Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Constellation is good, it's no Severance, but it isn't bad. Much better than Invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

David Dastmalchian has joined the cast of Apple's Murderbot Diaries tv show. He's playing on of the crew that Murderbot is contracted to protect.

Fess up, did you know how to spell that without looking

Some news on the netflix series i am apparently personally writing, directing, and casting

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1762968550740832639

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 29, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

That looks more like a live action Yellow Submarine remake

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Some news on the netflix series i am apparently personally writing, directing, and casting

I don't see where Jason Manzoukas is involved?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

Constellation is good, it's no Severance, but it isn't bad. Much better than Invasion.

Yeah, Constellation is fantastic, though I can understand why it's not for everyone. It's getting a lot of buzz in the Apple TV thread if people are curious. I recommend giving it a shot if you're into weird sci-fi stuff.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762912106700034118

Looks like all that improv work with Steven Merchant and Gervais paid off

"I've got full blown AIDS, Nordberg."

Nothing Liam ever does will be funnier than that scene of him jumping the fence in Taken 3. That poo poo is legit like the Deadliest Joke In The World to me, I laugh so hard I can't breathe whenever I see it. The guy who edited that deserves an Oscar for services to comedy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

IRQ posted:

This sounds a lot like the Carmen Sandiego final challenge that was basically physically impossible to do in the time alotted.

E: I guess not as bad since there weren't literal adults restraining the kids on that show like the temple guards

I read that the first season or so of Carmen San Diego started paying out too much so the later seasons used Europe and that was still too easy so they started using Africa to clamp down on people winning.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

"I've got full blown AIDS, Nordberg."

Nothing Liam ever does will be funnier than that scene of him jumping the fence in Taken 3. That poo poo is legit like the Deadliest Joke In The World to me, I laugh so hard I can't breathe whenever I see it. The guy who edited that deserves an Oscar for services to comedy.

Had to look this up.

Impressive editing work, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mooseontheloose posted:

I read that the first season or so of Carmen San Diego started paying out too much so the later seasons used Europe and that was still too easy so they started using Africa to clamp down on people winning.

The first season of WITWICS was immediately obsolete due to the dissolution of the Soviet Union and breakup of Yugoslavia impacting European maps. They added a disclaimer for the second season onward saying the maps they used were accurate at the time of taping.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

zoux posted:

Having a fun time imagining them getting the rights to Ballad of Guitaeau from Soundheim's Assassins musical for this. Assuming Shannon or Offerman is cast as Guitaeau either would kill it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QjBrcjUJE

edit: in speed to dream missed that MacFayden is Guitaeau. Heck, I'd sign up to see him sing this diddy too, guy's probably got pipes.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Watching Shogun, and I love how the Japanese characters speak actual Japanese, but Portuguese is represented by characters speaking modern English and being like "Whazzup, mate, you speak Portuguese too? Awesome!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should at least throw in a "bom dia" here and there

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the scene in the second episode where they just stopped showing the translation and had the characters talking to each other. Something I think is funny is how the main Japanese clan is not-Tokugawa but they still use the Tokugawa crest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clavell changed the name, I think, because "Tokogawa Ieyasu" would be harder for westerners to hang with than "Toranaga Yoshi". Also it meant he didn't have to be beholden to the actual history of the Tokogawa shogunate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yoshi, sure, everyone knows Yoshi. But Toronaga isn't easier than Tokugawa and sounds like the name of a drug cartel leader from a modern drama or Brooklyn 99.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Today I learned that only three streaming services actually turn a profit:

-Netflix
-Hulu
-Max (No, really)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Been watching Resident Evil and now I'm in S2 and it's the best thing I'm watching. Very funny and great. Surprised it's not talked about more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uhhh, assuming you mean Resident Alien.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lol yeah I did. Woops

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The latest episode of Halo was the best one yet, and it hardly had any fighting.
It's a little wild that a show that was aggressively mediocre bordering on bad, is now good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Been watching Resident Evil and now I'm in S2 and it's the best thing I'm watching. Very funny and great. Surprised it's not talked about more.

I just caught up on the newest episode of S3. Show's still got it, shame this is the final season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

Show's still got it, shame this is the final season.

I have seen nothing at all that's been announced that Season 3 is a final season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

I have seen nothing at all that's been announced that Season 3 is a final season.

No but the writing is basically on the wall with the reduced episode count.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's not a sure thing though.

They also recently sold it to Netflix and it's been getting a lot of word of mouth on that platform.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh interesting. I heard about the reduced episode count and assumed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
BJ Novak's show The Premise is gone. I randomly remembered some part from it and wanted to check it but on top of obviously being cancelled they also just removed it entirely. I suppose many shows in history only ever aired once or a finite number of times before essentially disappearing, but in the streaming era it seems like double-dog cancellation.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Today I learned that only three streaming services actually turn a profit:

-Netflix
-Hulu
-Max (No, really)

Source?

I'm surprised Prime doesn't make money. Their interface is set up to upsell the user on digital rentals, purchases and channel subscriptions. A lot of their big ticket shows are based on long running series of books. Surely the cash from a few tens of thousands of people buying one or more Reacher novels from Amazon, and maybe a Kindle to read them on or an audible subscription to listen to them, adds up.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

BJ Novak's show The Premise is gone. I randomly remembered some part from it and wanted to check it but on top of obviously being cancelled they also just removed it entirely. I suppose many shows in history only ever aired once or a finite number of times before essentially disappearing, but in the streaming era it seems like double-dog cancellation.

I''ve never heard of this show, shame about the cancellation and middling reviews, the premise sounds fun. Like a more interesting middle ground between Black Mirror and Twilight Zone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Source?

I'm surprised Prime doesn't make money.

Most of the other streaming platforms don't bundle in free two-day shipping with their movies and shows.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

High Warlord Zog posted:

Source?

I'm surprised Prime doesn't make money. Their interface is set up to upsell the user on digital rentals, purchases and channel subscriptions. A lot of their big ticket shows are based on long running series of books. Surely the cash from a few tens of thousands of people buying one or more Reacher novels from Amazon, and maybe a Kindle to read them on or an audible subscription to listen to them, adds up.

I don't think those revenues would be assigned to prime, but rather to the store itself

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bull3964 posted:

That's not a sure thing though.

They also recently sold it to Netflix and it's been getting a lot of word of mouth on that platform.

It does feel like it should have a limited run tho. Only so much you can do woth the premise.

But it really is one of the best arguments for turning an idea into a TV showrather than just a movie. Resident Alien as a movie would be funny but kind a cliche. You need episodes to really explore all the nuances and ridiculous things that arise with an alien trying to and inexplicably fitting into human society.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

It does feel like it should have a limited run tho. Only so much you can do woth the premise.

But it really is one of the best arguments for turning an idea into a TV showrather than just a movie. Resident Alien as a movie would be funny but kind a cliche. You need episodes to really explore all the nuances and ridiculous things that arise with an alien trying to and inexplicably fitting into human society.

It's essentially a small town Canadian show, about a funny outsider who moves in. Except they're doing "alien who doesn't understand humans" instead of "autistic person" or whatever other quirky fish out of whatever person or concept you want to bandy about. You can milk years off variations on that premise. Plenty of other small town Canadian shows have. e.g. Schitts Creek, Little Mosque On The Prairie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I found the writing and jokes a lot sharper than what I saw from Schitts creek. Like the joke to line ratio is insane and reminds me a little of Seinfeld in an odd way. I find the outside being embraced thing to be a bit saccharine for me sometimes and the show seems to resolutely avoiding it, like by having the main character be partly defined by his blood thirsty hatred of children

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I found the writing and jokes a lot sharper than what I saw from Schitts creek. Like the joke to line ratio is insane and reminds me a little of Seinfeld in an odd way. I find the outside being embraced thing to be a bit saccharine for me sometimes and the show seems to resolutely avoiding it, like by having the main character be partly defined by his blood thirsty hatred of children

Nah, Harry likes the kid. He's just got extreme "get off my lawn" energy most of the time.

The whole town local legend makes it pretty clear where his arc is heading anyway. IMO of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As happens when a beloved celebrity dies, people are sharing favorite clips. Richard Lewis was a natural.

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1763588399577891273

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol, the first episode of Elsbeth aired just now, and the second episode won't air until April 4th.

It's pretty fun though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Games Radar dot com has some comments from the makers of the up-coming Fallout teevee show:

Total Film posted:

The Fallout TV show isn't going to be a mere adaptation of the beloved post-apocalyptic video game series. Instead, the Prime Video series - which stars Ella Purnell and Walton Goggins - is going to have its own canonical space in the nuclear wasteland, a freeing choice that has led executive producer Jonathan Nolan to say the project is "almost like we're Fallout 5".

"From the first conversation with Todd [Howard, game director of Fallout 3 & 4, and an executive producer on the show] we were most excited about an original story," Nolan tells Total Film in our new issue out this Friday, which features Road House on the cover.

[...]Nolan continues, "Each of the [Fallout] games is a discrete story – different city, distinct protagonist – within the same mythology. Our series sits in relation to the games as the games sit in relation to each other. It’s almost like we’re Fallout 5. I don’t want to sound presumptuous, but it’s just a non-interactive version of it, right?"

Fallout, though, arrives in a different television landscape than the one it was conceived in. The Last of Us won the hearts and minds of audiences and awards bodies alike after its 2023 debut and, now, the message is clear after a potted history: video game adaptations can be something more.

"Now there’s an expectation of: 'No, they can actually be great. I watched some good ones,'" says co-showrunner Graham Wagner with a smile. "In a perverse way, I wish there was more snobbery so that we could have been the first!"

Fallout is released on Prime Video on April 12.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no it's going to be another Skyrim port

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Games Radar dot com has some comments from the makers of the up-coming Fallout teevee show:

Sure why not. I’m in for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I haven't played 3, but the main plot for 4 sucked and blew, so I'm glad they're doing something original. It could also be awful, but there's a chance it won't be? And Kyle MacLachlan is always a good time.