Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Kaal posted:

This is doubly true in a heroic fantasy game, where dying to mundane things like dysentery [...] isn’t part of the genre.

E. Gary Gygax devotes a page and half to diseases of the sort, and very early in the book. Like, page 13, which is before he says what a character's ability scores mean. That would seem to indicate it was very important to him. Further evidence of that is relatively lengthily Appendix J of the ADandD DMG which reads like a homeopathic shopping list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Antifreeze Head posted:

E. Gary Gygax devotes a page and half to diseases of the sort, and very early in the book. Like, page 13, which is before he says what a character's ability scores mean. That would seem to indicate it was very important to him. Further evidence of that is relatively lengthily Appendix J of the ADandD DMG which reads like a homeopathic shopping list.

D&D didn't become explicitly heroic until 3rd edition after WOTC took over. Before that, characters were above average ordinary people, looking for fame, fortune, and power through treasure hunting.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Even Goku can have heart disease. Think about it

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

looking for character building advice! i'm gonna be playing as a kobold armorer artificer. being a tiny lil dude in a punchy mech suit sounds like fun.

specifically i'm looking at whether i want to take the dual wielder feat or not, since we all get to take one for free. you do have two gauntlets to smush people with after all, and the +1 AC bonus is just icing on the cake. being able to tag up to 3 assholes with disadvantage on attacks against anyone but me starting at level 5 seems pretty good, since armorers don't really use their bonus actions for much else except for giving themselves temporary HP. and getting hex or hunter's mark is doable on level 4, which would nearly double the damage that a full salvo of attacks would do.

but kobolds do get draconic cry, which gives their friends advantage on attacks against any jerk within 10 feet of them, and since armorers are usually in the thick of it, that seems like a really strong assist to the rest of the team. might even be stronger than being able to regularly smack things with another attack each turn, since it's a pretty big group. three extra damage dice every turn seems strong, but five full attacks from everybody else, at advantage, is nothing to sneeze at either. but then again, you only get to do that so many times a day.

am i just overthinking this?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Even Goku can have heart disease. Think about it

Should've had less bacon.

EightFlyingCars posted:

looking for character building advice! i'm gonna be playing as a kobold armorer artificer. being a tiny lil dude in a punchy mech suit sounds like fun.

specifically i'm looking at whether i want to take the dual wielder feat or not, since we all get to take one for free. you do have two gauntlets to smush people with after all, and the +1 AC bonus is just icing on the cake. being able to tag up to 3 assholes with disadvantage on attacks against anyone but me starting at level 5 seems pretty good, since armorers don't really use their bonus actions for much else except for giving themselves temporary HP. and getting hex or hunter's mark is doable on level 4, which would nearly double the damage that a full salvo of attacks would do.

but kobolds do get draconic cry, which gives their friends advantage on attacks against any jerk within 10 feet of them, and since armorers are usually in the thick of it, that seems like a really strong assist to the rest of the team. might even be stronger than being able to regularly smack things with another attack each turn, since it's a pretty big group. three extra damage dice every turn seems strong, but five full attacks from everybody else, at advantage, is nothing to sneeze at either. but then again, you only get to do that so many times a day.

am i just overthinking this?

I could be wrong but isn't dual wielding kinda bad in 5e? I know my Blood Hunter struggled to make it work.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Dual Wielding is good if you don't normally use your BA. The feat is a flat damage buff and AC buff which is universally beneficial.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah i guess my question is whether i can expect to use my BAs more to hit jerks myself with two-weapon fighting or help my posse hit jerks for me with draconic cry. at this level i'll probably do more punching but draconic cry only scales up as i get levels

but then again, that's a long ways off. we're still level 4 in a pretty combat-heavy game. i could blow through both my uses of draconic cry in half of one combat right now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I’d just say go for it. You seem to have a good grasp of the benefits and limitations involved, and unless you have a different plan for your bonus actions it’ll almost certainly be consistently useful.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Session 0 on Thursday and so far it looks like I'm gonna have a Paladin who comes from a long family of Paladins and is starting to wonder if the life is right for them, and another PC as a goblin the Paladin rescued once who has sworn to the Paladin so that's already rife for interesting times.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I know purple dragon knight is kinda a poo poo class, but I decided to make my latest character to become a purple dragon knight. Picked an amethyst Dragonborn with the knight background, and her name is Voilet drago-chevalier.

Did I create my character just to make the extremely lame joke of being a purple purple purple dragon dragon dragon knight knight knight? Yep! Eagerly awaiting my DM’s eye roll once we hit level 3.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

HellCopter posted:

There's a "Living Demiplane" monster in Rime of the Frostmaiden. Sounds perfect.

... Neth?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

My wife went away for the weekend and my adhd took over. Somehow my coffee table turned into a tv?

I recently started DMing for her and a friend. We are all new to D&D so it’s been a really neat experience. If anyone else is in a similar situation I highly recommend starting with Defiance in Phlan as their first adventure. We tried Lost Mines of Phandelver first, but quickly got bogged down and overwhelmed. It’s a bit too open IMO for total noobs.

The short and simple 1 hr adventures are quite linear which I found very helpful as a new DM.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My Players: "I'd like to investigate why the words 'Patreon.com' are written over here, is this a warning from an ancient civilization? A prophecy?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Asking every NPC I meet to tell me more about The Patreons

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
DMs, what is a reasonable level to start giving magic weapons as loot?

I ask because I want a magic weapon :( (level 6)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

I bought one at that level. A +1 weapon costs 300 gold. Find a weaponsmith or magic shop that will sell or enchant it.

Multiple magics (like a +1 sword of bleeding or whatever) are rarer and thus harder to find.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Outrail posted:

I've got an idea for a campaign that starts with the kingdom being subjugated by a dragon as a background that slowly becomes the main plot.

Only the dragon sees the kingdom as it's lair and treasure, including the people. So as long as the kingdom continues to prosper it doesn't mind that the people are walking around with all that gold. It's a dragon and doesn't really care about the details of it all as long as the amount of gold and people in the kingdom goes up, and that the people are healthy and wearing nice things because that means they're more valuable. Then it learns about trade and forbids any movement of gold or currency across border and I'm not sure where it goes from there. Some sort of lesson about capitalism or something?

Now, this is an actual thing called Mercantilism that was practiced in the early modern era that basically said to become a wealthy country you gotta get all the gold coming in and never send it out. The winner of the Mercantilist game was Qing China, which only exported goods and didn't really import anything from abroad until the British showed up with cannons. As expected this didn't actually create national wealth and just resulted in inflation and instability and a lot of modern economics emerged as a response to it.

Edit: If you want to critique capitalism, portray the dragon as some sort of cost cutting manager who disbands the army because he can defend the realm for way cheaper, except many of the soldiers go on to become bandits and he's not able to stop them.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 29, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Morrow posted:

Now, this is an actual thing called Mercantilism that was practiced in the early modern era that basically said to become a wealthy country you gotta get all the gold coming in and never send it out. The winner of the Mercantilist game was Qing China, which only exported goods and didn't really import anything from abroad until the British showed up with cannons. As expected this didn't actually create national wealth and just resulted in inflation and instability and a lot of modern economics emerged as a response to it.

Just gotta tell the Dragon about fractional reserve banking and how it can rent out the land to people and collect something called a "tax" and "interest payments".

Interestingly you can actually work in quests where the players actually work for the Dragon as enforcers in a way that actually at first glance comes across as within a reasonable bounds of morality; a criminal organization is trying to debase the currency, by hosting an illegal tin/copper mining operation which it is using to melt down and print new coins that are identical forgeries except for having a smaller amount of gold/silver content for its weight. The Dragon is obviously quite cross at someone trying to concentrate wealth into their own greedy hands and making the aggregate value of "Its" coinage worth-less. This also of course devalues the coins regular citizens hold which reduces their buying power for basic necessities, so you're doing a Good Thing(tm) by putting a stop to it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

an authoritarian but otherwise lawful good metallic dragon that deposes the corrupt monarchy

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

an authoritarian but otherwise lawful good metallic dragon that deposes the corrupt monarchy

A metallic dragon who overthrows the fiat dragon.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Just gotta tell the Dragon about fractional reserve banking and how it can rent out the land to people and collect something called a "tax" and "interest payments".

Interestingly you can actually work in quests where the players actually work for the Dragon as enforcers in a way that actually at first glance comes across as within a reasonable bounds of morality; a criminal organization is trying to debase the currency, by hosting an illegal tin/copper mining operation which it is using to melt down and print new coins that are identical forgeries except for having a smaller amount of gold/silver content for its weight. The Dragon is obviously quite cross at someone trying to concentrate wealth into their own greedy hands and making the aggregate value of "Its" coinage worth-less. This also of course devalues the coins regular citizens hold which reduces their buying power for basic necessities, so you're doing a Good Thing(tm) by putting a stop to it.

I feel like everyone has at some point had this approximate idea of a way to use a gold-hoarding dragon in a D&D type story, "teach dragon about principles of actual economics"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

we're on the gold dragon standard now

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Thermos posted:

My wife went away for the weekend and my adhd took over. Somehow my coffee table turned into a tv?

I recently started DMing for her and a friend. We are all new to D&D so it’s been a really neat experience. If anyone else is in a similar situation I highly recommend starting with Defiance in Phlan as their first adventure. We tried Lost Mines of Phandelver first, but quickly got bogged down and overwhelmed. It’s a bit too open IMO for total noobs.

The short and simple 1 hr adventures are quite linear which I found very helpful as a new DM.

I should try and get a setup like this. I love using maps and this would make doing so much easier.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fiat dragons breath does psychic damage. That's all I know.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Yusin posted:

I should try and get a setup like this. I love using maps and this would make doing so much easier.

They're seriously a great beginner woodworking project. Back before COVID a friend of mine wanted to build one for the home game we were playing in. I let him use my wood shop and gave him free reign of the off cut bin, showed him how the pocket hole jig worked, and he was off to the races. Ended up falling in love with woodworking and built a bunch of wonderful bookshelves for his wife on his own time!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

D&D didn't become explicitly heroic until 3rd edition after WOTC took over. Before that, characters were above average ordinary people, looking for fame, fortune, and power through treasure hunting.

Yeah, no. A level 4 oD&D fighter was explicitly a hero and a level 8 oD&D fighter was explicitly a superhero. And in AD&D "average ordinary people" were level 0. Before WotC took over first level characters were above average ordinary people. And they still were after WotC took over. A fifth level character has never in the entire history of D&D outside certain deliberately overpowered settings (Council of Wyrms for example) been an ordinary person.

And the treasure hunting motive was deprecated in the mid 80s with both Dragonlance and the departure of Gygax. GP for XP aren't even in the 2e default rules, merely an option in the DMG.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

NeurosisHead posted:

They're seriously a great beginner woodworking project. Back before COVID a friend of mine wanted to build one for the home game we were playing in. I let him use my wood shop and gave him free reign of the off cut bin, showed him how the pocket hole jig worked, and he was off to the races. Ended up falling in love with woodworking and built a bunch of wonderful bookshelves for his wife on his own time!

I've always wondered about these setups. Is there no concerns about glare on the screen, or the picture looking grainy when you're sitting up close to the TV?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

HellCopter posted:

I've always wondered about these setups. Is there no concerns about glare on the screen, or the picture looking grainy when you're sitting up close to the TV?

I was concerned about those things too, but it ended up being very useable. I literally just turned our 12 year old 1080p tv on it’s side, put a piece of plexiglass over top and plugged it in. With a modern 4K display it could potentially look very nice.

One thing I found super cool is the ability to use animated maps. Seemed like a bit of a gimmick, but seeing the torches flicker or water running along with the sounds adds some nice ambiance.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Raenir Salazar posted:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Honestly, I give out +0 Magic weapons pretty early, around level 3 to martial melee characters, and actually make +1 melee and range weapons available at around level 5. After that I'm much more likely to use random loot tables, but I do think it important to get my martial characters magic weapons early in their career since damage resistance and immunities can kick in and make martial characters useless without them. (by martial i mean Fighter/Barbarian/Rogue/Monk, half casters have plenty of other utility and some even have the "magic weapon" spell, so I don't feel the need to get them one.)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I gave my level 4 barbarian a +1 warhammer of Thunder wave and it's been really great for him. Give your martials a weapon with a neat utility effect early imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i give out magic weapons around the end of the first “adventure.” video games are a pretty useful reference for stuff like when its most satisfying to reward players, and getting a powerful weapon (a) from a boss character or (b) as a reward for handling a boss character reinforces the reward cycle

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My rule is every character who primarily uses weapons gets a cool magic weapon by level 3.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think back in 3e the rough guideline for standard power levels was that characters would be expected to have magic weapons of roughly one third their level. So each + added a level, each extra ability added a level, etc.

A 3rd level character might be expected to have a +1, a 6th level character a +2 or a flaming +1, or something along those lines. Not sure if that baseline has significantly changed but it feels reasonable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If players are using a magic item above their level, have something bad happen if they roll a 1, as they lack the skill or power to handle it properly. Let them know ahead of time so it's not a surprise. Then give them a vorpeal blade.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Re: Dragon banks, Coin and Scroll had a fun article about them:

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2018/02/osr-dragon-banks.html?m=1

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

I think back in 3e the rough guideline for standard power levels was that characters would be expected to have magic weapons of roughly one third their level. So each + added a level, each extra ability added a level, etc.

A 3rd level character might be expected to have a +1, a 6th level character a +2 or a flaming +1, or something along those lines. Not sure if that baseline has significantly changed but it feels reasonable.

The maximum to hit/armor bonus is +3. And AC scales way lower. I think +1 is ok for a level 5, +2 for a level 10, and +3 for a level 15.

It's way more fun to give static magical effects.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 2, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whaaaat? Back in my day we had +5s and were proud of it!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Yeah, but back in that day the highest RAW enemy AC was more than 25.

Meanwhile, I have a PC that can get their AC up to drat near 30 without much trouble/setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Man folks weren't kidding when they said Cragmaw Cave is a TPK factory. I got drat close and they still have 2 rooms to go.