Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Jiro posted:

Reminder that the Sheldon Secret Lair comes out today and is SUPPOSED to last till March 24th, hopefully they keep their word as it's supposed to benefit charity as well.

https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/en

Teferi's Protection is like $40 right now so getting either of them seems worth. Eladamri's Vineyard is only about $6 but has never been printed in foil, so that's probably worth at least as much as the non-foil version from Tempest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Teferi's Protection is like $40 right now so getting either of them seems worth. Eladamri's Vineyard is only about $6 but has never been printed in foil, so that's probably worth at least as much as the non-foil version from Tempest.

First ever reprint of InkShield as well .

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

"Ramp lands - Grow value"

oh so it's every UG deck in existence

I want them to make a simic precon called Simic Bullshit with the description being "you know what to expect"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I want them to make a simic precon called Simic Bullshit with the description being "you know what to expect"

I'll take ten :shepspends:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Just let Maldhound write the descriptions: "These are trust fund colors."

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Prof is selling the leftover Academics at tolariancommunitycollege.com/store

They are not making any more and once these sell out, that's it.

E:

Prof's Youtube post about it was made 3 hours ago and I haven't checked to see if they're still in stock. Just thought I'd share quickly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
already sold out

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

already sold out

That's the 266xl double-sided one. The 133xl was still in stock when I checked after posting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ohh that one

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Prof is selling the leftover Academics at tolariancommunitycollege.com/store

They are not making any more and once these sell out, that's it.

Note that they are not making any more in these colors (the Kickstarter exclusives), but Gamegenic is producing them for retail and they should be in stores in a few months, IIRC.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I should be getting some more cards for my Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy Simic Bullshit deck, what's the best wincon for simic bullshit that doesn't involve bouncing everyone's stuff or taking infinite turns? Right now I have a Koma, and swinging with a big tramply Giant Gale, and a bunch of dudes that make dudes when I play spells.

Oh, and Enter the Infinite + Lab Maniac

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Avenger of Zendikar and Mystic reflection then a land or two or craterhoof

Scute Swarm, Kodama of the East Tree, simic growth chamber. Don't even need craterhoof after a certain point. Edit: this plus tatyova/aesi will draw your whole deck

Adrix and Nev or Esix also work really well for these ideas

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 28, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

A Moose posted:

I should be getting some more cards for my Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy Simic Bullshit deck, what's the best wincon for simic bullshit that doesn't involve bouncing everyone's stuff or taking infinite turns? Right now I have a Koma, and swinging with a big tramply Giant Gale, and a bunch of dudes that make dudes when I play spells.

Oh, and Enter the Infinite + Lab Maniac

Simic is my favorite color combo and the only reason I don't have a deck is its reputation in Commander as target #1. I've always been partial to it because back in the early 90s, the idea of blue and green working together was novel, even more than any other enemy pair. And my best performance in Standard was with Scryb N' Force. If I built a Simic deck, I'd want the wincon to be giant unblockable untargetable beaters with counter backup like that. All that infinite card draw, bounce, and copying has been done to death.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Avenger of Zendikar and Mystic reflection then a land or two or craterhoof

Scute Swarm, Kodama of the East Tree, simic growth chamber. Don't even need craterhoof after a certain point. Edit: this plus tatyova/aesi will draw your whole deck

Adrix and Nev or Esix also work really well for these ideas

Hmm, actually Adrix and Nev or Exix both work pretty well with my favorite dumb Simic wincon, Biovisionary

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Mystic reflection is some good utility and should be in every blue deck. It's basically a creature counter or a doubling of your best creature.

You could also do some more baldurs gate style stuff and use irenicus's vile duplication to clone Gale a few times with the joke idea that you're talking to one of his projections again.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hmm... what if I copy biovisionary a ton of times, then craterhoof to beat everyone to death with biovisionary tokens?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

what are some funny or janky things to do with doomsday in edh? I kind of want to build a janky allnath deck focused on weird combos. I know the lab maniac/thassa's oracle lines but those don't interest me as much; a lot of what I'm looking at right now is just using shelldock isle in the pile to play funny sorceries or big creatures (which I'm also looking for recs on), but I feel like exiling most of my cards and choosing my deck order should enable some weirder stuff.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 28, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Valentin posted:

what are some funny or janky things to do with doomsday in edh? I kind of want to build a janky allnath deck focused on weird combos. I know the lab maniac/thassa's oracle lines but those don't interest me as much; a lot of what I'm looking at right now is just using shelldock isle in the pile to play funny sorceries or big creatures (which I'm also looking for recs on), but I feel like exiling most of my cards and choosing my deck order should enable some weirder stuff.

Hivemind -> Doomsday -> Mind Spring for 6. Your opponents resolve theirs before you and deck themselves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Valentin posted:

Conspicuous Snoop goblin stuff.

Grenzo works too. You're usually shooting for a Kiki loop there, or Murderous Redcap/Metallic Mimic. You can probably also make Dualcaster/Twinflame work with a draw ETB creature.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 28, 2024

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hivemind -> Doomsday -> Mind Spring for 6. Your opponents resolve theirs before you and deck themselves.

Lol hell yeah, quoting this to slot into a deck cause that sounds fantastic

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
That reminds me that I need to actually toss in Hivemind into my 12th doc deck. (That is about forcing some the most awful spells on my opponents.)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol hell yeah, quoting this to slot into a deck cause that sounds fantastic

It's 17 mana, including UUU and BBB. Ideally you slam everything down in one turn.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Valentin posted:

I used to play Doomsday + Hellcarver Demon in my Kaalia deck.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I cast someone's Whispering Madness (wheel effect) from a graveyard with a Hive Mind out, someone Swords'd a good cipher target with that on the stack. Unwinding that may have been one of the most complex stacks I've dealt with.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I put Doomsday in my grenzo deck and took it out because it just wasn't very fun to win that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doomsday is only really fun when it becomes a puzzle. I used it once with that eldrazi that prevents even costed spells being out, and having to figure out a different strategy to get around that was interesting.

I acknowledge probably only for me and not the opponents though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bloodchief Ascension in my Rogues deck just gets me instantly deleted from the table, right?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I want to start playing edh on spelltable (I no longer have a rl crew to play with but will eventually try to get some mates involved).

All the bellyache online about power levels stresses me out (especially playing with randoms) so my plan is to buy a precon for casual play and proxy a deck for cedh. Is that a good starting place? I've not played edh before but have been watching a lot of videos on tolarian community college and the spike feeders (I have played standard/pauper/vintage seriously before).

Probably a simic precon of some kind, the merfolk one looks fun. For cedh I'm thinking dargo/thrassius.

Is there a goon group for spelltable? Any reason any of the above are bad ideas?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bellyaching about power level is dramatically overstated, just play whatever. It's 100 card singleton, unless you've got lots of tutors the in-game variance + politicking will vastly overwhelm the difference between a 7 and a 7.8 or whatever people are labelling things these days

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bellyaching about power level is dramatically overstated, just play whatever. It's 100 card singleton, unless you've got lots of tutors the in-game variance + politicking will vastly overwhelm the difference between a 7 and a 7.8 or whatever people are labelling things these days

I'm pretty sure every single one of my decks has cards that have been there the whole time, that I've either never drawn, or have drawn but only at times where they haven't been worth playing.

A landmark moment in this week's commander night for me was finally playing the Twelfth Doctor in my Thirteenth Doctor deck.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 1, 2024

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like it's pretty easy to tell when you're playing competitive. Like if you have JUST a mana crypt in an otherwise unoptimized deck, its ok. maybe you just want to show off you have one. Same for a Rystic Study. And Mystical Tutor isn't as scary as Vampiric Tutor. None of those cards by themselves are cEDH, but when you play all of them together, plus a cyclonic rift, Grave Pact, and Isochron Scepter, some of the "free if you have a commander" spells and nobody else is playing anything that strong, you know what you're doing.

If you're playing with randoms and realize that people are playing all common tapland manabases and everyone's mana rocks cost 3, maybe sandbag a little? Don't drag out the game forever, but give people a chance before you combo off and win. Though if you go "turn 1 mana crypt ancient tomb chrome mox Godo, bandit warlord" it might be hard to pretend you have only lands in hand.

Conversely if you're the one with the worst deck, maybe you can get the stronger decks to take each other out.

edit: The EDHrec 100 saltiest cards list is wild. The cards everyone hates are effects that grind the game to a halt, which makes sense. But beyond that some of the saltiest cards are poo poo like Drannith Magistrate, or a free Negate, or Opposition Agent, which only punishes you if you are tutoring. I had thought that some of those cards are up there just because they're powerful but too expensive for most players to get and people just aren't proxying poo poo (would Dockside Extortionist be less salty if it costs $5 instead of $90?), but then how is Tabernacle one of the saltiest cards in the game? It costs 4 thousand dollars, statistically, very few players have played against one, unless people are using proxies. in a world where people are using proxies, is force of will really that bad?

Some of these cards probably only make the list if they are the commander. Like Augustin IV, Sheoldred, Urza, Lord High Artificer, or Hokori.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

AquaticIguana posted:

Work in progress, but I'd love some help with a Jon Irenicus deck.
https://www.archidekt.com/decks/6815938/some_strings_attached

Pretty casual playgroup, basically I want to use Jon to ship out unblockable creatures to opponents to dink each other while I pillowfort up. Looking to keep a low threat profile. I've never built a commander deck, and it's not important to me to win consistently. This entire idea is probably garbage, but it sounds entertaining to me.

Issues:
- Not really sure how to win. I know most Jon decks donate cards with huge downsides, maybe I need a couple of those to close out the game if it gets to 1v1
- There's so many mana rocks now (I've been out of the game for a bit) and I don't know how much ramp I need/which I should run. I know the drake charm is bad but it's nostalgic for me.
- I have enchantments to make the attacking creatures draw me cards (only used cards where the enchantment draws and not the creature), but I think I should just have some unconditional draw. Add treasure cruise and one more?
- I do like the idea of homeward bounding my army back and attacking to close out a game, but seems pretty unlikely.
- I'm sure I need more removal, but not sure if there's any that would specifically help my gameplan beyond just killing a thing.
- Lands obv not finalized

Reigns of Power is a good wincon.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Reigns of Power is a good wincon.

seconding this, as it's a wincon in my Kros list

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Moose posted:

edit: The EDHrec 100 saltiest cards list is wild. The cards everyone hates are effects that grind the game to a halt, which makes sense. But beyond that some of the saltiest cards are poo poo like Drannith Magistrate, or a free Negate, or Opposition Agent, which only punishes you if you are tutoring. I had thought that some of those cards are up there just because they're powerful but too expensive for most players to get and people just aren't proxying poo poo (would Dockside Extortionist be less salty if it costs $5 instead of $90?), but then how is Tabernacle one of the saltiest cards in the game? It costs 4 thousand dollars, statistically, very few players have played against one, unless people are using proxies. in a world where people are using proxies, is force of will really that bad?

Some of these cards probably only make the list if they are the commander. Like Augustin IV, Sheoldred, Urza, Lord High Artificer, or Hokori.

as far as I can tell the commander community writ large basically dislikes interaction/disruption of their gameplans, especially proactive interaction/disruption via stax pieces that requires them to have means of interaction themselves, and the salt ratings are compiled from a bunch of people whose takes on what does or should make them mad is as contradictory as their approaches to the format

tabernacle definitely makes sense as a high salt card despite its lack of prevalence though, since it ticks all the boxes - shockingly expensive, disrupts normal gameplans, can grind games to a halt, only used in contexts where you're almost certainly not playing a "normal" game of EDH, and not particularly well-positioned even in full-proxy all-in competitive EDH

e: drannith magistrate and the free counterspells definitely make me roll my eyes though - the latter are obviously good but there's a pretty hard limit on how strong 1-for-1 interaction is going to be, and while I definitely get why a card that prevents you from running out your commander is extremely annoying, there should absolutely be tools to efficiently interact with that part of your opponents' gameplan in a reasonably efficient way, especially given how much value many commanders create on etb/the tools that exist to protect them in play/etc., and having that utility stapled on a 1/3 makes it quite easy to deal with

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 1, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm still surprised dockside hasn't been banned

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please no, I really want it to create a lethal amount of cat tokens in my Jinnie Fay deck.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

Please no, I really want it to create a lethal amount of cat tokens in my Jinnie Fay deck.

it's really not hard to do that without dockside. but i guess instead of having one fire hose of cats, you can have two fires hoses of cats.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why? I think I've only ever gotten a bunch of treasures once, and it was because an opponent with a bunch of treasures of his own didn't crack them in response. Dockside's really not a menace at casual tables.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I'm slightly mad that i got back into magic, bought a single commander masters pack with hullbreacher and two days later it got banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Party Miser posted:

I'm slightly mad that i got back into magic, bought a single commander masters pack with hullbreacher and two days later it got banned.

Lol