Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Billy's is great. Their boudin balls are something else though. They wrap boudin around a little block of pepper jack and then bread and deep fry all of that. I can eat like two of them before I need a nap.

Should be doing a roadtrip back to Houston for Christmas and I'll be sure to swing by there on the way through Louisiana. There's also Don's Specialty Meats at the same exit in Scott, but I prefer Billy's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sausage

Gumbo

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Hell yeah

I used to stop at Rabideux's when I was making the BR-Houston round trip a lot, always brought an ice chest for sausages. Their pork and venison was really good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Happy Mardi Gras

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Give the pup whatever they want. :3:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Happy belated Mardi Gras

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, this thread seems like a good place to ask this question, possibly. I'm looking to do a twist on chicken and waffles for dinner tonight. I've got this bag of fried cheddar bacon scallop balls from Aldi, and I wanna serve them over some cheddar bay biscuit waffles. What would be a good sauce to go over the top of that? I've got a bit of bourbon barrel maple syrup that I could drizzle over the top, but I feel like I should accentuate that with maybe some hot sauce and possibly citrus? Or I could go creamy with something like a sriracha mayo, possibly. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I ended up finding a bottle of Aldi's version of boom boom sauce in the back of the pantry, and mixed equal parts that and the bourbon barrel maple syrup with a bit of lime juice to brighten it up. It tasted pretty ok.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 15, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to make shrimp and crawfish gumbo again. My grocery store finally started selling head-on shrimp.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, this thread seems like a good place to ask this question, possibly. I'm looking to do a twist on chicken and waffles for dinner tonight. I've got this bag of fried cheddar bacon scallop balls from Aldi, and I wanna serve them over some cheddar bay biscuit waffles. What would be a good sauce to go over the top of that? I've got a bit of bourbon barrel maple syrup that I could drizzle over the top, but I feel like I should accentuate that with maybe some hot sauce and possibly citrus? Or I could go creamy with something like a sriracha mayo, possibly. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I ended up finding a bottle of Aldi's version of boom boom sauce in the back of the pantry, and mixed equal parts that and the bourbon barrel maple syrup with a bit of lime juice to brighten it up. It tasted pretty ok.

Sounds like it would be good.

I think general questions thread is prob best overall if you wanted any more followup / suggestions. This isn't a bad spot for it but maybe more eyeballs over on that one comparatively.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That Works posted:

Sounds like it would be good.

I think general questions thread is prob best overall if you wanted any more followup / suggestions. This isn't a bad spot for it but maybe more eyeballs over on that one comparatively.

Yeah, I should've asked there. I figured here at the time because it's like, chicken and waffles, but seafood, which seems in this thread's bag. One bit of advice I'll give if anyone here wants to try making cheddar bay waffles, the box calls for 3/4 cup of water, but use 1 1/4 cup. The waffles won't wanna brown in the iron very easily, so take them out as soon as there's no more steam coming out of the iron and crisp them in the air fryer for a minute or two. For the sauce, if I were to do it again, I'd go with the maple/lime juice/hot sauce instead of the boom boom sauce.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
You could also try the southern food thread or hot sauce thread for that one. Personally, I'd go with something neutral*, like Frank's, for hot chicken and waffles.

* obviously it's hot sauce so it's not neutral, but relative to Garlic Miso Triple Death Bowel Inflamer or whatever which is just going to overwhelm the syrup and waffles

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Frank's?

Frank's?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mushika posted:

Frank's?

Frank's?

Hey, Crystal it ain't, but we put that poo poo on the wings where I'm from. It's got its own place. Yellow Bird has a really good agave and habanero hot sauce that, if I hadn't bought the $1 trial size bottle from Walmart, would've been perfect in this.

Discussion Quorum posted:

You could also try the southern food thread or hot sauce thread for that one. Personally, I'd go with something neutral*, like Frank's, for hot chicken and waffles.

* obviously it's hot sauce so it's not neutral, but relative to Garlic Miso Triple Death Bowel Inflamer or whatever which is just going to overwhelm the syrup and waffles

I... didn't even think to check and see if there was a southern food thread. :doh: That's what I get for being in a mild rush.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I think the vinegar forward nature of most Louisiana sauces would clash with the maple syrup. Maybe Crystal would work. Tabasco, no. Frank's and chicken is a perfectly reasonable combination.

A habanero sauce would probably be good too, if your guests would be down for that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh right, I've got a bone to pick with everyone ITT about Crystal! I finally got some and I don't get it at all.

It's not that hot, and has a ton of salt. Pretty much a slightly hotter cholula. So if you use it on something that's already got good seasoning but you want to add heat, you have to use a big glug and you end up over-salted.

I'd take tabasco any day of the week. Crystal will be nice for putting on eggs tho.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Oh right, I've got a bone to pick with everyone ITT about Crystal! I finally got some and I don't get it at all.

It's not that hot, and has a ton of salt. Pretty much a slightly hotter cholula. So if you use it on something that's already got good seasoning but you want to add heat, you have to use a big glug and you end up over-salted.

I'd take tabasco any day of the week. Crystal will be nice for putting on eggs tho.

Yeah, Crystal for me is not a general purpose hot sauce. Crystal is THE sauce for gumbo, jambalaya, anything creole/cajun.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Personally I don’t use Crystal for heat. When I cook cajun/creole, the food is already spicy enough from cayenne/etc when it hits the table (I also often throw in chopped jalapeños with my trinity, even though I bet that’s heretical). The Crystal’s there for a pop of acid and color, it’s almost a garnish.

It does kill on eggs too though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hash browns too.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Garlic Crystal is my general purpose hot sauce because that stuff is yummy. But it's certainly not the be all and end all heat and flavor combo. I use Sriracha for that.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 16, 2024

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

loving double post.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Crystal is the salt and vinegar finish with a tiny amount of heat.

Tabasco is more heat with vinegar.

Usually Im adding these to things that already have some heat, I like tabasco for beans, crystal for everything else (and sometimes beans too).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hmm, I guess the answer is that to me the main job of a hot sauce is adding heat at the table, when food is made to accommodate the lowest heat tolerance. And when I'm cooking for myself I use cayenne and hot peppers to suit my own taste.

(Also I'm one of those people who can drink vinegar straight, so the vinegar in a few shakes of tabasco is nothing to me.)

Scythe posted:

(I also often throw in chopped jalapeños with my trinity, even though I bet that’s heretical).

Try adding some poblanos, particularly for a dish that is cooking for a long time. Good flavor and they keep a little more structure after cooking.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Works posted:

Crystal is the salt and vinegar finish with a tiny amount of heat.

Tabasco is more heat with vinegar.

Usually Im adding these to things that already have some heat, I like tabasco for beans, crystal for everything else (and sometimes beans too).

Yeah this is more or less my take as well, but Tabasco also has a distinctive flavor to it. I love it on red beans and rice and jambalaya but it's not something I often use for general hot sauce purposes.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 22, 2024

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

In my opinion, there is no general-purpose hot sauce. There are tons of different hot sauces that have tons of different applications. However, when it comes to Creole or Cajun-style dishes, Crystal comes the closest. If you want more heat, add something hot to the dish, like whatever hot peppers you have on hand, cayenne, whatever. Tabasco is fine if that's all you have, and often it is.

But Frank's is just worthless to me, wings or otherwise.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I need to make shrimp and crawfish gumbo again. My grocery store finally started selling head-on shrimp.

I went to buy head-on shrimp for gumbo today and the store was out. :negative:

Even worse, a guy at the seafood counter told me he heard a rumor that some new state legislation was making it impossible for them to get more.

Do any of y'all know anything about this? I live in Texas and I haven't heard anything about a law making shrimp with heads illegal. Maybe it's some anti-immigrant poo poo cuz a lot of the shrimp comes from Ecuador?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That sounds insane but Texas is a hellhole so, I dunno.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I. M. Gei posted:

I went to buy head-on shrimp for gumbo today and the store was out. :negative:

Even worse, a guy at the seafood counter told me he heard a rumor that some new state legislation was making it impossible for them to get more.

Do any of y'all know anything about this? I live in Texas and I haven't heard anything about a law making shrimp with heads illegal. Maybe it's some anti-immigrant poo poo cuz a lot of the shrimp comes from Ecuador?

I'm in Texas and I haven't heard of this.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

A railroad commissioner is in a dispute with the public finance authority, so shrimp are off the menu.

this is a lie, maybe?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm in Texas and I haven't heard of this.

I checked google and didn't see anything about a new shrimp law so it may be bullshit. It's possible the store was just out and didn't have shelf space to put out more because of Mardi Gras and crawfish season. Then again google sucks poo poo now, so :shrug:

In any case I ended up getting some shrimp at the Asian market. It cost about $15 more but I'm pretty sure it's the same shrimp.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edit: wrong continent

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 25, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I just made my first ever shrimp stock with shrimp heads, following Phil Moscowitz's megapost. It smells a little pepper-y but maybe that'll balance out later when I make the actual gumbo.

Now if only I could find some fresh okra. I know frozen okra works fine but it feels like a waste after all the effort I went to to make this stock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Well I just made my first ever shrimp stock with shrimp heads, following Phil Moscowitz's megapost. It smells a little pepper-y but maybe that'll balance out later when I make the actual gumbo.

Now if only I could find some fresh okra. I know frozen okra works fine but it feels like a waste after all the effort I went to to make this stock.

Check your local big Asian market/store. If it’s big enough to have a fresh produce section, chances are good they’ll carry okra.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
There is nothing wrong with frozen veggies and if you're cooking them anyways they may be higher quality than "fresh" (which may not always be as fresh as you think).

That said, depending on where you are in Texas, it's also worth checking Fiesta Mart if there is one around you.

e: okra is a summer/early fall crop so I would assume any fresh okra you find in February is shipped from pretty drat far away

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 26, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ive used fresh vs frozen in my gumbo before and honestly not a lot of difference. If you were just doing like stewed okra and tomatoes as a side dish or frying okra its a lot more important.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shrimp stock.

Gumbo roux

I didn't use the oven trick to make the roux this time. I made it all on the stovetop like a big boy!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The finished gumbo.

Pardon the messy rear end pot.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It seems rather thick…what did you put in it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It seems rather thick…what did you put in it?

It is, although my gumbo is usually like that.

The roux is 1.5 cups each of flour and canola oil, and I used about 3 or 4 quarts of stock, 2 cups of rice uncooked (probably closer to 6 cups after cooking; I cooked the rice separately), 24 oz of frozen okra, and something like 5 lbs of shrimp cuz I like my gumbo meaty and full of protein! :pumped:

It's closer to porridge than soup at this point but I ain't complaining. It's still fuckin delicious.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
You made I M Geitouffee