Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Weird-rear end thing for the Devils to do with their cap space rather than, you know, try to improve the team. I know they're 5 points out of the playoffs at this point but it seems a touch premature to just be packing it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
that devils thing has to play into an upcoming flames / devils deal. because I need that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
3 picks and a C prospect seems like a lot to give up for 10 weeks of Chris Tanev to me :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s even funnier than that

https://x.com/dallasstars/status/1763014186269872206?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

What a loving slam dunk for Dallas

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
very good trade for Dallas

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

Weird-rear end thing for the Devils to do with their cap space rather than, you know, try to improve the team. I know they're 5 points out of the playoffs at this point but it seems a touch premature to just be packing it in.

This is clearly not the only deal they're gonna do, this gives them an extra draft pick for asset leverage in other trades. It's a small amount of money and only through the end of the season.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dallas looks real good tbh

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Well at least it further strengthens another Western Conference team that isn't Edmonton.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Retaining 75% and not getting a 1st or a good prospect seems bad

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The condition on the 2026 3rd round pick is Dallas making it to the finals this year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Guess the rumours of it only taking a 2nd were true

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Thats a lot of trouble to go through to get a 4th round pick lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's only like 300k in real dollars

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The thread got super distracted by the Tanev trade, but I want to steer back to the PWHL playoff format.

I really like the "higher seed picks their opponent" thing and I wonder how that could play out in the NHL. Imagine the rivalries that could result... "You picked us because you think we'll be an easy win? gently caress you"

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Guess the rumours of it only taking a 2nd were true

iirc when the rumours started the line out of Toronto media was “since the Leafs don’t have a 2nd rounder this year Calgary would want a 1st” which I’m guessing broken telephone-d into “Calgary is asking for a first rounder” for some people. I guess in hindsight old, defense-only rentals don’t usually fetch a hole lot, sellers market or no

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zach Hyman has 40 goals lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jamwad Hilder posted:

very good trade for Dallas

I am reading this and I don't believe it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Shinjobi posted:

I am reading this and I don't believe it

basically everyone is saying it's a huge win for Dallas, and I agree. Nothing prospect, picks that don't matter, and they get a really solid defenseman + ensure that no one else in the west can get him. Also they got a prospect back from NJ right? Pretty good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will resist giving Jim Nill credit at all times, please understand

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The only real drag is that Dallas was already spoiled for old, slow, defensive d-men

They should be taking a swing for a mobile 2-way player

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

iirc when the rumours started the line out of Toronto media was “since the Leafs don’t have a 2nd rounder this year Calgary would want a 1st” which I’m guessing broken telephone-d into “Calgary is asking for a first rounder” for some people. I guess in hindsight old, defense-only rentals don’t usually fetch a hole lot, sellers market or no

Also when the Canucks traded for Lindholm, rumor was the Flames wanted a 1st to add Tanev in the deal.

Great trade for Dallas :sigh:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm not as high on Tanev as most so I'm not celebrating like this is some huge addition that will put the Stars over the top.. I still have significant concerns about alot of the people on the Stars playoff roster.

Grushnikov I wasn't that high on either.. He's one of those defense only prospects that you're hoping is the one Chris Tanev out of the couple dozen guys that never make the NHL cause they have no other dimension to their game. Some of the Dallas prospect guys I trust think that he is that Chris Tanev who's defensive hockey mind is that good that he's going to beat the odds and make a solid NHL career out of his skillset so I'll be cheering for him to do that for Calgary.

There was some push from those guys for Grushnikov to get the shot at the cup of coffee in the NHL when Hakanpaa and Lundkvist were both out the last couple weeks but the Stars ended up going for the AHL veterans instead.. but for his timeline (and I'm not sure what Calgary's prospect pool is like to make a good determination) I would think he would be ready for a look in a couple games sometime later this season and then you start him off in the AHL next year and hope he distinguishes himself enough down there to play his way onto the team as the season progresses.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 29, 2024

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Dallas did well enough here - add a decent piece at minimal cost. Calgary got something. The part I don't get is NJ cutting off their usable cap space this far out from the deadline. If they had nothing else cooking, and took this deal 15 mins before the deadline, yeah, sure, I get it. This just feels like a bad attempt at "we tried" because, no, no you didn't.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Can I just say how insane it is that the NHL now makes me watch 12 second ads for goal clips that are often less than that in length.

Adblock does not get rid of them sadly :(. This poo poo's making me not even wanna watch highlights. Has anyone figured out how to get their adblocker to actually block these because wtf

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Ginette Reno posted:

Can I just say how insane it is that the NHL now makes me watch 12 second ads for goal clips that are often less than that in length.

Adblock does not get rid of them sadly :(. This poo poo's making me not even wanna watch highlights. Has anyone figured out how to get their adblocker to actually block these because wtf

Are you watching on NHL.com? I usually just find highlights on YouTube and ublock / Adblock pro takes care of those

Also, good deal for Dallas

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

If your IP is from a country that's not US/Canada, there probably won't be an ad for you. Most of the time.

also I've noticed lately that nhl.com's game page would link these awful 10 second goal clips that are over before it even switches to HD, and you have to go into video to find the full-length ones :mad:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dtmts.com for anyone unaware.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Tagra posted:

The thread got super distracted by the Tanev trade, but I want to steer back to the PWHL playoff format.

I really like the "higher seed picks their opponent" thing and I wonder how that could play out in the NHL. Imagine the rivalries that could result... "You picked us because you think we'll be an easy win? gently caress you"

Which is why unless there’s a so obvious reason (oppositions starting goalie injured realm) teams are almost always going to pick the lowest seed.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

I've noticed that too but generally I'm opting to watch the full highlight video so it hasn't been a huge deal. Also it seems inconsistent? Like sometimes I have to watch an ad before every goal video, if I'm watching individual goals, and sometimes it just lets me play a few in a row without ads.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Avalanche beating the brakes off the Stars two nights ago forced Jim Nill's hand to give up some picks for a guy some are saying is not as good as Ryan Suter, and who should play five minutes fewer than Ryan Suter in the playoffs, if Pete DeBoer was smart

good trade, otherwise

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Dtmts.com for anyone unaware.

Much more enjoyable than actually watching the games when your team is tanking.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

the Avalanche beating the brakes off the Stars two nights ago forced Jim Nill's hand to give up some picks for a guy some are saying is not as good as Ryan Suter, and who should play five minutes fewer than Ryan Suter in the playoffs, if Pete DeBoer was smart

good trade, otherwise

Tanev is absolutely better than Suter currently. Suter was better at his peak. That was like 6-7 years ago.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Bard Maddox posted:

good trade, otherwise

anyone saying that about Tanev is loving brain dead

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

anyone saying that about Tanev is loving brain dead

Tanev is a 1st pairing guy on a bad team and a good 2nd pairing guy on a good team, Suter is basically hanging by a thread to his nhl career based off of formerly being good and his dad being really good for a few years, so on this we agree

Worth noting that mennoknight and I rarely agree on Flames roster stuff

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
to be fair, I am the one who's saying it, as I do not like the Dallas Stars, though I do think that Ryan Suter should play, oh, let's say 25 minutes a game in the playoffs

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ryan Suter should play in a toilet

In heck

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He does.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:mad:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He pretty much singlehandedly lost that critical games in the conference finals last year by being completely lost and facing the wrong way for 23+ mins a night. I'm not even confident he could eat 10 mins a night responsibly at this point. Between Harley Lindell and Haley or Miro on the left side they don't need him at all. He'll play 23 mins a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crazy to think he's making $10 million a year for this season and the next one