Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Turpitude posted:

Yeah its such trash, completely misses the point of the Baron's hideousness being a choice he has made as an act of abuse/terror against his many victims.

I'm not sure which option is worse, but I'm glad that we're at least moving away from fatness representing evil in media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Also Children Of Dune explicitly names her mother as Tanidia Nerus.
If a good writer wanted to fix this, they could've included a plot point to justify the retcon by it being a cover name.
Unfortunately no good writer was involved, and the prequels don't exist at any rate.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm not sure which option is worse, but I'm glad that we're at least moving away from fatness representing evil in media.

Hey be fair, being extremely skinny also sometimes indicates evil

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Hey be fair, being extremely skinny also sometimes indicates evil

and Dune 2 is gonna give us both Fat Evil (the Baron) and Skinny Evil (Feyd)!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the duality of evil (Chub/Twink).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

uber_stoat posted:

the duality of evil (Chub/Twink).

hey, bears can be toxic too

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
And nobody ever talks about Villeneuve's blatant peladophobia!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

it's good to have representation for all demographics being huge pieces of poo poo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If a good writer wanted to fix this, they could've included a plot point to justify the retcon by it being a cover name.
Unfortunately no good writer was involved, and the prequels don't exist at any rate.

I think they do say at some point it was an alias but like a good author would have just not done that at all because it's dumb.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I need a meme where Tim Meadows is in the bathroom from Walk Hard and he’s got glowing blue eyes and he’s saying ‘it’s the coolest drug there is’.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels is that Mohiam asks the Baron for sperm and he rapes her as a gently caress you, and in retaliation she looks through her inventory of contained diseases and gives him the incurable one that turned him into a fat disgusting blob. Before that he was fit. Also now you know the fun story of how Lady Jessica was conceived.

That's actually extremely stupid though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels is that Mohiam asks the Baron for sperm and he rapes her as a gently caress you, and in retaliation she looks through her inventory of contained diseases and gives him the incurable one that turned him into a fat disgusting blob. Before that he was fit. Also now you know the fun story of how Lady Jessica was conceived.

The more I've learned about the prequels over the years, the more I've gone out of my way to avoid them lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

the only thing the herbert failson has written of value was his signature to let them make these

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

That's actually extremely stupid though

Whatcha want from me I didn't write it!

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
If the prequels were just regular bad instead of undermining the original series in a downright antagonistic way, I think people wouldn't hate them as much.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Good soup! posted:

The more I've learned about the prequels over the years, the more I've gone out of my way to avoid them lol

They're really awful.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've been super excited about the new movie, but now I found out that they completely eliminated Thufir from the new movie, going as far to edit out his parts.

Goddamn it. One of my favorite characters from the book. I am now angry internet man.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've been super excited about the new movie, but now I found out that they completely eliminated Thufir from the new movie, going as far to edit out his parts.

Goddamn it. One of my favorite characters from the book. I am now angry internet man.

Yeah that part hurts my soul. It's perhaps a close second to the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which thank God wasn't erased. I mentioned earlier in the thread but it's a pivotal plot point that the Emperor sends two people in his retinue in a row to kill Paul, the first dying at his feet from loyalty and then the best fighter being knifed in the brain. It drives home a point that Shaddam is completely out of options to contain him.

Plus it's an emotional moment with a crazy amount of time for payoff. Sucks that Dennis did us dirty.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This new shogun miniseries kinda reaffirms the old truths, a miniseries is the proper way to adapt a gigantic novel for screen. Look at all you sacrificed so that we could be coughed on in a theater denis

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels

Please don't troll this thread

Shogun is such a wild story. Is any of it true?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Squashy Nipples posted:

imagine casting Stephen McKinley Harrison and Tim Blake Nelson and then cutting them entirely. the nerve!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Shogun is such a wild story. Is any of it true?

It’s a fictionalized version of the true story of William Adams and Tokugawa

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 28, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

As a person that read every book, think of the invaluable service I'm providing to repel anyone from reading the prequels.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

As a person that read every book, think of the invaluable service I'm providing to repel anyone from reading the prequels.

What’s your take on Chapterhouse and Heretics?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like the suggestion that you should stop reading the Dune books when you stop enjoying them, because they will only get worse from there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I thought the second book absolutely sucked rear end but whatever, I'm excited for the film trilogy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The first two episodes depicted the most lightly fictionalized part of shogun and it will diverge steadily more wildly from there, especially as eg the absolutely 100% made up love story is presumably going to get underway.

Ah, but if denis had the time to fully explore his text

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i recently got through Heretics and it was a little tedious but had its moments. gonna do Chapterhouse soon just so i can have finished all the Frankie books.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

This new shogun miniseries kinda reaffirms the old truths, a miniseries is the proper way to adapt a gigantic novel for screen. Look at all you sacrificed so that we could be coughed on in a theater denis

Denis just doesn't want to do tv.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
That was a good good movie. Packed theater too!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s your take on Chapterhouse and Heretics?

Hi!

Heretics is around when the magic vagina technique is finally surmounted by Duncan using his nascent magic penis technique, which is long after the plot of the extended books turned into an endurance art exercise for me. Everything just became so freewheeling and loving weird.

Reading them chronologically as they were written, I think they overused the trope of a hero being tortured and that giving them super powers. Norma Cenva, then Miles Teg respectively. I can't prove it and my brain is cheese but I think Teg was instrumental is helping to steal the no-ship Ithaca because he was basically superman at that point. Spoiler, Norma is the oracle the guild navigators communicate with to fold space.

More to the point, I think in the later books, Gholas are overused to the point that plot deaths are completely meaningless and literally nobody is erased from the plot unless the authors want it. It's literally this Onion article.
https://www.theonion.com/author-too-much-of-a-pussy-to-kill-off-characters-1819568693

Reading them all I was pretty let down that a Leto II ghola was around and I figured he'd gently caress poo poo up once he was awakened after loving forever and the end was a waste.

Hope this helps op.

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 29, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I HEAR LETO DIES IN THE END

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Monica Bellucci posted:

I HEAR LETO DIES IN THE END

Nooooo

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I really don't agree. I don't see how having Chalamet spouting literal nonsense words is a less harmful of a depiction of arab/islamic culture. If you're sanitizing your movie to preempt criticisms from right wing reactionaries then you're doing it wrong.

They’re removing the allusion because it would be demeaning. Right wing racists would like to see to see Islam portrayed in a negative light, how does this appease them? Had the original phrase remained, we’d be reading an article about how the film appropriated the rallying cry of the Algerian Independence Front and employed it in a damaging way, and they’d be right.

I think you’re analyzing the change while thinking of how the phrase and fight comes across in the novels rather than in the film.

I can absolutely understand your frustrations with casting though.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

BastardySkull posted:

Is there any facsimile or exploration of the idea that Paul can't fully see the future yet, particularly because the one person he couldn't see (Count Fenring) appears to have been written out?

I've read the book three times and have no memory of this character. Am I the kwisatz haderach?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

Whatcha want from me I didn't write it!

computer, play back last post

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts of the prequels

stop. go back.

Scags McDouglas posted:

interesting parts of the prequels

hmm. stop. rotate 45 degrees. zoom in.

Scags McDouglas posted:

One of the interesting parts

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kalel posted:

computer, play back last post

Oh yeah I gotcha. I'll be a big man on the internet and clarify.

I don't want to glorify rape (:mods:) but what I meant by interesting is that the victim had full control over her body and used the opportunity to send the aggressor a nice little present in the form of an incurable disease that made him physically loathsome. It kinda reminds me of those anti-rape barbed condoms but translated to a future fantasy world. It's why I didn't use such words as "good" or "funny" but interesting.

If I'm digging a deeper hole here I'll take the loss. I know I'm tossing out Dune lore in the movie thread that'll never hit the big screen but if you suffer through all of the books, it adds different context to the lives and characters presented to the audience in the films.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah that part hurts my soul. It's perhaps a close second to the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which thank God wasn't erased. I mentioned earlier in the thread but it's a pivotal plot point that the Emperor sends two people in his retinue in a row to kill Paul, the first dying at his feet from loyalty and then the best fighter being knifed in the brain. It drives home a point that Shaddam is completely out of options to contain him.

Plus it's an emotional moment with a crazy amount of time for payoff. Sucks that Dennis did us dirty.

It's actually three. Thufir is sent, then Feyd, then he asks Count Fenring to kill Paul. Paul cannot see Fenring because yes, he's a failed Kwizatz Haderach. I think if I remember rightly Paul sees the showdown with the Emperor as a nexus in his prescience that he can't see through, that it could all go awry for him. I think at first he puts it down to Guildsmen being there, but realises that it's Fenring. Fenring also sees himself in Paul, and refuses to kill him. Fenring is also one of the deadliest fighters and could have taken Paul, possibly.

Checking the book quickly:

quote:

"The Emperor's errand boy, Paul thought. And the thought was a shock crashing across his conciousness because he had seen the Emperor in uncounted associations spread through the possible futures - but never once had Count Fenring appeared within those prescient visions. It occurred to Paul then that he had seen his own dead body along countless reaches of the time web, but never once had he seen his moment of death.

Have I been denied a glipse of this man because he is the one who kills me? Paul wondered."

quote:

The Count focused on Paul, seeing with eyes his Lady Margot had trained in the Bene Gesserit way, aware of the mystery and hidden grandeur about this Atredies youth.
I could kill him, Fenring thought- and he knew this for a truth.

quote:

Paul, aware of some of this from the way the time nexus boiled, understood at least why he had never seen Fenring along the webs of prescience. Fenring was one of the might-have-beens, an almost-Kwizats Haderach, crippled by a flaw in the genetic pattern

Then, Fenring refuses to kill him and the Emperor slaps him.

I think this would be really hard to get across on screen but eh, it's cool poo poo.

edit: its also weird you all can't remember him. Maybe you are prescient. They're p important characters, him and Margot (who is in the film?) considering what Fenring could have done.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 29, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

BastardySkull posted:

It's actually three.

You're right. Currently I'm wearing the sash as worst Dune nerd in the thread but you're welcome to pry it from my fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I hope Denis inexplicably borrows the bit from Lynch where Paul just magically makes it rain.