Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

I'll chime in as an AEW fan who used to watch NJPW but fell off hard during the pandemic. It's this:

Especially when Yuj/Yano is the next match in the bracket below them. I don't remember where I saw it (MOTYC thread?) but whoever said Gedo relies too heavily on "they're young, they can get over later" and constantly beats any guys with potential where they lose any credibility was spot on. It's a big part of why I fell off hard - especially when all the guys I liked left / got old.

That was me. I think it was the AEW hellthread, actually. I was saying Tony Khan has a tendency to do the same, mostly thinking of guys like Lee Moriarty, the Martins and until very recently, Danny Garcia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
jack perry has like no charisma as a singles act and is doing a very try hard gimmick at the moment tied into the cm punk drama and some people want to move on. its very cringe.

also david finlay is winning the new japan cup

edit: i dont know if i missed it but it sounds like Minoru Suzuki is done in New Japan

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Watched a bunch of matches from New Beginning:

Tana vs Matt Riddle
This sucked, none of Riddle's offense looked in place in a NJPW ring, his chops look and sound extremely rear end. Also does he really do that "I kick my slippers off upon landing into the ring" thing all the time? Disgusting.

David Finlay vs Nic Nemeth
I actually liked this one a bit? The superkick to Gedo spot was awesome (along with the stealth shillelagh pass). But it ran a bit too long and it felt like the match was unnecessarily padded (story of post-2018 Bushiroad NJPW matches really). Nic actually seems motivated though the knee selling felt a bit fake. I'm pretty higher on Finlay than the rest of the forum but he did look like a guy who was dropping the title lol

Hiromu Takahashi vs DOUKI
This ruled. The crowd went from backing Hiromu to being fully behind DOUKI in real time. Really well-earned. I adored the lucha-based counters, while they weren't super clean they kinda sold me on the story of DOUKI pulling out all the stops to beat the best junior heavyweight in the world. Him finally landing the Suplex de la Luna was magnificent.

Mayu Iwatani vs Mina Shirakawa
yooooooo wtf I really need to get into STARDOM. Instant fan of Mayu, wrestlers going into a trance-like state and going full murder mode is one of my personal favorite bits in wrestling.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

My only opinion of Jack Perry is that using the IWGP title match on Forb to advance a third tier AEW storyline loving sucked

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

David Finlay makes it to a Quarter Final and EVIL makes it to the Semi finals because I'm assuming New Japan will do so to spite me, personally.

David Finlay will beat EVIL in the finals or vice versa because NJPW hates not just you, not just me, but all of us on a deep personal level

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Nic Nemeth's biggest issue is he'd been in the fed for far too loving long past the point that anyone either in the audience or behind the scenes gave a poo poo.

Like, he's never been bad in the ring, albeit very blatant about who he's cribbed from, but after the 25th time in WWE he cut the nearly-crying "I'm gonna put it all on the line ONE. MORE. TIME!" promo who on earth could care about him. (I pointedly remember him doing about 4 of these in a feud with the Miz about 5 years ago, leading to a 'he wins or gets fired' stip and everyone in PSP wanted him to lose. He was the babyface)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

despite everything telling me to stop caring about this dumb rear end company, im doing a catch up and i gotta say this callum newman guy seems pretty good for his experience. #Newman

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just wondering, I know New Japan is in a state of change, but why are most if not all of you saying, "I wish New Japan would push (Insert Gaijin here)!" It's making it sound like you just want classic All Japan but without the Four Pillars!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, Nic Nemeth's biggest issue is he'd been in the fed for far too loving long past the point that anyone either in the audience or behind the scenes gave a poo poo.

Like, he's never been bad in the ring, albeit very blatant about who he's cribbed from, but after the 25th time in WWE he cut the nearly-crying "I'm gonna put it all on the line ONE. MORE. TIME!" promo who on earth could care about him. (I pointedly remember him doing about 4 of these in a feud with the Miz about 5 years ago, leading to a 'he wins or gets fired' stip and everyone in PSP wanted him to lose. He was the babyface)

this is pretty much where I'm at, the guy's clearly talented but is ten years past his prime both in terms of wrestling ability and character freshness

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The man called M posted:

Just wondering, I know New Japan is in a state of change, but why are most if not all of you saying, "I wish New Japan would push (Insert Gaijin here)!" It's making it sound like you just want classic All Japan but without the Four Pillars!

:confused: I think pretty much everyone's been saying 'they should push Shota/Tsuji/Uemura'?

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Gaz-L posted:

:confused: I think pretty much everyone's been saying 'they should push Shota/Tsuji/Uemura'?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They should push Shota/Tsuji and Uemura, absolutely!

Also Dave Meltzer just reported that Tama Tonga has decided to go to prison for a few years.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Njpw should sign this amigo fellow

https://twitter.com/1UpCulture/status/1762468029722661281?t=2kL9TTlLdzhD97vTCQqnhQ&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

They should push Shota/Tsuji and Uemura, absolutely!

Also Dave Meltzer just reported that Tama Tonga has decided to go to prison for a few years.

Good for him. Now I don't have to see him for a while. And he'll get to spend more time with his family. Works for everyone.

New Japan is in this weird place with me right now where I like lots of the wrestlers but just have no faith in the booking. Well, I say weird. It feels frustratingly normal, it's the NOAH bit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gaz-L posted:

I think they should push them but also I think people here underestimate how successful Naito is and that those guys developing another year or two with him on top is okay.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I dunno, he looks like a pretty desperate dude.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Good for him. Now I don't have to see him for a while. And he'll get to spend more time with his family. Works for everyone.

New Japan is in this weird place with me right now where I like lots of the wrestlers but just have no faith in the booking. Well, I say weird. It feels frustratingly normal, it's the NOAH bit.

To be somewhat fair to New Japan the guys they have beating Tsuji/Shota/Uemura are under 40 unlike NOAH. It's just you know House of Torture!

Rick posted:

I think they should push them but also I think people here underestimate how successful Naito is and that those guys developing another year or two with him on top is okay.

Yeah they're in a weird spot in that even if Okada wasn't leaving this feels like it should be a long reign for Naito and they really can't push it down the road given how banged up Naito is. But they 100% also need to get the young guys up to main event levels

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah I don't quite get the take the title off naito asap discourse from the English speaking fanbase. I appreciate his eyeball/knee/straw hair isn't long for this world but they absolutely need him on top.

The guy can still go (although he's obviously not as good as he was) and is still the most popular wrestler in the country. Not that they can't start pushing the young guys but Naito holding for the year is probably sensible. Njpw has actually had a strong start to the year at the box office

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I am thoroughly uninterested in Naito on top, but with Okada gone he's indisputably NJPW's #1 draw. Milk it at least until Dominion, probably could go all the way to WK with it.

I might lose interest by then but hey, that's a me problem

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Yeah I don't quite get the take the title off naito asap discourse from the English speaking fanbase. I appreciate his eyeball/knee/straw hair isn't long for this world but they absolutely need him on top.

The guy can still go (although he's obviously not as good as he was) and is still the most popular wrestler in the country. Not that they can't start pushing the young guys but Naito holding for the year is probably sensible. Njpw has actually had a strong start to the year at the box office

No one's saying Shota absolutely needs to win the world title but they need to plant a flag soon to show that Naito isn't the basket holding literally every egg.

It'd be a big swing, and leaving it on Naito is absolutely safer, but putting it on Mox and then having him pass the torch to Shota would be bold and could cement a new top star who isn't falling apart.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 28, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

...why would you not want Umino getting the rub of beating the top dude in the company, but instead to have him go over a part-timer?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao every idea a western fan has is put the belt on my fave non-japanese wrestler

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

...why would you not want Umino getting the rub of beating the top dude in the company, but instead to have him go over a part-timer?

3 reasons: 1 - You can save Naito/Shota for a main event, maybe in Osaka, next year.
2 - In my idea both title changes would be in the US, and Mox is just a bigger star there than Naito.
3 - There's the storyline aspect of Shota beating his mentor to finally come into his own as The Guy.

fez_machine posted:

lmao every idea a western fan has is put the belt on my fave non-japanese wrestler

I didn't say to put the belt on Orange Cassidy or Eddie Kingston, but it would be rad.

(Also my idea was to use the non-Japanese wrestler as a belt pillow to put over the young Japanese guy)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

its shin nihon bro not shin chicago

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If Mox is willing to commit to touring I'm not completely opposed to it

But I disagree with Shota winning the iwgp title for the first time on Monday mid morning japan time when the vast majority of the fanbase is at work. Surely his first win should be in Japan

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

all the lovely fantasy booking ideas could be solid gold that belt is going on EVIL again

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thankfully EVIL is stuck in NEVER belt land now so I doubt he gets a shot till late spring or fall

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

whats the consensus on fat boy walker? seems like he's improving pretty quickly with the nerd guiding him along

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

fez_machine posted:

I mean Gedo's gonna put it on his new pet project THE REBEL DAVID FINLAY so why shouldnt it go on an actually better non japanese wrestler even if he is part time.

like 8 of the 13 titles are on non japanese talent and of the tag teams all of them are non japanese besides kenta who is teaming with chase loving owens

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 28, 2024

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

yea ok posted:

whats the consensus on fat boy walker? seems like he's improving pretty quickly with the nerd guiding him along

He has an odd way of speaking sometimes. I still chuckle at "aswang most loyal of the Filipino cryptids"

But I agree he's improving. I think he's quite solid on solo calls.

That said I really didn't like Kevin Kelly for most of the post pandemic era so I'm probably being overly generous. Walker has a nice voice so at worst it's just white noise. Where Kelly actually wound me up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Walker is growing on me pretty quickly, he seems to gel pretty well with Charlton which is a big help.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Matt Riddle just going on Ariel Helwani's show to admit to failing multiple drug tests in WWE. For cocaine.

Smart choice for a champion Gedo.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

forkboy84 posted:

Matt Riddle just going on Ariel Helwani's show to admit to failing multiple drug tests in WWE.

duh

quote:

For cocaine.

oh

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

drat this gabe kidd/henare match from 2/4 was great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

Yeah, incredible violence.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Gotta admit, never saw Matt Riddle: cocaine user coming.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

yea ok posted:

It owned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Gotta admit, never saw Matt Riddle: cocaine user coming.

To be fair, it might have been a mistake, it's very easy to mix up cocaine with entirely harmless products.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the new play by play guy for njpw sounds very fake and radio voice not an interesting sports play by play voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

yea ok posted:

He is kind of just there for me, I don't love or hate him. He pretty wisely just shuts up and lets Chris talk when it's time for the announcer to help make the story.