Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

JessKay posted:

The song is in the script as released by the beeb (link, page 52 of the Power of the Doctor script), the dancing isn't.

That said I really have to imagine that to Chibnall at least it was implied, and that it was probably discussed outside of the page. But they're not strictly wrong that the script doesn't mention it.

Huh, fair enough, it does just have Rasputin play for basically no reason. But, yeah, it's either implied or Chibnall should not have been at all surprised by the choice to dance with the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Probably the most revealing thing I've learned about Chibnall's writing from reading Sandifer's essays on his era isn't about any writing he did on Doctor Who (though it does quite likely reflect on it): apparently he was so worried about spoilers on Broadchurch's first season that be tried to write it so that multiple different characters could have turned out to be the killer, so if spoilers leaked he could switch up the finale accordingly.

It's telling because it reveals an attitude to making television which hinges on being surprised during its initial transmission as being the most important thing, rather than simply making a firm decision, calibrating everyone's acting accordingly, and making something which is likely better as a result of the actors not having to pitch their performances such that they're equally fitting whether or not they are the killer.

(Sure, Ray Wise didn't know his character had killed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks until they made the reveal. But part of the intrinsic theme there is the killer not admitting his actions to himself. Broadchurch didn't go that direction and Chibnall isn't David Lynch or Mark Frost.)

The thing is, Doctor Who is a show which traditionally has an unusual amount of weight in the long tail. People revisit decades-old episodes in a way that they don't really do outside of Star Trek and a few other exceptions, home media sales are unusually healthy, and Chibnall as a fan of long standing ought to have been fully aware how much people like to discuss and analyse episodes after the fact. And yet he has a writing ethos which prioritises getting a cheap pop on first transmission over producing something which can stand up to intensive scrutiny after the fact.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paul.Power posted:

Smith getting (as someone in here joked earlier) posessed by the spirit of Patrick Troughton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOSm_1FDZY&t=14s

:colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Moffat have an obsession with New Mexico or do the state have a weirdly specific Doctor Who tax credit?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I did it...

I survived Chibnall.

We warned you!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Moffat have an obsession with New Mexico or do the state have a weirdly specific Doctor Who tax credit?

Sometimes it was Spain, not New Mexico!

I think when it came to shooting overseas, Moffat was trying to shoot places that were the exact opposite of Wales. Quarries can only get you so far.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Monument Valley in Arizona was pretty spectacular filming.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I guess New Mexico has the association with aliens thanks to Roswell?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Monument Valley in Arizona was pretty spectacular filming.

Which episode did they film there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which episode did they film there?

Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was Utah wasn't it?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I didn't mean to be such a downer. I love big finish for the most part! I'm just sad that with how much each release costs to buy the covers aren't slightly better. Extreme first world problems I know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

2house2fly posted:

That was Utah wasn't it?

It’s both! Monument Valley crosses the state line! :eng101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how in an episode called Power of the Doctor, the Doctor doesn't actually do anything and her companions fix everything.

The real Power of the Doctor is the friends they made along the way! :buddy:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how in an episode called Power of the Doctor, the Doctor doesn't actually do anything and her companions fix everything.

I mean...that kida...is the power of the Doctor?

Getting others to willing die and kill for you?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm happy to be charitable and say the power of the Doctor is bringing people together and giving them the strength to stand up for what's right, while the Master misinterpret it and thinks if he takes the Doctor's body he becomes the Doctor with all that implies. It's charitable because sometimes Chibs titles his episodes with things that don't happen in them, eg Revolution Of The Daleks depicts no actual revolution

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Power of the doctor was the most fun I've had with a chibbs episode by a mile.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Confusedslight posted:

I didn't mean to be such a downer. I love big finish for the most part! I'm just sad that with how much each release costs to buy the covers aren't slightly better. Extreme first world problems I know.

Big finish prices are inflated because they don't have economies of scale. They might,, except that piracy of big finish is so widespread overwhelming that huge sways of their audience will never spend a cent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I used to buy a lot of Big Finish, but then they adjusted international currencies to make sure that everybody was paying the same amount, which is absolutely fair but also meant I went from buying dozens of digital releases each year to... well, none, which I don't think was the intention!

To be fair, a part of that is because it marked a good point for me to stop and concentrate on getting through the backlog of purchases I'd made, which slowed down considerably when my commute changed.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I'm happy to be charitable and say the power of the Doctor is bringing people together and giving them the strength to stand up for what's right, while the Master misinterpret it and thinks if he takes the Doctor's body he becomes the Doctor with all that implies. It's charitable because sometimes Chibs titles his episodes with things that don't happen in them, eg Revolution Of The Daleks depicts no actual revolution

Hey, I'll have you know that those Daleks were on Earth and Earth was revolving around the Sun so the Daleks were also revolving around the Sun. If it'd been titled Complete Revolution of the Daleks, that'd be a different story.

(Oh, no, I bet Chibnall thought "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos" was a clever title because the real battle was happening inside Graham the whole time.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I used to buy a lot of Big Finish, but then they adjusted international currencies to make sure that everybody was paying the same amount, which is absolutely fair but also meant I went from buying dozens of digital releases each year to... well, none, which I don't think was the intention!

drat. I didn’t think to buy from them when the pound was worthless during the height of the pandemic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Tennant specials are such a good palate cleanser

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Random Stranger posted:

We warned you!

Sometimes it was Spain, not New Mexico!

I think when it came to shooting overseas, Moffat was trying to shoot places that were the exact opposite of Wales. Quarries can only get you so far.

I'm sorta surprised they've never used Portmeirion, unless they think it would make people think of The Prisoner too much (though would that be such a bad thing?).

Then again, it's probably harder to get to Portmeirion from Cardiff than it is to get to Sheffield.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I think Portmeirion is too iconic for the Prisoner at this stage. It would have been great if they filmed there in the 60s for, say, The Mind Robber. That sort of dream-like architecture would have played immensely well as the Land of Fiction.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A lot of the overseas filming benefited from tax breaks IIRC. Hence making use of Spain a loooot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They should go film in Iceland. Proper alien landscape.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

I'm sorta surprised they've never used Portmeirion, unless they think it would make people think of The Prisoner too much (though would that be such a bad thing?).

Then again, it's probably harder to get to Portmeirion from Cardiff than it is to get to Sheffield.

The original series shot there for The Masque of Mandragora, so now it's been used once and they can never use it again. :)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The original series shot there for The Masque of Mandragora, so now it's been used once and they can never use it again. :)

Temple of Peace in shambles right now.

Puzzlewood just straight up dead.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

They should go film in Iceland. Proper alien landscape.

There's chunks of Scotland that look kinda Iceland-y, only without the volcanos.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ThatTallGinger/status/1763566870899130621

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheCyberdevil/status/1765784284835574052
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2024/bbc-marketing-generative-ai-doctor-who-promotion

quote:

We’re going to take it one step a time, starting simple and learning as we go. We have chosen to start with Doctor Who, as it is a joint content priority for both BBC Public Service UK and BBC Studios marketing teams. There’s a rich variety of content in the Whoniverse collection on iPlayer to test and learn with, and Doctor Who thematically lends itself to AI which is a bonus.

We will be creating human-written marketing copy for a Doctor Who push notification, email subject line and in the promotional rail on BBC Search - then we will be using generative AI to suggest copy variations which are then reviewed and approved by our marketing team before being shown to the audience. Their success will be measured by click- rates, open-rates, and post-impression conversion-rates across each channel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don’t know what any of that means.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rough translation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swuh2-d69Kg&t=244s

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Edward Mass posted:

The need for middle to upper management to jump on the latest marketing craze. They'll be using something like ChatGPT to generate promotional copy, as a trial.

I suppose we should be glad the show more or less avoided the whole NFT thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

They're trying to avoid paying a human to write promotional material for them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wolfechu posted:

The need for middle to upper management to jump on the latest marketing craze. They'll be using something like ChatGPT to generate promotional copy, as a trial.

Yeah, essentially they’ll be A/B/C/etc testing different versions of the same ad copy for a while, and then likely using the results as justification for gutting and condensing the actual human marketing teams and replacing them with “prompt engineers” who finesse the garbage the AI spits out.

Marketing has completely fallen in love with AI (none of it’s actually AI) and other generative bullshit because it means you no longer have to rely on (pay) the actual writers and artists in the industry. Marketing was already a completely morally bankrupt industry before AI. The last year and change have just made it immeasurably worse.

Ask me how I know from personal experience :negative:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Wolfechu posted:

Really wish this was true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_Worlds_Apart

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Awww. You know, I had this nagging memory there might have been something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if they'll be able to do anti-AI now or if they'll be "suggested" to be more kerblammy about it. They say Who already involved AI, but that also means it has the elements to have the Doctor deliver a withering speech about some era of earth where everyone starved to death as LLM replace everything with markov chain spam.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh god, AI is going to be the real life application of Douglas Adams' shoe shop event horizon isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if they'll be able to do anti-AI now or if they'll be "suggested" to be more kerblammy about it.

For all the poo poo the ending to KerBlam! rightfully gets, a surprisingly large number of people do seem to want to apply it in real life.

Ok, your job is demonstrably obsolete, and so we would normally let you go. However, we are feeling benevolent, we will let you carry on doing that pointless thing in return for a pittance. But be aware, we will be monitoring you for any signs of lack of energy or motivation.

I guess at the moment, there is some level of plausible deniability that the AI is not actually capable of doing the job properly? Which may even be justified. But I don’t think the case where it isn’t is the one that people are actually worried about.