Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/jojakelion2/status/1763179350709444875?s=46

One person has already been spotted running around in a mech

Hope they make at least one laser weapon that doesn't suck since the game doesn't have those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How do I use the arc thrower effectively?

I've mostly been shooting it, and it hits a robot and leaves a scorch mark on their body (even the smaller bots, it feels like) and does nothing else. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to make it useful.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dyz posted:

Shoot the little puffball mushrooms on desert planets.

This is currently my favorite way to travel. Dive over them and time the shot and you can get some impressive distance.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GlyphGryph posted:

How do I use the arc thrower effectively?

I've mostly been shooting it, and it hits a robot and leaves a scorch mark on their body (even the smaller bots, it feels like) and does nothing else. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to make it useful.

I think that's it. I tried using one during a Hard mission and thought it was dogshit that kept getting me and my teammates killed.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Hope they make at least one laser weapon that doesn't suck since the game doesn't have those.

I saw a (maybe fake) screenshot of a laser cannon support weapon called the Quasar that was supposedly visible in the stratagems store at launch but was quickly removed. The description said it charged to fire and had a cooldown between shots.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I got so pumped for my first drop and on the very first encounter, literally the first time I fired a weapon after the tutorial, my teammate dived in front of me and I hit him 4 times directly in the head, killing him. I was mortified but he forgave me immediately. I loving love this game.

I'm really bad at choosing strong strategems, though. Beelined for MG turret, stalwart, laser cannon, and 120 HE, which range from underwhelming to self destructive. Says something though that this game really needs a balance pass but I still love messing around with guns that sort of suck.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I want to like the arc thrower and I think it does an okay job when it's working, but it also seems extremely buggy and I've had moments where it seems to just... not fire. I'll let go of the button and there's a spark at the end of the barrel but it doesn't shoot a lightning bolt out at the enemy I'm aiming at. It happened like 5 times in a row the other day and I haven't touched it since because I was so annoyed

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

does the gun drone run out of ammo? the one time i used it in an SP game to pay attention to how good ti is i noticed it would dock twice to reload and then just kinda stopped working until i got a resupply.

if my game wasn't just bugged or i misunderstood something the laser drone seems way, way better.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

the machine gun gun drone tuns out of ammo pretty quickly. The laser based one has infinite ammo but honestly I'm not a big fan of the guard dogs, they often end up pissing off enemies I don't want to fight and the supply ammo/autocannon or other options for backpack are better imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Seems like the new major order is up after the robot one failed and it's a bug hunt, praise be.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a way to recall the dog in order to temporarily turn it off, or are you just stuck with it once deployed until you die are temporarily disenfranchised?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ChaseSP posted:

the machine gun gun drone tuns out of ammo pretty quickly. The laser based one has infinite ammo but honestly I'm not a big fan of the guard dogs, they often end up pissing off enemies I don't want to fight and the supply ammo/autocannon or other options for backpack are better imo.

Be nice if you could turn them off/on by hitting the 5 shortcut. Just keep them docked on the backpack when mobile and deploy it when fighting as the objective.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Are the Eagle 110 rocket pods capable of taking out a bile titan? I called them in for the very first time against one, and it just got…deleted. Felt awesome, assuming it was my call-in that did the job and not some other source of damage that I didn’t see.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I tried the mortar turret, I should have thought more about placement as that thing is so good at killing teammates. I was wondering why I kept getting killed by that thing, and now I know, you can't just place it like a normal turret or you are going to blow up your team repeatedly.

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a way to recall the dog in order to temporarily turn it off, or are you just stuck with it once deployed until you die are temporarily disenfranchised?
Would be nice for turrets too, maybe there is a way and I don't know about it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are the helldivers themselves bad/evil? Where is the line between community-oriented people, willing to risk their lives to help their fellow man and a very misguided, brainwashed patriot who screams about democracy while fighting for survival in a mission they were forced into?

One must imagine the helldivers happy

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rusty posted:

I tried the mortar turret, I should have thought more about placement as that thing is so good at killing teammates. I was wondering why I kept getting killed by that thing, and now I know, you can't just place it like a normal turret or you are going to blow up your team repeatedly.

Would be nice for turrets too, maybe there is a way and I don't know about it.

i basically never bring it on bug missions cause it will almost always cause some teamkills. It is good against bots tho since they usually dont swarm as much in melee range

i will say tho, that the ems mortar is drat amazing and i bring it on nearly every mission. No need to worry about friendly fire with this one

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

jokes posted:

Are the helldivers themselves bad/evil? Where is the line between community-oriented people, willing to risk their lives to help their fellow man and a very misguided, brainwashed patriot who screams about democracy while fighting for survival in a mission they were forced into?

One must imagine the helldivers happy

They will shout “no diver left behind!” or something similar so they appear to at least care about each other to some degree.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
helldivers are dengists

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i basically never bring it on bug missions cause it will almost always cause some teamkills. It is good against bots tho since they usually dont swarm as much in melee range

i will say tho, that the ems mortar is drat amazing and i bring it on nearly every mission. No need to worry about friendly fire with this one

I've actually managed to get killed by the EMS mortar landing directly on top of me once, but yeah the EMS mortar is absurdly good against robots and not a bad pick at all.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

mentalcontempt posted:

Are the Eagle 110 rocket pods capable of taking out a bile titan? I called them in for the very first time against one, and it just got…deleted. Felt awesome, assuming it was my call-in that did the job and not some other source of damage that I didn’t see.

I've done it before, but I got the impression it was either a very lucky shot or the titan had really been softened up by everything else thrown at it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bloopsy posted:

They will shout “no diver left behind!” or something similar so they appear to at least care about each other to some degree.

the hug emote alone shows that they are comrades first

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bad Munki posted:

You can always just take off the backpack. It's an option in the "drop" radial (along with support weapon, samples, and something else I can't remember)

jokes posted:

From a big picture perspective: Helldivers are... not really moral agents, any in real sense? There is, I think, an automaton quote about how they don't bother taking helldivers captive because the brainwashing is too strong for them to break through and the helldivers have less free will than the machines in a very real way.

From a small picture perspective: We are forced into a job that involves doing horrible evil, but I think it's important to try and enjoy your work and our little dudes clearly do.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 29, 2024

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

mentalcontempt posted:

It really depends on how hurt they are or how you hit them. Same with orbital railcannon. Most of the time its 2x of either with no other damage involved but you can get lucky and hit them directly in the face and do it in 1 strike.

Also If something has already taken off their side armor and you hit them there they'll die to the first 110/orbital rail usually.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

I've actually managed to get killed by the EMS mortar landing directly on top of me once, but yeah the EMS mortar is absurdly good against robots and not a bad pick at all.

lol, good to know that is possible

i think the ems is also really good against bugs cause they group up a lot and the cloud will slow them all down. Maybe not as big a deal if you can juke them easily i suppose

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GlyphGryph posted:

You can always just take off the backpack.

Helldivers are... not really moral agents, any in real sense? There is, I think, an automaton quote about how they don't bother taking helldivers captive because the brainwashing is too strong for them to break through and the helldivers have less free will than the machines in a very real way.

helldivers were the real killbots all along

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Helldivers do bad things for a fascist empire but they’re also literal teenagers who were indoctrinated with lies, given less than 15 minutes of training and shipped straight to the front lines to get ground into paste in a conflict of their own regime’s design. The game’s presentation is too comedic and satirical for it to feel bad, but more abstractly it’s deeply sad that every one of your respawns is just an 18-year-old who had no idea what they were signing up for, screaming out to meaningless concepts moments before death like “LIBERTY SAVE ME” because hollow enforced patriotism is the only thing they know

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mentalcontempt posted:

They won't 1 shot a full HP titan but they do a ton of damage to them and you should be able to finish them off easily if they eat the whole barrage

They ARE enough to take out a full hp bot tank in 1 shot, and they're one of my favorite bot strategems to being alongside the airstrike/500kg bomb for destroying factories

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

loving amazing

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

loving amazing

now we just need a Calvin-diver pissing on Malevelon

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
lmao

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1762976026580123657?s=20

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That's a stupid metric

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lol people follow the meta but are still bad at video games

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

flashman posted:

That's a stupid metric

Success is all that matters for democracy

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The breaker isn't ideal against the bots but it's so much stronger than the defender for example against the bugs it ain't even close.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried the Defender last night and wasn't really feeling it. It is very nice having a weapon that can reliably be used one handed, it was very helpful on the SSSD mission, but I think I'd rather have a Breaker. I really should go back and try the starter rifle again too, I only really used the explosive variant which I also kinda like.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Owl Inspector posted:

Helldivers do bad things for a fascist empire but they’re also literal teenagers who were indoctrinated with lies, given less than 15 minutes of training and shipped straight to the front lines to get ground into paste in a conflict of their own regime’s design. The game’s presentation is too comedic and satirical for it to feel bad, but more abstractly it’s deeply sad that every one of your respawns is just an 18-year-old who had no idea what they were signing up for, screaming out to meaningless concepts moments before death like “LIBERTY SAVE ME” because hollow enforced patriotism is the only thing they know

don't doxx me

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

explosivo posted:

I tried the Defender last night and wasn't really feeling it. It is very nice having a weapon that can reliably be used one handed, it was very helpful on the SSSD mission, but I think I'd rather have a Breaker. I really should go back and try the starter rifle again too, I only really used the explosive variant which I also kinda like.

Going back to the Liberator was a really good time because it's an extremely reliable weapon. Punisher is still my favorite, though. Too bad about it being not that great against bots.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh word? The people who are endlessly farming the Eliminate missions are just using whatever default gun they have because it doesn't matter? What an insight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

The defender and liberator close in damage (defender edges it out a bit) but it's like less than half of the breaker.

Either can drop an exposed charger leg in a magazine though so it's no big deal. I would say you can almost do two off a breaker mag though.