Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Seems bad for control decks but good for Maverick which needs a shot in the arm anyway; Bant decks will have to gently caress with their mana a bit but will be fine, probably ditto Esper.

I think the upshot of an ice age termination event would be:
* no one plays Necropotence anymore in EDH/Timeless
* UWx control generally gets worse and midrange bant gets better
* Midrange selesnya decks that can benefit from more savannah get better
* Elves considers becoming a GWB deck again

I don't know what any of that means, like what do elves have to do with George Bush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

post a pic of sinkhole

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Scarabrae posted:

post a pic of sinkhole

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Microplastics posted:

*inhales deeply*

nnnnnnNNNNNEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRDDD

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Last night we lost power because of strong wind in almost all of southern Québec. It was 14°c lol. Today its -14°c.

And we have one of the best electrical grid in the world. Lmao

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

500excf type r posted:

Burning all these fossil fuels really got us into some hot water

Let them burn freely and luxuriantly! Otherwise it might be cold one day

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Seems bad for control decks but good for Maverick which needs a shot in the arm anyway; Bant decks will have to gently caress with their mana a bit but will be fine, probably ditto Esper.

I think the upshot of an ice age termination event would be:
* no one plays Necropotence anymore in EDH/Timeless
* UWx control generally gets worse and midrange bant gets better
* Midrange selesnya decks that can benefit from more savannah get better
* Elves considers becoming a GWB deck again

Dual lands eh... I personally haven't mustered the will to buy more than my favorite (Tropical Island). Why are these cards so goddamned expensive?? :mad:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
wrap it up doomailures...o hey wai

quote:

The study suggests this strategy could plausibly work after overcoming several technical barriers. Schwarz says that right now, "we don't have a plan or the technology to do this."
Will it counteract the effects of carbon dioxide (CO2)?

"No," said Schwarz, adding that it would only cool the atmosphere one-seventieth as much as CO2 is warming it. It would only be "a very small shift in the other direction."

He said that CO2 remains a huge problem in Earth's atmosphere and that this method would only have a small impact compared with that of CO2.
"I have to be very skeptical," said Kevin Trenberth, a scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. "Focusing on dehumidifying the stratosphere by itself makes no sense to me."

Michael Mann, a meteorologist at the University of Pennsylvania, said that "in this case, the authors concede a large number of caveats, one of the most critical being the potentially limited lifetime of the effect. Like many of the proposed inventions, it would have to be done regularly to keep up the offsetting cooling effect, and meanwhile the CO2 that is accumulating in the atmosphere is there for the long term."

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

they want to put a giant shopvac in orbit like spaceballs? thats the best we can think of?

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
worried about microplastics in your water? concerned that your child might have been replaced with a changeling?
the answer to both these problems is simple: boil your water in eggshells

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
it's gonna be whiplash for everyone going immediately from 'climate change is a long term concern' to 'unhinged geoengineering boondoggle is set to start next week'

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's everyone's favourite unhinged geoengineering boondoggle?

I like space mirrors for the :science: factor but covering the oceans in white balls is definitely a top pick

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Microplastics posted:

I like space mirrors for the :science: factor but covering the oceans in white balls is definitely a top pick

in high school I had an idea for a fleet of drones that would assemble in the path of a hurricane and block evaporation to starve it of moisture before it got too close to land. then i did the math on how much one drone might cost and how many i'd need

also it would be neat to put a constellation of inflatable fresnel lenses in orbit. distributed directed energy weapons!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Post username combo

Ocean balls would own though. Decades of "oh ocean plastic, great pacific garbage patch, this is awful" to "yeah we're using B*A*L*L*S" overnight

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

The industrial revolution.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Microplastics posted:

Personally, I like "mine all of the olivine in the world and scatter it across all the beaches in the world".

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
filling the ocean with my balls

Microplastics posted:

nice username post combo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
AI will fix this somehow.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

unfortunately I have been born too late to live in the Gurren Lagann underground city

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SixteenShells posted:

in high school I had an idea for a fleet of drones that would assemble in the path of a hurricane and block evaporation to starve it of moisture before it got too close to land. then i did the math on how much one drone might cost and how many i'd need

also it would be neat to put a constellation of inflatable fresnel lenses in orbit. distributed directed energy weapons!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's that from? I could do with some cheesy sci fi to watch

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Microplastics posted:

quantum of solace or die another day possibly

wandering earth 2 was pretty nifty

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Dual lands eh... I personally haven't mustered the will to buy more than my favorite (Tropical Island). Why are these cards so goddamned expensive?? :mad:

People were already crazy and then went crazier during the early pandemic

I sold basically every card I owned during the early pandemic and got twenty five thousand dollars

I don't have any more real duals but I have a perfectly acceptable, nice proxy vintage cube printed at a reasonable cost by our friends Chinese industry

E: added "early" to make it clear I do not think the pandemic is over, loooool

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Scarabrae posted:

post a pic of sinkhole

MOD EDIT: JESUS CHRIST WHY WOULD YOU THINK THIS IS ACCEPTABLE

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

It this.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wouldn't that just put the microplastics in the air for you to breath or is it sealing them to your pan?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Twigand Berries posted:

The world’s largest ocean carbon dioxide removal facility is being built in Singapore! We’re going to be ok.

https://time.com/6836259/singapore-equatic-ocean-carbon-dioxide-removal-facility-largest/

when the ice melts there will be more ocean to hold more carbon anyway so who needs this?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

silicone thrills posted:

Wouldn't that just put the microplastics in the air for you to breath or is it sealing them to your pan?

the article says the researching believe minerals in water could "encase" the plastics

no word on what happens to minerals as they go through your digestive tract

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the article says the researching believe minerals in water could "encase" the plastics

no word on what happens to minerals as they go through your digestive tract

They make a nice little home in your digestive tract.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
the second part is filtering the boiled and cooled water to theoretically remove the encased microplastics but it seems to need water with some minimum hardness so there are enough minerals to have an effect

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

No it makes them disappear

the article says that it's boiling + filtering, so I assume that some goes into the air, and most is caught by the filter

E: ngl I didn't read the article that I posted, but the people who did explained it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lousy hat posted:

the second part is filtering the boiled and cooled water to theoretically remove the encased microplastics but it seems to need water with some minimum hardness so there are enough minerals to have an effect

the article also states that the minerals could be filtered out by a "coffee filter" (after reading it again, thank you posters above)

but how does my coffee get through if a coffee filter would filter out minerals...?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the article also states that the minerals could be filtered out by a "coffee filter" (after reading it again, thank you posters above)

but how does my coffee get through if a coffee filter would filter out minerals...?

beans are vegetables, not minerals. classic mistake

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
So all we gotta do is boil the oceans got it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

opens a new spreadsheet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Some Raz Al Guhl thinking happening here.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish posted:

Well, did you see the ocean temperature graph lately?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

do we still have to cleanse our insides by swallowing chewing gum and making GBS threads out all the microplastics it collects in the gi tract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Venomous posted:

do we still have to cleanse our insides by swallowing chewing gum and making GBS threads out all the microplastics it collects in the gi tract

I regret to inform you that gum might be the only treat that intentionally includes plastic.