Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Taco Bell will gladly tell you that their cheese are 100% vegetarian friendly. That’s a huge plus.

Vegetarians can eat cheese
Vegans can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

EoinCannon posted:

Vegetarians can eat cheese
Vegans can't

Not all cheeses can be eaten by vegetarians.

E: To be more helpful, most cheese is made with rennet, an animal byproduct. This requires the slaughter of an animal. Vegetarian friendly cheeses do not use rennet.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 28, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
AP has the full statement from Wendy's:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1762866519388606905

quote:

Wendy’s says it has no plans to raise prices during the busiest times at its restaurants

Wendy’s says that it has no plans to increase prices during the busiest times at its restaurants.

The burger chain clarified its stance on how it will approach pricing after various media reports said that the company was looking to test having the prices of its menu items fluctuate throughout the day based on demand.

“Wendy’s will not implement surge pricing, which is the practice of raising prices when demand is highest. We didn’t use that phrase, nor do we plan to implement that practice,” the company said late Tuesday in a prepared statement.

Wendy’s Co. plans to invest about $20 million to launch digital menu boards at all of its U.S. company-run restaurants by the end of 2025. It also plans to invest approximately $10 million over the next two years to support digital menu enhancements globally.

Wendy’s said that its digital menu boards “could allow us to change the menu offerings at different times of day and offer discounts and value offers to our customers more easily, particularly in the slower times of day.”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still don't believe them, but if I can actually get junk food a bit cheaper by eating an early dinner, sure, that'd be neat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Let’s look at Burger King:
They got the impossible stuff but ya know the impossible patties are still grilled on the same countertops as their meat, and the fries you’re eating are still fried in the same oil they fry chicken nuggets.
I'll admit I'm a bit confused by this, or at least, I kind of assumed vegetarianism and to a lesser extent, veganism are fairly loose and up to personal feelings and preference? I thought vegetarian is largely "no meat" and vegan is basically no animal product. Either can be founded in a "no animal cruelty" belief, but vegan leans more towards that. I'm a little unclear why most/some vegetarians would take issue with their food being made adjacent to/on the same surface something that was made with meat, so long as they aren't personally consuming said meat. Being cooked in the same oil as a meat makes a little more sense, but still feels a bit of a "well you're still not personally consuming meat." and arguably still passes the "no animals were slaughter for my meal specifically" qualifier? Unless it's an actual food allergy/sensitivity. That said I can certainly understand it if it's just a personal standard/line, it just struck me as a bit odd.

(I was gonna quote the cheese thing but it looks like you clarified about rennet)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 28, 2024

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really appreciate that Taco Bell exists because they’re like the only fast food place that actually caters to vegetarians.

E: caters is doing a lot of work but they do have actual vegetarian stuff, including their cheeses

Subway? Or is that bad for some reason

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Subway has a pretty limited veggie selection with basically no protein options.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Let’s look at Burger King:

They got the impossible stuff but ya know the impossible patties are still grilled on the same countertops as their meat, and the fries you’re eating are still fried in the same oil they fry chicken nuggets.

Can't speak for the American market but having been a burger flipper in the UK when I was a teenager, this wasn't true even back then.
Fry station is separate from other fryers and vegetarian stuff has a specified grill.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I think that varies from place to place in the US. When I worked at Sheetz, we only had one frier for everything. Meat, vegetables, cheese all in the same oil and the menu was basically every fast food type place rolled into one.. Might have changed by now though it's been a while.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Subway has a pretty limited veggie selection with basically no protein options.

It looks like there's a plant-based steak thing

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not where I live there isn't and vegetarian options that are only sometimes available are no better than no options because then you're gambling on whether the region you're in has a menu item you can eat. I've also never seen an ad for it so it's not available nationally.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I take it the public reception was...frosty

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: To be more helpful, most cheese is made with rennet, an animal byproduct. This requires the slaughter of an animal. Vegetarian friendly cheeses do not use rennet.

If containing an animal byproduct is a disqualifier for vegetarians then you'd better tell them to drop the pastries.

Also I thought the deep frying process wouldn't result in any meaningful cross contaminating since the point of the frying (if done right) is to create a sudden external barrier to intrusion; oil intrusion is supposed to be minimal.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 28, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There is no vegetarian/vegan police that is going to police what a vegetarian/vegan eats. A vegetarian/vegan can make that decision themselves on a personal level.

That said, we can still have standard definitions of what it means to be vegetarian and/or vegan. The way rennet is obtained is from butchering animals. This is different from getting milk, eggs, etc, as those don't require the animal to be slaughtered. There are a whole bunch of other issues of course, but it's safe to say that rennet and thus most cheeses are not compatible with a vegetarian diet.

How far the individual wants to take that is up to them. But that wasn't even my point I was raising. My point was that Taco Bell is doing something right by sourcing vegetarian friendly cheeses and offering actual vegetarian food, which is a lot better than what McDonald's and co are doing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Wendy's CEO is now either "clarifying" or backtracking and saying that the surge pricing will work similar to happy hours.

You pay a "higher" price during rush, but that is the normal menu price. There are discounts during low sales times.

Whether that is actually a clarification or a walkback, it is still a massive self-inflicted wound. Restaurants and bars have already figured this out. You just raise your prices and make that your normal price, then you have a happy hour discount down to where you want to price them in the off hours.

I'm guessing one of the lawyers pulled the CEO inside and explained carefully that not only does it look bad, but that truth in advertising laws may make it illegal. Maybe.

Oxyclean posted:

I still don't believe them, but if I can actually get junk food a bit cheaper by eating an early dinner, sure, that'd be neat.

Yes, in the same way that you get "Great Deals" in Kohls, or on Black Friday, since everything is 40% off!!!

Sure, the price is double what it would be normally, but look at the savings!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I take it the public reception was...frosty

Look at this square over here

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

But that wasn't even my point I was raising. My point was that Taco Bell is doing something right by sourcing vegetarian friendly cheeses and offering actual vegetarian food, which is a lot better than what McDonald's and co are doing.

Do you not have the McPlant in the USA?

KFC, Burger king and subway all have their own permanent vegan offerings over here now.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 28, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mega Comrade posted:

KFC, Burger king and subway all have their own permanent vegan offerings over here now.

I'm not a huge fast food eater, but I'm pretty sure most of those places killed their vegan meat options. Burger King is the only one I think still has it on every menu. The rest are all up to individual franchises or discontinued.

Subway is the only one I'm not sure about.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

McPlant was tested in some places (Texas????) and they killed it.

KFC was testing their Impossible Tenders but they also killed it.

Looked up a Subway close to me on the official website and the only vegetarian option is "veggie delight" which is just a salad but in a bun.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In the US it's just Burger King as far as national chains with nationwide adoption of meat alternatives like impossible whoppers. Everything else is regional if that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesnt Subway have some sort of black bean veg patty?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not in the US, and not at any time I'm aware of.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Oxyclean posted:

I'm a little unclear why most/some vegetarians would take issue with their food being made adjacent to/on the same surface something that was made with meat, so long as they aren't personally consuming said meat. Being cooked in the same oil as a meat makes a little more sense, but still feels a bit of a "well you're still not personally consuming meat." and arguably still passes the "no animals were slaughter for my meal specifically" qualifier? Unless it's an actual food allergy/sensitivity.

My local vegetarian has this concern becuase their body is so unused to meat at this point that even a little cross-contamination will give them the shits.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

That’s my secret. I always have the shits

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

There is no vegetarian/vegan police that is going to police what a vegetarian/vegan eats. A vegetarian/vegan can make that decision themselves on a personal level.

Hey look at this guy who’s never experienced Scott Pilgrim.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Unless you are in Europe.

Then, it's Pizza Hut.

Yum! Brands owns both (also KFC)

I smile at every closure i see of theirs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

A minority of cheeses use animal rennet, because Fermentation-Produced Chymosin is not only cheaper it’s also a lot purer and more consistent, giving better control of the cheesemaking process.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
have a sip.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It’s not rennet if it’s microbial. It’s pure chymosin.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

They'll still be using FreshAI, which they announced at the same time. Almost as though they're distracting the public on purpose.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm not a huge fast food eater, but I'm pretty sure most of those places killed their vegan meat options. Burger King is the only one I think still has it on every menu. The rest are all up to individual franchises or discontinued.

Subway is the only one I'm not sure about.

Guessing European market must has more vegetarian/vegans to make it worth while for them :shrug:

The meat free options in supermarkets have blown up here too. You have loads of brands including store own ones doing meat free alternatives. Obviously some are better than others but it's been really nice having some choice.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

It’s not rennet if it’s microbial. It’s pure chymosin.

Rennet-style microbial product

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Falafel Döner > Döner; bekämpf mich im echten Leben.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

poop device posted:

They'll still be using FreshAI, which they announced at the same time. Almost as though they're distracting the public on purpose.

I don't eat fast food much but occasionally take my son and just about every place besides Chic Fil A and (sometimes) McDOnalds is running a skeleton crew. There's a BK and a Wendy's right near my work and going inside is loving depressing and I always get this weird disconnect whenever I see a commercial for one of them where everything is clean, workers are smiling and bustling about, etc.

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Wendy's and Homophobic Chicken Restaurant also often have like 20-30 cars waiting (I imagine) up to an hour for 'fast' food, while Burger King is usually empty. I don't know when BK become so unpopular I'm surprised they're still in business honestly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Faxanadus posted:

Homophobic Chicken Restaurant

they have multiple drive-thrus and sometimes it backs up so bad it blocks traffic. i don't understand it honestly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/leap-year-glitch-broke-self-pay-pumps-across-new-zealand-for-over-10-hours/

quote:

As reported by numerous international outlets, self-serve pumps in New Zealand were unable to accept card payments due to a problem with the gas pumps' payment processing software. The New Zealand Herald reported that the outage lasted "more than 10 hours." This effectively shuttered some gas stations, while others had to rely on in-store payments. The outage affected suppliers, including Allied Petroleum, BP, Gull, Waitomo, and Z Energy, and has reportedly been fixed.

What tech nightmares did y'all experience today due to bad programming?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Volmarias posted:

I'm guessing one of the lawyers pulled the CEO inside and explained carefully that not only does it look bad, but that truth in advertising laws may make it illegal. Maybe.

I checked the original articles and the verbatim quote always said "dynamic pricing", and then every single news outlet would add "otherwise known as surge pricing" and go on like that.
While it's definitely an unforced error ("dynamic pricing" is too vague a statement), I feel a lot of the blame has to do with news outlets adding their own details because outrage feeds clicks.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kyte posted:

I checked the original articles and the verbatim quote always said "dynamic pricing", and then every single news outlet would add "otherwise known as surge pricing" and go on like that.
While it's definitely an unforced error ("dynamic pricing" is too vague a statement), I feel a lot of the blame has to do with news outlets adding their own details because outrage feeds clicks.

What else would "dynamic pricing" mean though? There's no way they'd use it exclusively for off hours discounts.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ponzicar posted:

What else would "dynamic pricing" mean though? There's no way they'd use it exclusively for off hours discounts.

Why would you say this? Marketing maxim suggests that you should always have the highest price the sticker price and discount from there to seal the deal. This is a bit different to nickle and diming where the sticker pricing is not the full price because you need to add tax, tip, etc but I don't think the pricing of the Wendy's burger was intended to be a surprise at checkout?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Why would you say this? Marketing maxim suggests that you should always have the highest price the sticker price and discount from there to seal the deal. This is a bit different to nickle and diming where the sticker pricing is not the full price because you need to add tax, tip, etc but I don't think the pricing of the Wendy's burger was intended to be a surprise at checkout?
I think the true test will be what they do when there is a supply disruption, and they don't have enough of a particular product or ingredient to meet their normal demand.

And if the local franchise owner has direct control of the pricing, then it is basically guaranteed we will be seeing jacked up prices when they start running low on something, regardless of what corporate says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Inferior Third Season posted:

I think the true test will be what they do when there is a supply disruption, and they don't have enough of a particular product or ingredient to meet their normal demand.

And if the local franchise owner has direct control of the pricing, then it is basically guaranteed we will be seeing jacked up prices when they start running low on something, regardless of what corporate says.

Yeah, I can see that, and probably done subtlety in a way that it is not apparent something has had its price jacked up. I think it would be a mistake in the long term but would think this could only work where there is little competition and word of mouth is non-existent. Speaking of which, how does pricing work in China for fast food? Often the more dystopian capitalistic methods are in full force there.