Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I feel so much better now having snagged a 4080 in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the rumors about the switch 2 having an 8" screen are interesting - that makes it likely bigger than the steam deck.
quaint to think back to the Wii U which I remember thinking was huge at the time but ultimately had a 6.2" screen

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

shrike82 posted:

the rumors about the switch 2 having an 8" screen are interesting - that makes it likely bigger than the steam deck.
quaint to think back to the Wii U which I remember thinking was huge at the time but ultimately had a 6.2" screen

To be fair the wii u gamepad has some chunky bezels

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 28, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1762852042635088081
AMD GPU not tripping at the finish line challenge level: impossible

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Considering it uses 20Gbps memory but clocked at 18Gbps speeds, the card should actually be a good overclocker when everything gets unlocked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pyrotek posted:

Considering it uses 20Gbps memory but clocked at 18Gbps speeds, the card should actually be a good overclocker when everything gets unlocked.
Isn’t it mainly the cores that overlock these days? Memory speeds seem pretty fixed.

Unless you mean a modded BIOS that unlocks faster VRAM speeds.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

pyrotek posted:

It's probably not the case here because we know the N31 memory controller can run fine at 20Gbps, but the rated speed of the memory isn't necessarily what every GPU can run.

4090's use 24Gbps GDDR6X that is clocked by default at 22.4Gbps, and not every card can stably run it at 24Gbps.

They definitely didn't limit the overclocking by mistake though, they're just having to unlock it now that they have to compete with the 4070 Super.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pyrotek posted:

"Overclocker's dream" sure I heard that one before buddy

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It released in July of last year. Has this bug existed since then and they just ignored it, or is this some new bug that’s showing up even though there seemingly shouldn’t be a need for new drivers since it’s been available since July of last year?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Branch Nvidian posted:

It released in July of last year. Has this bug existed since then and they just ignored it, or is this some new bug that’s showing up even though there seemingly shouldn’t be a need for new drivers since it’s been available since July of last year?
AMD is implying/admitting that it's artificially limited through drivers

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD is implying/admitting that it's artificially limited through drivers

We knew that already, the cap is just a value they set per GPU for maximum adjustment of memory/core clocks. It's weird they're trying to frame this as a bug when they do this for literally all their GPUs, this one is just particularly low. They could've just said "we are raising our limits so that our overclocking community can extract the most out of this GPU!" or something.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's obviously not a bug, it's a deliberate limitation they created for the Chinese market and when they brought it to the US/EU they either forgot about the limits or (more likely, and more stupidly) didn't expect reviewers to notice and complain

the bug is us

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-innovation-on-display-at-gdc-2024/

quote:

This API enables multi-vendor SR through a common set of inputs and outputs, allowing a single code path to activate a variety of solutions including NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution, AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution, and Intel XeSS.

As I suspected, DirectSR is an API for utilizing multiple super resolution (upscaling) technologies and not a new SR implementation itself.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

njsykora posted:

No PC gamer would ever play their games upscaled from a lower resolution.

:thunk: I don't mind using DLSS at all. Most of the time you don't notice the small amounts of artifacts or whatever. It's free real estate.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If memory clocking is a go, and board partner release updates and new cards with 20Gbps memory, this could be compelling. The gpu is held back hard right now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-innovation-on-display-at-gdc-2024/

As I suspected, DirectSR is an API for utilizing multiple super resolution (upscaling) technologies and not a new SR implementation itself.

So I guess this means that none of the vendors anticipate some breakthrough that improves results but requires a new bit of input? I guess in that case a game could add an additional path for IntelSuperMagicLLMScaling or use some extension mechanism.

Does this cover frame generation approaches too, or is DirectFG coming next? E: nope, sounds like just SR here

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 29, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Based on the name, I'd assume it's just upscaling. And I also assume that Microsoft can update it if and when necessary, though DX updates have been awfully slow since DX12.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PirateBob posted:

:thunk: I don't mind using DLSS at all. Most of the time you don't notice the small amounts of artifacts or whatever. It's free real estate.

It's also great for getting more mileage out of older or lower-stack cards. Even with just a 2080 - which I assume has an earlier, shittier implementation much like the RTX on offer - I'm getting a fair bit of improvement off not that much dropped quality.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Performance gains aside, DLSS is good anti-aliasing. It's better than the standard methods of AA IMO. I have a 4090 and I put DLSS quality on wherever I can unless there's a lot of weird glitches.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Performance gains aside, DLSS is good anti-aliasing. It's better than the standard methods of AA IMO. I have a 4090 and I put DLSS quality on wherever I can unless there's a lot of weird glitches.

Yeah, quality is basically free performance and AA from what I can tell. Disclaimer that I'm an old man with old man eyes who games at 1440p, so for all I know I'm the computer version of a dude taking a swig of Boon's Farm and telling a sommelier that it tastes fine, actually.

Even with a 2080 I don't bother with the performance end of the DLSS spectrum. poo poo can get really muddy down there and frankly at that point it's time to just dial back the detail globally and accept that your old card can't play things on maxed settings any more.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The 2080 is almost 6 years old, it's a great value.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The 2080 is almost 6 years old, it's a great value.

Yeah, it's been an absolute champ of a card.

Note that I didn't buy it new, I'm the resident cheapskate who's constantly haunting ebay looking for last year's flagship as this year's upgrade. I've got a Dell OEM one that I snagged for $200 about a year and a half back and it's doing well enough for 1440 that more than once I've skipped bidding on a 3080 because, gently caress it, this card is still doing surprisingly well with new titles and 3080 prices haven't quite dropped low enough to be impulse buy territory.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I remember the 2080 looking like poo poo because of the higher prices vs Pascal cards :negative:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I play usually with balanced or performance DLSS. Only ultra perf looks too bad with a 4K 42” olds for my eyes. Quality cuts down the fps too much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ihmemies posted:

I play usually with balanced or performance DLSS. Only ultra perf looks too bad with a 4K 42” olds for my eyes. Quality cuts down the fps too much.

iirc, "performance" is Nvidia's target/recommended mode for upscaling to 4k.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I remember the 2080 looking like poo poo because of the higher prices vs Pascal cards :negative:

It was. It was the generation to avoid when looking at msrp

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I use DLSS for VR, but even on quality, there is most definitely a graphics quality penalty, mostly on text or displays that are close to your face. That said, it’s a penalty absolutely worth paying, since it gives you a massive performance improvement at the same time.

Gaming on a flat panel is native resolution or GTFO. DLSS looks like poo poo at 1440, though I don’t have a 4K display to test it on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HalloKitty posted:

It was. It was the generation to avoid when looking at msrp

2080 had the same performance as a 1080 Ti at the same price, plus the added future promise of DLSS and RT, and lower power draw as a bonus. that wasn’t a super enticing package for 1080/1080 Ti owners.

if you were upgrading from a 10 series card it didn’t make much sense at the time (upgrading every generation rarely makes much sense) but Nvidia delivering on DLSS has absolutely made the 2080 a more attractive long term buy than most people thought at the time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Little PSA I guess:

Earlier this year I upgraded my aging computer to an AMD motherboard which happened to have on board video, that didn't get used in favour of the preexisting 4070 in the system. Ever since the upgrade Steam itself as well as Baldur's Gate 3 were both extremely slow to launch. Sometimes just sitting there for 30+ seconds doing nothing before starting up. I found a steam discussion thread of people with similar AMD systems having the same problem, some saying they fixed it by disabling the onboard video in device manager, though that didn't work for me. I finally just thought to install the AMD video drivers this morning and lo and behold - problem solved. How strange. I see people toward the end of the thread were also reporting the January AMD driver release fixing the issue for them too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MrYenko posted:

Gaming on a flat panel is native resolution or GTFO. DLSS looks like poo poo at 1440, though I don’t have a 4K display to test it on.

In my experience things fall in a range of

1. Not Worth it
2. Quality loss is made up for with what I can enable with my extra FPS budget
3. I hardly even notice DLSS so its free frames

Most games honestly fall somewhere in the 2-3 range, only a few games made me actually think DLSS was a waste. You do have a take a minute to try out the quality/balanced/performance, usually performance is pretty noticeable.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I find Performance to look like poo poo even at 4K, unless it's a game that involves very little camera movement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Profanity posted:

I find Performance to look like poo poo even at 4K, unless it's a game that involves very little camera movement.

There's been times where I feel its been worth it, noteably when it means enabling RT. But yeah, I am usually very aware DLSS is on in performance.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Dlss quality looks better than native taa in a fair amount of games.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah RT Reconstruction helps a lot with using Performance and RT together.

And yeah, DLSS Quality is usually sharper and resolves better than TAA, and gets rid of the awful TAA ghosting. DLAA Native is just pristine and beautiful, but really expensive.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's been a cold winter in the greater Seattle area and my two cats have seemingly permanently attached themselves to the exhaust fans on either side of the case. The 4090 is a surprisingly effective space heater.

Sometimes if I'm running errands or something I'll just load CP2077 with path tracing and dip out. Arrive back home with both of them on their backs splayed out. haha

Everything the light touches is his kingdom (which is currently a lot cuz its the middle of the day):

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 29, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squibbles posted:

Little PSA I guess:

Earlier this year I upgraded my aging computer to an AMD motherboard which happened to have on board video, that didn't get used in favour of the preexisting 4070 in the system. Ever since the upgrade Steam itself as well as Baldur's Gate 3 were both extremely slow to launch. Sometimes just sitting there for 30+ seconds doing nothing before starting up. I found a steam discussion thread of people with similar AMD systems having the same problem, some saying they fixed it by disabling the onboard video in device manager, though that didn't work for me. I finally just thought to install the AMD video drivers this morning and lo and behold - problem solved. How strange. I see people toward the end of the thread were also reporting the January AMD driver release fixing the issue for them too.

yeah I was hitting this, though disabling the iGPU in device manager definitely fixed it for me. the January drivers improved it a lot, but there’s definitely still a sub-second lag on starting the steam.exe process that isn’t there for other things I run. and I remain very curious about what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I use DLSS for VR, but even on quality, there is most definitely a graphics quality penalty, mostly on text or displays that are close to your face. That said, it’s a penalty absolutely worth paying, since it gives you a massive performance improvement at the same time.

DLSS looks better on 4K than on 1440p. If your stick to Balanced or Quality, I’d say it looks better than native 1440p on a 1440p monitor, assuming the 4K monitor is a good one. It’s just more pixels. Peak 4K is on a 27” panel, the PPI is just delightful.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I got a 3080 for sale if anyone is in the NE of NC/SE virginia area and wants to swing thru and buy it

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I was hitting this, though disabling the iGPU in device manager definitely fixed it for me. the January drivers improved it a lot, but there’s definitely still a sub-second lag on starting the steam.exe process that isn’t there for other things I run. and I remain very curious about what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes

Also bizarrely starting BG3 with the --skip-launcher command line option in steam didn't work before installing the AMD drivers. The game would try to launch then just exit with no errors. After installing the drivers now it works with no problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol ff7 rebirth uses non-integer nearest neighbour scaling in performance mode

bravo squeenix you've done it again