Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Joe Fisto posted:

Duke #3 is good. This Energon Universe is off to a good start.

It's very good. It's almost crazy in fact how good this is going. I mean, Duke? The boy scout? The guy people found so dull as dishwater they made him into a cobra double agent in a DDP Joe series a decade back? They need to make a Classified version of his look here, the scruffy non clean cut version. People would like that. Hell I would.

Void Rivals
Transformers
Cobra Commander
Duke

Each has been shockingly good so far without a single stinker between them.

My expectations were kind of middle of the road for this whole thing, so far it's proven so far above expectations it can be hard to process happening.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

The Last Call posted:

Looks like he jacked someone elses body and stuck his head onto it.

It's a Nedry thing to do.

They'd need a complete different character for that feature.

How soon we forget Briefly Jacked Wayne Knight.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

funtax posted:

How soon we forget Briefly Jacked Wayne Knight.

I always love seeing when folks get in shape like this.

You can tell the look on their face is so genuine and heart felt.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

The Last Call posted:

They'd need a complete different character for that feature.

The original Nedry figure had that feature. :eng101:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Talk that poo poo now, Seinfeld

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Shiftypenguin posted:

The original Nedry figure had that feature. :eng101:

What?!

But it's the wrong character!

He should have had gunk in his eyes.

Dinosaur gunk! Spat right at him.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

The Last Call posted:

What?!

But it's the wrong character!

He should have had gunk in his eyes.

Dinosaur gunk! Spat right at him.

The toys took a LOT of liberties with the source material...

They were awesome. :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiftypenguin posted:

The toys took a LOT of liberties with the source material...

They were awesome. :allears:

To this day, if I ever decided to get a tattoo it would be of the classic combined JP toy emblem.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Whenever I have to initial something at work I merge the letters like the JP toy logo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

Whenever I have to initial something at work I merge the letters like the JP toy logo.

My work’s logo is 2 letters merged and they recently rebranded into a new font and it absolutely is the JP font and I’m convinced that the advertising/marketing agency that designed the logo did it on purpose.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Got a link?

Your favorite retailer for third party knockoffs should have em. Tnsfigures is my go to.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Tomorrow more GI Classified figures go on pre order:

Did someone say new packaging?

A reminder she is not only a Arashikage ninja, a covert spy but she also defeated Ryu and Bison in a street fighting competition making her a world champion! She can even utilize the famed Raging Demon aka Shun Goku Satsu, or stright up translated as Instant Prison Murder. No I will not stop mentioning this, fight me!

And one more of Doc because he's so god drat cool:

PS: Skybound(the imprint making the current Joe and Transformers comics) will be reprinting the complete Marvel GI Joe in Omnibus formats, the first shall contain issues 1 - 50

Strongly rumored to being revealed or named include Drednoks Road Pig and Heartwrencher. She was a character from the DDP GI Joe era. Also expect the Cobra Ferret(ATV and driver) or the Tiger Force version of it. Three months later the other should pop up as going on pre order ala Trouble Bubble.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Oh neat, Amazon Oz already has them up, and the whole wave this time too. No inexplicably missing character this time around. The recently-ish left and replaced brand manager at Hasbro Aus who was doing the same poo poo with Transformers, must have also been the one handling GI Joe as well

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Finally!

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1763147136651465153

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Jinx defeating Ryu and Akuma, and mastering the Shun Goku Satsu, is up there with The Doctor dumping Death's Head on the Baxter Building roof, and Stormwatch all getting merked by Aliens as my favourite bit of weird crossover shenanigans.

That Spider-Punk looks wonderful but I'm probably gonna hold out for the Sentinel. Likewise the Mafex Ahsoka over the Bandai one. Glad to see Ben Reilly is getting a reissue, I regret passing on him originally as every review I saw after made him look wonderful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

That Spider-Punk looks wonderful but I'm probably gonna hold out for the Sentinel.

Have Sentinel said anything about having the ATSV licence?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
They're only just finishing up the first film now (am literally about to pop to the postie to pick up Noir!), so I'm hopeful they're going to move on to the next one anon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Figuarts’ Ahsoka looks way better than the Mafex. It helps that Figuarts’ is based on her show appearance rather than the Mandalorian appearance. The colors and articulation cuts look much better too. The Mafex’s articulation cuts look way too prominent.

It’s good that both companies are making figures to push each other to do better. Mafex’s Mando is much better than the Figuarts, but Figuarts’ Vader and Luke are much better than Mafex.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Even more Sons of Horus coming

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They're getting increasingly closer to the Night Lords and that's concerning my wallet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only Warhammer I know is Celestine because she's a good MTG card.

And also I assume it's not based on the Catholic saint, but St. Katherine is just funny because her shrine is a few minutes away from me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1762933320600416678

I'm glad Duke can come out of his coma now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

They're getting increasingly closer to the Night Lords and that's concerning my wallet.

Are you hoping for Heresy-era Night Lords or 40k Night Lords?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Are you hoping for Heresy-era Night Lords or 40k Night Lords?

The 40K ones have all the cool bat stuff but I would not be immune to the 30K Terror Squad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nanigans posted:

Figuarts’ Ahsoka looks way better than the Mafex. It helps that Figuarts’ is based on her show appearance rather than the Mandalorian appearance. The colors and articulation cuts look much better too. The Mafex’s articulation cuts look way too prominent.

It’s good that both companies are making figures to push each other to do better. Mafex’s Mando is much better than the Figuarts, but Figuarts’ Vader and Luke are much better than Mafex.

I generally prefer the SHF SW stuff but hard disagree on Ahsoka, the faces look a lot worse and I don't like how they've done the knees at all.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wow. I feel the exact opposite. I think the Mafex faces look so soft and almost pastel, and they’re stuck using the shorter lekku. And the articulation cuts on Mafex look awful. Figuarts opted for something a bit more like the Black Series’ knees that look especially good in a standing pose, while Mafex has these giant balls where her kneecaps go. Ah, well. Diff’rent strokes.

Mafex:

Figuarts:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 29, 2024

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Nah, I don't dig that kind of approach to baggy pants knees (see also Medicom's new Boba), just looks goofy to me. And I prefer the more neutral expression on the Medicom one, the Bandai one looks like her cat just pissed on her chips and there's a bit of a fivehead going on.

It's fine, we're fated to not see eye-to-eye on some of these, like that hideous corpse face Luke you dig. Just uh-uh, no way man, I'll take a softer likeness over that abomination any day. The skin tone, those dead eyes!* Total "wise fwom your gwave" poo poo, Yoda must have had that dude chilling in the swamp too long or something. Genuinely don't get how anyone finds that goon acceptable but we've all got options so yay. I might still suck it up and go with Bandai anyway just for scale purposes, need to see how tall the other Ahsoka turns out as they often skew bigger.

* To be fair, I suppose it is based on the CGI Luke so it's kinda accurate in that regard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Mafex do a Clone Wars (or Rebels) era Ahsoka?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Nah, I think this is the first time any of the Japanese firms are doing her/any of the Clone Wars bods. I’d love it if either of them would do young Ahsoka, Rex, Ventress, dual wielding murder bastard Sheev, etc. Guess there’s chance for CW Anakin given his recent live action appearance.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
SHF Luke looks great and I think most people agree. The skin tone is pale but my man lives in space. A figure so nice I bought it twice. I’m still getting the Mattel Mafex Luke, but that hood is staying up on that Ken Doll.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Luke's from a planet with 2 suns.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That he hated and avoided ever going back to after saving Han lol

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

It would be a trip to see the Street Fighter GI Joe line done in the style of the new GI Joe figs.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
There was that TMNT vs Street Fighter line recently, so I don't think the rights to SF would be too hard for Hasbro to get for theose figures.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I can see it happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45Kh3UoCcc

GI Joe stream. Started half an hour ago.

https://twitter.com/JediJaybird/status/1763090970776596732

Name-only reveals:
- SAW Viper (Goes great with Doc)
- Dial-tone

Digital renders:
- Retro Beachhead
- Retro Cobra EEL
- Retro Snow Serpent
- Cobra Ferret and Cobra Ferret Scout

Shiftypenguin posted:

There was that TMNT vs Street Fighter line recently, so I don't think the rights to SF would be too hard for Hasbro to get for theose figures.

That and there were literally was a decent Street Fighter line made reusing GI Joe figures, sets and vehicles in ye ol past.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Jinx's polearm being slightly bent in the promo packaging is just :discourse:

It's also the first time in a bit where I'm very tempted by a whole wave. I wish Doc had a more detailed medkit even if none of them were removable parts.

poo poo, I'm gonna need a couple of those retro Snow Serpents too. They were one of my absolute favorites from the 25th anniversary line.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Emily gave us a extra name drop, Frag Vipers!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw yeah, *that's* my boy Beach Head. Probably pick up the Snow Serpent too. Loving the Ferret, and looking forward to Dial-Tone, he (or she if they wanna shake it up a bit and go with the modern movie version) was always my fav radio jockey.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shiftypenguin posted:

It’d be pretty rad if Hasbro released a Marvel vs. Capcom Legends line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw yeah, *that's* my boy Beach Head. Probably pick up the Snow Serpent too. Loving the Ferret, and looking forward to Dial-Tone, he (or she if they wanna shake it up a bit and go with the modern movie version) was always my fav radio jockey.

Guessing the original.

Can always do the second later on.

As long as people keep buying they'll get to it.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/g-i-joe-classified-series-126-tiger-force-roadblock-trip-wire-m-a-c-l-e-o-d?variant=40803949871206

For those who want the Tiger Force Roadblock and Trip Wire.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 29, 2024