Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Got to 20 last night and unlocked the railgun. Definitely a different game without it, using it makes it much easier to deal with heavies compared to having to haul around a EAT or Recoilless Rifle and hoping you hit the right spot. Also, this game hits the 40k spot of you being an elite trooper / guardsman facing endless hordes of necrons / chaos or tyranids. Also its pretty cool / funny that the pelican looks like the pelican from Halo and the Automaton heavies look like 40k dreads but maybe thats the joke.

Edit: new page snipe:

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Benagain posted:

where you seeing this out of curiosity

Found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...hare&utm_term=1

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the only thing that confuses me about the breaker vs other shotguns is the insane ammo count

breaker holds 7+1 mags of 16 rounds for a total of 128. the pump shotguns hold 40+16 for a total of 56, its not even close

i get that the breaker will lose some ammo here and there from reloads, but the reload is so drat fast that i hardly ever do non-empty reloads, even in the middle of a fight. i actually really like the first shotgun you unlock, and by all accounts i heard the slugger is even better, but i dont want to use them cause they are terrible at ammo efficiency compared to the breaker and it sucks rear end to be near empty after one kinda long fight

itd be nice if they added like 20-40 rounds to the pumps so that i can feel more confident using them to clear up trash and not think im screwing myself over down the line

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the only thing that confuses me about the breaker vs other shotguns is the insane ammo count

breaker holds 7+1 mags of 16 rounds for a total of 128. the pump shotguns hold 40+16 for a total of 56, its not even close

i get that the breaker will lose some ammo here and there from reloads, but the reload is so drat fast that i hardly ever do non-empty reloads, even in the middle of a fight. i actually really like the first shotgun you unlock, and by all accounts i heard the slugger is even better, but i dont want to use them cause they are terrible at ammo efficiency compared to the breaker and it sucks rear end to be near empty after one kinda long fight

itd be nice if they added like 20-40 rounds to the pumps so that i can feel more confident using them to clear up trash and not think im screwing myself over down the line

It's worse than that, the Slugger only gets 24 rounds from a resupply callin box. Not sure if the pump shotty is the same, but its an inexplicable anomaly compared to all other primary weapons.

Breaker should be like 8 round mags imo.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That and it puts out triple the damage of the next closest weapon lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's worse than that, the Slugger only gets 24 rounds from a resupply callin box. Not sure if the pump shotty is the same, but its an inexplicable anomaly compared to all other primary weapons.

Breaker should be like 8 round mags imo.

i would also accept resupply boxes giving full ammo to the pump shotguns, that would be nice

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Benagain posted:

I still gotta try the ballistic shield with the defender

Be prepared for disappointment.

Because the shield is technically held in your other hand, the game treats it like a held object akin to the SSSD so anything that ragdolls you will cause you to physically drop the shield.

This is... not great considering that the ranged fire-heavy faction (bots) also shoot plenty of rockets, all of which (if they don't kill you outright) will ragdoll you on impact and send either you, the shield, or both of you flying.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

riot shield should go flying from the divers hands if it blocks a rocket but the diver should be left untouched out in the open

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weld the shield to the helldiver, then

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

When the shield is on your back it still actually does deflect shots. Might be the best way to use it.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

diving while holding the shield should put it under the player like a sled and let them slide down inclines

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I don't know if it's worth it to put into the op, but this is a neat site:

https://helldivers.io/

They believe that abandoning a mission does not contribute to losing a planet. It seems like they've done a bit of data diving to get this all together, so it's most likely true.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Knowing that armor isn't currently working as intended (hoping it will be akin to HD1 once fixed), these are my tentative future balance hopes:

- SLIGHT magazine capacity nerf for the breaker. I don't think the gun needs to be nerfed as much as bad stuff needs to be buffed but I think dropping 2-3 shots per clip would help make some of the alternatives more appealing.

- Addition of two charges to the jump pack with a really small cooldown between charges (like 3 seconds) then the standard recharge after both charges are used. Right now, you can only use it to either get into or out of a situation, where this would let you do both or go a longer distance if you really have to GTFO of a sticky situation

- Add some kind of tazer/electricfication field to the ballistic shield so it zaps melee enemies who hit the shield. My idea here is to give the ballistic shield some sort of one-up over the energy shield backpack, which just seems superior in every single way

- Tighten the cone for the 120 and 380MM barrages so they're actually usable in any way, shape or form.

- Slight damage buff for EAT and recoilless rifle to make them more attractive when compared to other lategame anti-armor options.

- Maybe a third EAT per drop, or have the EAT be a double-tube rocket launcher (like Halo's SPNKR) so you get two shots per tube. Could adjust cooldown length if this is too much power boost.

- IDK what the solution is but the Tesla Tower definitely needs some love. I haven't gotten all the sentry ship upgrades yet so maybe those help but in my experience the Tesla just gets wrecked in <5 seconds after calling it down.

- Higher armor piercing on the Anti-Materiel rifle

- Have the Senator revolver use a quickloader IF you clear all rounds before reload.

Those are just a few. Agree with other posters that many of the variants (incendiary, spray+pray, etc.) are much worse than the vanilla versions so I'd like to see some extra effects added to elemental or special damages. Maybe enemies panic when ignited?

All in all I am sure things will go in a positive direction given the game's success and the fact that the initial putting out of technical fires seems mostly done

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Legit Businessman posted:

They believe that abandoning a mission does not contribute to losing a planet. It seems like they've done a bit of data diving to get this all together, so it's most likely true.

One of the devs clarified this is the case a couple of days ago on reddit.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

High-level bot missions are probably the most fun I'm having right now, with the Infiltrator armor + Autocannon I feel like a one-diver guerilla army. Pop into a base or sub-objective, clear it quickly and aggressively, then run out again before the bots drop an army on you. And even if they do, you lead them on a wild chase and disappear into the nearby forest until they lose your trail, then you move onto the next target.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tenchrono posted:

Got to 20 last night and unlocked the railgun. Definitely a different game without it, using it makes it much easier to deal with heavies compared to having to haul around a EAT or Recoilless Rifle and hoping you hit the right spot. Also, this game hits the 40k spot of you being an elite trooper / guardsman facing endless hordes of necrons / chaos or tyranids. Also its pretty cool / funny that the pelican looks like the pelican from Halo and the Automaton heavies look like 40k dreads but maybe thats the joke.

Edit: new page snipe:

Cadia broke before the guard did

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Legit Businessman posted:

Quick clarification, abandoning an operation doesn't count as a loss but doesn't contribute to victory. Losing/quitting a mission and failing the operation DOES count however.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i actually really like the first shotgun you unlock, and by all accounts i heard the slugger is even better, but i dont want to use them cause they are terrible at ammo efficiency compared to the breaker and it sucks rear end to be near empty after one kinda long fight

The Slugger is... interesting. It feels a lot like what the Diligence Counter-Sniper wants to be, so it's better to think of it less as a shotgun and more as a pump-action marksman rifle. The high damage per round basically guarantees a one-shot kill on pretty much every chaff bot and is also the reason why it can stagger bot berserkers. A critical hit (aka, a bot's head) will one-shot pretty much every bot short of a Hulk, too (it feels very good to one-shot a Devastator at range with the Slugger).

The round it fires is a bit small though, so unlike with bugs (who present big horizontal targets) on occasion you will actually miss a bot because the round passes through a gap or it goes just a little wide enough to miss, so it does take a bit of getting used to. Hence why it's better to think of it more like a pump-action marksman rifle and less like a shotgun - shotguns hit things that you generally point them towards thanks to spread, the Slugger won't because you were ever-so-slightly off.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

does anyone remember what they said about content updates me and a friend can't remember when to expect the next content drop

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ijyt posted:

does anyone remember what they said about content updates me and a friend can't remember when to expect the next content drop

Every 2nd Thursday

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

johnny park posted:

Every 2nd Thursday

so this thursday or starting from march

e: misread

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JBP posted:

I have been using it heaps and this doesn't seem to matter. Clear view, stationary, looking right at you, no lock. Try again and again, nothing.

There's no trick to it, it just doesn't work properly.

There is a trick to it. I outlined it. But I guess it's easier to just go "no actually the game is loving over me personally" i suppose.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

riot shield should go flying from the divers hands if it blocks a rocket but the diver should be left untouched out in the open

but also give it a dark souls parry that lets you deflect rockets + keep the shield if you time it right

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I just want this game to go full Payday 2 and give me an absurdly large collection of incredibly cool guns. Possibly also bows and arrows. We can put in another difficulty setting for tryhard meta moron masochists.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Quicksilver6 posted:

I just want this game to go full Payday 2 and give me an absurdly large collection of incredibly cool guns. Possibly also bows and arrows. We can put in another difficulty setting for tryhard meta moron masochists.

Thankfully so far they've managed to avoid going full Payday 3

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I can’t sigh disappointedly enough for that game.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

CainFortea posted:

There is a trick to it. I outlined it. But I guess it's easier to just go "no actually the game is loving over me personally" i suppose.

I guess it's loving me over personally too. It's wildly inconsistent. It also seems to just not fire immediately on a solid lock? A friend and I were weapons teaming it and growing increasingly frantic as a hulk bore down on us and I never got a lock until it was at point blank range. It never fired. We just died :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Quicksilver6 posted:

Is there a breakdown somewhere of where they went wrong? I only heard the launch wasn't great and it's been struggling?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

LuiCypher posted:

Slugger Stuff

You absolutely nailed it on the head - it feels like a pump action DMR in ways the DMR should be.

Exploding Devastator heads with it is extremely cathartic. Highly recommend folks try it out especially versus bots - but it's solid on bugs too, especially with the extreme stagger it causes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pierson posted:

Is there a breakdown somewhere of where they went wrong? I only heard the launch wasn't great and it's been struggling?

There were launch issues but beyond that it's just an inferior version of payday 2 with a fraction of a fraction of the content in that game so nobody stuck around. Devs recently committed to improving all the stuff people hated the most (which is almost literally everything) but it's going to be too little too late. PD2 still gets tens of thousands of players on weeknights but payday 3 is lucky to have triple digit player counts now.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I find it somewhat wild that people are arguing that some guns in a co-op game are too good. Gaming in 2024 has broken some brains.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

The final heist of the payday gang was to rip us off with PD3.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

I find it somewhat wild that people are arguing that some guns in a co-op game are too good. Gaming in 2024 has broken some brains.

I think that's been a thing in every co-op gun game with loadouts? At least this was definitely the same discussion in Payday 2 and Warframe, and a bunch of other games.

Now the ideal is EDF where there are good guns and bad guns but nobody complains too much because whether or not something is good is secondary to whether or something is funny.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

Now the ideal is EDF where there are good guns and bad guns but nobody complains too much because whether or not something is good is secondary to whether or something is funny.

True. I love this game but im still jonesing for that edf6 fix

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CainFortea posted:

It has problems and doesn't work for many people, there is no trick to it when the trick doesn't work. It is not working well.

You're a bit of an obnoxious fuckwit, just letting you know in case it's a user error rather than a bug.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
The worst is when the Spear decides to lock 90% of the way, then starts to lose lock, then locks to 90% of the way, then starts to lose lock...

Also anecdotally, I had more luck with side-aspect locks than front/rear-aspect, which is unfortunate because I need that frontal shot to have a chance at the charger/titan one-shot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Insert name here posted:

The worst is when the Spear decides to lock 90% of the way, then starts to lose lock, then locks to 90% of the way, then starts to lose lock...

Also anecdotally, I had more luck with side-aspect locks than front/rear-aspect, which is unfortunate because I need that frontal shot to have a chance at the charger/titan one-shot.

Yep. I spent some time with it locking on to non-aggro titans in clear conditions.

Changing nothing about my position relevant to the target I would get different results. Taking a position. That seemed worse (such as downhill) would get lock. Sometimes you can snap fire it point blank into a titan after trying three times to get lock at mid range in good conditions.

It's just a bit busted which is a shame because it's very cool.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

i hate when people join your party, don't use voice chat, and then run around and get, literally, 45 kills in a mission we dragged them through

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

omg chael crash posted:

i hate when people join your party, don't use voice chat, and then run around and get, literally, 45 kills in a mission we dragged them through

Conversely, I hate when people join your party and they have a hot mic, so you hear either their breathing, their controller vibrating, the random crinkle of them reaching into a bag of Cheetos, and any combination of those things. Or the bros who have a long tacticool back and forth every time a bug breach occurs when the difficulty is... 3. Sometimes you just vibe with people even in high-difficulty missions such that even without voice comms, you're on the same page - it's magical when you can just kind of wordlessly understand what needs to be done and you take your roles accordingly.

(Context: I dislike when you pop into a friend's mission and it does not tell you where the mission is or what difficulty they're on. That's how I wound up in a Difficulty 3 bug mission when I was hoping based on their levels that they were doing something a bit more challenging.)

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

who in the world wants voice communication with randos

just type it out its better that way. voice comms are for people youre close to