Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's the Australian dream to own your own semi detached home. If we had a culture where a family can live in medium to high density apartments then more of those would (hopefully) be built, and our cities wouldn't be the suburban hellscapes they've become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

Ablo cracking the shits at the greens political party about their government funded housing market pump and dump scam

Brb making a cspam thread where all we do is mispell albos name and also scam each other

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

starkebn posted:

It's the Australian dream to own your own semi detached home. If we had a culture where a family can live in medium to high density apartments then more of those would (hopefully) be built, and our cities wouldn't be the suburban hellscapes they've become.

The rental market for houses vs luxury inner city apartments is wild ATM. My wife is working closer to the city now so she's folded on wanting to live in the suburbs and there is a huge glut of really nice apartments in the brisbane cbd renting for about the same as the equivalent unit size in Chermside and both are substantially cheaper than any house in the same area that I'm willing to rent in my 40s.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
take a wild guess where on the graph the 50% CGT discount came in

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

hooman posted:

I always feel like it's the difference between "Let's dismantle the structures that oppress women." vs "Yay, look at all these great women who are part of the structures!"

SAPOL has a 'You Belong in Blue' campaign that's about encouraging diversity in new cadet intakes, and it's the Hire👏More👏Women👏Guards tweet made horrible, horrible flesh.

starkebn posted:

Nah, high density apartments would just be unaffordable too. In Edwardstown, Adelaide, the definition of a designated 'affordable home' construction has now been expanded to 'townhouse in the middle of a block of six, one parking space, two stories with a total internal dimension of each floor of 3*10m, prices from $500,000'.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

take a wild guess where on the graph the 50% CGT discount came in

Its such a loving no brainer to get rid of as well. How difficult can it be to say "Hey, we are getting rid of a discount on taxes, just like we got rid of lmito"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fed Police: Arrest that man! He's one of THEM!

LNP: Aha! One of THEM! We knew it! Just as we suspected!

Media: Look! We were warned!

Fed Police several hours later: Err we just checked the video footage. He's innocent. Some other (presumably an Australian) did the dirty deed. Who could possibly have done that first? We'll continue to support the LNP though.

News.com.au: Let us never speak of this again.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for January:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Funny thing about the CGT discount was it was brought in because some rich people wanted Australians to buy more shares in their dogshit companies.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
genocide bike

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
route someone

i'm trying, wordcloud!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Please start arguing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
clinical bike psychologists

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

apparently the smart money is on Stuart Robert

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Budzilla posted:

Please start arguing.

gently caress you I won't do what you tell me

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

BIKE

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if it turns out to be someone from the lnp how much is that gonna destroy potato's credibility?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CLINICALBIKEGETACCESS

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

if it turns out to be someone from the lnp how much is that gonna destroy potato's credibility?

His what now?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

if antonio albanesse supports women then why do the ones in his government keep dying???

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Linda White was a decent person.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think the housing crisis will just become a permanent feature of our economy or is there a way out?

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
There is a way out however isn't it something like 70% of Australians either own their homes outright or with a mortgage? Anything that significantly dents prices is a non-starter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do you think the housing crisis will just become a permanent feature of our economy or is there a way out?

There's no way out because nobody is going to create a situation where normal people can get a 20% deposit at the expense of the huge national wealth held in the property market. 66% of people are home owners. This falls every year so maybe in 2050 we will reach a balance of owners to renters that democracy can sort out.

Shedding value from the market by design is a non-starter for a lot of reasons. So the government is pumping cash into the lower end of the market. We all know how that's going to end! Probably with the housing market getting zeroed because that's how government investment tends to work cosmically.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
once the sea levels rise and flood the north shore, killing thousands of real estate agents, there might be a dip

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

once the sea levels rise and flood the north shore, killing thousands of real estate agents, there might be a dip

I don't think reducing the amount of land in Sydney is going to result in cheaper housing there.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

go_banana posted:

There is a way out however isn't it something like 70% of Australians either own their homes outright or with a mortgage? Anything that significantly dents prices is a non-starter.

There needs to be a cultural shift to stop looking at housing as a wealth generation / holding asset. That starts by stopping the tax breaks that encourage real estate speculation.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

I don't think reducing the amount of land in Sydney is going to result in cheaper housing there.

time to start killing real estate agents then

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dutton and Ley doubling down insisting police must be wrong lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Even with full CGT the way the property market goes up makes it super enticing to invest in. Same goes for negative gearing to some extent. The thing that pisses me off more about both these things is what a colossal waste of money they are. Even if you didn't see a reduction in price growth you'd at least get all those billions of dollars in top earner welfare back.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
outside of speculation on housing and mining we don't have much of an economy though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Even with full CGT the way the property market goes up makes it super enticing to invest in. Same goes for negative gearing to some extent. The thing that pisses me off more about both these things is what a colossal waste of money they are. Even if you didn't see a reduction in price growth you'd at least get all those billions of dollars in top earner welfare back.

Yes but if you make it comparatively less attractive to other (actually productive) investments you eventually reduce the speculative buyers.

Also making it clear that if you don’t want to be a housing provider don’t buy a second house: massive vacant land and dwelling tax premiums, tenancies that continue with the property upon sale, requiring breach of tenancy to terminate a lease etc

The other issue is how much you as a rando can leverage for a house compared to other investments making it more attractive for big wealth generation. Put $200k in the stock market or use $200k as collateral for a $1m property, even if return rates are identical you’re getting that return on 5x the initial investment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

outside of speculation on housing and mining we don't have much of an economy though.

Basically the wealthiest country in the world but nobody can buy anything lol

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes but if you make it comparatively less attractive to other (actually productive) investments you eventually reduce the speculative buyers.

Also making it clear that if you don’t want to be a housing provider don’t buy a second house: massive vacant land and dwelling tax premiums, tenancies that continue with the property upon sale, requiring breach of tenancy to terminate a lease etc

The other issue is how much you as a rando can leverage for a house compared to other investments making it more attractive for big wealth generation. Put $200k in the stock market or use $200k as collateral for a $1m property, even if return rates are identical you’re getting that return on 5x the initial investment.

I agree. It would be great to shunt a billion dollars out of do nothing property wealth and into Australian companies. But that kind of investing isn't "safe as houses"

E: did I say billion, that's a mistake, I meant trillion dollars

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 1, 2024

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Basically the wealthiest country in the world but nobody can buy anything lol

I agree. It would be great to shunt a billion dollars out of do nothing property wealth and into Australian companies. But that kind of investing isn't "safe as houses"

E: did I say billion, that's a mistake, I meant trillion dollars

It’s really hosed between that and basically giving our earth resources for free just how big a nation building opportunity we have squandered over the last thirty years.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
so why wouldnt asio name the ex poli? its not like they can use them to get info on china now that they told everyone they found their traitor

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

There's no way out because nobody is going to create a situation where normal people can get a 20% deposit at the expense of the huge national wealth held in the property market. 66% of people are home owners. This falls every year so maybe in 2050 we will reach a balance of owners to renters that democracy can sort out.

Shedding value from the market by design is a non-starter for a lot of reasons. So the government is pumping cash into the lower end of the market. We all know how that's going to end! Probably with the housing market getting zeroed because that's how government investment tends to work cosmically.

The problem is that unless you own multiple houses all of that "wealth" doesn't really exist, because you can't leverage it to do anything. I can't sell my house and profit on the appreciation because then I don't have a house and have to buy a house that has also appreciated.

All that an appreciating housing market does is make it easier to downsize and harder to upsize as the deltas between low, medium and high get bigger in real terms.

Dropping housing prices actually won't effect usable wealth. It will just hurt property speculators, and that's part of the risk you take with investments. I'm not going to cry for them any more that I would for people with shares in a company whose stock price eats poo poo.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Non Compos Mentis posted:

so why wouldnt asio name the ex poli? its not like they can use them to get info on china now that they told everyone they found their traitor
If you believe ASIO:

Far enough in the past that the current legislation doesn't apply. This means naming them (without sucessful prosecution) would be libelous.
Do not want to reveal the ways and means of detection (This one seems complete BS but we prob won't know for sure for 50 years).
They stopped it before it did any harm therefore no point really.

I personally think there are political shenanigans going on and unless they are named under privilege in Parliament both sides are looking bad (ie it was a Labor guy screwing with an LNP contact or vis-a-versa). Given the Kartofelfuhurer would throw his Mum under a bus for a grain of political advantage sand it mustn't make the Labor side look bad. It's a Labor administration (so they get to look at the most juicy TOP SECRET AUSTEO stuff) so if it was a big poo on the LNP I would think someone would reveal it. :shrug:

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

hooman posted:

The problem is that unless you own multiple houses all of that "wealth" doesn't really exist, because you can't leverage it to do anything. I can't sell my house and profit on the appreciation because then I don't have a house and have to buy a house that has also appreciated.

All that an appreciating housing market does is make it easier to downsize and harder to upsize as the deltas between low, medium and high get bigger in real terms.

Dropping housing prices actually won't effect usable wealth. It will just hurt property speculators, and that's part of the risk you take with investments. I'm not going to cry for them any more that I would for people with shares in a company whose stock price eats poo poo.

Generally I agree with you however it exists when I am forced to sell my house as I can no longer afford a mortgage due to an unforeseen event and the sale price does not meet the amount outstanding on my mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
dutton doesn't want them named because he'll be implicated/look like a dickhead because he was home affairs at the time i reckon