Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Do windows laptops with arm processors allow you to disable secure boot?

we should try to find out the moment a single one gets sold

(depends on the oem for sure, and i certainly don't trust the oems to do anything right. taking from oems loving things up "if only the technology to do things wrong didn't exist" is a galaxy-brained level of viewing everything as a technology problem though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

omg awesome it's in portage already

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

Do windows laptops with arm processors allow you to disable secure boot?

yes

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

https://www.armbian.com/lenovo-x13s/

mystes
May 31, 2006

Interesting. The windows 8 hardware certification requirements said this which seems to indicate that arm laptops were not allowed to permit secure boot to be disabled at that time:

https://web.archive.org/web/2012021...ents-system.pdf

I guess they must have backed off on that

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 28, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tankakern posted:

omg awesome it's in portage already

Masked, though.

Still, I am unreasonably excited about an update to my DE.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

oh gently caress yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
damnit i get an upgrade on clear but it's only to 5.115.0-77

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hmm i installed some SDDM theme and now every time i go to the logon screen i get some stupid british english virtual keyboard

idk how to screenshot that so i just took a picture

anyone know how to disable this? it pops up after you switch fields for user/pass too, so it's real loving annoying

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Theme issue iirc last time I dabbled with it (two weeks ago).

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

hmm i installed some SDDM theme and now every time i go to the logon screen i get some stupid british english virtual keyboard

idk how to screenshot that so i just took a picture

anyone know how to disable this? it pops up after you switch fields for user/pass too, so it's real loving annoying

try the keeb-button in the bottom-right

(I have no idea how to prevent it from happening though, sry)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

oh gently caress yes

lol that they included a youtube client based on Invidious, a scraper that got a takedown notice from youtube

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

inset posted:

try the keeb-button in the bottom-right

(I have no idea how to prevent it from happening though, sry)

yeah i mean. that gets rid of it but it just comes back when i switch fields

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Visions of Valerie posted:

This is not correct. Linux distros do not pay for signatures; signing review happens in public; Debian doesn't have particular difficulty with this process.

The $100 fee to have the shim signed is definitely a thing.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
e: nm

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 28, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the hdmi forum told amd to gently caress off regarding any open source drivers enabling hdmi 2.1 features

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

e: nm done engaging with this

lol ok. bye

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
instead of refuting this benign, unconfrontational post, or perhaps being unsure about it, or maybe even agreeing with it and admitting i was wrong, i will simply announce that im done engaging with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Interesting. The windows 8 hardware certification requirements said this which seems to indicate that arm laptops were not allowed to permit secure boot to be disabled at that time:

https://web.archive.org/web/2012021...ents-system.pdf

I guess they must have backed off on that

this is probably something to do w/ the qualcomm arm exclusivity and probably windows phone which would have been about the only windows arm thing back then

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

mycophobia posted:

instead of refuting this benign, unconfrontational post, or perhaps being unsure about it, or maybe even agreeing with it and admitting i was wrong, i will simply announce that im done engaging with it

it's called immortality. jealous?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mycophobia posted:

meanwhile i'll narrate my view of the conversation in third person like the biggest tool in the universe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
come now friends, there is no need to get angry about Linux of all things

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Linux is real, and strong, and my friend.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

mycophobia posted:

namaste. didn't mean to be passive-aggressive and fixed post to reflect that

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

NihilCredo posted:

this is straight up misinformation

sorry i was misremembering the history of it as current status. at one point microsoft absolutely was planning to require always-on secure boot for UEFI x86 PCs, but walked it back. the controversy stuck in my memory more than the resolution

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

quote:

...While Microsoft have modified their original position and all x86 Windows machines will be required to have a firmware option to disable this or to permit users to enrol their own keys...

i was not misremembering that linux distros end up paying to have a bootloader shim signed - as other parts of that mjg blog post mention, requiring non-technical prospective linux users to fish around in confusing firmware settings just to boot your installer means linux doesn't get installed. like, maybe there are realistically no non-technical linux users, but linux distros would like to keep their hopes up, y'know?

from what i can tell, relenting on this was an x86 PC only thing and microsoft does require always-on secure boot for windows-on-arm computers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/news-and-events/nvk-is-now-ready-for-prime-time.html

NVK, the open source vulkan driver for 2080-series and newer nvidia hardware, is now Vulkan 1.3 conformant and will ship as a production-ready in the next Mesa release. DX11 over DXVK works, DX12 over VKD3D is a work in progress, OpenGL 4.6 over Zink is a work in progress.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

meanwhile i'll narrate my view of the conversation in third person like the biggest tool in the universe

my post wasn't in third person. owned!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

namaste. didn't mean to be passive-aggressive and fixed post to reflect that

:thumbsup: though i cant imagine what was there pre-edit was so bad that you had to edit it out...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
man, loving oneAPI

i'm trying to compile ffmpeg with icx/icpx and it just won't. from ffbuild/config.log:

code:
icx -g -O3 -feliminate-unused-debug-types -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -Wformat -Wformat-security -m64 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -Wp,-D_REENTRANT -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro -fno-semantic-interposition -ffat-lto-objects -fno-trapping-math -Wl,-sort-common -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -mrelax-cmpxchg-loop -ffunction-sections -c -o /tmp/ffconf.ZQast6ea/test.o /tmp/ffconf.ZQast6ea/test.c
icx: command line warning #10430: Unsupported command line options encountered
These options as listed are not supported.
For more information, use '-qnextgen-diag'.
option list:
-ffat-lto-objects
icx: error: unknown argument: '-ftree-loop-distribute-patterns'
icx: error: unknown argument: '-mrelax-cmpxchg-loop'
i have the right environment sourced, it's just that, basically, idk how to get ffmpeg's configure to not use those flags. it doesn't seem to recognize icx/icpx, and using the bundled version of clang/clang++ doesn't work either, for the same reason

interestingly they strongly discourage the use of clang/clang++ anyway, saying that it shouldn't be called directly and that using clang would be the equivalent of icx -O0 (seriously)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i also just tried to compile fdk-aac with it, just to see if it'd do it. nope:

code:
configure:3755: checking for gcc
configure:3788: result: icx
configure:4147: checking for C compiler version
configure:4156: icx --version >&5
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler 2023.2.3 (2023.2.3.20231204)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.2.3/linux/bin-llvm
Configuration file: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.2.3/linux/bin-llvm/../bin/icx.cfg
configure:4167: $? = 0
configure:4156: icx -v >&5
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler 2023.2.3 (2023.2.3.20231204)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.2.3/linux/bin-llvm
Configuration file: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.2.3/linux/bin-llvm/../bin/icx.cfg
Found candidate GCC installation: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-generic-linux/12
Found candidate GCC installation: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-generic-linux/13
Found candidate GCC installation: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-generic-linux/14
Found candidate GCC installation: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-generic-linux/7
Found candidate GCC installation: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-generic-linux/8
... rest of stderr output deleted ...
configure:4156: icx -V >&5
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2023.2.3 Build 20231204
Copyright (C) 1985-2023 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

configure:4156: icx -qversion >&5
icx: error: unknown argument '-qversion'; did you mean '--version'?
icx: error: no input files
configure:4167: $? = 1
configure:4156: icx -version >&5
icx: error: unknown argument '-version'; did you mean '--version'?
icx: error: no input files
configure:4167: $? = 1
configure:4187: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:4209: icx -g -O3 -feliminate-unused-debug-types -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -Wformat -Wformat-security -m64 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -Wp,-D_REENTRANT -ftree-loop-distribute-patterns -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro -fno-semantic-interposition -ffat-lto-objects -fno-trapping-math -Wl,-sort-common -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -mrelax-cmpxchg-loop -ffunction-sections    conftest.c  >&5
icx: command line warning #10430: Unsupported command line options encountered
These options as listed are not supported.
For more information, use '-qnextgen-diag'.
option list:
-ffat-lto-objects
icx: error: unknown argument: '-ftree-loop-distribute-patterns'
icx: error: unknown argument: '-mrelax-cmpxchg-loop'
configure:4213: $? = 1
configure:4254: result: no
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "fdk-aac"
same problem, apparently

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

where are those CFLAGS coming from, they don't appear anywhere in the FFmpeg git repository?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have no idea. i imagine probably one of the oneAPI environmental sources (there's like 10 of the loving things), but `echo $CFLAGS` yields nothing

but at the same time, why would it insert incompatible CFLAGS? it doesn't make any sense lol

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mila kunis posted:

i got a laptop and put linux on it., think im going to regret this

it appears it still may not be the year of linux on the desk(lap) top, at least for idiot noobs like me. shut the lid and didn't use it for 24 hours and opened it up to a completely drained battery. apparently there's a bunch of different sleep modes, and newer lenovo laptops don't support the (better??) older ones. so this thing is still draining battery at a high rate even when i close the lid in "s2idle" mode

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

i have no idea. i imagine probably one of the oneAPI environmental sources (there's like 10 of the loving things), but `echo $CFLAGS` yields nothing

but at the same time, why would it insert incompatible CFLAGS? it doesn't make any sense lol

if I was really really really driven to figure out why this was happening (as in - I was bring paid to do this) I would create a shim clang that would call the real clang unless it sees the bad flags in which case it would echo something and then sleep forever

then I could use gdb or etc to backtrack the forks to see who is making the call and go from there

it could be something really loving wild like some 3rd party library doing the compilation

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

or insert a shim that just passed the arguments and environment to the real clang but with the bad arguments stripped out

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

mila kunis posted:

it appears it still may not be the year of linux on the desk(lap) top, at least for idiot noobs like me. shut the lid and didn't use it for 24 hours and opened it up to a completely drained battery. apparently there's a bunch of different sleep modes, and newer lenovo laptops don't support the (better??) older ones. so this thing is still draining battery at a high rate even when i close the lid in "s2idle" mode

Having used ubuntu on laptops for years now I view suspend as black magic that almost never works, doubly so when done by shutting the lid instead on explicitly clicking it in the menu. Maybe it's the weird VPN setup at my job that stops it from going to sleep properly. Often the laptop just keeps running while in my backpack. If I actually manage to get it to sleep it wakes up again when I look at it weirdly and I don't trust it to go back to sleep in reasonable time frame (<1 min).
I have a suspicion that they built the logic such that when you suspend via the menu and then close the lid the laptop goes "lid closed -> that's a hardware event -> the user did something -> let's wake up again in case they want to login!"
imho the only thing that should wake from suspend is pressing the power button.

That being said, ten years ago when I was a terminal nerd using weird window managers and poo poo on a cheap samsung laptop, I did suspend-to-disk all the time and that often worked great (could dualboot to windows inbetween too and then back to the linux session). And ofc it didn't use any power at all, though it was considerably slower to wake up (have to click through bootloader screen too when dualbooting).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
it doesn't look its actually sleeping. shut the lid 12 hours ago at 90%, opened it and its at 40. might as well have been keeping it on

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

if I was really really really driven to figure out why this was happening (as in - I was bring paid to do this) I would create a shim clang that would call the real clang unless it sees the bad flags in which case it would echo something and then sleep forever

then I could use gdb or etc to backtrack the forks to see who is making the call and go from there

it could be something really loving wild like some 3rd party library doing the compilation

hmm that's not a bad idea, but i still need to figure out how icx/icpx work, i think. i was just looking over the fdk-aac log again and saw

(and yeah, there's one for icpx too, i remember seeing it when i was looking for the environment scripts). i'm not at that computer right now but the next time i am i wanna see if they have some cflags in em

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
set the sleep mode from windows to linux in the firmware setup and it should sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Will this break my theme