Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FAUXTON posted:

hey let's hear more about what your idea of progress looks like

Orbs posted:

*looks at current world* Not like this? lol

Let's not do this in here actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Grand Fromage posted:

Let's not do this in here actually.
Of course, thank you for the reminder.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can identity historical period by which paradox game covers them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

You can identity historical period by which paradox game covers them

but then how do the paradox peeps decide, eh?

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Renaissance is definitely the worst choice. Thirty Years War isn’t even Renaissance. Mughals-Renaissance? Sengoku Jidai? The Songhai Empire?

Insanity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

When the game mechanics stop working well

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tunicate posted:

This hasnt stopped them from stopping EU4 before the Napoleonic times, which they should have cut the timeline back to end in 1789 a long time ago because the EU series absolutely does not model Napoleonic Warfare at all.

edit: poo poo, this is not a games thread, sorry, will not perpetuate this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vibes

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Tunicate posted:

So at game start then? :v: (jk, I love paradox games)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

They asked Erl Bademar and he told them they were in the Erly Modern Period. Duh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll let Mehmet II know.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Coming from an arts background, I found the term a bit confusing too. Modern is very much late 1800's to mid 1900's. 1600s being Early Modern in that context is eyebrow raising.

I propose we bring historical periods in line with artistic style terms and periods. Which means we can get on with more important things, like arguing whether the 30 years war is late Mannerist or Baroque.

I believe Peter Brown coining "late antiquity" as a (sub)periodization was at least partially inspired by art historians, who had started writing about the changes in Roman aesthetics from the 2nd century to the 4th and 5th.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kylaer posted:

I acknowledge the existence of the term Early Modern and I absolutely hate it and think they should find any other name for that period. Early Modern is so devoid of meaning.

I like it personally. It's a bit silly in that the word modern is bound to get replaced with something as the year continues to increment and we decide on some new epochal boundary, but I still think it works for now. There is an early modern period where we see the roots of globalization, colonialism, and increasing state capacity, and a late modern period from approx the French Revolution to the present that features the developed state of those systems plus fun new political ideologies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space age, then internet age

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Proper categorisation of human history:
Axe-age
Sword-age (shields are sundered)
Wind-age
Wolf-age (ere the world falls)

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 1, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Common Era
Universal Calendar
Imperial Calendar
New Imperial Calendar

Simple

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

we have not yet left.. THE AGE OF FIRE

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

we have not yet left.. THE AGE OF FIRE

Please stop rekindling the flame.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p3DzUwxI0o

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I sometimes think about this song when thinking about ecological breakdown. It *really* is everywhere you look in the historical and archeological record, ever since the neolithic. Humans have been altering and degrading the biosphere for thousands of years, and we keep forgetting and re-discovering this fact because of the shifting baseline syndrome. There were people in bronze age China writing about how all the large animals were gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEYc8ar2Bpw

Kids born in 2010 don't realize that thunderstorms in February weren't normal 30 years ago.

Also if you haven't listened to It's the End of the World as We Know It in a long time it's got a great three part vocal harmony going on that can get lost in the mix if you've only ever heard it in passing. I think on the last two choruses it's actually four part harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyBtMPqpNY

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2024

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arglebargle III posted:

I sometimes think about this song when thinking about ecological breakdown. It *really* is everywhere you look in the historical and archeological record, ever since the neolithic. Humans have been altering and degrading the biosphere for thousands of years, and we keep forgetting and re-discovering this fact because of the shifting baseline syndrome. There were people in bronze age China writing about how all the large animals were gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEYc8ar2Bpw

Kids born in 2010 don't realize that thunderstorms in February weren't normal 30 years ago.

Also if you haven't listened to It's the End of the World as We Know It in a long time it's got a great three part vocal harmony going on that can get lost in the mix if you've only ever heard it in passing. I think on the last two choruses it's actually four part harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyBtMPqpNY

It's a major theme of Gilgamesh too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is outside the thread's stated scope but this is effectively the medieval history thread as well. When the Norse arrived in Greenland, was it already inhabited?

I had originally heard that Greenland was occupied sporadically but the population always ended up dying out or leaving because Greenland just isn't a very nice place to live, and the Norse were just one entry in a long line of that, with most of the waves coming from North America. But I saw some people talking about contact between Norse and Inuit people in Greenland, and a bit of searching suggests there was a wave of migration from North America while the Norse were still there; but it's surprisingly hard to get a straight answer on whether anybody was already there when the Norse arrived. Anyone in here know?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There were definitely people on Greenland, there's evidence of occupation going back like 4000 years. However it's also likely that the indigenous people occupied different areas than the Norse settled. We know for sure there were contacts between the Norse and native peoples, they're reasonably well documented, but said documentation is really limited, which is why it's still very up in the air.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hear so much about wartime leaders in classical history, but what are some good peacetime leaders? I'm not sold on the idea that war is the best of history, but it struck me reading someone's recent post that all I've encountered of the classical world is accounts of war or deadly political intrigues.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some of that in this thread is just that it started Rome focused, and the Romans were essentially always at war. Hadrian's about as close to a good peacetime leader I can think of in the Roman context.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Antoninus Pius inherited from Hadrian a mostly healthy empire and spent his reign on making it even better in almost every respect without ever commanding a single legion, so I think he qualifies. It's kinda funny that he gets overlooked as an emperor exactly because he didn't have to fight any wars, he was just a diligent administrator who spent his long time as princeps on providing public amenities like aqueducts and theatres.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I get the Romans were always fighting someone somewhere, but I always thought of Octavius/Augustus as pretty much the "you wish you were this good" peace time leader/administrator.

Sure the start was absolutely ginormous civil wars but the guy lived a looong time.

Were the other conflicts of his reign big "real" wars or just smaller border things that don't really affect the transitioning empire as a whole overly?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
'Peace'. I hate that word. If there's no wars then there's no triumph and influx of gold and slaves. Peace - what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!!!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Were the other conflicts of his reign big "real" wars or just smaller border things that don't really affect the transitioning empire as a whole overly?

I know about Drusus campaign and the Varian Disaster, but how much of a difference does all this back and forth with Germany make? I don't know because the version of the story I've heard focuses on the theatrics of battle plans and the drama of dying in battle or narrowly escaping in order to send a messenger. It doesn't answer the question "did it really matter?"

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 1, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Illyrian auxiliary revolt was pretty serious. Not just as a military conflict (although it was, it took Tiberius + Germanicus + between a third and a half of the entire army four years to put down) but because the administrative and military structures put in place there after the Romans won provided the basis for the Latinized Danubian military aristocracy which eventually created the later empire.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is outside the thread's stated scope but this is effectively the medieval history thread as well. When the Norse arrived in Greenland, was it already inhabited?

I had originally heard that Greenland was occupied sporadically but the population always ended up dying out or leaving because Greenland just isn't a very nice place to live, and the Norse were just one entry in a long line of that, with most of the waves coming from North America. But I saw some people talking about contact between Norse and Inuit people in Greenland, and a bit of searching suggests there was a wave of migration from North America while the Norse were still there; but it's surprisingly hard to get a straight answer on whether anybody was already there when the Norse arrived. Anyone in here know?

Greenland is loving huge, and the Dorset/Inuit settlers focused on areas where they could easily hunt seals and whales, while the Norse settled in areas where they might see grass every now and then and put ships out to sea. They weren't really looking for the same thing so the contact wasn't extensive

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Not being at war is boooooooring.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Crab Dad posted:

Not being at war is boooooooring.

OK Ares

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aww, Kevin Smith :smith:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Was the Confederate States of America the largest seccessionist territory in the time since Westphalian Nation-States? I'm pretty sure it was the bloodiest secessionist war until the Bolshevik wars.

edit- Meant to post this in milhist.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 2, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

South America not count?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Baron Porkface posted:

Was the Confederate States of America the largest seccessionist territory in the time since Westphalian Nation-States? I'm pretty sure it was the bloodiest secessionist war until the Bolshevik wars.

How do you like to define a secessionist war? E.g. the Brazilian independence war had a larger territory. And if you look at the Spanish American independence wars of 1810-1820's as one then that's even bigger in area.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It depends on how you are defining your terms but Tai Ping Rebellion very easily beats the US Civil war on scale of death/destruction, and is from around the same time.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 1, 2024

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i assume the difference between a secessionist rebellion and an independence war is whether or not they win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You could make an argument theirs a difference (even if blurry) between a colony attempting to gain independence from the imperial core/metropole i.e. Spanish North America , and a piece of the metropole trying to break it up ala the Confederacy.