Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want me to use items make them infinite but on a cooldown I control (this can even be a shop where I can buy more) instead of making me hunt in levels for them as I have no idea how many you deemed appropriate to give. It goes back to my belief these systems are great for a second playthrough, bad for a first.

Edit: The shotgun in Wrath is stupid good cause the alt fire basically turns the shotgun into a ranged weapon so you can defeat the legally not a Cacodemon and other beefy foes with an incredible amount of ammo conservation. This is especially important when the game is very stingy with the size of ammo refils for the Not a Nailgun and the Not a Plasma Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Shotguns are ranged weapons though?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

The Primary fire sure as hell aint in Wrath. It has an effective range that might be shorter than the charged sword, which deals an absolute truckload of damage, so high in fact they had to give a basic enemy a horrid that weapon specific counter so you dont just use it 90% of the time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I did get a chance to play the vault mission in DF Remastered tonight and it was pretty awesome. It eventually turns into something that resembles the actual first mission but for a while they're going for a faithful recreation of a star destroyer. It's got a lot of cool stuff but I can definitely see why they felt it would be too complicated for a first mission. It's cool to see how they wanted to show off their 3D floors, they use quite a few. And I'm impressed they did actually get it to be playable from start to finish (though the blue key is really hard to get, there's definitely too much tricky crouch-jumping here). Apparently Lucius was directly involved in getting this one working.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sure do feel silly in Wrath when I use a save item then turn a corner to find a shrine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I honestly think the traditional powerup method of giving you something right before you need to use it and it activates as soon as you pick it up might be best. You see a megasphere or a quad damage or whatever, you know poo poo's about to get serious.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I hate manually activated power up items. Unless it gets a lot harder they don't seem too necessary either.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I like power-ups that activate on pick-up--with the exception of AMID EVIL's original "Soul Mode", which frequently activated at the rear end-end of a fight and was thus useless as often as it was useful.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I only want powerups on demand, else I never feel like I use them well

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arivia posted:

Shotguns are actually melee weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Deakul posted:

Only in bad dev's eyes

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Deakul posted:

Alt mode - use shotgun to hit enemy in jaw. 4000% increased damage, just like the movies

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rack the shotgun is the alt fire. Doesn't do anything, but it looks cool as poo poo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Looks like the Dark Forces remaster added Steam Cloud support overnight!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Milo and POTUS posted:

I only want powerups on demand, else I never feel like I use them well

This happened to me a lot with Doom 2016 because they'd hide powerups in hard to reach spots and I'd only find them after clearing the arena.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Rack the shotgun is the alt fire. Doesn't do anything, but it looks cool as poo poo

you can hold it to shoot a long range slug.

i didn't pay attention to wrath at all while it was in EA and the 1.0 release is really fun. feels like a great quake clone. if it had been out a few years ago and didn't have the lingering stench of early access, i think it would have been really lauded.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

i didn't pay attention to wrath at all while it was in EA and the 1.0 release is really fun. feels like a great quake clone. if it had been out a few years ago and didn't have the lingering stench of early access, i think it would have been really lauded.

You can filter by date in Steam, in the user reviews. Since release it had 38 reviews, 36 positive and 2 negative, and one of the negative ones is by some technical issue with amd drivers. That's a 94% positive mark.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
sounds about right, i remember the complaints being 1) this game has been in early access for 10 million years (valid complaint but didn't affect me) 2) they basically ripped people off by selling it full price at the start of early access and four years later it was still in early access but sold as bundle trash (also valid but that's how i got the game so i'm not complaining).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Foul Fowl posted:

Oh I was talking about how I liked the alt fire back when I played it last year. I just meant in general

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a level in Wrath that has over 700 enemies, but you can finish with less than half that enemies killed and I guess I might wonder what I missed someday, but the level was already long enough.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Barudak posted:

Theres a level in Wrath that has over 700 enemies, but you can finish with less than half that enemies killed and I guess I might wonder what I missed someday, but the level was already long enough.

It has to be a mega secret, but I couldn't find it either. And I was all over that map, I swear.

e: Actually, the devs on the discord are saying it's a bug with the counter.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 29, 2024

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
New Civvie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTN75L0ZeA

Eradicator. Never played this one.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Terminator: Resistance and it's DLC is on sale: https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

...as is their newer Robocop game, which I got cheap on GOG a few days ago and am enjoying thoroughly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The Robocop game is good fun aside from the final boss which is just a waste of everyone's time.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

New Civvie

Li'l :evilbuddy:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Dark Forces remaster got 4/5 stars at Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/star-wars-dark-forces-remaster-review-a-meticulous-overhaul-of-a-shooter-that-still-blasts-with-the-best

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

New Civvie

Oh hell yeah, that's a priority watch! I picked up Eradicator on a Steam sale ages ago and put a couple hours into it - it's fun and plays smooth for such an old game, but I remember being befuddled by them dealing with having over 10 weapons by having you actually type, like, '1' then '5' to access weapon fifteen

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

that's a really good deal. never played the dlc but resistance is well worth that price

too bad robocop runs like poo poo on my pc i wanted to play that

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh poo poo, I just lost 20 minutes of play in Wrath Aeon because I wasn't using the saves, lol. I am so much a hoarder, that's the issue. I was doing it so well that it seemed really not needed, I was at 100 hp and some armor, so it didn't occur to me to save despite having 15 save items, then a pair of tough monsters charged me when opening a door and blowed me up, and before I noticed I was dead. :(

I really like the pistol, it's super accurate so is your unofficial sniper rifle, and it usually stun lock any low level enemy a bit, so it's very safe as long as you can kill one by one.

I also like these long, epic levels. I was exploring a swamp, and fell to a sewer that had below a crypt... and you know, I know the whole thing could have been split in two different levels, and functionally it would have been the same, but imo having it being a single big level creates this feeling of adventure, of finding new areas on your own and deciding to explore them organically.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Wrath is pretty fun so far, nice sound design, good atmosphere, but I'm not sure how I feel about the weapon balance. I find that 99% of the time I'm falling back to the melee weapon cause it seems to instagib nearly everything? There's enemies that take multiple shotgun rounds before they die, or a single rightclick with melee. It launches you really far too, kill multiple enemies in one thrust, and you can bunnyhop to keep momentum going so you have great maneuverability with it which lets you get up close to everything, even get some air to hit flying enemies.

I don't have all the weapons yet but here's my experience so far:
Pistol is good for taking out enemies at long range, secondary fire works kinda like a slightly weaker shotgun, but if I'm that close, why waste my ammo when I can just melee?
Shotgun feels nice, good damage output, secondary fire's ricochet mode is kinda weird unless you're enclosed in a tiny room, but with its long chargeup time, why waste 4 rounds when I can just melee?
Fang gun seems to serve the same purpose as the pistol except it's not hitscan. Its limited ammo pool makes me wonder if the secondary rapidfire mode is worth it, it is strong but it's inaccurate, so you need to be close. Again, back to melee.
Cyst launcher feels like a less useful grenade launcher. Primary fire is sticky so you need direct hits or you'll have to shoot the cysts when they land, but the blast radius is really tiny, damage output is questionable. Usually in a game like this I save grenades for the big tanky enemies, but poking them a few times with the blade is much faster

The small ammo limit and the sheer amount of enemies also makes me prioritize melee. Maybe it changes later? I've only cleared 2 levels so far.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does the game automatically save when you "complete" a level in WRATH, or do you have to burn a save/shrine?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does the game automatically save when you "complete" a level in WRATH, or do you have to burn a save/shrine?

It autosaves. It'd be nice to see an indicator in the pause menu though, like when the last save was. There's not even a confirmation if you click "depart" so it feels a little risky if you aren't completely sure of when the last save was.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

HolyKrap posted:

It autosaves. It'd be nice to see an indicator in the pause menu though, like when the last save was. There's not even a confirmation if you click "depart" so it feels a little risky if you aren't completely sure of when the last save was.

Nice, thanks. Only beat one level so far (Mire) but it definitely feels like more Arcane Dimensions so....I'm down for it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Exactly, it saves when you reach a new level (into a separate autosave slot)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The sword charge is definitely good in Wrath but a number of enemies explode on death. Beware of lumpy green guys. But you can use it on most other things.

The best use case I have found for the shotgun alt is to snipe cacodemons from a distance, they’re much nastier than I remember from the demo version and the fang gun runs out of ammo too quickly to fight more than a couple. Only cleared Undercrofts and Mire so far though.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 29, 2024

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

site posted:

that's a really good deal. never played the dlc but resistance is well worth that price

too bad robocop runs like poo poo on my pc i wanted to play that

I was sort of appalled at first when the initial shader compilation grinds so hard that the menu is an unresponsive mess… and then, after about a minute, it smoothed out. It’s running well on my SFF family PC; the Ryzen 5700GE with an RTX 4060 seems to do fine with DLSS at 1440p75 and mostly high visuals, and it looks great. I think the jank is kind of endearing, even if not-quite-Dan-O’Herlihy’s voice actor really doesn’t go with his model. Whatever reviewer said this would have been the game to beat in 2005 was bang-on. Rogue City and FEAR would be a hell of a double feature.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Really guys, don't sleep on Terminator Resistance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMb7FvFJxg

It's basically the closest we'll get to a remake of the Skynet/Futureshock fpses of yesteryear!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hasturtium posted:

I was sort of appalled at first when the initial shader compilation grinds so hard that the menu is an unresponsive mess… and then, after about a minute, it smoothed out. It’s running well on my SFF family PC; the Ryzen 5700GE with an RTX 4060 seems to do fine with DLSS at 1440p75 and mostly high visuals, and it looks great. I think the jank is kind of endearing, even if not-quite-Dan-O’Herlihy’s voice actor really doesn’t go with his model. Whatever reviewer said this would have been the game to beat in 2005 was bang-on. Rogue City and FEAR would be a hell of a double feature.

On my i7-9750 and gtx 1660ti I get like 45-55fps on low with 1080p fsr balanced lol

site fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Terminator Resistance was also a bit roughly optimised at launch, however they did make a few huge patches that made it a lot better. RoboCop: Rogue City didn't really run great on my 1080 but was fun enough to be playable.