Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, in this way, one simple fix for Season 2 to is to smush both it and Booka together into a single, actual narrative - and then delete a full third of the Booka episodes.

Agree 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

I can't even put into words how massively I'm disappointed in the Book Of Boba.

It was so bad. They did the dream childhood thing and brought back Boba Fett and it's boring and lazy and stupid and the action is capeshit-inspired dross.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
At least it sounds they (accidentally) kept Lucas' original characterization of Fett being a goober who merely looks intimidating?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the consensus I've heard is that you can clearly see the intended plot of Boba being a Yojimbo style antihero tricking his enemies into killing each other, somewhere under the seams from the c-suite descending on it and turning it into Boba beating drugs with the power of friendship, also guest starring Grogu and CG Luke.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

LuCGe

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Despite the criticisms, I was surprised to find on rewatch that Booka Boba isn't any worse than the bulk of Manderlorian episodes. It's mainly just a lateral move. Compared to Obiwan show and Ahsoka show, it's downright not-bad.

There are just many caveats to be forewarned about :

-"The Book Of Boba Fett" is 13 episodes long and actually begins with Manderlorian Chapter 9.
-It is absolutely recommended that you skip Booka Chapter 4. I cant really insist on this enough. It's just incredibly poorly written and kills the story.
-Manderlorian Chapter 12 is also a bullshit filler episode, so you can bring the episode count down to 11 if you so desire.
-The story is, seriously, about Boba trying his best to 'go straight' and not do too many crimes. No twist.
-It's largely a camp comedy, arguably 'Star Wars' at its kitschiest. Rubber-mask monsters and other cheap-looking poo poo are features, not bugs.
-To that end, the conclusion is plainly farcical. Not a serious ending.
-CG Luke is a very unnerving character, beyond just the effects.
-There's a lot of Bo Katan content that exists primarily to set up Season 3.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the consensus I've heard is that you can clearly see the intended plot of Boba being a Yojimbo style antihero tricking his enemies into killing each other

Ignoring the dogshit in Chapter 4, the intimation throughout is that Boba is fully aware that what he's doing is a bad idea. He just doesn't give a care because he's pigheaded-stubborn about being nice now. It's intended as comedy, even if it doesn't land.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 24, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

the dream childhood thing

I think this might be why it's so bad. The reason we have The Mandalorian as a show in the first place is because Jon Favreau wanted to pitch a Boba Fett show, but he'd put the character on such a pedestal in his nostalgia that he figured they'd never let him do it and came up with an OC instead.

Then they actually let him play with the character he wanted to all along, but he was so afraid of his toy getting broken that Fett ended up staying on the shelf the whole time and not doing anything interesting.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

I think this might be why it's so bad. The reason we have The Mandalorian as a show in the first place is because Jon Favreau wanted to pitch a Boba Fett show, but he'd put the character on such a pedestal in his nostalgia that he figured they'd never let him do it and came up with an OC instead.

Then they actually let him play with the character he wanted to all along, but he was so afraid of his toy getting broken that Fett ended up staying on the shelf the whole time and not doing anything interesting.

Honestly, not sure I buy this. Manderlorian may have been conceived as a Boba Fett show at some point, but I absolutely don't see Boba Fett babysitting a toddler Yoda or doing this cult junk. They obviously put a lot of work into making Djarin a distinct character.

At the same time, a show about an wandering amoral bounty hunter - 'with a code' - is exactly the banal poo poo anyone would expect. Making a comedy about Boba Fett as a meathead goon who quits bounty hunting to go into politics (and has trouble acting nice because he doesn't understand social situations) is absolutely the riskier concept.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched Dunc and A New Hope back to back tonight for fun

Dunc's pretty good and I hadn't watched ANH in a while. The edits and bad new effects are pretty jarring but not really a big deal but it occurred to me how little after those first three films everything else Star Wars really looks like it. I guess it's just the effects of the time but nothing else really captures that look and feel.

Also lol I forgot how big of a liar the prequels make Obi-Wan into but that's neither here nor there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Also lol I forgot how big of a liar the prequels make Obi-Wan into but that's neither here nor there

I feel like they do lean into that. Ep II Obi-Wan is played as a trickster and a rogue, almost Errol Flynn vibes to him with the hair and beard, and he gets a lot of the witty one-liners and taunts his enemies. He's a double act contrast to Anakin, who is earnest and takes things seriously, and thus brings a different kind of comedy to the table when he's Obi-Wan's comic relief, puncturing his ego and bringing him down to earth. (so to speak) And it follows on to OT Obi-Wan's sense of humour, I think. "Of course, I know him, he's me!"

Both Obi-Wan and Yoda have trickster vibes to them, as old masters with mysterious pasts who speak in riddles and challenge their pupil's intellect and way of thinking. In retrospect, I think it makes them look like they're specifically testing Luke psychologically, specifically to try to avoid the fatal mistakes they made with Anakin, with the idea that once he knows how to access the power it'll come to him all too naturally- what he needs is the right mindset and thought to use it responsibly, or at least be able to succeed where they failed in defeating Vader and the Emperor. Of course, they're right, but they're probably blindsided by how Luke achieves that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean, those actually were the droids they were looking for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Even ignoring retcons Kenobi lies and tricks his way through ANH. He is hiding out under a fake name, scares the sand people away by imitating a krayt dragon, uses the Jedi mind trick on the stormtroopers, and is the first to suggest alternatives to fighting when the Falcon is captured near the Death Star.

The later movies change the context a bit but they are building on something that was already there.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also he didn't even die to Darth Vader, he just disappeared to blue himself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And he literally has Luke train blindfolded, teaching him to not trust what he sees.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

Dunc's pretty good and I hadn't watched ANH in a while. The edits and bad new effects are pretty jarring but not really a big deal but it occurred to me how little after those first three films everything else Star Wars really looks like it. I guess it's just the effects of the time but nothing else really captures that look and feel.

I watched the first chunk of RotJ the other day. It's true - no Star Wars media since then has really attempted to capture the feel of those movies. Even the ones that lean more into nostalgia don't really try.

Why does R2 never do that little worried noise anymore? It's his best noise!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robot Style posted:

Johnny favs snapped the character in half. He basically took the one interesting thing about him, that he was a villain bounty hunter, and like made him a nice sweet man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The biggest plight of a character is when a writer likes them too much and insists they have a nice time with their friends instead of a story arc.

The greatest offender is Orange Is The New Black, which had its cast of prisoners throw an impromptu lake party.

It’s the same thing with Boba. He can’t be bad! He’s SO COOL. It’s better he get some weird dental veneers and make pals on tatooine.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

... Boba Fett as a meathead goon who quits bounty hunting to go into politics (and has trouble acting nice because he doesn't understand social situations) ...

Now I'm sad all over again because Temuera Morrison would have nailed this. I can see Jake the Muss with bulging eyes and the muscles in his neck straining as he tries to fight his first impulse (punch and/or shoot) whenever someone tries to shake his hand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

well why not posted:

The greatest offender is Orange Is The New Black, which had its cast of prisoners throw an impromptu lake party.

Aww I really liked that part. Especially since it was sort of a last moment of joy before the show started to get darker.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

Now I'm sad all over again because Temuera Morrison would have nailed this. I can see Jake the Muss with bulging eyes and the muscles in his neck straining as he tries to fight his first impulse (punch and/or shoot) whenever someone tries to shake his hand.

Well, the good news is that that is kinda what he’s doing there. But the story of Booka is that Boba Fett emerged from the pit ‘born again’, and returned to the city as an alien weirdo from a non-capitalist society.

The non-capitalist part is crucial. Fett isn’t the galaxy’s dumbest crime boss, as people often complain; he’s the galaxy’s dumbest leftist revolutionary - which is interesting! He goes in and his first act is to take out Tatooine’s de facto police forces, but then he’s stuck thinking in ‘commonsense’ cultural terms: attempting to impose a “Capitalism With Tusken Values.” He’s doing stuff like assassinating people to reduce price-gouging. It’s funny!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

stev posted:

Aww I really liked that part. Especially since it was sort of a last moment of joy before the show started to get darker.

Yeah, thing is about media is that it gets incredibly tiring if it's all dour and miserable all the time; in the real world people do take time out whenever they can to hang out, have fun, and chill out. And it's interesting to have fictional characters do this! It tells things about them, what they're like when they're chilling out and having fun and not being adventure heroes/villains. Avatar The Last Airbender has a beach episode for the antagonists that has key character development and showcases important personality traits that had not gotten to be shown before.

Star Wars even has this, at least to a degree; Chewbacca and R2D2 playing holo chess and Han commenting on it, showing that they spent downtime while in space passing the time and have shared hobbies and recreational activities, which show off different sides of their personalities; R2's intelligence and that he's able to engage with organic beings as equals, Chewbacca's temper and also being more intellectual than he appears.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Honestly, not sure I buy this. Manderlorian may have been conceived as a Boba Fett show at some point, but I absolutely don't see Boba Fett babysitting a toddler Yoda or doing this cult junk. They obviously put a lot of work into making Djarin a distinct character.

Yeah, it wasn't like he already had the plot ready to go and just swapped in a new character - the show we got came about because Favreau suggested doing a show about a new Mandalorian character, and then Kathleen Kennedy got him in touch with Dave Filoni, who was also thinking about how to expand his Mandalorian mythology beyond the cartoons, and they developed it together.

If Favreau had asked to do Fett from the jump, we probably would have gotten something similar to Book of Boba Fett - He mentioned in the Mando S2 art book that when he was initially thinking of what kind of Star Wars show he'd want to make, the idea of Fett emerging from the pit was at the front of his mind. He was also interested in treating Fett as a sort of Iron Man character - this guy who had to figure out how to use technology to help people in a universe where technology is so often at odds with the Force and has a tendency to corrupt people. So plot elements like teaching the Tuskens to ride speeders or teaming up with the cybernetically-enhanced Mods might have had some equivalent in the show as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Mods are such a cool idea executed so incredibly poorly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alternate take: they were a bad idea executed incredibly poorly

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hot take: the mod gang are fine, and the actual bad concept is Thundercat the corporate-hip cybernetics artist (another Chapter 4 blunder).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think if they cast younger actors it might’ve been a bit better. They just seemed like weird 30 year olds playing dress up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I watched Solo for the first time since its original release the other day. Its wild how Palpatine Returns, ObiWan, Booky Bobba all shifted ny perspective of previous works...Solo is still at best a mediocre movie but it has a lot of things going for it that almost work. The other titles have absolutely nothing redeeming, they're just garbage.

Here's to Andor, the last one standing...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's a huge plus that Woody Harrelson is there to carry half the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Solo had a pretty decent cast in general honestly that all deserved a better script

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ammanas posted:

I watched Solo for the first time since its original release the other day. Its wild how Palpatine Returns, ObiWan, Booky Bobba all shifted any perspective of previous works...Solo is still at best a mediocre movie but it has a lot of things going for it that almost work. The other titles have absolutely nothing redeeming, they're just garbage.

Here's to Andor, the last one standing...

It's still very funny to me that the first half of Andor Season 1 is a point-for-point remake of Solo. I imagine Solo 2 would've been about Han doing a prison break and then returning home to rescue his ex from Darth Maul.

But I'd say that Booky Bobba is also vastly more successful at doing 'full-on Star Wars self-parody' - while also featuring a better train heist, better use of the drug-gang villains, and an actual point in satirizing Tusken-Boba's dumbass politics.

The Solo Star Wars Story, regardless of whether it's praised or criticized, is only ever discussed in terms of its adequacy. Like, either it sucks or "eh, it's good enough". There's never any talk of why we should ever even bother to watch this thing - some kind of message or lesson or whatever. It exists to be forgotten.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1762930648082243777
now to wait for Dark Forces II

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

now to wait for Dark Forces II

:pray:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/electronic-arts-is-laying-off-5-off-its-workforce/

quote:

EA Entertainment president Laura Miele has confirmed the cancellation of the Star Wars FPS.

“Respawn‘s unique ability to connect with players and create exceptional game experiences is unrivaled in entertainment,” she said in a statement. “As we’ve looked at Respawn’s portfolio over the last few months, what’s clear is the games our players are most excited about are Jedi and Respawn’s rich library of owned brands.

“Knowing this, we have decided to pivot away from early development on a Star Wars FPS Action game to focus our efforts on new projects based on our owned brands while providing support for existing games.

“It’s always hard to walk away from a project, and this decision is not a reflection of the team’s talent, tenacity, or passion they have for the game. Giving fans the next installments of the iconic franchises they want is the definition of blockbuster storytelling and the right place to focus.”

:argh:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lucasfilm's projects have actually been using a Lottery system for several years now to determine which projects actually get released.

And by that I mean every year a bunch of executives are allowed to stone one creative team to death in order to ensure a bountiful harvest.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Solo : A Star Wars Movie is the only live-action Star Wars thing that I genuinely hate. Usually, with Disney, there's just this sense of dismay. But everything about Solo is an insult. Like, even the title card is aggressively poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of the biggest sins of Solo was that it looked so drab and washed out. Like they intentionally chose a 70's color palette.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Are you loving kidding me? I was really looking forward to Respawn presents Dark Forces 5: The Mandalorian, as early in development it was. Blaming titanfall fans for this one. After the deplorable executives at EA that is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gonz posted:

One of the biggest sins of Solo was that it looked so drab and washed out. Like they intentionally chose a 70's color palette.

They did.

Bradford Young, cinematographer posted:

BY: Chris and Phil’s main visual reference was McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971, dir. Robert Altman), shot by Vilmos Zsigmond ASC. The tonality in the narrative and Vilmos’ cinematography really brought me in. I feel my cinematography is about being naturalistic, with a subdued imprint in the way the camera technology and lighting are used. Vilmos’ flashing of the film 35mm negative and lighting on that film exemplify that approach.

We also referenced a number of Woody Allen movies that were shot by Gordon Willis ASC, such as Interiors (1978) and Stardust Memories (1980). I have always been interested in the bridge between dark comedy and dark photography, and always really loved the interesting harmony between the counter-intuitive nature of Gordon’s cinematography and the comedy genre. I thought maybe there was some room for that in Solo: A Star Wars Story. And that really spoke to me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Here's a BTS clip where he talks about his lighting decisions, and it actually kind of makes sense for a Star Wars movie.

George Lucas was primarily an editor as a student filmmaker, but he also did a lot of documentary work, and carried that over into his features. THX-1138 wasn't just a movie about the future, it was a movie from the future. Star Wars wasn't a movie about another society, it was a movie from there. In order to ground it in realism, he went for a sort of pseudo-documentary style, where he just kind of let scenes play out without making the camera or lighting major storytelling devices - the intent was that the audience would be subconsciously guided into perceiving this weird sci-fi world as something real that they were just peeking into for a couple of hours.

So it absolutely makes sense to make Solo feel as naturalistic as possible if it's going to try to exist in the same world as the original Star Wars movie, and that includes having lighting that doesn't look like Movie Lighting and feels like they just set a camera up somewhere.

Of course, the "Star Wars is a documentary" idea wasn't needed after the audience had bought in to the world and they could take different stylistic approaches on later movies, but I can understand the thought process for why someone would approach the movie the way they did.