preceding message my death is a sad note on??

:lol:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gutcruncher posted:

They seriously just said “ugh. Taxes am I right?” and that’s all it was. Not even an implication that they weren’t being given a voice in the republic

Wait, did they even mention taxes beyond the trade federation in episode 1 being butthurt about it?

What gets me is that, like, the way they are portrayed is that its basically a bunch of evil business elites. Ok, fine, that makes them pretty easy to swallow movie-bad-guys, and its hardly unknown that a questionable cabal of capitalists would work to undermine their elected leaders and even start a war to overthrow them. But it breaks down from there, what possible reason would they have to be Separatists, surely they want to conquer and control the whole republic, not break off from it to form their own country in the rear end end of the galaxy to make way less money? Am I really expected to accept that some handwavey bullshit about space taxes is enough of justification for starting the intergalactic equivalent of WW3? Do they not get a bit suspicious of this shadowy guy who won't reveal his intentions or identity, especially when one of the main leaders in this whole alliance was already led up poo poo creek by this guy in the last baffling plot to do... something?

In the media outside of the movies there's some poorly developed stuff about how the Republic has been neglecting the outer worlds, people are discontented, yadayadayada, in the actual movies, and the vast majority of the side stuff, this is generally ignored and the CIS just play the role of cartoon bad guys who get soundly defeated at the end by the morally and martially superior republic forces, but this feels like exactly the wrong way to do it, especially since the separatists just use dumb robots to fight the war so there's absolutely no reason at all for the audience to view them as anything other than the opponent for the Jedi to cut down.

The thing is, as with all too many things with the Prequels, with like a few minor tweaks this whole thing could have been made infinitely more interesting and a breeding ground for all sorts of stories big and small. Portray the separatists with a lot more emphasis on the idea that they are disaffected, neglected inhabitants of the sticks who pay their taxes and don't get anything in return. Maybe show some people actually suffer from the Republics excesses, that would sell the idea that Dooku could get the whole ball rolling much more effectively in the first place and make Palpatine seem even more insidious that he's manipulating a real movement that genuinely appeals to disenfranchised people to his diabolical ends. Sideline the idea that they are lead by a bunch of ultra rich bankers and traders who are driving the whole thing, you can still work them into it in a realpolitik kind of way where they are looking out for profits to be reaped playing both sides, and maybe they have a vested interest in dragging out the war to do that which means they support the underdog separatists against the Republic. Have the Separatist armies consist of and be lead by flesh and blood people or androids capable of genuine self actualization, not a bunch of dumb robots following orders with no question who fall apart like a bunch of sticks within 100 meters of a lightsaber. Have some genuine moral dilemmas for people like Anakin and Obi-Wan as they're stuck in this war where they simultaneously are trying to lead their armies to victory for an institution they have dedicated their lives to in the midst of an uncertain conflict where they can't truly figure what the good and bad options are, which would set up Anakin getting more and more drawn to the dark side. Maybe the clones could be representative of the increasingly dehumanized nature of the Republic as it closes out a victory with a mass produced army in a vat against the less well organized armies of the Confederacy, which sets the stage for a transition to empire, perhaps you could even show some of the former Separatist fighters transitioning straight from doing that to joining the rebellion after the Empire is proclaimed. And that's on top of the dramatic reveals you could have when people realize they have all been played by Palpatine all along, anything, Jesus, its amazing how doggedly all of these opportunities were missed in conception here, and I know some of these things have been touched upon by various shows and comics and stuff, but you don't see it in the movies!

I might just be a bit extra mad about this because having read even just the first Dune book, the world building and politics to set up the conflict there runs circles anything Star Wars has ever done. and the Clone Wars are just embarrassing in contrast.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 28, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We've all said everything about star wars before. I guess I just feel like, I don't want to say it again for the rest of my life

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The dumbest thing the prequels did was say there was straight-up slavery in the galaxy and no side of the conflict seemed to care that much about it. George Lucas just wanted Anakin to start out as a child slave and didn't really think about the implications of that. Kind of like how Padmé was a queen in Episode 1 so that he could have a child-queen wearing super-fancy outfits in the movie, and then in the sequel he had to backtrack and say that queen was actually an elected position so that she could then be a senator.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
When I was a kid I thought the clone wars were going to be lots of important people being replaced by clones and who knows who go trust and main characters fighting clones of themselves but who is the real person and what is identity anyway and maybe clones are people too? SO GLAD IT WAS JUST SEA MONKEY STORMTROOPERS INSTEAD

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You’re basically describing Andor if it were made in the time of the prequels

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

LanceHunter posted:

The dumbest thing the prequels did was say there was straight-up slavery in the galaxy and no side of the conflict seemed to care that much about it. George Lucas just wanted Anakin to start out as a child slave and didn't really think about the implications of that. Kind of like how Padmé was a queen in Episode 1 so that he could have a child-queen wearing super-fancy outfits in the movie, and then in the sequel he had to backtrack and say that queen was actually an elected position so that she could then be a senator.

To be fair elected monarchy actually is a real thing, though I can't think of any monarch elected for a 'term' that just makes no sense and is a glorified president.

The slavery thing is also something I could see being exploited but wasn't, what if things like child slavery existing at all was the kind of thing that the Separatists were talking about as part of their qualms with the ineffectiveness of the Republic? Maybe that could be something that causes personal conflict for Anakin given his life and he gets caught up between sympathy for the Separatists and his duty to carry out the will of the Republic (ie, maybe the Republic have made a deal with the Hutts to keep them on side and Tatooine stable and deliberately consign the inhabitants there to their fate). Its like Lucas was intentionally avoiding the interesting concepts that exist here.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That DICK! posted:

It was pretty rough seeing him on the last few seasons of Curb. Felt like they were propping him up with supports, as he sat/stood frozen and could barely get his lines out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hate that we have had ruined Special Editioned Star Wars longer than we’ve had the real non-ruined Star Wars. That should be against the law.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The normal, non special editions are back!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Lucas has basically said that Vellorum is Clinton/neolibs, Sidious is Reagan, and nobody cares about the child slaves in the Outer Rim and nobody cares about the slums of Coruscant (which we see in the movies for like five minutes) because that’s how it is under neoliberalism in Real Life where nobody cares about the poor or the Global South

It’s just that he’s also a poo poo filmmaker without his ex-wife or Kasdan and isn’t good at storytelling/script-writing either

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
we're due for a new classic BOTW

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://y.yarn.co/b3bd886c-1562-4852-81f6-f54a1051858c.mp4

its pronounced 𓇋𓊪𓈖𓅱𓃢𓅆 fuckface
anubis comes the ancient greek name for him and that's /ˈa.nuː.bis/, not /əˈnu.bis/. /əˈnu.bis/ is anglicized and no more or less correct than /ˈan.yu.bis/

I hope whoever wrote this scene is dead

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cubone posted:

anubis comes the ancient greek name for him and that's /ˈa.nuː.bis/, not /əˈnu.bis/. /əˈnu.bis/ is anglicized and no more or less correct than /ˈan.yu.bis/

I’m liking this highbrow cinemasins

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

trilobite terror posted:

Lucas has basically said that Vellorum is Clinton/neolibs, Sidious is Reagan,

is jorge aware of the direction in which time flows

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is jorge aware of the direction in which time flows

yes but it’s the influence of Reagan working through guys like Gingrich, you see, and—

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cubone posted:

Okay you got tell Amos how to pronounce it then.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

No Mods No Masters posted:

In my new incarnation I've decided to stop being a star wars poster. Resisting the incredible temptation to post about the shoddiness of attack of the clones, is simply the first step in my new lifelong journey

o7

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
George Lucas, the man who believes he owns the concept of removing 2 letters from the word android, actually created Star Wars, the most merchandised and promotionally marketed franchise in the history of cinema, because he just really had some insightful messages wanted to convey about such topics as colonialism, liberalism, and capitalism. Oh and slavery. Anyways, buy some more plastic crap, a definite not-child-slave almost lost a finger to the injection mold that created it.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

trilobite terror posted:

Lucas has basically said that Vellorum is Clinton/neolibs, Sidious is Reagan, and nobody cares about the child slaves in the Outer Rim and nobody cares about the slums of Coruscant (which we see in the movies for like five minutes) because that’s how it is under neoliberalism in Real Life where nobody cares about the poor or the Global South

It’s just that he’s also a poo poo filmmaker without his ex-wife or Kasdan and isn’t good at storytelling/script-writing either

Lucas also said in the 90s that he wrote 9 movies and has the entire arc planned from the very beginning. Lucas makes up bullshit all the time.

...would

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
lol is that from the crow remake?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1762912106700034118?s=46

…you know what? I don’t hate this idea. After thinking about it, I guess the Lonely Island guys are the closest thing to the successors of the Airplane/Naked Gun/etc guys

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Sunk Dunk posted:

Yeah lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sunk Dunk posted:

It appears so, yeah.

One of the worst things about the DVD release of The Crow was this audio commentary track with the screenwriter and one of the producers (obviously they weren't going to get Alex Proyas for it). The producer was also involved with the loving Crow television show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HbKvgsS3nw

...he spent nearly the entire commentary track bringing up things just to explain how in the TV show they totally expanded/improved on it. (Like, he says that there's a "surrogate family" aspect to Eric Draven/Sarah/Ernie Hudson's cop character...and the show finally gave them time to explore it!)

This is the show that was so out of ideas that it spent a whole episode putting Eric Draven, undead spirit of vengeance, on trial.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sheen Sheen posted:

…you know what? I don’t hate this idea. After thinking about it, I guess the Lonely Island guys are the closest thing to the successors of the Airplane/Naked Gun/etc guys

Agreed. Cautiously optimistic. Liam Neeson is the perfect replacement. Has done a bunch of serious roles but can be really funny when he wants to be

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

If you’re drunk/high enough, Liam Neeson and Leslie Nielsen are really easy to confuse

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Lil Crow.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poisonpill posted:

Agreed. Cautiously optimistic. Liam Neeson is the perfect replacement. Has done a bunch of serious roles but can be really funny when he wants to be

Obligatory repost of his Derry Girls spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwwFTvzRyug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Even the worst Naked Gun movie is packed with hilarious scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hghyz2yWtWQ&t=21s

Its been ages since we got that kind of rapid fire slapstick comedy in the cinema, it'd be nice if they could pull it off. Unfortunately I have a feeling they'll probably just end up repeating the most famous jokes and scenes but less effectively.