Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

American McGay posted:

I thought the literal only selling point of the Pro this year was that it was titanium and therefor considerably lighter.

It was that it was titanium and therefore looked cool. It's heavy to my hand too but I'm coming from an SE2 so it would be weird if it wasn't heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I attributed it to last using a 12 mini and also being correct. Phones should not be this large or massive.

That camera tho

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I've had my 15 pro for a bit now and I've settled on two things I really don't like about it: it's very heavy for a phone of its size, and the lack of a bezel of any sort means it accidentally hit things on the screen edges constantly by the way I hold it. Never thought I'd miss a bezel but here I am.
I’ve literally been saying this about bezels for years but all the moron techtubers want no bezels so now so does everyone else :shrug:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My case is my bezel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The 15 pro max is definitely still heavy at ~half a pound naked. As someone always on the brink of wrist problems from work and hobbies (photographer and mountain biking) I've started making a conscious effort of how much I'm in the normal "holding my phone with one hand" position. I definitely feel strain if I zone out holding it on a plane or on a long car ride or something. I think the width makes the weight distribution worse than if that were all comfortable in your palm or whatever.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

smackfu posted:

My case is my bezel.

My voice is my password.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve literally been saying this about bezels for years but all the moron techtubers want no bezels so now so does everyone else :shrug:

Same. I think some of the techtubers are starting to catch on, but not enough and not quickly enough.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone else like those Sinjimoru MagSafe holders? I don’t really like the similar popsockets and this relieved a bit of strain for me. https://a.co/d/4n0vDgq

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tuyop posted:

Anyone else like those Sinjimoru MagSafe holders? I don’t really like the similar popsockets and this relieved a bit of strain for me. https://a.co/d/4n0vDgq

I don’t know but I tried the Ohsnap 4, and I didn’t like it. My finger is just too fat, and I gave it to my wife. So I bought about $20 worth of various ones from AliExpress and they should get here in two weeks. One of those should work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SettingSun posted:

I've had my 15 pro for a bit now and I've settled on two things I really don't like about it: it's very heavy for a phone of its size, and the lack of a bezel of any sort means it accidentally hit things on the screen edges constantly by the way I hold it. Never thought I'd miss a bezel but here I am.

I handled a 12 Pro quite a bit last week to use as a spare camera to film something, and it struck me how heavy it was in comparison!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quackles posted:

My voice is my password.

You can verify me any time ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quackles posted:

My voice is my password.

Glad there’s someone else with the same exact brain damage as me on here.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My last phone was an 8+ but I can't really recall how heavy it was. I'm holding my 15 pro now and my thoughts just turn to how heavy it feels compared to how small it is.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The 8+ was 15g heavier than the 15 Pro but you’ve got nearly half an inch more screen real estate plus tiny bezels.

I ended up going with a 14 because some crazy person was selling it for $300, has a few scratches but I really like the size. Would have preferred a mini one but the battery life can’t be great anymore.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I gave in and faced the bloodshed of the 15 pro max and yeah its not as comfortable as my XR in terms of weight/hand feel but the upsides offset it pretty quickly

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I make a calendar event repeat like "every month on the 16th except if it's a weekend then do it the Friday before"?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think you can get that granular unfortunately. You'd have to just quickly jog through the upcoming year/years/however much time you can afford to put into this, and set up ad-hoc events if you see it happen to fall on a weekend.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What's the use case? Could you get away with something like "The second friday of every month"?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Probably gotta build a script on a computer and then sync the events

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/CalendarScriptingGuide/index.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dave posted:

What's the use case? Could you get away with something like "The second friday of every month"?

I'm not OP but I can imagine a scenario where if I have rent due on the 16th of every month, I could have a lease that says "if it's a weekend then your rent is due the previous Friday". I'd reasonably want to see that reflected in my calendar.

Depending on how flexible the actual use case is, that "second Friday" thing is probably how I'd end up accomplishing it as "close enough".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

My case is my bezel.

AppleCare is my bezel.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Jeff Bezels

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Create an automatic shortcut that creates reminder once a month with an if-then statement? IDK if this is possible to do lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Set the reminder for every month on the 14th instead *taps head*

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Dave posted:

Use case is I have a thing that can only be done on a business day and if the date falls on a weekend I want to do it on the Friday before. No second Friday doesn't work.

I think I can make a shortcut to trigger every 1st of the month to add the event but I just honestly thought this would be a somewhat common-ish use case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t remember if ICS can express that, but I suspect that it might because it sounds like the sort of thing that the group defining recurrences would want to represent

if so, then you could try crafting an ICS segment of a recurring task that matched, and see if you can import it on a Mac via something?

then it’s down to whether the implementing engineer did the whole spec, or just the parts exposed in the UI

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Subjunctive posted:

AppleCare is my bezel.

Jobs, take the PopSocket.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Re: my posts earlier on shrinking some video file sizes.

Using Shortcut's built-in video conversion I took 35 of my recent videos and converted them from 4K 60fps HEVC to, well, 4K 60fps HEVC. Watching the converted ones back I see no difference in quality. However I was able to get the combined file size from 14,370.9 MB to just 4,846.5 MB! I'm sure there's some minor drop in bitrate if I went super deep on it, but averaging at around a third of the original file size is worth it.

The next part is a bit slow, but it seems like you can long-press to manually copy and paste the time and location metadata from one video to another so I might just do that on a quiet day and delete the originals. Shame I can’t automate that part of the process but at least it’s faster than fully typing in every address and time! The only thing I’m losing is the camera/lens information which is a shame - unless someone knows a way to copy that stuff over too?

Full quality: https://share.icloud.com/photos/00fjBcUd5PUYDhX8qAAyvfH5Q

Shrunk: https://share.icloud.com/photos/00fjBcUd5PUYDhX8qAAyvfH5Q

Honestly, the drop in file size is so good for no visible loss in quality that I wish Apple would include it as an option to automatically compress large videos overnight when the phone is on charge.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I managed to overheat my 15 Pro, turns out having it connected to a magsafe charging mount while using apple maps for nav and streaming youtube music at the same time generates too much heat. Luckily I was able to just stick the aircon on freezing cold for a bit as it's on a vent mount.

Funnily it didn't shut off completely it just turned on the lockscreen with a notification and still showed the next direction in the dynamic island. I've had other iphones overheat so badly that they just stop working completely but that was using them for nav in hotter countries.

I have carplay in my other car but I guess I'm going to have to get a carplay HU for this one

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The 15 pro/max is poo poo at heat management while charging. Mine still does that once a month average even with the screen off and no apps running in the background.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like an idiot with this basic rear end question, but how do I get my alarms to work on an iPhone 15 pro?

On Saturday I got aforementioned iPhone 15 pro, this morning was the first morning I was expecting to wake up to my alarm, but it didn’t go off, and I can’t figure out why

I have the alarm set the way I’ve had it set for the last, like, decade

I have my alerts turned up, and they can’t be turned down by the buttons. The phone is on silent, but this menu suggests that the alarm is unaffected by that

And with all this set, my Lock Screen still says the alarm is off

I did set an alarm for a minute or so in the future and that worked just fine.

What am I missing here?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You don’t have any focus modes or anything that go on during that time do you?

Silent won’t affect the alarm since I’ve been having my phone on silent for years with no alarm trouble.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

track day bro! posted:

I managed to overheat my 15 Pro, turns out having it connected to a magsafe charging mount while using apple maps for nav and streaming youtube music at the same time generates too much heat.

woah we got a power user here. not a commonly tested use case

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I feel like an idiot with this basic rear end question, but how do I get my alarms to work on an iPhone 15 pro?

On Saturday I got aforementioned iPhone 15 pro, this morning was the first morning I was expecting to wake up to my alarm, but it didn’t go off, and I can’t figure out why

I have my alerts turned up, and they can’t be turned down by the buttons. The phone is on silent, but this menu suggests that the alarm is unaffected by that

What am I missing here?

To further complicate things, I just set an alarm for 2:45PM today, and now it shows on my lockscreen that I have an alarm at that time. It doesnt like that recurring 5:45am alarm for some reason?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

woah we got a power user here. not a commonly tested use case

I think it's just the magsafe charging because I've done exactly the same thing in my other car with wireless carplay but the phone is charging via usb. I thought I could do without carplay in this car because it doesn't get used that much but thinking it might be nice to have it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What am I missing here?

Are you sure that Lock Screen alarm is referring to the 5:45am alarm and not the "sleep" alarm, which is off?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Actually I don't know what that next alarm thing does. I just added it to my lock screen and it also says off.

But my sleep alarm goes off at 6am every morning, and all my normal alarms are turned off right now.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What am I missing here?

Click into the alarm, what is the Sound setting set to?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you sure that Lock Screen alarm is referring to the 5:45am alarm and not the "sleep" alarm, which is off?

If I set a regular non-sleep alarm, it shows on the lock screen

Weaponized Autism posted:

Click into the alarm, what is the Sound setting set to?

Like the specific sound? Arpeggio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What am I missing here?

There's some weirdness with it that looks like nobody knows exactly why but they have some theories. There's an odd issue where under battery it may show it's not charging in the middle of the night that has prevented alarms from working properly. There's possible unrelated settings like attention aware, or standby mode. Some people are having luck with restarting their phones or turning off the aforementioned functions. Basically :iiam:

If it's some weird conflict from the new phone setup you can always try deleting and recreating your alarms. Also it might help to specifically allow notifications for alarms under the sleep focus settings.