Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dan Olson's vid "why it's rude to suck a Warcraft" really articulated the way I perceive meta gaming and gamer prowess.

Ulio posted:

Yes, especially when someone is most likely better when they play poo poo they are use to instead of trying out meta builds they never played.

There's a term for it that I can't remember, but there's tangible benefit to using an objectively inferior quality implement simply because you like it and that boosts your performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I find games more fun when people use silly ways to communicate like emotes.

One of my first quick plays on helldive difficulty ended up with all of us diving in the ground and crawling around the extraction LZ for no reason, or maybe it was to celebrate

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

just got put in a challenging mission with a level 4 lol what the gently caress was that. carried him to the finish line and promptly hosed off. lil guy died seven times, I'm not a babysitter!

then a hard bot mission and the other three divers can't stop turning everything into the Alamo so I run off to do three bonus objectives and hoover up samples, only to misjudge some water on the way back and lose 11 common and 9 rare 😭. we finished the mission and I somehow still took the lead in kills lol. goty i love randos

e: in an earlier mission our pelican glitched and wouldn't take off and the bugs stopped showing up, so we had to kill ourselves sixteen times rather than wait for the mission to fail. I didn't know if you run out of bounds they start orbital striking your traitorous rear end, that rules

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 29, 2024

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

burnsep posted:

Hi everyone! I’m eager to do my part! Just got a PS5 and am about to start downloading the game. From what I’ve seen the best experience is with a crew, but the Discord invites in the first post are dead- anyone willing to take me on a field trip to an ugly planet? A bug planet?

BTW (in addition to my plea for PS5 players) the game has been downloading for 4 hours and it’s still just at 30%. Is this normal?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Finally unlocked Helldive, phew

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

jokes posted:

I want to set up an MG on top of a hill and have a buddy with a supply pack set up a continuous feed of ammunition so that, as a team, they can fire the MG through 6 packs of ammo without needing to stop firing

I had a wonderful mission the other day with two folks out in the desert fighting a massive wave of bugs, and me on a hill with a machine gun and my friend with an ammo backpack and a sniper rifle, and we just laid down there shooting at bugs (and me occassionally calling down some EATs to fire off into the distance) that were about to devour our teammates.

It was, quite possibly, the most fun I've had with the game so far, shooting the poo poo, shooting bugs, as the horrible life and death struggle happens, you know, over there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Difficulty 4 isn't that bad for beginners. You probably won't be able to solo it, but you have the tools to usefully contribute against everything the game's likely to throw at you.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
is this game worth buying if I dont have friends?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

dsf posted:

It's fun playing with pubbies but you just made many friends (timezone depending) by posting

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dsf posted:

Hello friend do you like crawling and hugs and democracy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

dsf posted:

Do you mind playing with pubbies and/or adding goons to play with?

You can technically solo missions in this game but it's definitely built around playing with others.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

dsf posted:

stupid idiot, we're your friends! :blastu:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

dsf posted:

He says, posting on a forum that makes him post scarcity for Internet friends via access to a multitude of discords.

In answer to your question, yes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Someday I'll figure out how to actually play with some of you, but today is probably not that day.

Edit: Do I have to join the MPrEG discord server again? I forget why I dropped that from my discord list. I can at least re-add that.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

just got put in a challenging mission with a level 4 lol what the gently caress was that.

Challenging is what I'd consider the "base" difficulty, that's exactly where I'd expect a level 4 player to be if they're working their way through the missions as they unlock, and 7 deaths seems pretty reasonable for a level 4 trying to tackle it for the first time and getting their feet under them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 29, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do feel like working your way up through the difficulties on solo is good practice, at least. It gives you a more intimate understanding of the enemies, the mission design, and your own capabilities that gives you useful transferable skills for tackling harder content with friends or pubbies.

Also, returning to low difficulties and thoroughly exploring maps on your own is a good way to stock up on samples.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

burnsep posted:

BTW (in addition to my plea for PS5 players) the game has been downloading for 4 hours and it’s still just at 30%. Is this normal?

I can't say whether or not it still applies to the PS5, but I have never once seen my PS4 come even close to downloading anything at the speeds my internet connection is capable of. So my guess at answering your question is "probably."

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

JBP posted:

Dan Olson's vid "why it's rude to suck a Warcraft" really articulated the way I perceive meta gaming and gamer prowess.

Wow is actually a really interesting comparison because I think it highlights all the reasons why it seems dumb to expect a community standard of hard commiting to a meta in HD2. A big part of what drives it in games like wow is that the potential for how much time can be wasted by poor performance is much higher, leading to the overall community standards. In HD2 who cares if someone runs a theoretically weak loadout, at most you lose out on like 20 minutes of your time and it’s trivial to just go next.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
FO76 had the funniest open mic stupidity on launch. Sitting at character creation listening to other random idiots and their kids/parents.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

burnsep posted:

The planets heard you call them ugly, so now we have to convince them one at a time to get on your machine. It’s gonna take hours. Some of them are crying. I hope you’re happy.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

GlyphGryph posted:

Challenging is what I'd consider the "base" difficulty, that's exactly where I'd expect a level 4 player to be if they're working their way through the missions as they unlock, and 7 deaths seems pretty reasonable for a level 4 trying to tackle it for the first time and getting their feet under them.

oh poo poo, really? I spent a lot of levels running medium solo or in quickplay so maybe I have a skewed perspective. I didn't think to mention that the other two divers timed out on the way in, but still this guy was just running off and dying so much lol.

has anyone had a snowball fight yet on the automaton ice planet? I was crouched and got the prompt to make one and throw it, but hell broke loose and I forgot to try whipping one at my teammates

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I tried to hit my friends with snowballs and was stymied by the fact they throw like grenades, so they kept going over their heads.

Then we were rudely ambushed by robots while distracted

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Legit Businessman posted:

I don't know if it's worth it to put into the op, but this is a neat site:

https://helldivers.io/

They believe that abandoning a mission does not contribute to losing a planet. It seems like they've done a bit of data diving to get this all together, so it's most likely true.

I'll put that in OP!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

When the game actually works and lets me in to play, its great. Could maybe do with having another gun or two available early on, as it is at the moment I've got a fun shotgun that I can only really use against bugs and the basic rifle, with my next choice being a long range option i dont really want to use.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really like the basic rifle. I hope they introduce something else that acts like 1980s bullpup space AR and maybe give it more armour penetration. Who cares if it's a straight upgrade it's fun to go brrrr without paying the stalwart tax.

Speaking of upgrades it would be cool to get some gun mods. They could be advantage and disadvantage, just something to spice up the guns.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I would love the ability to put the default liberator scope on every gun, I absolutely loathe the DMR and AMR sights because they take a second to become fully clear and have the dumb open circle instead of a regular rear end cross hair or post.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the tip to shoot the double chainsaw bots in the waist instead of the head is real, it's much easier to put repeated shots there and seems to take no more shots to kill than headshots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Owl Inspector posted:

the tip to shoot the double chainsaw bots in the waist instead of the head is real, it's much easier to put repeated shots there and seems to take no more shots to kill than headshots.

I've killed them with one headshot but the way they bob it's so hard you just cut them in half

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The other advantage of aiming for the waist is that recoil puts stray shots into their face instead of the sky.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

what the hell I got railgunned after already getting in the shuttle and got a failed to extract

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

GlyphGryph posted:

I had a wonderful mission the other day with two folks out in the desert fighting a massive wave of bugs, and me on a hill with a machine gun and my friend with an ammo backpack and a sniper rifle, and we just laid down there shooting at bugs (and me occassionally calling down some EATs to fire off into the distance) that were about to devour our teammates.

It was, quite possibly, the most fun I've had with the game so far, shooting the poo poo, shooting bugs, as the horrible life and death struggle happens, you know, over there.

One of the best times I've had is dropping into a 7 with randos and being able to split into pairs and just handle poo poo. Me and the one guy did pretty much one side of the map, bonus objectives, hives, systematically wiping everything, handling the big stuff as it appeared. Then toward the end went to join back up with the other pair and find them getting swarmed, and just sitting on a rise with my buddy firing my Autocannon and his railgun at a range of like 150m broadside into this swarm of bugs charging at my teammates, providing basically artillery cover fire from range. It was great. Made it out with a shitload of samples and all the objectives in good time. Fun team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Does anyone think they made the higher difficulties a little less punishing? With decent teammates was breezing through 7 and 8. Closer to launch those missions were absolute mayhem and seemed like there were more enemies. Or am I just imagining that

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Hellbombs still continue to be a big source of frustration to me.

If I can only call it in within a specific circle for an objective, let it destroy every goddamn objective in the circle you can drop it in. Having to call in 2+ hellbombs for a single stupid objective Feels Bad Man, especially if the hellbomb was like.. 20 feet from the second building. An airstrike should not be able to cover more ground for destruction objectives than something called a hell bomb.

Ei: Don't get me started on those bot Eye of Sauron towers with their "nope no strategem balls on this ground lol" terrain

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

JBP posted:

Speaking of upgrades it would be cool to get some gun mods. They could be advantage and disadvantage, just something to spice up the guns.

the weapon customization system seems like it's pretty far along, which may be contributing to the weapon balance being kind of poo poo at the moment.

there are actually a lot of cool seeming things in the game files. i really hope that the shoulder mounted video camera makes it to release and you go on propaganda filming missions

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

what the hell I got railgunned after already getting in the shuttle and got a failed to extract

Yup. You can kill people when they are on the extraction ship.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Insert name here posted:

The SPAAG-style tank that shows up on higher difficulties doesn't have a weakspot, IIRC.
Quoting myself to say that I was wrong, those do have weakpoints on the back of the turret still, I just never saw it because the turret spins much faster.

LuiCypher posted:

Bots do have weak spots, and explosive helps immensely against those. The radiators on the back of Hulks/Tanks/Cannons/Devastators/Striders (yes, Striders do have radiators on their back of their hip joint but at that point it's just better to shoot the bot driving it) all count as weak spots and take increased damage from explosives. You can test it by shooting the weak spots with a Railgun and compare that to shooting them with an Autocannon - the Autocannon will kill it in far fewer shots thanks to its explosive property, which the Railgun lacks.
The AMR takes those out pretty fast too, even though it isn't explosive, since it can shoot as fast as you can click. Not always the most practical to set up though :v:
https://i.imgur.com/C1Flv78.mp4

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Hooo boy is the arc thrower fun, and also very easy to do team damage with.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Insert name here posted:

Quoting myself to say that I was wrong, those do have weakpoints on the back of the turret still, I just never saw it because the turret spins much faster.

These tanks - small turret, quad barrel - are weaker in general. Two impact grenades to the turret from any angle will take them out. I'm sure rockets will and I'd bet even the Autocannon might do it.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

All this meta talk made me want to try something a bit funky so I ran ballistic shield + defender + am rifle in a bot mission. It was actually pretty fun, not sure if it was necessarily good but I at least felt effective.

It's a pretty good build for staying near your team but heading off to pick up side objectives like air striking a fabricator. The shield is very effective when skirmishing with lighter bots and then you can fall back on the am rifle in bigger fights to pick off heavier targets.

Also one thing I enjoyed when facing down medium armour guys like the ones with their own shield, you can still hold the ballistic shield in front of you when prepping a grenade which means you can dash up to them for an easy one shot impact grenade to the face. This also works on the chicken walkers, although it's quite easy to circle around them with the defender.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JBP posted:

There's a term for it that I can't remember, but there's tangible benefit to using an objectively inferior quality implement simply because you like it and that boosts your performance.

There is a balance to strike between fun weird builds and meta builds. People could at least aim for adequacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
in quickplay came across a few people who are just running the defense missions on the defend campaign worlds with the intention to let it fail and only focusing on collecting/farming samples -_-

I guess this is why the defense campaigns keep being lost?