Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Canned Sunshine posted:

Moving my dad to a new place since he doesn’t need the size (or the cost) of the house he and my mom had been renting, and found this fun item (Note: we live in Phoenix)

Makes sense, seems like the kind of guy who would want to save big money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

I thought the new one was based on a stage musical version of the movie. So the singing and dancing would be the reason (although based on the clips I've seen, it's not a very good reason, High School Musical was a made for tv movie almost twenty years ago and has better choreography and stars people that actually look like they could be in high school).

The trailer I watched had zero singing and dancing aside from the Christmas talent show but maybe so

Either way leave it alone it’s a classic

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wife is on short term disability instead of working for 6-12 weeks with long covid poo poo and of course the loving company hired to deal with disability claims for her work is denying based on a clerical error and making her refile everything.

No no, don’t let the person who is sick and needs time to rest and recuperate do that, make them chase their doctor to redo all of the paperwork entirely because one loving field wasn’t filled out.

Wife is too nice for this poo poo. I’d already be wrist deep in an HR managers rear end in a top hat if it was me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
*taps the “No Butt Stuff” placard*

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

No! Butt Stuff?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Love having a local bar within walking distance that has a beer + special once a week. Cheap beer and cheap whiskey or Malort on the way home from work before working more from home...it's good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hot Diggity! posted:

Love having a local bar within walking distance that has a beer + special once a week. Cheap beer and cheap whiskey or Malort on the way home from work before working more from home...it's good.

My wife is out of town and I've tried to find a different dive bar each night to see if I like them.

Sadly, only one is sort of in walking distance...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wife is on short term disability instead of working for 6-12 weeks with long covid poo poo and of course the loving company hired to deal with disability claims for her work is denying based on a clerical error and making her refile everything.

No no, don’t let the person who is sick and needs time to rest and recuperate do that, make them chase their doctor to redo all of the paperwork entirely because one loving field wasn’t filled out.

Wife is too nice for this poo poo. I’d already be wrist deep in an HR managers rear end in a top hat if it was me.

You probably know this, but the primary function of medical insurance companies is to deny claims, for any possible reason or no reason at all. Some percentage are never appealed, so that is a profitable strategy, even though handling appeals is a cost. Generating profit is the reason the insurance company exists, so, denying claims is therefore central to the business model.

And, no, you wouldn't be deep in any HR manager's rear end in a top hat, because this happens 1000 times a day every day at every hospital in the country. Every doctors office, everyone who has to bill a medical insurance company, has to have full-time staff dedicated to filing claims appeals. They have met you and everyone else like you who is furious about it before, they've had to deal with that, they have arms-lengths policies and so on, because of course everyone's loving furious about it. And the reason some field wasn't filled out right is because the insurance companies intentionally make it as confusing and difficult and obtuse as possible to file: it's all tricks, to try to get you to gently caress up.

When you start yelling or getting pissed or especially making any kind of threats, even empty ones, you don't get results: you get stonewalled. The only chance you have of eventually getting your poo poo paid for is by being incredibly kind, patient, and easy to work with with 100% of everyone you talk to, without exception.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

You probably know this, but the primary function of medical insurance companies is to deny claims, for any possible reason or no reason at all. Some percentage are never appealed, so that is a profitable strategy, even though handling appeals is a cost. Generating profit is the reason the insurance company exists, so, denying claims is therefore central to the business model.

And, no, you wouldn't be deep in any HR manager's rear end in a top hat, because this happens 1000 times a day every day at every hospital in the country. Every doctors office, everyone who has to bill a medical insurance company, has to have full-time staff dedicated to filing claims appeals. They have met you and everyone else like you who is furious about it before, they've had to deal with that, they have arms-lengths policies and so on, because of course everyone's loving furious about it. And the reason some field wasn't filled out right is because the insurance companies intentionally make it as confusing and difficult and obtuse as possible to file: it's all tricks, to try to get you to gently caress up.

When you start yelling or getting pissed or especially making any kind of threats, even empty ones, you don't get results: you get stonewalled. The only chance you have of eventually getting your poo poo paid for is by being incredibly kind, patient, and easy to work with with 100% of everyone you talk to, without exception.

You misunderstand. You get wrist deep in the HR managers rear end in a top hat at your company.

You can try being all nice and sunshine and butterflies to the powerful dipshits trying to deny claims, or you can go to the person who manages the program and ask why it would be acceptable for a contracted entity to behave this way.

You are right though, I generally give HR a chance to make things right before I get testy, but I 100% will and have gotten upper levels of management involved in support of not making one of my employees have to deal with this mundane bullshit while they’re otherwise incapacitated, as any responsible people manager should.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Figured this was a good place to ask, sorry if you guys are all on holidays or whatever - Can anyone have a go at translating "Trips right bunch F, shuttle, tom and jerry right yellow, orange orange orange"?

Like I get that it's calling a play, but what do you think is going on there, what kind of actions do those kinds of words specifically turn into? What actions might some alternative words turn into?

Or is it all an impenetrable dark art? I'm a foreigner with only a basic understanding of the game.

It's from 4:57 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkBOfUn1e8

My guess would be that "tom and jerry" might be a certain player, "yellow" could be shallow? It did go to the right and it was a pretty shallow throw. Would the first bit be telling the blockers what to do?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

In political news, SCOTUS granted cert to Donald Trumps quest for presidential immunity—presumably to smack it down and restore a bit of sanity lol jk Trump declared god emperor 6-3 also it only applies to this ruling

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

In political news, SCOTUS granted cert to Donald Trumps quest for presidential immunity—presumably to smack it down and restore a bit of sanity lol jk Trump declared god emperor 6-3 also it only applies to this ruling

Also, arguments won't start until April so chances are a verdict won't come until after the election.

The court could have heard it tomorrow if they wanted to.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Also, arguments won't start until April so chances are a verdict won't come until after the election.

The court could have heard it tomorrow if they wanted to.

In Thank You For Smoking the protagonist dude snarkily answered his kids question about “why America is the greatest country on earth” with “because of our endless system of appeals” and here we are lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

In Thank You For Smoking the protagonist dude snarkily answered his kids question about “why America is the greatest country on earth” with “because of our endless system of appeals” and here we are lol

I need to rewatch that movie. I love its incredibly dry sense of humor so much.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

LeeMajors posted:

The only reason I'm certain they'll rule against him is because there's no actual legal way to make it not apply to past and future dem presidents

Well that and both Edwards and Coney Barrett seem to have at least some respect for the law and care deeply about their legacies. Alito, Thomas, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are all going to make it a best case scenario of 5-4 though

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

LeeMajors posted:

The whole point of this is to delay long enough for the election to occur. Either Trump will win the election, then order his own DOJ to drop all the charges, or he'll lose the election, and die poor and potentially in prison. Nothing will happen before one of those two outcomes occur.

It's kind of the American way to make the entire country Trump's jury pool.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Figured this was a good place to ask, sorry if you guys are all on holidays or whatever - Can anyone have a go at translating "Trips right bunch F, shuttle, tom and jerry right yellow, orange orange orange"?

Like I get that it's calling a play, but what do you think is going on there, what kind of actions do those kinds of words specifically turn into? What actions might some alternative words turn into?

Or is it all an impenetrable dark art? I'm a foreigner with only a basic understanding of the game.

It's from 4:57 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQkBOfUn1e8

My guess would be that "tom and jerry" might be a certain player, "yellow" could be shallow? It did go to the right and it was a pretty shallow throw. Would the first bit be telling the blockers what to do?

There’s another clip somewhere of Andy Reid breaking down the play somewhat after that game, but IIRX:

- “Trips Right Bunch” is the formation.
- “F Shuttle” is the presnap motion, telling Hardman to fake the jet sweep and then go back out.
- “Tom and Jerry Right” is the route combination, telling everyone what to do on the snap.
- “Yellow” I think is the snap count, as I’ve seen/heard that in other Chiefs clips before.
- “Orange” (repeated) is probably their code for the playing being live, that Mahomes wasn’t going to audible based on how the defense was lining up, and they were going to stick with the play as called. Think in a similar manner to how Dak Prescott was constantly going “Here we go!” this season, or how Peyton Manning would often (But not always) use “Omaha”, among other code words (In various seasons, he also used “Brown”, “White”, “Apple”, “Hurry Hurry”, and others).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

E: left this open and didn’t send, but saintonan posted it and I agree that’s the likely scenario. But either way you can’t put much past this court.

Intruder posted:

The only reason I'm certain they'll rule against him is because there's no actual legal way to make it not apply to past and future dem presidents

Well that and both Edwards and Coney Barrett seem to have at least some respect for the law and care deeply about their legacies. Alito, Thomas, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are all going to make it a best case scenario of 5-4 though

In another thread someone said they’ll just delay the ruling until after the election then reject it either way. If he wins he can just have whatever DOJ toady kill every federal case, and if he loses it’s irrelevant.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
That's still preferable to immunity for the executive branch in perpetuity tbh regardless of who's in the white house

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

That's still preferable to immunity for the executive branch in perpetuity tbh regardless of who's in the white house

No doubt but it’s also weaselly as hell.

I guess they’re in a tight spot since every president is a war criminal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

No doubt but it’s also weaselly as hell.

I guess they’re in a tight spot since every president is a war criminal.

Did Harrison have enough time to commit one?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Air Skwirl posted:

Did Harrison have enough time to commit one?

He was before he ever became president

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
James Garfield did nothing wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of Civil War generals, I bet Grant committed war crimes (or at least approved them) but I'm kinda okay with the ones he likely committed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sherman was never president but he is God-Emperor of my heart. Pure goodness.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Buying things at Target is now an unpleasant experience.

Acetaminophen & melatonin is locked up, takes almost 10 minutes to find someone with keys, no self-checkout, 2 cashiers handling 20+ folks. Several stores closed & what's left open have armed guards.

Bonus points overhearing the cashier talking to the person ahead of me saying they're completely getting rid of self-checkout.

All these conditions in Portland because "rampant crime," which is the biggest crock of poo poo sold to the public. Just admit you aren't seeing your profit margins hit expectations & hire more workers, you assholes!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Getting rid of self checkout would be a good thing.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Air Skwirl posted:

Getting rid of self checkout would be a good thing.

What? Self checkout owns.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just finished ep1 of Shogun, great so far but white dudes voice is a bit over the top, but for all I know that’s just how he sounds

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Till you have more stuff that will fit on the little 2x2 square

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like self-checkout because I'm an antisocial goon and 9/10 times I can ring myself out relatively quickly.

The real kicker is the Fred Meyer near me has their self-checkout lanes now be 10 items or fewer.

There seems to be this insistence on making customers go to manned checkout lines. Is it to prevent theft? Maybe! Is the armed security guard that demands to see my receipt as I leave the store make me anxious? You bet!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I mean, it's great if you like paying way less for bulk foods by putting in the wrong item code (which I admit is pretty awesome), but it loving sucks if you're buying a significant amount of items or buying alcohol. We only put up with it because they massively cut back on staff at grocery stores so there's only one cashier. It's supposed to be someone else's job to loving tell me how much I should pay for the items I'm buying. Stop trying to make customer's do the jobs employees are supposed to just because you don't want to hire more employees.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Self check out is the new tipping debate

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

It's supposed to be someone else's job to loving tell me how much I should pay for the items I'm buying. Stop trying to make customer's do the jobs employees are supposed to just because you don't want to hire more employees.

Made me think of Kramers idea for a pizza place

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I hate self checkout unless I have like 1 thing.

I was a cashier at a check out for my first job. Was a good job around school. Easy, taught me some basic job skills and better social skills. Just made my feet sore but the pay and conditions were great

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I only have a few things I use self checkout, anything more than that I go through the cashier lines. I thought that’s just how things worked?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

When you’re definitely not corrupt

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1762831969690255650?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha the Onion is hilarious

….oh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

On a side note, if the immolation of the video game industry fucks up the NCAA and/or the GTA VI release I might become the joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Self checkout is also highly dependent on the system. I refuse to use our local grocery store unless I run in for like a single item or two. Its one of those where you have to scan it, put it in the bag, then wait for it to register the "proper" weight, then it lets you dcan another item. God forbid if you decide to rearrange something or have more groceries than the two bags allotted. That machine will bitch and moan the whole time and then you have to call someone over to be like "it didn't register the weight of the birthday card I bought".