Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When working on trailers for my game, my rule of thumb was that it would take me most of a work week (call it 30+ hours) to produce a new trailer, going from no footage to finished video. And that was for 60 seconds of footage, granted that they were a really tightly-choreographed 60 seconds. Video editing is hard and time-consuming work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even a brief video without fancy editing can take a long time if it's being made from many hours of footage that has to be sifted through.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Also, odds are that good editing is nearly invisible to most people, but bad editing is glaringly obvious.

It's me, I'm the bad editor :negative:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this attitude does explain a lot about Jerry's posting

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The lack of star wipes in videos these days shows that editing has gone backwards.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Inceltown posted:

The lack of star wipes in videos these days shows that editing has gone backwards.

This is actually why I love editing the videos my 6-yo makes, because I can do all the wacky transitions and effects and she loves it, just absolutely loves it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The thing about all the "it actually takes fifty hours to edit one of these twenty-minute videos!" that I'm not sure I appreciate is... why? Does someone actually care? Is there actual data that shows a professional level of editing makes a difference? I mean I don't give a gently caress as long as the sound doesn't crackle and the intro is no more than three seconds. Do other people?

I think this is a topic of which I'm not really familiar with, but in doing audio editing it usually takes me about twenty minutes to produce three minutes of good audio. Actually probably a lot longer, really.

If it's like a 5 minute recording, let's say, then almost every subsequent step will require re-listening to those 5 minutes at least once. Cutting out unnecessary parts, relistening to it over and over to make sure it stays cohesive and there isn't any sudden cuts or something that sounds unnatural, or removes something that was not useful at one point but referenced later in a place that can't be cut. Adding fades and edits to make sure speech sounds natural and isn't full of jagged stops. Then locating copyright free music, going through many samples to find one that sounds right, finding one that fits the scene, having to listen to the entire clip to pick out the best part of the music to use for the scene. Locating sound effects, making sure the sound effects have a level of fidelity that isn't different than the rest of the audio. Then going over it a few more times to make sure that the music comes in right, making sure sound effects come in right, making sure all the tracks sync correctly, making sure the music isn't overly loud and cutting out vocals, making sure vocals aren't overly loud. Then going through all that a few more times to make last adjustments regarding reverb and other considerations, then normalizing the audio, then finally give it one or two good listens just to ensure I didn't miss anything.

If you want to make a clean and well-presented media, it takes at least that long. I don't do video editing, but I imagine when you are you have to do all the stuff I just talked about with audio and double that for video related things. Fifty hours for a twenty minute video sounds like about the right amount if you really want to make a really good product. Well... okay, fifty hours does seem like a bit much to me, but again I don't do video, so I don't know :shrug:

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 28, 2024

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

On the extreme end you have guys like max0r, who puts in something like 8 hours for each minute of video, which is madness considering his videos are all like this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

I think this is a topic of which I'm not really familiar with, but in doing audio editing it usually takes me about twenty minutes to produce three minutes of good audio. Actually probably a lot longer, really.

If it's like a 5 minute recording, let's say, then almost every subsequent step will require re-listening to those 5 minutes at least once. Cutting out unnecessary parts, relistening to it over and over to make sure it stays cohesive and there isn't any sudden cuts or something that sounds unnatural, or removes something that was not useful at one point but referenced later in a place that can't be cut. Adding fades and edits to make sure speech sounds natural and isn't full of jagged stops. Then locating copyright free music, going through many samples to find one that sounds right, finding one that fits the scene, having to listen to the entire clip to pick out the best part of the music to use for the scene. Locating sound effects, making sure the sound effects have a level of fidelity that isn't different than the rest of the audio. Then going over it a few more times to make sure that the music comes in right, making sure sound effects come in right, making sure all the tracks sync correctly, making sure the music isn't overly loud and cutting out vocals, making sure vocals aren't overly loud. Then going through all that a few more times to make last adjustments regarding reverb and other considerations, then normalizing the audio, then finally give it one or two good listens just to ensure I didn't miss anything.

If you want to make a clean and well-presented media, it takes at least that long. I don't do video editing, but I imagine when you are you have to do all the stuff I just talked about with audio and double that for video related things. Fifty hours for a twenty minute video sounds like about the right amount if you really want to make a really good product. Well... okay, fifty hours does seem like a bit much to me, but again I don't do video, so I don't know :shrug:

Did you notice you didn't answer any of my questions?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The thing about all the "it actually takes fifty hours to edit one of these twenty-minute videos!" that I'm not sure I appreciate is... why? Does someone actually care?

Yes.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is there actual data that shows a professional level of editing makes a difference?

Probably.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I mean I don't give a gently caress as long as the sound doesn't crackle and the intro is no more than three seconds. Do other people?

Yes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean I think everyone's doing a pretty good job explaining it. It's not like you take a fully-formed clip and just cut out a few mistakes. At minimum, you have to watch multiple separate pieces of footage to figure out what the good and bad parts even are. That takes at least as much time as the footage itself, there's really no way around that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

More people should try this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When an unstoppable goon meets an immovable goon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mrpwase posted:

Yes.

Probably.

Yes.

See this is how you should not only reply to posts but also make the You Tubes! "Cut out the bad bits" lmao don't film any bad bits (this advice was free no need to thank me!)!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

This is actually why I love editing the videos my 6-yo makes, because I can do all the wacky transitions and effects and she loves it, just absolutely loves it.

Just to use this example again, this little seven-minute video about making cinnamon buns took me like a full loving day to edit the footage and I wasn't even trying to be glossy or professional. Granted I have no semblance of a workflow seeing as I'm not a video editor, so I imagine you can make the process more efficient or even automated in places, but if you're anal as gently caress video editing seems like an opportune place to get utterly lost in minute alterations.

Sound editing is the same way; I can't tell you how many hours I've sunk into a song that didn't seem like it would need hours of work, just because there's so many little A/B tests and listen-thrus and maybe this whole section should be moved and...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Layla isn't by Eric Clapton. It's by some dude called Derek.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Layla isn't by Eric Clapton. It's by some dude called Derek.

Not sure if this is a bit but Derek and the Dominos is an Eric Clapton project with nobody named Derek in it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Layla was mastered in exactly 7 minutes 6 seconds using what is now known as the Derek method. 7 minutes 4 seconds to record the music, 1 seconds to hit the start button, and 1 seconds to hit the stop button.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The band Derek and the Dominos has no one named Derek in it? Get out of here with that postmodern bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When Larry Guitar left Larry and the Lefthanded, they changed the name of the band to And the Lefthanded. Now that's integrity!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't think I have the answer to any of your questions, so I just submitted my experience in hopes it might help you reach the answers yourself, but also to engage in conversation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This week isn't next week. It's not a week to elopement day, it's elopement day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
"Throwing Bones" does not refer to craps/dice. It's dominos.

Makes no sense to me, since some of the original dice/proto-dice were often made from animal knuckle bones.

V V V Sure, but unless I've been playing dominos wrong my whole life, you don't throw them. V V V

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I mean, weren't dominos made from bone as well?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DrBouvenstein posted:

Makes no sense to me, since some of the original dice/proto-dice were often made from animal knuckle bones.

what's the source?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

V V V Sure, but unless I've been playing dominos wrong my whole life, you don't throw them. V V V

it's more of a cross-pollinated reference because dominoes, or rather semi-dominoes-like-things, were thrown for divination purposes.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

it's more of a cross-pollinated reference because dominoes, or rather semi-dominoes-like-things, were thrown for divination purposes.

that makes more sense

all the search results I'm getting for variations on "throw bones" are osteomancy

OED has bones meaning dice as far back as 1386

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

You "roll the bones" for dice, no? I've never heard "throwing bones."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I might have just used the term "throwing" myself when being a silly little goose to my girlfriend. My friends and I have a gaming night, and I jokingly said we were "throwing bones" when she once asked me what games we play. I also made a craps-throwing motion.

She then corrected me that "bones" are dominos, not dice.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If you think about it, dominoes are kind of just really lovely dice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dice also make for some pretty lovely dominoes, so that checks out

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dominoes do kind of look like dice that have been dice-sected :dadjoke:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When I was in jail I once helped a guy get a domino shoved into his penis. They call them canicas; basically someone gets hold of a domino, goes into the shower where there is grip tape, and they spend days sanding that motherfucker down. Using the grip tape that's probably covered in fungus, piss, and semen. Then when the domino is sanded down into the shape of a heart or diamond, three of us go into a bathroom stall. The first guy sits down on the stall, the second guy (me) holds his dick over a toilet paper roll, and a third guy makes two cuts using a razor blade. You have to cut in two spots to let the air out. The domino is shoved into the slit, and it sort of sits between skin layers on the top of the penis. Super glue seals the cuts. Then you just pray, pray, pray, pray you don't get a staph infection.

edit: I got a soda out of the deal

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 29, 2024

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

dude what the gently caress

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

When I was in jail I once helped a guy get a domino shoved into his penis. They call them canicas; basically someone gets hold of a domino, goes into the shower where there is grip tape, and they spend days sanding that motherfucker down. Using the grip tape that's probably covered in fungus, piss, and semen. Then when the domino is sanded down into the shape of a heart or diamond, three of us go into a bathroom stall. The first guy sits down on the stall, the second guy (me) holds his dick over a toilet paper roll, and a third guy makes two cuts using a razor blade. You have to cut in two spots to let the air out. The domino is shoved into the slit, and it sort of sits between skin layers on the top of the penis. Super glue seals the cuts. Then you just pray, pray, pray, pray you don't get a staph infection.

Was the guy an inmate or?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Freakin' credburn man

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

credburn posted:

Hmm, prison seems less boring than I'd imagined. Is this some thing the inmates do to make themselves more attractive to other prisoners?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

credburn posted:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Was the guy an inmate or?

Yeah, he was an inmate.

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, prison seems less boring than I'd imagined. Is this some thing the inmates do to make themselves more attractive to other prisoners?

Well, it wasn't prison where this happened, just jail. Most of us were there only a couple weeks or months, depending on if we were fighting our case, or about to be sent to prison. However, in this case, the guy getting the canica was actually heading to prison. Maybe it's harder to get dick dominoes in prison than jail? I don't know why someone would want it who isn't going to be having sex with women -- lots of guys had them, and they would talk about how it drives women mad with sex ecstasy. They also said it makes anal sex "impossible" but, I don't know.

I was there for the experience and the promise of a warm Dr. Pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Grip tape?