Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
it's nice of her to put so much effort into making gender-neutral bathrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cromulent_Chill posted:

$70-120 for 28g in AB at the stores

And I thought Manitoba was famous for its low cost of living :mad:

Actually you can get an ounce for much cheaper than I thought. I've been trying to stop smoking so I never buy that much any more. But yeah my local shop has a few types of 28 g on sale for $80 and up.

Karach has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Feb 29, 2024

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Anyway here's an adult getting bullied by a turkey

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2312822339918

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

AB Energy Minister Brian Jean declared that the foothills of the Rockies are actually open for new open-pit coal mining after lobbying from Aussie billionaire and poet Gina Rinehart. This is her best known work:

and right after the province announced that they would ban all renewable energy developments within eyesight of the Rockies so that people can enjoy their pristine unspoiled views of open-pit coal mines! Danielle Smith is such a forward thinker

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Well 'pristine view' wasn't defined in the bill so who's to say what's pristine or not? It's open to interpretation.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Smith out saying she's got a bunch more stuff that's going to "make the lefts heads explode".

So get ready for more bullshit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
cool, whatever

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Death to Alberta

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The good folks at CSIS have stopped our scientists from being too Chinese when collaborating with other scientists, well done!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/winnipeg-lab-firing-documents-released-china-1.7128865

quote:

Dr. Xiangguo Qiu's decisions 'could have impacted public safety'

quote:

assist China to improve its capability to fight highly-pathogenic pathogens"

It's so cool that our takeaway from the last 4 years is that we want China to be less good at fighting viruses, because "it's not fair, we thought of that first!" I guess.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol cool. CSIS hitting another homerun after they spun up that story of that one MP being too Chinese. I bet this isn't a warning sign of a serious trend or anything

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DaysBefore posted:

Lol cool. CSIS hitting another homerun after they spun up that story of that one MP being too Chinese. I bet this isn't a warning sign of a serious trend or anything

Does that one bugfuck dude from Global have a report on this yet?

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Feb 29, 2024

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

The good folks at CSIS have stopped our scientists from being too Chinese when collaborating with other scientists, well done!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/winnipeg-lab-firing-documents-released-china-1.7128865

It's so cool that our takeaway from the last 4 years is that we want China to be less good at fighting viruses, because "it's not fair, we thought of that first!" I guess.

what a loving useless agency, gently caress CSIS, gently caress Canada, gently caress all of that

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Speaking of CSIS, the new netflix documentary "American Conspiracy - The Octopus Murders" has a hilariously Canadian part where after being illegally given a piece of spy software with a back door in it for the NSA/CIA/FBI to spy on canadians through, CSIS wrote a letter to the company it was stolen from requesting that they translate the software into French because, y'know

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
CSIS is full of /r/canada posters

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
CSIS is just responsible for diligently leaking the emails they get from Langley. Langley would be extremely upset if they weren't leaking when and where they're supposed to.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

NS budget out, funding for the private Yarmouth-Maine ferry that nobody uses is now $22,000,000 a year lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

more ferries, less CSIS

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tfw your scientists are a security risk because of their "belief in the power of science to help humanity."

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

more ferries, less CSIS

Bring back fast ferries imo

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Death to Alberta

It's NHL trade season, let's trade Alberta for like Maine or something

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

NS budget out, funding for the private Yarmouth-Maine ferry that nobody uses is now $22,000,000 a year lmao

How much does a passenger rail line cost, I'm wondering

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Turpitude posted:

Speaking of CSIS, the new netflix documentary "American Conspiracy - The Octopus Murders" has a hilariously Canadian part where after being illegally given a piece of spy software with a back door in it for the NSA/CIA/FBI to spy on canadians through, CSIS wrote a letter to the company it was stolen from requesting that they translate the software into French because, y'know

I laughed really hard when Canada was the first to open a not_a_virus.exe attachment from the loving CIA

Doc overall is pretty entertaining. It's interesting getting a sense of how people who stand out in society get on the CIA/FBI's radar. Whether it's journalists to be executed for getting too close, or teen hacker/LSD manufactures to be recruited.

It seems like intelligence agencies have evolved from hiring drifters to shoot people in the face, to limited hangouts, to flooding the zone with conspiracy bullshit so nobody cares anymore.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

COPE 27 posted:

Tfw your scientists are a security risk because of their "belief in the power of science to help humanity."

Hope is a threat to national security

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
got our new place and somehow lucked into a far nicer place for only a 25% rent increase (rough chuckle)

now we just have to worry about whether our current landlord will actually pay the n12 compensation we are owed and what the gently caress happens in that case when our LL/the seller is in China :allears:

we're literally across the road and can see our old place from our new place so if the buyer lied and doesn't move in we're absolutely doing the whole T5 thing against them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
congrats?

i mean, it's definitely not the worst outcome, at least

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah it's an upgrade at least, which makes the rent increase easier to stomach. the best possible outcome for this given the circumstances. we're so loving glad we didn't buy the place we're moving out of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress I want this day at work to be over. It's one thing to laugh at the feds over the Winnipeg labs fuckup or the PPC candidate skimming arrivecan money. It's another thing entirely to listen to Ministers dodge questions for hours and hours while the cabinet completely burns down around them. It's just been a gauntlet of announcements this morning followed by an endless stream of questions without answers and I'm exhausted from listening to it all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

we're racist and stupid as gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah it's an upgrade at least, which makes the rent increase easier to stomach. the best possible outcome for this given the circumstances. we're so loving glad we didn't buy the place we're moving out of.

always nice when other people's greed helps you out (sort of)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ontario-medcheck-shoppers-drug-mart-pressure-1.7126811

TL;DR Ontario pharmacies can do what’s called a “MedCheck”, which is supposed to be a sit-down with a patient where you go over their medications with them to make sure there’s no adverse interactions and that they understand what all their meds do. Shoppers Drug Mart figured out they can bill OHIP the max amount of $75 any time they do a “MedCheck” and that a <5 minute phone call where you ask someone if they’re fine with their meds and they say “sure” can be counted as a MedCheck, and incentives were followed accordingly in exactly the way you’d expect.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i can't get over how loving stupid and racist this worthless country is, a chinese scientist wants to use science and research on deadly pathogens to improve the human race and save lives and all we can sputter is CHINA BAD NATIONAL SECURITY god we loving suck so much and we deserve every pandemic

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Arc Hammer posted:

gently caress I want this day at work to be over. It's one thing to laugh at the feds over the Winnipeg labs fuckup or the PPC candidate skimming arrivecan money. It's another thing entirely to listen to Ministers dodge questions for hours and hours while the cabinet completely burns down around them. It's just been a gauntlet of announcements this morning followed by an endless stream of questions without answers and I'm exhausted from listening to it all.

thank you for your service :canada:

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
I totally believe that there was hella skimming and graft and no-show jobs and so on in the ArriveCAN project, because, yeah, it's a software project. infamously those never arrive on time or on budget.

what I don't get is how they believed that it would cost only $80,000. nothing costs $80,000. you can't buy a parking space anymore for $80,000. how did they believe that number, ever? That's like hiring a guy to paint your house for $20, labour, supplies, everything, and then being shocked that he was a bullshit artist.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zero knowledge posted:

I totally believe that there was hella skimming and graft and no-show jobs and so on in the ArriveCAN project, because, yeah, it's a software project. infamously those never arrive on time or on budget.

what I don't get is how they believed that it would cost only $80,000. nothing costs $80,000. you can't buy a parking space anymore for $80,000. how did they believe that number, ever? That's like hiring a guy to paint your house for $20, labour, supplies, everything, and then being shocked that he was a bullshit artist.

Whoever was contracted to work on it massively underbid the cost? That's the first possibility, and no one had enough experience/good sense to think "wow that is not possible with that little money, no way."

I've seen that with renovation and software contractors who underbid, gently caress up managing their budget and either stick the people that hired them with a larger bill or try to abandon the project.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ontario-medcheck-shoppers-drug-mart-pressure-1.7126811

TL;DR Ontario pharmacies can do what’s called a “MedCheck”, which is supposed to be a sit-down with a patient where you go over their medications with them to make sure there’s no adverse interactions and that they understand what all their meds do. Shoppers Drug Mart figured out they can bill OHIP the max amount of $75 any time they do a “MedCheck” and that a <5 minute phone call where you ask someone if they’re fine with their meds and they say “sure” can be counted as a MedCheck, and incentives were followed accordingly in exactly the way you’d expect.

this explains why every time I pick up my meds from shoppers there’s a stapled reminder asking me to do a medication review lol. I figured it was some scam like this

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
$80,000 is less than a year of a single mid-level IT professional's salary, not to mention the AWS bill and other operational costs of building this (yes I know computer touchers are overpaid and IT costs are inflated but that's not the point). $80k isn't an underbid it's not even in the realm of plausibility, just complete nonsense. That bid should have been laughed out of the room.

i worry there will be a big inquiry (that will amount to nothing) into how some federal oversight body let the costs get higher and higher and higher, but nobody will look into how the bid was accepted in the first place

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

i can't get over how loving stupid and racist this worthless country is, a chinese scientist wants to use science and research on deadly pathogens to improve the human race and save lives and all we can sputter is CHINA BAD NATIONAL SECURITY god we loving suck so much and we deserve every pandemic

It's so insane lol. If you are Chinese-Canadian and you do anything more complicated than like flip burgers there is a real possibility the drooling moron wannabe CIA freaks at CSIS are watching you. But nobody thinks about that, ponders what that really means, they just clap like seals because we caught another dirty commie spy who's threatening to work with other doctors to... prevent serious..... medical conditions.......... oh well, can't waste time thinking, the Ukranians need more guns

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Shocked pikachu face the next time there's an anti asian hate incident

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mulroney's dead lol. Irish eyes ain't smiling anymore you old bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

DaysBefore posted:

Mulroney's dead lol. Irish eyes ain't smiling anymore you old bitch