Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

an actual frog posted:

lmao at that entire article but especially this bit
drat sometimes it sucks that my friends are already doompilled because I wanna crack some pings with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

an actual frog posted:

lmao at that entire article but especially this bit

Net zero!!!!!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
why is everything on fire?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

why is everything on fire?

it’s Green

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

For the dumbasses like me that saw the numbers and was thinking "29°, why does that matter?"

Oh yeah, its winter... 29°C is 85° in freedom temps....

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's mexico. p sure it's always hot. and yellow.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
its okay its 24f today, its fine that it was 70f yesterday

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
anywhere we've got a record high and low set same day?

cus thats gonna happen somewhere

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i think the big fluxuations are nice because people prefer different temperatures. a little something for everyone.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Equitable Climate Change(tm)

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Good news everyone!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
In a million years there will be new microbes that incorporate plastic as part of their cellular structure

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Is this effectively flocculation, or something more?

Wonder if small beer would have a similar effect (assuming you brewed it in something that doesn’t itself shed plastic particles)

Edit: it’s apparently ‘coprecipitation’

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Feb 29, 2024

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

its okay its 24f today, its fine that it was 70f yesterday

that's a cold front

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

For the dumbasses like me that saw the numbers and was thinking "29°, why does that matter?"

sure sounds like we’re in Aguacalientes!!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRkYmxFrD8

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TeenageArchipelago posted:

UK power station burning Canadian lumber? and that's Green energy? how the gently caress does that lumber get to the UK?

Crack teams of log drivers waltz it across

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

oooh, vox found the chart

https://www.vox.com/climate/2024/2/28/24085691/atlantic-ocean-warming-climate-change-hurricanes-coral-reefs-bleaching

quote:

This chart of ocean temperatures should really scare you

The Atlantic Ocean is unusually warm right now. Here’s why scientists say that’s “deeply troubling.”

what they miss is that, while the atlantic is warm, the southern ocean is even warmer. It loving owns.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Those are temperature anomalies not raw temperatures. Also they are in Fahrenheit not Celsius.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ya starting to feel like things are gonna spiral out of control in a few years if that ocean heat keeps doing that

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it might just stop. and get cold again. and stay that way.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

You never know.

Also according to this video climate scientists only think that half of the methane spike is related to the fracking boom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCt2MhOzWVE

It also has a fun new phrase: Ice Age Termination Event. Looking forward to hitting the people who stumble in here with "Google ice age termination event"

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Feb 29, 2024

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
Ice age termination event should have been what the called the day after tomorrow

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Crack teams of log drivers waltz it across

The log driver's waltz pleases girls completely!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
simply must have my daily log *sips tea brewed in plastic, heated with pelletized old growth*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OIL PANIC posted:

flocculation

My favourite kink

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ice Age Termination Event is the one where a time machine mixup has Arnie hunting Scrat across the snowy tundra, and it’s up to our pals Manny, Sid, and Diego to stop him and save the future…

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Burning all these fossil fuels really got us into some hot water

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
microplastics are over once the oceans are boiling

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

swamp thong posted:

microplastics are over once the oceans are boiling

all the microplastics will coprecipitate for one big party

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Social atomization is literally in the air now

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/02/240228115310.htm

quote:

High levels of air pollution can harm performance of teams, which are vital for solving complex problems such as developing clean energy technologies and vaccines, and this could harm economic development in highly polluted emerging economies, says a new study co-authored at Cambridge Judge Business School.

quote:

The study used data from 15,000 live escape-room games in London. It estimated based on the data and the study's equations that for about 3,500 teams that participated for team-building exercises (usually from a corporate background) that on high-pollution days the escape teams could take up to 5% longer to solve a sequence of non-routine analytical tasks of the collaborative type seen in a modern workplace.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the constantly interjecting the bit about emperor penguins is so funny. like listen we know your pea brain doesn’t care about the ocean rising or natural disasters unfurling but these penguins. think of the penguins. soon those penguins will only exist in children’s cartoons like the Tasmanian devil or the law passed by Congress.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It also has a fun new phrase: Ice Age Termination Event. Looking forward to hitting the people who stumble in here with "Google ice age termination event"

quote:

Large amounts of methane wafting from tropical wetlands into Earth's atmosphere could trigger warming similar to the "termination" events that ended ice ages, replacing frosty expanses of tundra with tropical savanna, a new study finds. Researchers first detected a strange peak in methane emissions in 2006, but until now, it was unclear where the gas was leaking from and if it constituted a novel trend.

Seems bad for control decks but good for Maverick which needs a shot in the arm anyway; Bant decks will have to gently caress with their mana a bit but will be fine, probably ditto Esper.

I think the upshot of an ice age termination event would be:
* no one plays Necropotence anymore in EDH/Timeless
* UWx control generally gets worse and midrange bant gets better
* Midrange selesnya decks that can benefit from more savannah get better
* Elves considers becoming a GWB deck again

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/02/28/microplastics-drinking-water/

quote:

A simple way to get microplastics out of your water
New research found that boiling drinking water can remove up to nearly 90 percent of microplastics

lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

boiling and then filtering, and it's more of a "might"

love headlines that exist to just make sure the reader thinks "oh great, an easy solution"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

boiling and then filtering, and it's more of a "might"

love headlines that exist to just make sure the reader thinks "oh great, an easy solution"

I mean I'll just boil it in my electric kettle, it's got some plastic bits and bobs on it but I bet that's fine. Nice and simple, seems pretty easy to me

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

The world’s largest ocean carbon dioxide removal facility is being built in Singapore! We’re going to be ok.

https://time.com/6836259/singapore-equatic-ocean-carbon-dioxide-removal-facility-largest/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Seems bad for control decks but good for Maverick which needs a shot in the arm anyway; Bant decks will have to gently caress with their mana a bit but will be fine, probably ditto Esper.

I think the upshot of an ice age termination event would be:
* no one plays Necropotence anymore in EDH/Timeless
* UWx control generally gets worse and midrange bant gets better
* Midrange selesnya decks that can benefit from more savannah get better
* Elves considers becoming a GWB deck again

*inhales deeply*

nnnnnnNNNNNEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRDDD

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the world's largest hamburger will end world hunger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Twigand Berries posted:

The world’s largest ocean carbon dioxide removal facility is being built in Singapore! We’re going to be ok.

https://time.com/6836259/singapore-equatic-ocean-carbon-dioxide-removal-facility-largest/

quote:

And it’s meant to be just the beginning of an even bigger expansion. “Once this facility has successfully fulfilled its technical demonstration objectives, Equatic will scale and commercialize the technology globally,” said the UCLA press release, which also noted that Equatic-1, when functioning at full capacity, will be able to remove the equivalent of 850 people’s annual carbon dioxide emission.
Great! We only need a couple million of these plants then!