Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Barry Foster posted:

It's different when they're laser tigers. It's smart when the tigers have lasers

Were they ever actually laser tigers? I'm not going back to read Children to find out but I recall they were controlled by their captor somehow, implied to be via radio, but I don't remember lasers other than 'Laza Tiger' kind of sounding that way.

And the other part of the plan was that they were trained to attack two small bipeds wearing very specific clothing that ended up being gifted to Ghanima and Leto. Super transparent poo poo, Frank guy phoned in that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't just that. His wife was a BG who had her hooks deep into him and was (last he knew) being tortured eternally. If she hadn't been BG or the Harkonnens hadn't been so good at torture it wouldn't have worked.

Still seems like something that the conditioning, or even like a basic background check, should have taken into consideration.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if you're so smart, why don't you have a laser tiger?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Everyone also seems to underestimate the power of love. Seriously. It's what breaks iron-clad conditioning and millennia-long plans both. Because someone fell in love more than they should have.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
it scans, frank was a firm believer in the power of horny

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

uber_stoat posted:

if you're so smart, why don't you have a laser tiger?

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF LASER TIGER-BOT TLEILAX

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

6.5 years ago, and 800 pages ago, we started posting about rumors itt of a possible Dune movie while processing the critical success but box office failure of Blade Runner 2049 several months prior. We've come a long way.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 29, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I HEAR LETO DIES IN THE END

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

6.5 years ago, and 800 pages ago, we started posting about rumors itt of a possible Dune movie while processing the critical success but box office failure of Blade Runner 2049 several months prior. We've come a long way.

Posting without moving

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wonder how many "lol rIDE the WORM a BIG ONe" posts we've made in that time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Were they ever actually laser tigers? I'm not going back to read Children to find out but I recall they were controlled by their captor somehow, implied to be via radio, but I don't remember lasers other than 'Laza Tiger' kind of sounding that way.

And the other part of the plan was that they were trained to attack two small bipeds wearing very specific clothing that ended up being gifted to Ghanima and Leto. Super transparent poo poo, Frank guy phoned in that book.

it just doesn't ring the same when you say you want friggin tigers with friggin lazas on their head

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

where is the bitch who said these movies would never come out, imma take his loving water

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If a long movie were good then why would it need so much filler and padding? Makes sense to me. Short movies condense the good stuff down and don't waste your time.!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Monica Bellucci posted:

I HEAR LETO DIES IN THE END

leto died as he lived

a dickless goon

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Toxic Mental posted:

If a long movie were good then why would it need so much filler and padding? Makes sense to me. Short movies condense the good stuff down and don't waste your time.!

I need a directors cut, I need the banquet scene and Gurney playing a baliset in the first movie. But apparently Denis doesn't do directors cuts, why does he hate me?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

where is the bitch who said these movies would never come out, imma take his loving water

there will never be a sequel

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Do you think they will cast cara dune in dune 6 or something so she can get really excited when the ghola climbs a wall?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Still seems like something that the conditioning, or even like a basic background check, should have taken into consideration.

I don’t know. I think it’s kind of clever to put the Hippocratic oath to a trolley test. And it might not be the most mad-genius plot so much as being insanely sadistic so it wasn’t something somebody had attempted before. It’s like, no one thought you could just blatantly kidnap a journalist and saw him into pieces and suffer absolutely no consequences whatsoever until a few years ago, because no one was sick enough to even think of the idea.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You never know how you'll react until you yourself see your wife turned into a spider dog

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's also a very important thing that the Bene Gesserit are very secretive about the full extent of their abilities and what they're up to. Being able to subvert trusted means of mental conditioning is exactly the kind of thing you keep secret.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Again, it is the legend

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

To be fair... posted:

Do you think they will cast cara dune in dune 6 or something so she can get really excited when the ghola climbs a wall?

What are the of results of Gina Carano being in a movie about jihad I wonder

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Toxic Mental posted:

If a long movie were good then why would it need so much filler and padding?
Oh, I can actually answer this one - The padding is where urine and feces are processed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
What an experience on IMAX, huge picture and full frame for a fair chunk of the movie.

The aspect ratio changing down when someone was using binoculars was a cool effect as well.

It felt a fair bit different to part 1 in tone, but it was enjoyable.

A little disappointed that Denis 'hates dialogue' because a few more words could have been said at the end inside the imperial tent. 10/10

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Let Paul say jihad

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Honestly I feel that them being able to break the conditioning just plays in so well with how everything in this ritualistic society is built on that things must be done in the ways of their forefathers so nobody cares to do a good job with things so that once someone (the harkonnen) decides ok let's do things another way it blindside's *everyone*

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

gonna shove my first in the greasy maw of that popcorn worm

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Greggster posted:

Honestly I feel that them being able to break the conditioning just plays in so well with how everything in this ritualistic society is built on that things must be done in the ways of their forefathers so nobody cares to do a good job with things so that once someone (the harkonnen) decides ok let's do things another way it blindside's *everyone*

Right. It's a super static and sclerotic society (stagnant, in Leto II's words). Somehow the Great Convention has been adhered to for 10,000 years before the end of Dune. And it isn't until Paul decides to be a smart-rear end and say "Yeah I defied the treaty but I didn't use atomics against any people!!!!" that it's broken. The events of Dune are about a period where a bunch of super longstanding norms and standards are ripped apart. I think the law of the Imperium for thousands of years boiled down to "that's not how things are done!" Once the Emperor lets the Harkonnens invade Arrakis it's gloves off.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Between Dune and Shogun both being so good and getting Norms into the story I feel years of retroactive vindication for all the times I was high in college trying to get people to read the books.

Similar to Lord of the Rings to be honest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I should reread Shogun. I loved it as a kid but I was always worried it would age badly.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

kiimo posted:

Between Dune and Shogun both being so good and getting Norms into the story I feel years of retroactive vindication for all the times I was high in college trying to get people to read the books.

Similar to Lord of the Rings to be honest

I work in a bookshop these days and, for anyone who will end up doing the same, beware the "I read anything" types. They are liars and will recoil physically from any proffered book that does not meet their delusional standards.

Also, True Crime peeps are picky as gently caress.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I think we’ll never see DUNC 3 because that novel was really dull.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Lincoln posted:

:same:

My fantasy is them making one more and just skipping right to the second half of Children of Dune

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Maybe they can include some of Children via the medium of totally gonzo Paulovisions

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I think you could pretty easily excise Children by pushing up the schedule of Alia’s possession and making Leto II v1, uh, Leto II. Sorry, Ghanima.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lincoln posted:

Abomination! A Messiah movie would have a ton of cool poo poo. Villeneuve’s take on Scytale and Edric will be awesome. The stoneburner is awesome. Hayt would be awesome.

Chalamet looking like Sam Neil in Event Horizon will be awesome.

There’s an awesome conversation where Farok describes to Scytale his first time seeing the ocean that I think would suit Villeneuve’s lyrical style:

quote:

"Do you know why I enlisted in the Jihad?" The old eyes stared hard at Scytale. "I heard there was a thing called a sea. It is very hard to believe in a sea when you have lived only here among our dunes. We have no seas. Men of Dune had never known a sea. We had our windtraps. We collected water for the great change Liet-Kynes promised us ... this great change Muad'dib is bringing with a wave of his hand. I could imagine a qanat, water flowing across the land in a canal. From this, my mind could picture a river. But a sea?"

Farok gazed at the translucent cover of his courtyard as though trying to probe into the universe beyond. "A sea," he said, voice low. "It was too much for my mind to picture. Yet, men I knew said they had seen this marvel. I thought they lied, but I had to know for myself. It was for this reason that I enlisted."

The youth struck a loud final chord on the baliset, took up a new song with an oddly undulating rhythm.

"Did you find your sea?" Scytale asked.
Farok remained silent and Scytale thought the old man had not heard. The baliset music rose around them and fell like a tidal movement. Farok breathed to its rhythm.

"There was a sunset," Farok said presently. "One of the elder artists might have painted such a sunset. It had red in it the color of the glass in my bottle. There was gold... blue. It was on the world they call Enfeil, the one where I led my legion to victory. We came out of a mountain pass where the air was sick with water. I could scarcely breathe it. And there below me was the thing my friends had told me about : water as far as I could see and farther. We marched down to it. I waded out into it and drank. It was bitter and made me ill. But the wonder of it has never left me."

Scytale found himself sharing the old Fremen's awe.

"I immersed myself in that sea," Farok said, looking down at the water creatures worked into the tiles of his floor. "One man sank beneath that water ... another man arose from it. I felt that I could remember a past which had never been. I stared around me with eyes which could accept anything ... anything at all. I saw a body in the water one of the defenders we had slain. There was a log nearby supported on that water, a piece of a great tree. I can close my eyes now and see that log. It was black on one end from a fire. And there was a piece of cloth in that water-no more than a yellow rag... torn, dirty. I looked at all these things and I understood why they had come to this place. It was for me to see them."

Farok turned slowly, stared into Scytale's eyes.

"The universe is unfinished, you know," he said.

This one is garrulous, but deep”, Scytale thought. And he said: "I can see it made a profound impression on you.”

"You are a Tleilaxu," Farok said. "You have seen many seas. I have seen only this one, yet I know a thing about seas which you do not."

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 29, 2024

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Dune Messiah owns bones. Children of Dune is the boring one...

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Lincoln posted:

i will NOT suffer this ridiculous bijaz erasure

crysknives at dawn, motherfucker

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Wizchine posted:

Dune Messiah owns bones. Children of Dune is the boring one...

They both have good signals in the noise but the ratio continually degrades. I just want to see Paul's throne room in Messiah and Ultra Instinct Leto in Children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The other thing Messiah has going for it is it's the most succinct of the books and is much more suited to a 2.5 hour outing than the others. It's a nice tight conspiracy plot, whereas Children of Dune is kind of all over the map.