Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh gods...a cursed thought.
Billy Quizboy x Nikki Fictel (Dermott's sister/mother). They can bond over being Rusty Venture fanatics and Billy can maybe win her over if she assumes his eyepatch and his robot hand was part of his own life as a badass boy adventurer.
...Just the most cursed happy ending you'll ever see.

Okay but I also got the feeling that Quizboy was also a Venture, which makes this far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Even if he is there's no relation between the two*. Besides, Jonas could well be the Ghengis Khan of North America in the VB universe with how much he got around.
I just wish for a happy ending for Billy. He lost the genetic lottery about as hard as anybody who has seen the age of 37 can.

Also; I never recall seeing any evidence that Dean is cut out for super science. Unlike Hank who has shown a core of hyper-competence covered in lairs of ADHD and naivete.

*Wait, was it ever pointed out that Jonas might carry the dwarfism gene bewteen Billy and Jonas Jr?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 16, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I thought JJ was messed up because Rusty absorbed/"ate" him in utero, and then it was probably just a series of clonings and Rusty's adolescent and adult drug habits that finished the job and left him malformed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChrisBTY posted:

Also; I never recall seeing any evidence that Dean is cut out for super science. Unlike Hank who has shown a core of hyper-competence covered in lairs of ADHD and naivete.
Rusty thinks he'd be a good super scientist. Dean himself has basically zero functional education so he doesn't even know enough to know whether or not he would be (although I do feel like I had the vague impression he was doing well in his college classes? like working hard and getting good grades? that plus his life experiences living in the compound would probably be enough to at least be top half, honestly)

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rusty thinks he'd be a good super scientist. Dean himself has basically zero functional education so he doesn't even know enough to know whether or not he would be (although I do feel like I had the vague impression he was doing well in his college classes? like working hard and getting good grades? that plus his life experiences living in the compound would probably be enough to at least be top half, honestly)

Dean does still have a couple nanobots inside his head at the end of Faking Miracles where he has Brock help him with his college entry exams.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Is there anything in the show to support the idea that Billy is a Venture, other than his mom being in Team Venture’s orbit?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://twitter.com/casualcaila/status/1758232652472103406

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I mentioned that because I came to the conclusion that after season 3-4 Hank has all the highlights and Dean just didn't do much. I feared it's because Dean simply became...kinda useless. But I realize that if he's useless it's because unlike Hank, he's not cut out for this world and simply craves normality. A season 8 would be weird because the cast would be scattered. Doc would be back in Colorado, Dean would be in New York. Hank wouldn't belong anywhere and since there would be no need for OSI to directly oversee Doc's security because he's more or less broke again who knows what Brock would do. Malcolm suddenly finds himself in a position where the guild won't interfere with his arching of venture but the OSI might have something to say about an EMA 10 villain arching a considerably diminished Doc. They established an amazing supporting cast in New York that would mostly be sidelined.

Another realization: we've spoken of the cycle of abuse from Jonas to Doc and Doc to the boys but the sort of abuse is somewhat inverted. Jonas outwardly treated Rusty with admiration and affection and I believe Jonas loved Rusty as much as a sociopathic narcissist is capable of loving anybody but themselves (a low bar). But he treated Rusty like crap, probably not understanding that he was doing anything wrong and pushing against any insistence to the contrary. Outwardly Doc is distant, self-absorbed and an rear end in a top hat to the boys (especially Hank). But when his mask of self-absorbed behavior slips you realizes he loves the boys a lot but A: doesn't know how to love because he has no frame of reference and B: has created a level of cognitive dissonance to cope with the fact that he's gotten them killed over a dozen times.

Going back to Dean for a second. He messed up by screwing his brother's girlfriend. Nobody knows that more than Dean. But man, Dean was seriously deprived of any kind of human connection so it's no wonder he did it. At least Hank had a non-toxic father figure in Brock, a friend in Dermott (as much as I dislike the fucker he was a good friend/brother to Hank) and he had already lost his virginity (even if he didn't remember it). Dean was so starved for affection he resorted to Myra. The only other person he bonded with on any level was Triana, which was always a weird relationship and one that ended very poorly. I mean for gods' sake Dean was getting isolated on a cosmic level with The Master telling Triana to ditch the scene. An ancient font of magical knowledge told Triana 'gently caress that genetically warped dork'. Dean may have been his father's favorite but that didn't do him many favors because again, Doc doesn't know how to love.

I wonder what drove Myra over the edge. Did she just realize Doc didn't love her the way she loved him. Did she realize she was being used? It's really a tragedy when you think about it. If Myra had gone completely insane she could have been a mother figure the boys desperately needed.

One more thing: I just watched the end of Dr. Quymn. For years I thought Dean ruined the closest thing Doc could have had to a healthy relationship* (he certainly didn't help) but seeing it I realize it was Ginny who was really responsible. Buuut hearing Ginny's ranting in that scene she said something about 'putting a seed in her belly and abandoning her again'. Now Ginny had an unhealthy romantic attachment to Dr. Quymn and she might not have been talking about Doc specifically, but if she was...wow screw Rusty. He doesn't deserve that.

*ignoring the potential of a blood relationship between the two.

There is just so much to unravel in this show.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 17, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oddly enough I think Rusty is in a pretty good spot at the end of the movie; the compound's been cleared out of poo poo he'd pretty much forgotten about and wasn't using anyway, and it looks like Dermott has been saving enough interesting stuff from it to provide a season or two's worth of plot devices. He's back in familiar territory with Jonas Jr's building, outside the crowded arching market that is NYC.

The Monarch also now has a golden ticket to arch Venture and I imagine, much like before, he's entirely fine with pulling his punches to meet Venture at his current level; like the whole theme is that if anything he was slumming it arching Team Venture with his previous level of resources, and he was (in a sense) perfectly happy with that. I do get the idea mind that with all the reveals about their relationship Rusty's probably going to take him even less seriously than before and they'll basically end up being, heh, Venture brothers.

Geographical distance oddly enough has never really been a problem for this show, given one thing Rusty's consistently had access to is the hypersonic jet for globetrotting adventures. Though lol if history repeats and Dean ends up a dropout as well. Could go either way given the implications that while he's not dumb, he paid more attention to an education that was still mostly useless at the best of times and did not at all prepare him for the real world.

And I think that about sums it up; like the 'Aren't you ashamed of your ignorance?' line; the boys are treated as if they're oblivious about their ignorance and idiocy, but they really aren't. There's been bits from the start where they're very aware that their lives are abnormal and limited, and them wanting to do things like go to normal school and interact with people their own age isn't a new thing for either of them. I always found it funny that Sirena ended up hooking up with both boys; it's not that surprising that if she finds things to like in one she probably likes the other, since they still have a lot in common, and I get the feeling Dean's genuine sensitivity was a refreshing change for her at the time. Yeah, dumb horny young people making dumb decisions but considering their role models...

On that note, Rusty's relationships with women are deliberately about as gross as you can get, and that's kinda the point. We're probably best off not knowing the details of what he got into with Myra, but we do know he's a very good enabler of very bad habits, and probably trying to get her to be a substitute mother slash free babysitter for the boys as well as a bodyguard with benefits backfired badly. Brock does well in his quasi-parental role, eventually, because he's willing to go along with Rusty's shenanigans as long as he gets to fight and gently caress and the OSI pays him, but he's also capable of drawing boundaries and being professional. While Quiym, blood relationship or not, is basically Rusty's female counterpart, and the whole point there is that she's about as hosed up as Rusty is, and that her girls have even more immature and unhealthy ideas about the opposite sex. (The whole thing being girls actually acting like a teenage boy's pubescent fantasy is pretty hosed up with the slightest thought!)

Common theme probably with it being just as well Rusty rejected Quiym as Triana had to let down Dean; as lonely and starved for affection they are, what would at best be a co-dependent relationship with women who already have their own issues also having to act as their substitute mother and therapist would never be anything but a disaster that would at best continue the cycle.

DNA Cowboys posted:

Fans hate nothing more than other fans.

This is also the entire point of Billy and Pete's ridiculous LARP arching by St Cloud. It's just nerd fights taken outside the internet but with just enough money to look extra ridiculous.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 17, 2024

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

Malcolm suddenly finds himself in a position where the guild won't interfere with his arching of venture but the OSI might have something to say about an EMA 10 villain arching a considerably diminished Doc. They established an amazing supporting cast in New York that would mostly be sidelined.
God dammit.

Now I want to watch the season where Monarch has to be Rusty's friend and build him back up into a sufficiently-leveled protagonist so that he can arch him again, but they wind up liking each other and that's why time-traveling Doc is on a first-name basis with him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always found it funny that Sirena ended up hooking up with both boys; it's not that surprising that if she finds things to like in one she probably likes the other, since they still have a lot in common, and I get the feeling Dean's genuine sensitivity was a refreshing change for her at the time. Yeah, dumb horny young people making dumb decisions but considering their role models...

Well, that, and Dean was Hank's identical twin who doesn't have a panic attack before hitting second base.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, that, and Dean was Hank's identical twin who doesn't have a panic attack before hitting second base.

Dean's come a long way. That said a semi normal woman who respects his boundaries probably helps.

Heh, a theme of the movie is basically the boys learning they're silly and cringe and that's okay, they have people who care about them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LividLiquid posted:

God dammit.

Now I want to watch the season where Monarch has to be Rusty's friend and build him back up into a sufficiently-leveled protagonist so that he can arch him again, but they wind up liking each other and that's why time-traveling Doc is on a first-name basis with him.

Alternately: An episode where Dean comes home from college on vacation and The Monarch can't arch Rusty while he's there without violating the conditions of the bribe he took to 'leave Dean alone'. So he keeps trying to stealthfully lure Dean away or otherwise separate them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I bet the guild doesn't take kindly to not following a bribe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

gently caress we need more of this show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
My personal VB ending fantasy involved Dean in a pretty fun way. Basically, he achieves a level of scientific proficiency that his dad never had, and nobody seems to notice. Then, Monarch arches the family one too many times, and even though the damage done is extremely minor in terms of collateral damage, it annoys him for the last time. Maybe he's about to get laid, although that's taken care of now. Maybe it ruins his graduation ceremony or some other thing that only kind-of matters a little bit. In any event, the last scene is right after the episode's reset button has been pressed, and Monarch is enjoying time with his wife on the cocoon or whatever. Then alarms blare, poo poo starts going haywire, the cocoon rumbles and shakes, and from the outside, we see everyone abandoning the cocoon as little explosions are seen from various parts of the exterior. Monarch escapes, looks up, screams about how he'll get Venture, and we smash cut to the credits.

The stinger: a hand presses a button with a "0" on it. The light on the "1" button goes off. We see the label: OO-RAY Mk II. Above it is a sticker with a silhouette of the second version of the oo-ray. Pull back, and we see that Dean has defeated the Monarch on his very first attempt.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think Hank would end up arching Dean, if for no other reason then he missed him and this was the best way to spend time with him again. And both sides would have to try to convince the boys that there is an antagonistic component to arching and you can't just hang around arguing about who would win in a hypothetical fight.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think whatever happens, Hank's going to be fine because he doesn't have the capacity to realize when he isn't, and Dean's doomed because he's the opposite.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the guild will be just fine letting the Monarch continue to arc Rusty. Partly because Sheila will be on site but mostly because I imagine that while just as intense, future attempts will still be as intense but not as violent as the information about their shared origins should be enough to temper the really dangerous stuff.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Monarch hatches the perfect plan for killing Rusty but Sheila or 21 foil him from the shadows because they both know without Rusty to arch Monarch would be nothing but a broken man.
Stinger. He learns of their treachery but lets it go because he knows it too.

Unrelated: Having checked with the end of Dr Quymn again it turns out Rusty is not the person who knocked up Tara and bailed. That happened when she was a teen and Rusty hadn't seen her since he was 10. Ginny was just freaking out.
Actually that opens up more questions. (If her twins came from that they'd be in their 20s)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 18, 2024

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Don't think too hard about the series' timeline. It's a mess on account of the show being made over the course of twenty years with new story being backfilled every season. Pay no attention to dates on tombstones. What's more important is what events happened in relation to each other. Brilliant bit of writing to explain how they went from home lines to smartphones in only two in-setting years with JJ, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember way back during Dean's emo phase there was a lot of speculation of Dean on the path to becoming a villain and ending up arching Hank. He has shown a bit of talent for super-science with rebuilding Helper to initial schematics, though Rusty thinks robotics is a dead end in his usual stellar display of priorities. (Actually the mass market Helper disaster probably was an influence there)

It's easy to picture Dean one way or another being 'Well if I can't get out of this mess then I'll make it everyone's problem!'

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I think Hank would end up arching Dean, if for no other reason then he missed him and this was the best way to spend time with him again. And both sides would have to try to convince the boys that there is an antagonistic component to arching and you can't just hang around arguing about who would win in a hypothetical fight.

That said it would also definitely end up like this at least half the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ironslave posted:

Don't think too hard about the series' timeline. It's a mess on account of the show being made over the course of twenty years with new story being backfilled every season. Pay no attention to dates on tombstones. What's more important is what events happened in relation to each other. Brilliant bit of writing to explain how they went from home lines to smartphones in only two in-setting years with JJ, though.

The crazy part is that the actual dates don't really work because of how long it took to make the show, but the relation between things in the timeline all makes sense because they would watch the entire series before writing each season to find things to write about and could fit it into the timeline because it was all fresh in their mind.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ironslave posted:

In this case it's a matter of assuming that Tara had her girls as a teen and Rusty didn't have the boys until his 20s.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember way back during Dean's emo phase there was a lot of speculation of Dean on the path to becoming a villain and ending up arching Hank. He has shown a bit of talent for super-science with rebuilding Helper to initial schematics, though Rusty thinks robotics is a dead end in his usual stellar display of priorities. (Actually the mass market Helper disaster probably was an influence there)

It's easy to picture Dean one way or another being 'Well if I can't get out of this mess then I'll make it everyone's problem!'

That said it would also definitely end up like this at least half the time.

Rusty is just the worst businessman.
Idea pitch for sales convention:
Silent Washing Machine: No.
Mind Control Gas: Yes, this is clearly something we can and should mass produce and will absolutely be allowed to sell to consumers.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 18, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
To be fair, Rusty is just horrible enough to drug a cadre of "escorts" with untested Spanish Fly so he might be just broken enough to think Mind Control Gas could be a big commercial hit.

"We'll sell vials of the stuff next to the herbal Viagra in gas stations! Remember, it's not illegal until the FDA bans it!"

"Seriously, Billy...stop being such a prude. People get hypnotized to stop drinking, smoking, and whoring...the difference is, our stuff actually works!"

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Last week I discovered that not only there was a fifth season of Venture Bros, but a sixth and seventh! I blitzed through them and am really excited to watch the finale film this evening. What a great cartoon!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

God Gas could probably catch on recreationally. But definitely another case of Rusty being excellent at villain-coded science and not really realising it.

Ed: Gary's feed

https://x.com/_kikimari_/status/1762488780768805077?s=20

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 28, 2024

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

New (?) interview with Doc and Jackson:

https://sites.google.com/site/swimpediaiscoming/interviews-reviews/interview-with-the-venture-bros-creators-jackson-publick-and-doc-hammer

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Chatrapati posted:

Last week I discovered that not only there was a fifth season of Venture Bros, but a sixth and seventh! I blitzed through them and am really excited to watch the finale film this evening. What a great cartoon!

I'm extremely jealous of you. Savor it.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
A fun, new interview with Doc and Jackson at Swimpedia.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
good interview, read it Venturoos.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Interviewer: "So can you explain [thing]"

Jackson: "Sure"
Doc: "Maybe, but tangent"
Jackson: "Oh yeah tangent"
Doc: "Tangent"
Jackson: "Tangent"
Doc: "Tangent"

Interviewer: "Right, but can you explain [thing]?"

Doc: "Non-sequitor"
Jackson: "Haha yeah"

Interview rules.Surely there's some rich fan out there who's willing to finance a season 8. Definitely seems like it's gonna be years if at all given the answer they give to "hey could Venture Bros come back as a comic or something else".

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Interview rules.Surely there's some rich fan out there who's willing to finance a season 8. Definitely seems like it's gonna be years if at all given the answer they give to "hey could Venture Bros come back as a comic or something else".

Only works if you're like Bezos and actually own a platform.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I love them

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"i wish you had been able to get Matt Berry in there"
"did we tell them about that??"

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm extremely jealous of you. Savor it.

Like I said, I blitzed through it, but now I'm missing the fact that there aren't more, so maybe I should have! I watched it all on a dodgy website too, so the quality was all over the place. I'd be interested in seeing it all again with clean visuals. is this possible without access to a disc player?

I was surprised by the ending, never expected that the original Hank and Dean were clones- why would Rusty do that!? He never seemed like the type of person to want children, just sex. I could see him trying to emulate his dad maybe, but he seemed so paternal in that final scene.

Loved that it ended with them back on the compound- they just can't escape!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the originals weren't clones, they were just test tube babies grown in doc's man womb

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

the originals weren't clones, they were just test tube babies grown in doc's man womb

Ah, yeah, I guess I meant 'manufactured child' or something. I still think it's uncharacteristic! I do like the moments where they softened Rusty's character though, so maybe this is one of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably meaningful specifically because it feels weird for Doc. There's definitely valid questions to be raised about him being really not someone suitable to raise children, as that potter's field can attest to, but then it also says a lot that he wanted the boys, they aren't the result of (another) ill-advised hookup or misadventure that he got stuck with. And it's one case where he was clearly trying to emulate his dad, but actually did better, if only because goddamn that bar is low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also what's interesting is that he deliberately made two. Which suggests that he always wanted a brother.