Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
They really are too large lmao. The mass market copies are deeper than they are wide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Was thinking about Words of Radiance today, as one does.

I think one of my favorite moments in the book is a simple exchange.

Dalinar: You are the one I’ve been looking for.
Kaladin: Yes, I am.

It seems like such a simple exchange but it such a culmination and release for each character. There is such catharsis in that moment. It almost makes me tear up every time I think about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wait a minute, I was re-reading Warbreaker a couple of days ago because someone reminded me how cool Lightsong was and Nightblood there started pinging something in my brain from another cosmere book. Then I remembered the cheery shardblade that Szeth got at the end of WoR that wanted to destroy evil which was also black (unlike every other shard blade I've seen so far I think?). It also killed people with greed (?) like the other shard blades that Dalinar saw in his flashbacks.

I dunno if it's literally the same blade, but I think Nightsong might be a shardblade, though I haven't the foggiest idea how it could have gotten to Warbreaker's world.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait a minute, I was re-reading Warbreaker a couple of days ago because someone reminded me how cool Lightsong was and Nightblood there started pinging something in my brain from another cosmere book. Then I remembered the cheery shardblade that Szeth got at the end of WoR that wanted to destroy evil which was also black (unlike every other shard blade I've seen so far I think?). It also killed people with greed (?) like the other shard blades that Dalinar saw in his flashbacks.

I dunno if it's literally the same blade, but I think Nightsong might be a shardblade, though I haven't the foggiest idea how it could have gotten to Warbreaker's world.

lol. I will only say that. lol.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Nitrousoxide posted:

:aaaaa:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Minor spoiler:
It is literally the same blade. As for how it got there, the time and place is not known afaik, but if you read stormlight closely you may recognize more than just Nightblood from Warbreaker...

Major spoiler for more detail (FULL Stormlight and Warbreaker spoilers:
Nightblood is not a shardblade, and originates on the Warbreaker planet. It was brought to Roshar by characters from Warbreaker, who also show up directly as characters in stormlight, weapons master Zahel is Vasher, and Azure is Vivenna

Taffer fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 29, 2024

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Taffer posted:

deleted...

Another spoiler for more detail:
deleted

Nitrousoxide, don't read those spoilers if you haven't read Oathbringer.

Edit: corrected my mistake.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 29, 2024

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They should have since they mentioned Dalinar flashbacks, I wouldn't have posted that otherwise, but I'll give a bigger disclaimer

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I’ve not read Oathbreaker.

Luckily I don’t make a habit of uncovering spoilers in here

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think they mean Oathbringer :)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Err yeah, I’ve not read the 3rd book in the stormlight series. WoR was the last one I read. I paused that to go back and read mistborn era 2 and lost interest (like the last I’ve I tried era 2) and just never got back around to more cosmere because I got stuck in web serials.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think it's a spoiler to confirm that yes, the black sword that announces its presence with "Hello! Would you like to destroy some evil today?" is Nightblood, Sanderson was not playing that one for subtlety.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I know I should probably not be in this thread since I'm a total Sanderson novice, but I just wanted to say that I'm up to Chapter 9 of Way of Kings and am loving loving it so far. Easily the most engrossed I've been with a fantasy series since The Dark Tower.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Psycho Mantits posted:

I know I should probably not be in this thread since I'm a total Sanderson novice, but I just wanted to say that I'm up to Chapter 9 of Way of Kings and am loving loving it so far. Easily the most engrossed I've been with a fantasy series since The Dark Tower.

You are definitely welcome here. We tag stuff, just don't click on any spoilers unless the poster specifies a chapter you've read.

Please post all your thoughts and theories (behind spoiler bars)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Psycho Mantits posted:

Someobdy told you a horrible and cruel lie, clearly. We love newbies, we feed on their excitement. Please post your reactions as you go (in spoiler tags, to be polite to future newbies), they're so much fun to read.

You can also ask questions or discuss stuff with us as you're reading if you need/want to. You just need to know what RAFO means -- it's an acronym Sanderson invented, it means "read and find out". If you get RAFO'd that means that you know everything you're supposed to know and are asking the questions you're supposed to be asking. It happens a lot, because Sanderson is a book-writing android who escaped from a secret Mormon lab and clockwork plots the everloving gently caress out of his stuff.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
WoR - Chapter 59

I love Wit. Instead of just typically reading the chapter, I sang his song.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Psycho Mantits posted:

Welcome to the club. Way of Kings is a fantastic book, but buckle up because it only gets more insane.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Still getting a handle on the characters and world but I think my favorite thing about the book thus far, beyond the "magic and giant swords" stuff that appeals to me in the same way Final Fantasy and Dark Souls does, is Sanderson's prose. His style is easy to read while also being very engrossing. Makes the prospect of getting through a 1,000-page book (and several-thousand-page series) much more manageable.

My last dabble with a full fantasy series was The Witcher, which I finished and very much enjoyed overall but still struggled to get through parts of, since the plot meandered and the language (likely due to being a translation) felt stuffy at times.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Psycho Mantits posted:

Still getting a handle on the characters and world but I think my favorite thing about the book thus far, beyond the "magic and giant swords" stuff that appeals to me in the same way Final Fantasy and Dark Souls does, is Sanderson's prose. His style is easy to read while also being very engrossing. Makes the prospect of getting through a 1,000-page book (and several-thousand-page series) much more manageable.

Sanderson gets too much poo poo for his prose. Yeah, he's not a poet but his stuff is exciting and often inspiring.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Psycho Mantits posted:

My last dabble with a full fantasy series was The Witcher, which I finished and very much enjoyed overall but still struggled to get through parts of, since the plot meandered and the language (likely due to being a translation) felt stuffy at times.

To me, at least, Sanderson writes his books like a TV Show or Movie. It is straightforward to read and flow with. But when you start discussing what you read, use spoiler tags and tag the appropriate chapter. We'll love giving you bits and pieces to keep you going. And tell us all the predictions you make.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just one correction, RAFO was invented by Robert Jordan and not Brandon.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Just one correction, RAFO was invented by Robert Jordan and not Brandon.

First example vs best example, then? Because I also associate RAFO much more strongly with Sanderson than with Jordan.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grundulum posted:

First example vs best example, then? Because I also associate RAFO much more strongly with Sanderson than with Jordan.

That's because Sanderson is still alive to use it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I prefer Sanderson's prose because it makes going through books just easier - especially for audiobooks.

I remember trying the audiobook for Perdido Street Station. I made it a couple hours in and just had a headache. I'm sure the book is good, but boooooy was it not a book made for audiobooks.

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally like a book with dense prose - just in the way that I like some dense, decadent chocolate cake. But I'm only going to take a few bites of that cake before I need a break.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 66

So Moah is now a shardbearer. Indeed, this does not backfire, right? Also, it's cool to see Adolin coming around to Kaladin and locking himself up in the prison with him. That may end up being a deadly duo if they end up fighting together.

Also, I love Sanderson tells us (the readers), "So Shallan has a shardblade. No idea where or how she got it, but she does have one, and she knows how to use it." So overpowered.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 66

So Moah is now a shardbearer. Indeed, this does not backfire, right? Also, it's cool to see Adolin coming around to Kaladin and locking himself up in the prison with him. That may end up being a deadly duo if they end up fighting together.

Also, I love Sanderson tells us (the readers), "So Shallan has a shardblade. No idea where or how she got it, but she does have one, and she knows how to use it." So overpowered.

What sort of backfire were you expecting?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grundulum posted:

Because I also associate RAFO much more strongly with Sanderson than with Jordan.

yeah in addition to being the only one still alive, he gets it from being a big nerd in the early internet robert jordan fandom before he had much personal success

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

What sort of backfire were you expecting?

Giving Moash, the guy who wants the King killed, a full armor set and shardblade surelyyyyy won't backfire, right? Right??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Giving Moash, the guy who wants the King killed, a full armor set and shardblade surelyyyyy won't backfire, right? Right??
Ah, I see. I didn't know if you were afraid of a repeat of what happened last time Kaladin earned a set of Blade and Plate.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Ah, I see. I didn't know if you were afraid of a repeat of what happened last time Kaladin earned a set of Blade and Plate.

Hahahah..I'm a little terrified.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Hahahah..I'm a little terrified.

It'll probably be fine.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Well, I finally finished Sunlit Man the other day, which puts me at having read every cosmere book available. God drat Sunlit was such a great love letter to fans, it scratched all the itches and ended extremely well. I get to read Sanderson vicariously through my girlfriend, who's on Well of Ascension, and my best friend, who's making good progress on the cosmere and started Warbreaker last week. So incredibly jealous that they get to visit those stories for the first time, I wish I could erase my memory and relive them again anew.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

yeah in addition to being the only one still alive, he gets it from being a big nerd in the early internet robert jordan fandom before he had much personal success

Sanderson is the heir to many of Jordan's creations, and he's rightfully proud to have carried on the legacy of frustrating fans with RAFO even if he's done writing WOT books.

Ironically he's way way way less secretive than Jordan ever was.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My favorite story about him finishing WoT is that the only explanation in jordan's notes of who killed asmodean was a printout of a fanfic where sherlock holmes solves the mystery, and a penciled in note "this is correct"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Well, I finally finished Sunlit Man the other day, which puts me at having read every cosmere book available. God drat Sunlit was such a great love letter to fans, it scratched all the itches and ended extremely well. I get to read Sanderson vicariously through my girlfriend, who's on Well of Ascension, and my best friend, who's making good progress on the cosmere and started Warbreaker last week. So incredibly jealous that they get to visit those stories for the first time, I wish I could erase my memory and relive them again anew.

After me talking about Stormlight Archive so much, my wife has started TWoK, so it has been fun hearing her updates from that. Her experience with Sanderson has been me reading her Mistborn Era 1 & 2 (Minus Lost Metal) and listening to the graphic audio for Warbreaker.

She puts my listening to shame because she has far more time to listen. I gotta get moving again or she'll surpass me.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

My favorite story about him finishing WoT is that the only explanation in jordan's notes of who killed asmodean was a printout of a fanfic where sherlock holmes solves the mystery, and a penciled in note "this is correct"

That's amazing. Is the specific fanfic publicly known?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anshu posted:

That's amazing. Is the specific fanfic publicly known?

https://fanfiction.net/s/4975913/1/Sherlock-Holmes-Examines-the-Death-of-Asmodean

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I reached the end of Part 4 in WoR and...

Here. We. Go—the assault onto the plains. Kaladin lost his powers and Syl. Shallan knows how to find the Oathgate. Somehow, Kaladin and Shallan still don't know each other's true powers. Ahhh, poo poo, this ending is about to be insane. Also, a green gem heart is new. I wonder if that is significant.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Side note: I heard you can read Oathbringer without having to worry about callbacks or Easter eggs to other books within the Cosmere universe. Is that the same for Rhythm of War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Every cosmere series is standalone, its only the easter eggs you get if you read other stuff. And depending on the order you can find different fun ways to discover those connections from different angles.

You don't need to have read anything other than tWoK, WoR, and oathbringer to fully enjoy RoW.