Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

If SCOTUS rules in favor of Trump, doesn't that mean Biden can just start assassinating people?

I think Biden should actually go on some talk show and jokingly state that if he’s already issued the order that if SCOTUS rules that Presidents are immune to criminal prosecution then seal team six is going to shoot Thomas and Alito.

Let them stew on that for two months while they prepare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

small butter posted:

Is there any charitable reading of why the Supreme Court would take up the Trump immunity case?

No there is not.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

small butter posted:

Is there any charitable reading of why the Supreme Court would take up the Trump immunity case?

They can both delay the cases some (good for Trump) and tell Trump he does not have presidential immunity (good for them).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wasn't Smith the one that wanted SCOTUS to settle this once and for all?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

I think Biden should actually go on some talk show and jokingly state that if he’s already issued the order that if SCOTUS rules that Presidents are immune to criminal prosecution then seal team six is going to shoot Thomas and Alito.

Let them stew on that for two months while they prepare.

I'd honestly have this thrown into arguments before the court. Just make it as blunt as possible what the possible ramifications are.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My charitable reading is they are just planning on delaying his cases long enough for him to get his shot at winning the election and that they have no intention of actually saying the president is can crime all he wants.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

cr0y posted:

Yeah like 2 months ago and they declined.

This is some bullshit and there is no justification for them not just saying "no this is settled law, see US v Nixon and kindly gently caress off forever"

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

cr0y posted:

i believe yes, because otherwise the option would be available for trump's attorneys to slow-roll it up each step of the appellate process and jack smith short circuited it with "well lets just cut to the ending and let the highest court in the land decide it"

Craig K fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 29, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nitrousoxide posted:

My charitable reading is they are just planning on delaying his cases long enough for him to get his shot at winning the election and that they have no intention of actually saying the president is can crime all he wants.

Yeah, it’s this. If he loses, they can rule he has no immunity and he goes to jail at some point during Biden’s second term. If he wins, they can rule he has no immunity but there’s no one left to prosecute him anyway. They aren’t going to save him by ruling that presidents can do infinite crimes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

small butter posted:

It's an unprecedented, fundamental constitutional issue, however silly it may seem. The SC wants to put their own stamp on it rather than just letting a lower court's opinion stand.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Why would it be harder to get someone to pay after they lose their appeal, than after they lose the initial judgment? I’m not following that part.

Because they might have a harder time paying after they've spent a bunch more money on lawyering for the appeal, and possibly faced other lawsuits or fines or consequences that might happen while the appeal is going on.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

small butter posted:

Doesn't letting the appeal court stand keep it as precedent only for that court's area, while an SC ruling sets precedent nationwide?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Because they might have a harder time paying after they've spent a bunch more money on lawyering for the appeal, and possibly faced other lawsuits or fines or consequences that might happen while the appeal is going on.

Yeah it's a way to prevent a Jarndyce v. Jarndyce situation, it guarantees the judgment actually benefits the plaintiffs instead of just enriching lawyers until there's nothing left

cr0y posted:

He asked to skip the DC circuit of appeals because he knew Trump was going to appeal to SCOTUS with his his immunity argument, but they refused. DC circuit predictably ruled against Trump so now it's back to SCOTUS having wasted a few months (lightning speed as appeals go)

small butter posted:

This is a historical constitutional question, and they want to put their stamp on the decision, and unambiguously make it a nationwide decision.

Even giving them this benefit of the doubt, to do this they're still willing to jeopardize the republic instead of 1) deciding the question right away like Smith requested 2) allowing the DC circuit decision to stand by denying cert 3) potentially taking longer than the election renders the question moot

That's the charitable reading. More likely it will be this:

Nitrousoxide posted:

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it’s this. If he loses, they can rule he has no immunity and he goes to jail at some point during Biden’s second term. If he wins, they can rule he has no immunity but there’s no one left to prosecute him anyway. They aren’t going to save him by ruling that presidents can do infinite crimes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Didn't Legal Eagle point out that it was kinda irregular or kinda unprecedented to just skip to SCOTUS like that? I got the sense it isn't outrageous for SCOTUS to want to wait for it to make its proper path through the lower courts first?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Didn't Legal Eagle point out that it was kinda irregular or kinda unprecedented to just skip to SCOTUS like that? I got the sense it isn't outrageous for SCOTUS to want to wait for it to make its proper path through the lower courts first?

I think so but like everyday is unprecedented anymore so 🤷‍♂️

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

BDawg posted:

I’m sure the USSC will pull a Bush v. Gore and say it only applies to this specific circumstance.

Doesn't matter so much if he uses Seal Team Six to off half the court and replace them with people who'll say it applies to him too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cr0y posted:

I think so but like everyday is unprecedented anymore so 🤷‍♂️

I tell ya, I could really go for some precedented times.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The problem these days is that our stare ain’t got no decisis no more!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

small butter posted:

The law folks I saw (This was prior to today, I must stress) said that in terms of legal discussion not really, but that in terms of wanting to affirm that this is Really Super Serious Settled Law by issuing a ruling from the highest court in the land and stomping on Trump's nonsense arguments once and for all, with the same rule applied nationwide, there is a degree of validity.

However, this relies on the idea that the Court is going to rule against Trump and do so in a timely manner. So you may draw your own conclusions on exactly how charitable you'd need to be to accept this.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So what do you think Jack Smith thinks about this?

1. Do you think he would have rather the Supreme Court take it up or let the lower ruling stand?

2. Do you think that his main issue is the rather late timing?

3. Can the ruling actually be quick?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

small butter posted:

So what do you think Jack Smith thinks about this?

1. Do you think he would have rather the Supreme Court take it up or let the lower ruling stand?

2. Do you think that his main issue is the rather late timing?

3. Can the ruling actually be quick?

1. He wanted the SCOTUS to take it up and rule, but he wanted it done awhile ago because he anticipated this would occur. So

2. Probably yes, it's... difficult to believe that even this Supreme Court would actually rule that the President is entirely permitted to commit crimes as a function of his office. At that point even the thinnest, most pathetically transparent fig leaf of the rule of law has been abolished and if nothing else I don't think (most of) these people want to eliminate the power of their own positions and institution. However, loving up some or all of the trials simply by running out the clock? That's a hell of a lot more palatable to them. Smith knows that the trials need to be done and dusted before the election and Trump's so manifestly, cataclysmically guilty that his entire strategy is to delay.

3. It can. It's exceedingly difficult to believe it will, but there's no inherent bar to it barreling down the tracks at 300 mph, and there have certainly been cases in history where things have been ruled on very quickly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sure, if it were a normal case and there were actual arguments to be decided. However there was no way Trump wasn't going to appeal this all the way and his argument is one hair about, "But I want to crime!" Also it's a Presidential powers issue that's pretty much the picture of a This is a case for the Supreme Court thing.

Maybe the court actually will do a quick turn around and just wants enough time to hear arguments and release their, "gently caress no, dip poo poo" opinion. The more likely option however is it's just Roberts, Gorsich, Kavinaugh, and Bryant's way of trying to delay things enough to get their President Trump cake while being able to shake their heads and tut about the rule of law.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

small butter posted:

To give a definitive answer to the dangerous question of presidential immunity.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gyges posted:

Maybe the court actually will do a quick turn around

[court starts groaning and turning slower than venus] ooooooohhhhhhhwffffffffff gotta do this properleeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy theres formssssssss u have to fillllllllllll ouuuuuuuuuutttttttthhhhhggggggghhhhhh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In order to do things properly and allow time for the decision to be made unrushed, the court will hear arguments one word per day.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
lol

*decides Bush v. Gore in like two weeks*

Well now we can't be too quick about these kinds of things have to take our time you see yep gotta go real slow juuuuust slow enough to get past this next election whoa wait what who said that what a coincidence gee how'd that happen weird.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
gently caress going slow. Look pretty sure everyone has the next hour free, supreme court just bang this one out. You all know how you're going to vote, just do a show of hands then bang the drat gavel to make it so, or whatever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So why hasn't the immunity appeal also stopped the Georgia case? Has that argument simply not been filed yet in the Georgia matter?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

However, this relies on the idea that the Court is going to rule against Trump and do so in a timely manner. So you may draw your own conclusions on exactly how charitable you'd need to be to accept this.

If the court decides 7-2 that Trump isn't immune, all it takes is for Thomas or Alito to just not write a loving dissent and that effectively stonewalls things indefinitely.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So why hasn't the immunity appeal also stopped the Georgia case? Has that argument simply not been filed yet in the Georgia matter?

McAfee already ruled that this doesn't come under his official acts as president, so I guess he would have to appeal to Georgia's SC? Which he might have to do later maybe?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tesseraction posted:

In order to do things properly and allow time for the decision to be made unrushed, the court will hear arguments one word per day.

Letting,

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I am beginning to agree with a poster who described Trump as demonically blessed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No no no! The court ruled in gently caress v. You that a comma is itself an entire word. The court will hold a one month recess to sort out this irregularity.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

99pct of germs posted:

I am beginning to agree with a poster who described Trump as demonically blessed.

Nah, no need to bring demons or anything in to this. It's just what happens when an entire society has been restructured around protecting the wealthy elite at the expense of everyone and everything else. Trump's getting a free ride because he's in the club and the club protects its own.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tesseraction posted:

McAfee already ruled that this doesn't come under his official acts as president, so I guess he would have to appeal to Georgia's SC? Which he might have to do later maybe?

Ah, ok..

Well, I hope wade and fani don't gently caress things up any further, either literally or figuratively

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

99pct of germs posted:

I have two literary examples that keep popping up in my head:

1) a sci-fi trilogy I enjoy where one element of the plot is that one character, and only one, discovered the power to travel back in time so he can fix his mistakes, and he does this over and over for centuries until he's finally fixed all of his society's major ills. Although in this comparison, Trump travels back only to enrich himself further and get out of jams and probably to kick a dog or child every now and then.

2) a sci-fi short story by either Clarke or Asimov where two characters are walking along in the woods, discussing the concept of infinite realities. One remarks "so there's a universe where you and I are walking along and then at the next turn a lion springs out and kills us?" The other responds "yes, that's basically it - in one universe out of a billion everything's the same, except that happens! Crazy!" And then they walk around the next turn and discover that they're in that universe. That's us, we're in the one universe stupid enough to let him have any degree of means and power.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

If the court decides 7-2 that Trump isn't immune, all it takes is for Thomas or Alito to just not write a loving dissent and that effectively stonewalls things indefinitely.
The legal analysts hyperventilating about this last night on MSNBC said SCOTUS can go ahead and issue the ruling without waiting for dissents to be written. Can, not Will.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sarcastro posted:

1) a sci-fi trilogy I enjoy where one element of the plot is that one character, and only one, discovered the power to travel back in time so he can fix his mistakes, and he does this over and over for centuries until he's finally fixed all of his society's major ills. Although in this comparison, Trump travels back only to enrich himself further and get out of jams and probably to kick a dog or child every now and then.

Peter F Hamilton if I'm not mistaken. Every one of his his 10,000 page per book Science Fiction trilogies have universe melting plots that then get solved in the last 2 pages by fantasy magic.

To be fair, the character that goes back in time is then worshiped by a cult that wants to destroys the universe....uh oh.

We seem to be living in a Reality Dysfunction. When the dead rise from the grave, make you sure vote for Al Capone.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Comstar posted:

Peter F Hamilton if I'm not mistaken. Every one of his his 10,000 page per book Science Fiction trilogies have universe melting plots that then get solved in the last 2 pages by fantasy magic.

To be fair, the character that goes back in time is then worshiped by a cult that wants to destroys the universe....uh oh.

Yep, that's parts 3-5 of that series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Staluigi posted:

[court starts groaning and turning slower than venus] ooooooohhhhhhhwffffffffff gotta do this properleeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy theres formssssssss u have to fillllllllllll ouuuuuuuuuutttttttthhhhhggggggghhhhhh

Meanwhile watch them fall over themselves to rule that Illinois can't exclude Trump from the primary ballot.