Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

VoicesCanBe posted:

Sullivan, Kirby, Blinken, Nuland, Austin, and of course Biden himself... we already know how badly history will look upon all of them

State funerals with heartfelt eulogies lionizing their years of service?

I still remember when I got yelled at by a die hard Dem when I said some poo poo while she was watching HW Bush's funeral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Long read but absolutely wild how this story ended up getting printed.....

https://theintercept.com/2024/02/28/new-york-times-anat-schwartz-october-7/

Yeah if the subject matter wasn't so dark you could score this to Benny Hill

quote:

SCHWARTZ BEGAN HER work on the violence of October 7 where one would expect, by calling around to the designated “Room 4” facilities in 11 Israeli hospitals that examine and treat potential victims of sexual violence, including rape. “First thing I called them all, and they told me, ‘No, no complaint of sexual assault was received,’” she recalled in the podcast interview. “I had a lot of interviews which didn’t lead anywhere. Like, I would go to all kinds of psychiatric hospitals, sit in front of the staff, all of them are fully committed to the mission and no one had met a victim of sexual assault.”

The next step was to call the manager of the sexual assault hotline in Israel’s south, which proved equally fruitless. The manager told her they had no reports of sexual violence. She described the call as a “crazy in-depth conversation” where she pressed for specific cases. “Did anyone call you? Did you hear anything?” she recalled asking. “How could it be that you didn’t?”

As Schwartz began her own efforts to find evidence of sexual assault, the first specific allegations of rape began to emerge. A person identified in anonymous media interviews as a paramedic from the Israeli Air Force medical unit 669 claimed he saw evidence that two teenage girls at Kibbutz Nahal Oz had been raped and murdered in their bedroom. The man made other outrageous claims, however, that called his report into question. He claimed another rescuer “pulled out of the garbage” a baby who’d been stabbed multiple times. He also said he had seen “Arabic sentences that were written on entrances to houses … with the blood of the people that were living in the houses.” No such messages exist, and the story of the baby in the trashcan has been debunked. The bigger problem was that no two girls at the kibbutz fit the source’s description. In future interviews, he changed the location to Kibbutz Be’eri. But no victims killed there matched the description either, as Mondoweiss reported.

After seeing these interviews, Schwartz started calling people at Kibbutz Be’eri and other kibbutzim that were targeted on October 7 in an effort to track down the story. “Nothing. There was nothing,” she said. “No one saw or heard anything.” She then reached the unit 669 paramedic who relayed to Schwartz the same story he had told other media outlets, which she says convinced her there was a systematic nature to the sexual violence. “I say, ‘OK, so it happened, one person saw it happen in Be’eri, so it can’t be just one person, because it’s two girls. It’s sisters. It’s in the room. Something about it is systematic, something about it feels to me that it’s not random,” Schwartz concluded on the podcast.

quote:

Schwartz said she then began a series of extensive conversations with Israeli officials from Zaka, a private ultra-Orthodox rescue organization that has been documented to have mishandled evidence and spread multiple false stories about the events of October 7, including debunked allegations of Hamas operatives beheading babies and cutting the fetus from a pregnant woman’s body. Its workers are not trained forensic scientists or crime scene experts. “When we go into a house, we use our imagination,” said Yossi Landau, a senior Zaka official, describing the group’s work at the October 7 attack sites. “The bodies were telling us what happened, that’s what happened.” Landau is featured in the Times report, though no mention is made of his well-documented track record of disseminating sensational stories of atrocities that were later proven false.

These dude going into houses and using their mind palaces to justify a genocide.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sancho Banana posted:

"The state to refugees from the Gaza Envelope: whoever doesn't return to their home in the coming week, [will have] their grant slashed by half"

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1763213601819468007?t=hyvlAdDJqhOKqE3GgzKZkQ&s=19

loooool

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey israel, guess what.

ROCKETS FROM NORTHERN GAZA, BITCH

=============

Urgent | Israeli media: Sirens sound in Sderot and Niram in the Gaza Strip

https://x.com/AJABreaking/status/1763238832877478005?s=20

double loooool

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
The protestors who like starving children managed to break into the Gaza Strip itself, and got about 500 meters in.

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1763251550305018256?t=jBIhGegja55MkKYZuBtJCg&s=19

"Protestors crossed 500 meters into Gaza, one hurled at a soldier: 'Nazi, [someone should] slaughter you'"

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1763251872603721812?t=7FNA7AoU9KFo24NpvUzrNg&s=19

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sancho Banana posted:

The protestors who like starving children managed to break into the Gaza Strip itself, and got about 500 meters in.

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1763251550305018256?t=jBIhGegja55MkKYZuBtJCg&s=19

"Protestors crossed 500 meters into Gaza, one hurled at a soldier: 'Nazi, [someone should] slaughter you'"

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1763251872603721812?t=7FNA7AoU9KFo24NpvUzrNg&s=19

What a normal country

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

TrekBek posted:

they really only put the uggos on the front lines, huh.

do you think any of them ever look around the tank and go "hey why is my hot friend cassie back at base making thirst traps while i'm stuck with the cast of the oblongs?"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m sure they understand that this means that people go to other websites to read what actually happened

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Habibi posted:

Update on that from this morning:

Not people, or Hamasniks, or even men of military age.

25k women and children.

when never again becomes "never! *shiftly whispers to general* ...again.".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lmao oh ok

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

not as many civilians died from our bullets when we opened fire on them than previously claimed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao

quote:

Schwartz said in the podcast interview that, since the Times insisted on at least two sources, she asked Cohen to give her the contact information of the other people he was hiding with in the bush, so she could corroborate his story of the rape. She recalled, “Raz hides. In the bush next to him lies his friend Shoam. They get to this bush. There are two other people on the other side looking to the other direction, and another, fifth, person. Five people in the same bush. Only Raz sees all the things he sees, everyone else is looking in a different direction.”

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

lol lmao dti dta

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

still lmao that someone chose to name their daughter Anal Wartz

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

NYT: its not my job to educate you

Them saying that Israelis opened fire is actually a big improvement to their typical coverage.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Demon Of The Fall posted:

every minute my hatred and disgust for Israel and Joseph Biden grows exponentially

yeah this poo poo gets worse every day

Shageletic posted:

Yeah if the subject matter wasn't so dark you could score this to Benny Hill

These dude going into houses and using their mind palaces to justify a genocide.

when I was looking for primary coverage on YouTube, some MI FOX affiliate was fantasizing about houthis attacking the internet tubes in the red sea in such a convinced way that I thought it actually happened. many such cases of insane fantasies driving genocide

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Zodar posted:

god willing i will live to see israel go the way of rhodesia before it, and the US too feeble and preoccupied with its own crises to wound the people of palestine ever again. god willing

Know that if Israel falls, inshallah, then the resulting Palestinian state will basically be Iran 2.0 in terms of US foreign policy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is two Times journalists pressuring ppl in the name of hasbara

The woman who filmed Abdush on October 7 told the Israeli site YNet that Schwartz and Sella had pressured her into giving the paper access to her photos and videos for the purposes of serving Israeli propaganda. “They called me again and again and explained how important it is to Israeli hasbara,” she recalled, using the term for public diplomacy, which in practice refers to Israeli propaganda efforts directed at international audiences.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shageletic posted:

This is two Times journalists pressuring ppl in the name of hasbara

The woman who filmed Abdush on October 7 told the Israeli site YNet that Schwartz and Sella had pressured her into giving the paper access to her photos and videos for the purposes of serving Israeli propaganda. “They called me again and again and explained how important it is to Israeli hasbara,” she recalled, using the term for public diplomacy, which in practice refers to Israeli propaganda efforts directed at international audiences.

drat, the grey lady is a bitch!

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

https://x.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1763236861411991644?s=20

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sancho Banana posted:

:ironicat:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...ping-the-enemy/

quote:

Continuing his prepared remarks at a press conference, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will seek a consensual arrangement under which more Haredim will carry out military service.

He says, first, that he is preparing legislation to provide more benefits for soldiers on completion of their IDF service, including allocating land for them to build homes.

He says he respects the Haredim who study Torah and those who volunteer for emergency rescue services, but that one “cannot ignore the discrepancy in the division of the burden” by which almost all ultra-Orthodox youngsters do not serve.

“The Haredi public recognizes this,” he says.

Taking aim at Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, without naming him, Netanyahu says: “We will set out goals for an agreement by consensus” to raise the number of Haredi recruits.

“Anyone who wants complete agreement won’t get any agreement,” he says, a day after Gallant said he would only support an IDF draft law that is backed by all coalition parties.

He hints that Gallant and the leaders of the National Unity Party, Benny Gantz and Gadi Eisenkot, who are also pushing a proposal for the Haredim to be drafted and who he also does not name, are seeking to bring down the government. “There are those in the coalition who want elections,” he says.

Were this to happen, “that would mean the end of the war, [and] the defeat of Israel,” he says.

Israel would be paralyzed for 6-8 months, the government’s hands would be tied in the battles against Hamas and Hezbollah and for the hostages, and there would be divisions within the ranks of IDF fighters, he claims.

Holding general elections mid-war would constitute “devastating gunfire within the national armored personnel carrier,” he says. “General elections during war [would spell] defeat for Israel,” he repeats.

This, he claims, “is precisely the dream of [Hamas leader] Yahya Sinwar, the dream of Hezbollah and the dream of Iran… They’re waiting for it.”

“All the cabinet members know this,” he adds, implying that ministers seeking elections would be acting in the interests of the enemy.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

State funerals with heartfelt eulogies lionizing their years of service?

I still remember when I got yelled at by a die hard Dem when I said some poo poo while she was watching HW Bush's funeral

American history is no longer world history.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

He says, first, that he is preparing legislation to provide more benefits for soldiers on completion of their IDF service, including allocating land for them to build homes.

dti, dta

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just saw this linked video - local Jewish man in New Jersey bringing attention to an upcoming auction of homes built on stolen West Bank land, the auction to be held in a local synagogue

https://twitter.com/faisalkutty/status/1763212627038355562

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sancho Banana posted:

DTI DTA immediately

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/houthis-promise-military-surprises-in-red-sea/
Yemen’s Houthis will introduce “military surprises” in their Red Sea operations, the Iran-aligned group’s leader Abdul Malik al-Houthi says in a televised speech.

Ooh I love surprises.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Sancho Banana posted:

so these guys are mad the soldiers arent massacring palestinians fast enough?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Malloc Voidstar posted:

more benefits for soldiers on completion of their IDF service, including allocating land for them to build homes.

Oh come on!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the america-aligned isreali regime

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pookah posted:

Just saw this linked video - local Jewish man in New Jersey bringing attention to an upcoming auction of homes built on stolen West Bank land, the auction to be held in a local synagogue

https://twitter.com/faisalkutty/status/1763212627038355562

"I had a book of Bible stories when I was a kid. There was a picture I'd look at twenty times every day: Jacob wrestles with the angel. I don't really remember the story, or why the wrestling—just the picture. Jacob is young and very strong. The angel is... a beautiful man, with golden hair and wings, of course. I still dream about it. Many nights. I'm. . . . It's me. In that struggle. Fierce, and unfair. The angel is not human, and it holds nothing back, so how could anyone human win, what kind of a fight is that? It's not just. Losing means your soul thrown down in the dust, your heart torn out from God's. But you can't not lose."

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

so these guys are mad the soldiers arent massacring palestinians fast enough?

It seems like they are just hysterically lashing out at everyone and everything because the problem isn’t getting fixed.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/hayxtt/status/1763270414698999960

https://twitter.com/Mayla_blj/status/1763198711721497035

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JESUS CHRIST what a sick piece of poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just over a thousand people run over by truck, no tanks firing here

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It seems like they are just hysterically lashing out at everyone and everything because the problem isn’t getting fixed.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any precedence for this sort of rally just to express general bloodlust and demand more killing by the government? Did this sort of thing happen even in Nazi Germany or Apartheid South Africa? A riot targeting those you hope to kill has a logic to it that I can wrap my head around, but it is unfathomable to me to have this sort of mass outrage at the state for insufficient brutality.

Normally those harboring kinds of sentiments, as far as I can see, recognize their own obscenity and operate from the shadows: there is a reason why the French Secret Army Organization has secret right there in its name. The Klan wore hoods and used aliases and titles to at least nominally conceal their identity. Both carried out militant attacks on the targets of their ire, or served as an illegal supplement to a violent state apparatus they supported as long as it was operating in their direction.

These guys, on the other hand, seem outraged that their violent fantasies aren't being enacted efficiently enough as they sit on the sidelines revelling. The state supports their violent thuggery in the West Bank, letting them murder and steal with impunity and even paying them for the pleasure, but they still feel themselves to be victimized by merit of the state not being enthusiastic and quick enough in killing.

Is this a phenomenon anyone has seen elsewhere? Any book recommendations on this sort of madness, Frosted Flake?

The Easy Rider has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Feb 29, 2024

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/sahouraxo/status/1763280951428485202

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Easy Rider posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any precedence for this sort of rally just to express general bloodlust and demand more killing by the government? Did this sort of thing happen even in Nazi Germany or Apartheid South Africa? A riot targeting those you hope to kill has a logic to it that I can wrap my head around, but it is unfathomable to me to have this sort of mass outrage at the state for insufficient brutality.

Normally these kinds of sentiments, as far as I can see, recognize their own obscenity and operate from the shadows: there is a reason why the French Secret Army Organization has secret right there in its name. The Klan wore hoods and used aliases and titles to at least nominally conceal their identity. Both carried out militant attacks on the targets of their ire, or served as an illegal supplement to a violent state apparatus they supported as long as it was operating in their direction.

These guys, on the other hand, seem outraged that their violent fantasies aren't being enacted efficiently enough as they sit on the sidelines revelling. The state supports their violent thuggery in the West Bank, letting them murder and steal with impunity and even paying them for the pleasure, but they still feel themselves to be victimized by merit of the state not being enthusiastic and quick enough in killing.

Is this a phenomenon anyone has seen elsewhere? Any book recommendations on this sort of madness, Frosted Flake?

The Israeli response to Jewish extremism and violence

"Ami Pedahzur looks at the theoretical issue of how a democracy can defend itself from those wishing to subvert or destroy it without being required to take measures that would impinge upon the basic principles of the democratic idea, with a case study of the Israeli response to Jewish extremism."

e: Naomi Klein identified the dynamic here, but the Israeli state relies on "out of control" settlers/extremists to present fait accompli of things they want to do but can't be seen doing. They do the state's dirty work, the state acts like it's helpless and throws up its hands, but then they protect those settlers and extremists.

Unlike other Apartheid states, Israel needs to launder its image for international audiences, hasbara, and so having this degree of plausible deniability allows Israel's image to remain intact. So they always have a degree of plausible deniability, are one step removed from the worst of the actions, can act shocked and horrified when someone shoots up the Cave of the Patriarchs massacre, while still later pointing Ben Gavir to cabinet.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Feb 29, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What took so long?