Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

That Pine Something skill that can apply bleed to multiple characters (and has a decent chance if all hits are on the same enemy) + the skill that does Extreme damage with a bonus to bleeding enemies does pretty good single-target damage.

In the late-game I found that my best damage was generally from magic, though (which is why I was asking about pure magic Lightning skills a while back). That seems to be the main non-Kiryu way I was outputting 2000+ damage regularly.

Here are the highlights that I found myself using a lot in the late-game:
- The large AoE water skill from Housekeeper
- The heavy damage single-target water skill that removes buffs, also from Housekeeper (IMO every lady character should level Housekeeper just to get the buff removal skill)
- Tomizawa is good just because Cab Driver is the only job with good lightning magic
- Host's single-target heavy damage fire attack that can apply both Charm and Burn seems like it might be the best single-target fire magic attack
- Seonhee's Assassin has the great lightning paralysis attacks, like Stentorian Whip or whatever
- Night Queen has a heavy-damage single-target lightning physical attack that reduces enemy defense

Kunoichi is a job that I found was really good earlier on, but later on just seems to have a bunch of "stuff that is just kind of decent"

Seonhee keeps kunoichi relevant thanks to her best armor and the firework attack is good all game, at least

e: also don't sleep on the Asakura skills, the final one does stupid damage even when it's condition isn't met

Digital Osmosis posted:

I’ve asked this before and I’ll ask it again until I make up my drat mind, but what job should I use for Ichiban? Hero seems kinda meh to me, both in terms of skills and final equipment. Chef, maybe? It keeps him having a high magic and physical attack at least. I really can’t decide!

Ichiban's ridiculous unique skills mean that he doesn't really need single-target offense so Hero actually works pretty well for him. Just grab a couple Samurai moves so he isn't entirely blunt-locked and you're set.

It mostly depends on what kinda character you want though. Keep in mind that if he dies it's game over and while the game isn't exactly hard that will come up once or twice if you're not hideously overleveled.

e: as an extremely boring person I keep everyone in their default jobs(Hero counts as a default to me) and level other jobs while going through the dungeon to expand their movesets

only flaw of this is that you can't really go hard on the ladies' magic jobs because they all love punching outside of Saeko's ice attacks

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Ytlaya posted:

That Pine Something skill that can apply bleed to multiple characters (and has a decent chance if all hits are on the same enemy) + the skill that does Extreme damage with a bonus to bleeding enemies does pretty good single-target damage.

In the late-game I found that my best damage was generally from magic, though (which is why I was asking about pure magic Lightning skills a while back). That seems to be the main non-Kiryu way I was outputting 2000+ damage regularly.

Here are the highlights that I found myself using a lot in the late-game:
- The large AoE water skill from Housekeeper
- The heavy damage single-target water skill that removes buffs, also from Housekeeper (IMO every lady character should level Housekeeper just to get the buff removal skill)
- Tomizawa is good just because Cab Driver is the only job with good lightning magic
- Host's single-target heavy damage fire attack that can apply both Charm and Burn seems like it might be the best single-target fire magic attack
- Seonhee's Assassin has the great lightning paralysis attacks, like Stentorian Whip or whatever
- Night Queen has a heavy-damage single-target lightning physical attack that reduces enemy defense

Kunoichi is a job that I found was really good earlier on, but later on just seems to have a bunch of "stuff that is just kind of decent"

I feel like an Aquanaut/Maid squad could have some real potential.

Final weapons are both ice and can apply ice weakness.
Dolphin Dive is heavy single target damage and applies ice weakness.
Solid ice AOE choices in Aquanat
Incredible AOE for Maid with Bubble Bale
Buff killer and single target damage for Maid with Scum Soap
And then even if enemies aren't specifically weak, the Aquanaut final suit all attacks ignore resistances.

Use bubble bales to open and then finish off stragglers with Dolphin Dives or Bourbon Busters from Desparado.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a finite amount of Part Time Rescue fights or do they randomly generate?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finite. the guy has, like, a single line of boring dialogue when you finish them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

e: also don't sleep on the Asakura skills, the final one does stupid damage even when it's condition isn't met

The Asakura skills are amazing and were Ichiban's main single-target DPS.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ytlaya posted:

The Asakura skills are amazing and were Ichiban's main single-target DPS.

So I am just now learning that Asakura is a real dude that was put in LAD8. I was wondering why they made such a big deal about him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

So I am just now learning that Asakura is a real dude that was put in LAD8. I was wondering why they made such a big deal about him.

and now you know why his voice work was so bad

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a finite amount of Part Time Rescue fights or do they randomly generate?

Finite and even combined with bar room chats and all remembrances they are not enough to get you to level 10 in all 3 areas. Going to have to do some completion list bucket list grinding

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:honk::honk:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Couple of circuits of honk honks will max you out pretty easily yeah

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

that guy had Actual Person written all over him, mostly because he got the superstar treatment while having no charisma whatsoever

well okay that's probably way too harsh, but his voice work sucked rear end lol. ol mumble mouth

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Finite and even combined with bar room chats and all remembrances they are not enough to get you to level 10 in all 3 areas. Going to have to do some completion list bucket list grinding

collecting weapons is an easy way to check a lot of those off, and taking a gourmet tour

you don't have to do many of them to max out after you've done the other stuff

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 29, 2024

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
asakuras techniques are strong so he has my blessing. Definitely overtakes the chef in 5 in terms of how hard they push the cameo though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my favorite cameo was that weird judo guy from kiwami. big ol dumbass who shows up and armbars people, fits right in

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Beat the game a few hours ago, did some clean up. Basically every aspect is like 1 or 2 points better than 7, with combat being like 4 points above. Story is rougher, though.
Ichiban's climax wasn't that satisfying, and it doesn't help that Bryce was immediately buried by Ebina, but they did the right call of leaving Ei-chan for just before the credits and having Ichiban prove how much of a good samaritan he is. But drat, so many people related to him, who bought into Ryo Aoki's bullshit, tried to revive Bleach Japan, and that whole segment is unrelated to Ichiban. I was really expecting Ichiban to try and bond with the villains through Masato.

Very, very glad with where the post-credits ended Kiryu. I also immediately put on the I LOVE SAEKO/I LOVE ICHIBAN t-shirt. loving Ichi went hard on that shirt, it's not some print on its texture is so shiny. It better show up in the next game with the vinyl cracked to poo poo.

I think the super short of it is that it's 4 very good games that are less than the sum of their parts... but gently caress, all the parts are still very good and being in them for so long was great each time. I wonder if Yagami will take a trip to Honolulu or maybe (Kaito Files) Kaito and his new family all just win a trip somehow

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I agree with basically all of your points. I'm so conflicted on the game just because I think we can all agree that the story is really loving messy and spends a lot of time spinning its wheels. But goddamn if I didn't find the game just fun to play.

I have had so much loving fun just running around Aloha-ing people and I've really enjoyed the combat. Like a lot. So much so that I have had multiple nights where I just spend hours in the dungeons loving around with the jobs and abilities.

I feel like, at this point, I need two different ranking lists for RGG games. Ranking by story and ranking by gameplay. They would be quite different lists imo.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

asakuras techniques are strong so he has my blessing. Definitely overtakes the chef in 5 in terms of how hard they push the cameo though

OISHIIIIIIII

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanna see Hidetoshi Nijishima in a Like Of Dragon

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

I looked him up and oh poo poo , he's the guy who fought Mayweather

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yakuza Kiwami is basically Kiryu wanders around and constantly fights Majima, I guess. I just started pocket racing and I'm guessing he will show up here. And I will probably have to bowl and dance against him. I wouldn't mind doing some karaoke with him, though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

Beat the game a few hours ago, did some clean up. Basically every aspect is like 1 or 2 points better than 7, with combat being like 4 points above. Story is rougher, though.
Ichiban's climax wasn't that satisfying, and it doesn't help that Bryce was immediately buried by Ebina, but they did the right call of leaving Ei-chan for just before the credits and having Ichiban prove how much of a good samaritan he is. But drat, so many people related to him, who bought into Ryo Aoki's bullshit, tried to revive Bleach Japan, and that whole segment is unrelated to Ichiban. I was really expecting Ichiban to try and bond with the villains through Masato.

Very, very glad with where the post-credits ended Kiryu. I also immediately put on the I LOVE SAEKO/I LOVE ICHIBAN t-shirt. loving Ichi went hard on that shirt, it's not some print on its texture is so shiny. It better show up in the next game with the vinyl cracked to poo poo.

I think the super short of it is that it's 4 very good games that are less than the sum of their parts... but gently caress, all the parts are still very good and being in them for so long was great each time. I wonder if Yagami will take a trip to Honolulu or maybe (Kaito Files) Kaito and his new family all just win a trip somehow

feels like they ran out of budget partway through so Ichiban kinda just spends the latter half of the game hanging out at Yamai's. Though you gently caress around with Yamai a lot, I think he's one short of Kuze's record for most times you fight the same dude in-story

also Kiryu direct impacting that one dude with a grenade is like the most Not Dead someone's ever been

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 29, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

🏝️ Thank you for supporting Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth 🏝️

Patch 1.17 is now available.

📋 PATCH NOTES:

· Fixed a Dondoko Island bug that caused the game to crash during a network upload whenever too much furniture was placed in Kasuga’s house.

· Fixed a checklist bug related to sending new equipment to the item box when the player’s inventory was full.

· Fixed a bug that caused Kiryu’s Awakening Level to be displayed inconsistently in the Pause Menu.

· Fixed a bug that prevented item-stealing skills from working under certain conditions.

· Fixed a Crazy Delivery bug that sometimes occurred during special jumps.

· Fixed a koi-koi bug in which there was a high probability that the cards dealt would be the same as the previous game.

· Correction of various typographical and localization issues.

· Various other bug fixes to improve stability and quality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

my favorite cameo was that weird judo guy from kiwami. big ol dumbass who shows up and armbars people, fits right in

My favorite is the steakhouse guy who they portray as the literal Jesus of restaurant CEOs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hwurmp posted:

and now you know why his voice work was so bad

You think that's bad? In the English dub he's voiced by Logan Paul

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

· Fixed a koi-koi bug in which there was a high probability that the cards dealt would be the same as the previous game.

*flips table* THAT'S WHY THAT rear end in a top hat KEPT DRAWING THE SAKE CUP

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Wait Tomi was still holding onto the unreleased Dwight blackmail video by the end of Chp 13? After he kidnapped a child and tried to kill them several more times??

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you don't wanna be dropping your only mafia peepants pic on the first child kidnapping

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

release the piss tape

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait Tomi was still holding onto the unreleased Dwight blackmail video by the end of Chp 13? After he kidnapped a child and tried to kill them several more times??

I thought the game had forgotten about that after the various later events, but then it suddenly brought it up again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The vocational school romance has got to be the best one again lmao this rules and I can't imagine the rest coming close
Ending spoilers wearing the I LOVE SAEKO during that poo poo was so loving perfect
Hope Ikari shows up in 9, I love to mess with him

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Beat IW.

Positives: there's a lot of em. Lots of mini games, none of them feel like they overstay their welcome or are super required, but if you put in the extra effort there's some nifty doodads for you. Characters are all great. Flat out, even the worst drink link has something to enjoy or laugh at. Joongi's drink link feels like it's poking fun at how late you get him, with his motivation being "everyone was having fun without me so screw that I'm here now." Never ran into any glitches or errors, which is nice. The franchise is safe in Ichiban's dumbass RPG hands, I feel. I will gladly take more action games though! The dub is good minus the elephant in the room. It's a big elephant though, so I alternated audio in between chapters once Kiryu split away. Combat upgraded in just about every way I wanted it to be. Item menu needs improvement, but if that's my big combat nitpick I'm doing good. Find a way to add variety to Breaker and Action Star, I want to love those goofy jobs.

Negatives: I know this might be a too spicy, but I truly believe this might be the dumbest story they've ever tried. It's frustrating too, since it really just comes down to fumbling the ball at the eleventh hour. The pacing being what it is, spinning wheels for as long as you do while being shown that your enemies are potentially everywhere and coordinated and organized and hooooooooly poo poo watch out!!!! Oh wait, this old bastard is half assing the one part of the plan that you really can't half rear end. It can't be overstated that you have done almost everything you need to do to get away with this ascension into evil superpower except for provide the appearance of a legitimate service for the thing that's opening the doors to more powers and connections. it's the "drat, you live like this???" meme revealed to you at the finish line. The opening flashback cutscene makes zero sense for 99.9% of the game, and when it finally makes sense it really doesn't matter. Who cares? Why does the trinket actually matter? Bryce....in a franchise with extremely dumb bad guys you skyrocketed up the ranks in an extremely short amount of screen time. It's amazing. I got legit mad Ichiban took his shirt off for that fight. He wasn't worth it.

Kiryu: I was going to play this game no matter what the plot was. I'll even go so far as to say I didn't expect Kiryu to play a major role in 8 after his cameo in 7, so when the trailers and promotional material are all "Kiryu and Ichiban team up" and the revelation about his cancer and how this is his last ride, I feel like the game was writing emotional checks that it quite frankly did not seem interested in cashing. Date is good. The remembrance parts of exploration were good. Only getting to actually meet and interact with Akiyama and no one else was...absolute horseshit. You bring Kaoru back for a scene that amounts to "hi I'm here, lol back to the void I go" and then chicken poo poo out of the Haruka scene twice. This following so soon after Gaiden? It's an extremely sour point with me, and a bizarre unforced error when everything else was really cool. Nostalgia as a gameplay mechanic, especially for a franchise that's drat near 20 years old now, was nifty.

That all said, 10/10 game of the year. Sit down Cloud, Ichiban will reform Sephiroth and make it look fuckin easy.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 29, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I loved the "twist" in the Joongi Drink Link.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

it's weird because he specifically calls attention to it. like i could buy if he just forgot, people in these games can't remember if someone had a gun 5 seconds ago

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Alright, I just hit the Finale. I've already cleaned out the beach recycling shop. What's the best way for me to get 5 shark fins so I can get everyone's ultimate weapon?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

Alright, I just hit the Finale. I've already cleaned out the beach recycling shop. What's the best way for me to get 5 shark fins so I can get everyone's ultimate weapon?

In terms of time spent, probably fishing. Very tedious and boring, though.

The rate seems to be somewhere in the ballpark of 1/30 (for either a fin or squid tentacle).

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
There's zero chance it'll happen, but I hold out hope that the next game can include Kiryu doing a tell-all interview with Tatara-Chan.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Because it involves her Vtuber identity?

they could have done it without that and it would have been no different.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lad9 should be ichiban and kiryu chapter swapping from the get go where you get ichiban's crime drama plot stuff and then kiryu's is just the first half of yakuza 3 for the whole game, nothing but chill and good vibes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

lad9 should be ichiban and kiryu chapter swapping from the get go where you get ichiban's crime drama plot stuff and then kiryu's is just the first half of yakuza 3 for the whole game, nothing but chill and good vibes

No more Kiryu, no more chapter swapping, we need to accept that Ichiban is the new protagonist. I don't want any more games watered down with chapters that have like nothing to do in them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Canadian PlayStation players gogogo!

https://x.com/Lbabinz/status/1763178611400392945?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

No more Kiryu, no more chapter swapping, we need to accept that Ichiban is the new protagonist. I don't want any more games watered down with chapters that have like nothing to do in them

Ichiban / Yamai :getin:

tbh protagonist Yamai would probably require some clumsy retcons