Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

man I just remembered that 2.1 had no voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can I switch the language back to English at this point? Or will it still be... uh... "interesting" direction?

Do you like British soap opera and commercial actors?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I know I do, I get a kick out of it when people dig up obscure commercials with the VAs.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can I switch the language back to English at this point? Or will it still be... uh... "interesting" direction?

The great VA switcheroo doesn't happen until heavensward.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm rooting for Tataru to notice you some day Wedge.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I am pretty sure that getting noticed by Tataru is a... bad thing.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, there really are like 30 minutes of credits after ARR's end like a single player game huh? lol

ARR's credit also include the list of (paid) players that were there for the end of the vanilla game they nuked. Lecacy characters also have a special tatoo texture on their body, and two (?) special mounts if they unlocked it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Picayune posted:

I am pretty sure that getting noticed by Tataru is a... bad thing.

Because it means you've been embezzling funds?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

genuinely excited by all of the xbawks new blood, i feel like im seeing a lot more sprouts than usual running around

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I am gonna play this game now that it's on Xbox.

something about the flat skin textures mixed with beautiful lighting and high resolution makes it look like like OG Playstation pre-rendered cut scene graphics and that rules

The pre-baked emotes they use also do a good job of calling back how they would "animate" characters back in the SNES days.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there a point to this NPC squadron stuff in the Grand Companies? I feel like it's just making some numbers bigger for some NPC's and a sink for my GC space bucks for no gain to my character himself.

If you have classes remaining under level 50 once they are maxed out they are probably the fastest way to level until 50 outside of roulettes, they do crazy damage and will melt bosses for you much faster than players can. 50+ it falls off to useless because they are very very stupid.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Maxing out your squadron does not seem like an easy task. I have completed all the Squadron stuff, got to max rank, unlocked all the emotes, and not a single one of my guys has maxed out offense. The amount of time you seem to need to get them to where they're really good seems to offset any advantages they provide. They were kinda nice when they were the only way to run lower-level dungeons without queueing, but now that there's Duty Support they've even lost that niche.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The MSQ and Job quests have been a breeze… until this Trial of Water lvl 15 Conjurer quest. I am suddenly stuck. These Antelope keep owning me and my healing doesn’t do much for these NPCs.

The instance indicated it would scale me back to lvl 19 - should I assume that’s the level I oughta be to do the fight?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It should be doable at the level the quest is for. The level scaling is just down-leveling you if you're overleveled too far.

that said, leveling up a few more times would obviously make it easier.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're not expected to be at the upper end of the level sync range of the quest, in general the game's assumption is you show up at the quest's level in level-appropriate gear. That said, healer quests are bad when they ask you to heal NPCs (because they're not in your party and you have to manually switch target a lot) and that CNJ quest is one of those bad quests. One big thing that will make or break some job quests is target priorities, although it shouldn't matter much in this specific quest - IIRC you will be focusing a single antelope while periodically dropping some heals on the guards (don't try to keep them at full HP though)?

E: Also don't feel bad to set quests like that to very easy if you fail them once.

Schwartzcough posted:

Maxing out your squadron does not seem like an easy task. I have completed all the Squadron stuff, got to max rank, unlocked all the emotes, and not a single one of my guys has maxed out offense. The amount of time you seem to need to get them to where they're really good seems to offset any advantages they provide. They were kinda nice when they were the only way to run lower-level dungeons without queueing, but now that there's Duty Support they've even lost that niche.

Because 1) you can customize and glamour them and 2) they're still faster than players with a few ranks in independent (let alone balanced or offense), I still prefer mildly-upgraded squaddies to duty support. Where they're actually usable, that is.

The big caveat is they're only viable in very limited level ranges. Up to Brayflox the levels go fast so being unable to run Haukke is no big deal, but 9 levels of Brayflox is not good, and 50-60 sucks again - not because squadrons can't handle HW ingeneral (you can just let them do their thing as they eat all the mechanics), but because you only have two dungeons available at 53 and 57, so it's tedious to both reach the HW squadron dungeons and then again to actually hit 60/61 with them to continue with SB.

So basically they're good for 20 to the early/mid 30s, great for 41-50, and for everything else you need/have better options.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 29, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nitrousoxide posted:

It should be doable at the level the quest is for. The level scaling is just down-leveling you if you're overleveled too far.

that said, leveling up a few more times would obviously make it easier.

Yeah the level scaling is there so it will still provide a challenge if you overlevel. May I suggest updating your gear, perhaps with the Hall of the Novice? Gear makes a big difference, even a level 15 weapon will up your healing potency by a good amount due to how damage scaling works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AndrewP posted:

The MSQ and Job quests have been a breeze… until this Trial of Water lvl 15 Conjurer quest. I am suddenly stuck. These Antelope keep owning me and my healing doesn’t do much for these NPCs.

The instance indicated it would scale me back to lvl 19 - should I assume that’s the level I oughta be to do the fight?

Some of the job quests are really weirdly tuned, and it's inconsistent (not like every level 53 duty is hard or something). I can't recall specifics of that one but the main thing that got me when leveling jobs recently was keeping my gear updated. It can be easy for things to fall behind when you're just focused on hitting all the easy XP stuff.

If you're not Free Trial you should check the marketboard to see what's on there for affordable (sometimes things are dirt cheap, sometimes they're really expensive because they're either needed for something niche or just a weird bubble). Especially weapons, this is a game where +1 or +2 damage on a stat stick makes a surprisingly large difference.

If you ARE on free trial, or can't afford the marketboard, then as far as gear there's some quests by the inns for the Hall of Novices, meant to show people how to play in a group and give them starter gear for dungeons. Their advice is kinda oriented around a different meta than players actually use (partially because the game design itself has changed since then) so don't take some of the info as gospel, but you'll walk out of it with level 15 gear for whatever role you do it on and that stuff holds up well. I'm not sure what vendors have available for weapons though. I'm sure there's somebody in the mess of vendors, probably labeled weapons or adventuring gear or something.

EDIT: actually, before buying anything off the marketboard find the weapon/armor vendors nearby and see what's available. At that level I think it'll actually be the same stuff, and probably cheaper from the vendor unless it's a point on some "how to level your crafter" guide so there's a bajillion being sold.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 29, 2024

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If gear is the issue, Hall of the Novice will teach you bad things but will reward you with level 15 left side armor on par with the drops from the 15-17 dungeons, plus a great ring you can use for most of ARR.

If you're on the free trial you can't use the market board, but the vendors in the three capital cities have cheap-ish gear for the level range. In case you're NOT on the free trial you can probably find goons willing to make you HQ items from vendor mats in a few minutes, too.

E: I would also like to refer to the item tooltip guide buried/linked somewhere in the OP, so you can avoid paying big gil on the market board for stuff that's cheaply available from a vendor :)

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 29, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the advice, I actually just got it done after trying again. I switched to a KB+M and zoomed my camera out some and all of a sudden the fight was more manageable, imagine that. I still think it was harder than the previous quests up to this point though

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Healer job quests in particular are pretty awful at low levels. Something I found that helps is focus-targeting the NPC you need to keep alive, then you can hit f10 (I believe- I just click on it) to target them. The T key also targets your target's target.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks.

Targeting with a controller is weird, I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I'd LIKE to, because it's easier to use a controller on the couch instead of having to pull out the KB+M. The zoom out was a big help though. Can you tell I don't have much experience with MMORPGs?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume there's a way to focus target someone and quick-target them with a controller, or a way to bind it somehow, since they seem to have covered all the bases for controller support pretty well. I mean controller players do Ultimates and poo poo. I've never tried playing that way though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Poke around in your config menus, there are a disgustingly vast range of options for controller targeting.

also, controller guide

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Being zoomed out as much as possible all the time is going to be a big help in anything serious.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
you can... i say "right-click" all the time even though I primarily use a controller but it's the left face button, X Y or Square depending on your controller, and select Focus Target from the menu to set a focus target.

there are controller options so you can bind left-stick or right-stick click to "assist target" which will select your target-of-target.
there isn't one for focus target, so you'd need to make a macro at #99 or #100 shared and have it /target <ft>, and set that macro to a stick click or otherwise put it on your XHB somewhere to press

for just left/right dpad targeting in healer quests specifically you have to make sure you have a filter to allow you to target NPCs/Objects:

by default with your weapon drawn you can't do this and it makes the pre-EW healer quests really loving annoying because the NPCs also don't count as part of your party

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah, I quickly learned to zoom out as far as possible in all actual combat content and then zoom back into the middle distance when I was just running around (since being inside a city makes the camera bounce off walls and poo poo).

Also last night I saw a sprout who had the same last name as my character, which makes sense, since I used the random name generation tool to pick a name and then tinkered with the first name to get something I liked. So I guess I've got kin on the Xbox! I should probably say hi or something.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

parasyte posted:

by default with your weapon drawn you can't do this and it makes the pre-EW healer quests really loving annoying because the NPCs also don't count as part of your party

yeah I figured that out the first time I tried the quest, what a very stupid default setting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fully zoomed out in every fight yep

And lately in some fights that have really complex yuck zones, i run those from a directly overhead birds eye view. It makes things like the angelos much easier

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Imagining trying to do P5N from ground-level and crying

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The first time I encountered a (nearly) full arena AOE in a solo boss in Operation Archon I was getting pretty frustrated because I was like "How the gently caress is someone supposed to avoid this???" Until I started the fight zoomed out by chance and happened to see the gap waaaay at the edge. Now I always do boss fights zoomed out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zoomed out is key for some fights yes, there was even some World First drama where it turns out the winning team had at least one player using mods to increase their draw distance and zoom level so they could see further on the battlefield to pick up tells that would otherwise be invisible from their position. Needless to say Yoship invalidated their World First because mods are not cool (you can use mods, just not in serious content like World First clear races).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yep I have to zoom all the way out for trial and raid fights. But I also play a largeish character (a not-quite-max-height Roe) so I don't have to worry about losing myself in the chaos. I don't have an ultrawide screen but apparently that achieves a similar effect to the fov mods people were using.

I tilt the camera up so my character is at the bottom of the screen, so I can see the top of the boss (usually- even zoomed out some of them are too huge). This is because sometimes later mechanics will be telegraphed only visually by the boss raising an arm or its eyes light up or something like that. On a keyboard you tilt the camera by holding the ctrl key and an up or down arrow. I usually don't tilt it up all the way though because I want to keep my character's feet on the screen so I can see what I'm standing on.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Zoomed out is key for some fights yes, there was even some World First drama where it turns out the winning team had at least one player using mods to increase their draw distance and zoom level so they could see further on the battlefield to pick up tells that would otherwise be invisible from their position. Needless to say Yoship invalidated their World First because mods are not cool (you can use mods, just not in serious content like World First clear races).

It's more "don't get caught". Mods are against the ToS, but they have no way to detect it unless you stream yourself like an idiot or do something the server can see.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Alright, I think I've got my targeting poo poo figured out for the controller - up/down to soft target allies to heal, left right to cycle through enemies to attack.

I'm kind of fascinated with this game's popularity - it feels really old school, like a much older Final Fantasy game got remastered or something. The quests (so far) are extremely basic and simple to complete, the animations are rudimentary, voice acting is rare. But, like, the lighting is really nice and you can play it in 4K.

That said I'm enjoying my time with it. The quests don't wear out their welcome and the numbers go up at a satisfying pace. It's a generally relaxing game and the vibes are good. But yeah, sorta feeling like a spruced up JRPG circa ~2009 in the early game.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lot of cowards here who don't use first-person view

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Qwertycoatl posted:

Lot of cowards here who don't use first-person view

sounds like someone who is ashamed of their glamour :colbert:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

AndrewP posted:

Alright, I think I've got my targeting poo poo figured out for the controller - up/down to soft target allies to heal, left right to cycle through enemies to attack.

I'm kind of fascinated with this game's popularity - it feels really old school, like a much older Final Fantasy game got remastered or something. The quests (so far) are extremely basic and simple to complete, the animations are rudimentary, voice acting is rare. But, like, the lighting is really nice and you can play it in 4K.

That said I'm enjoying my time with it. The quests don't wear out their welcome and the numbers go up at a satisfying pace. It's a generally relaxing game and the vibes are good. But yeah, sorta feeling like a spruced up JRPG circa ~2009 in the early game.

Spruced up JRPG circa 2009 isn't far off when you consider the stuff you're doing in the early game you're playing a game which came out in 2013 as a hastily made redevelopment of a game that came out in 2010.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

AndrewP posted:

FF14 is carried by word of mouth from a devoted player base with ARR being a sort of toll paid to see the devs knock it out of the park later, especially if you consider they were in full panic mode for all of ARR and HW dev to save a sinking ship.

It's also a bit slow on the gameplay side if you have virtually any other MMO experience but the fights start to pick up for from 40-50 on and steadily improve.

It also helps that there was some divine timing. Shadowbringers is considered some of the best FF14 and maybe even MMOs have ever been and it had the good grace to come out around the time WoW would tee up Shadowlands and deliver their worst. ShB came out a year before so they'd be well into their legendary post-patch storyline...

Anyway, I held off FF14 awhile because I was a WoW guy and playing two MMOs at once is undesirable to me. Having come over I'm a little sad I waited so long but really glad I got to experience FF14 at all.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FFXIV is absolutely a spruced up circa 2009 JRPG and that's why it kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Doomykins posted:

FF14 is carried by word of mouth from a devoted player base with ARR being a sort of toll paid to see the devs knock it out of the park later, especially if you consider they were in full panic mode for all of ARR and HW dev to save a sinking ship.

I mean word of mouth is why I'm trying it so that makes sense.

One thing I like is that the locations are BIG - buildings, areas, the scale is big in a way you don't see from single player games. I think that's just an MMO thing to fit lots of players but it also lends the cities a surprising sense of scale