Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was a lot of progress happening it’s just that it was outside of the guild emperor choam world so it “wasn’t seen”. At least in the books idk about the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What are you referring to?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well for example the whole progress of the fremen is a complete mystery to the protagonists of the first book until Paul finds out while in exile

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ok sure, but the effort to terraform the planet is anticipated to take centuries. Paul catalyzes a much quicker transformation. And that project still doesn't really hold a candle to how rigid and unchanging the general structure of the Imperium has been. But it's still in service to my point that the events of Dune represent a gigantic rift from the past.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

rigid and unchanging the general structure of the Imperium has been.

That’s true. I think that was part of Herbert’s liberal critique of opec

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or how the key to breaking the "unbreakable" Suk school conditioning turns out to be "use the guy's wife as leverage against him", a tactic never before dreamed of.
Considering that artillery was considered novel by both Baron Harkonnen and Thufir Hawat, it's quite possible that was also a lost art.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Still seems like something that the conditioning, or even like a basic background check, should have taken into consideration.
We don't know what the conditioning is; maybe it's really effective at direct external pressure, but breakable if the conditioned can convince themselves that they're doing good.
On top of that, as ImpAtom mentions, Bene Gesserit women don't tend to have husbands - all others but one (Margo Fenring) that we're introduced to function as concubines or are, apparently, single.

drunkill posted:

Let Paul say jihad
I get your point, but on the other hand - what would it benefit?
It seems to me that the people who stand to gain most from its use are religious extremists - and the movie shows how recalcitrant Paul is about dealing with people who he suspects are religious extremists.

Which, now that I think about it, makes me wonder in Dune Messiah if they're nixing Corba and replacing him with Stilgar, who the movie goes to some lengths to show might be a fundamentalist.

Jewmanji posted:

Ok sure, but the effort to terraform the planet is anticipated to take centuries. Paul catalyzes a much quicker transformation. And that project still doesn't really hold a candle to how rigid and unchanging the general structure of the Imperium has been. But it's still in service to my point that the events of Dune represent a gigantic rift from the past.
Paul doesn't make the transformation any quicker - by the time of Leto IIs reign coming to an end (~3500 years, it's close to done but even in Heretics/Chapterhouse (only 1500 years), Dune is mostly sand again.
Are you thinking of the ending to the 1984 version where even the audience walks away thinking Paul is a messiah? Because that misses the original book ending by way too many barn-lengths.

Also worth noting the first draft of the script is considerably different - which lines up with David Lynch not really being involved with it, whereas subsequent revisions doesn't even have anyone else attached, despite David Lynch never having read the book.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 29, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Paul doesn't make the transformation any quicker - by the time of Leto IIs reign coming to an end (~3500 years, it's close to done but even in Heretics/Chapterhouse (only 1500 years), Dune is mostly sand again.
Are you thinking of the ending to the 1984 version where even the audience walks away thinking Paul is a messiah? Because that misses the original book ending by way too many barn-lengths.

Also worth noting the first draft of the script is considerably different - which lines up with David Lynch not really being involved with it, whereas subsequent revisions doesn't even have anyone else attached, despite David Lynch never having read the book.

No, you have it backwards. In GEoD the planet is fully terraformed except for Leto's Sareer. The planet is completely uninhabitable for sandworms, and Leto is sitting on the world's stash of spice, that's the point.

I get your point, but on the other hand - what would it benefit?
It seems to me that the people who stand to gain most from its use are religious extremists - and the movie shows how recalcitrant Paul is about dealing with people who he suspects are religious extremists.

But right wing reactionaries will find any reason to be upset. Jordan Peterson was telling Elmo to gently caress off recently. People shouldn't censor their art to please these insane people. "Jihad" isn't just flavor, it's a word with specific religious/thematic/historical resonance that predates white America's understanding of it in a post 9/11 context. By not including it you're reifying people's ongoing misconceptions about it. I do understand your position on it, and I appreciate not wanting it to have any negative consequences, I just don't agree.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 29, 2024

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Guys, Dont stick your AMC DUNC 2 Water bottle end into your AMC DUNC 2 Popcorn Bucket. Those worm tendrils grip like mad and it will take careful pulling and rotating to remove the bottle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wizchine posted:

Dune Messiah owns bones. Children of Dune is the boring one...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fuckingtest posted:

Guys, Dont stick your AMC DUNC 2 Water bottle end into your AMC DUNC 2 Popcorn Bucket. Those worm tendrils grip like mad and it will take careful pulling and rotating to remove the bottle.

lips that grip

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

fuckingtest posted:

Spice lube, dude.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

unfortunately at non-imax showings, the opening of the dune 2 popcorn bucket is more pill-shaped than circular

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm seeing it tomorrow on a converted omnimax screen. the last time i saw something there was BR2049, and it was so big i had to tilt my head up or down to look from corner to corner, and the sound was so loud it shook the rafters. i'm gonna have no loving clue what's going on lmao

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i'm seeing it tomorrow on a converted omnimax screen. the last time i saw something there was BR2049, and it was so big i had to tilt my head up or down to look from corner to corner, and the sound was so loud it shook the rafters. i'm gonna have no loving clue what's going on lmao

This sounds pretty ideal tbh

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I wish I saw it on a nice screen like that, the bullshit fake imax screen I saw it on had dirty projection glass so there were really distracting visual artifacts that were the worst during scenes with lots of movement, and some speakers weren't grounded properly or something so there was a distinct humming noise during moments of silence. Got free tickets afterwards by complaining, so at least I got to see Dunc 2 for free, albeit under lovely circumstances. And I'm definitely gonna go to the real imax theater at Lincoln Center to watch it again properly once things die down.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

No, you have it backwards. In GEoD the planet is fully terraformed except for Leto's Sareer. The planet is completely uninhabitable for sandworms, and Leto is sitting on the world's stash of spice, that's the point.

But right wing reactionaries will find any reason to be upset. Jordan Peterson was telling Elmo to gently caress off recently. People shouldn't censor their art to please these insane people. "Jihad" isn't just flavor, it's a word with specific religious/thematic/historical resonance that predates white America's understanding of it in a post 9/11 context. By not including it you're reifying people's ongoing misconceptions about it. I do understand your position on it, and I appreciate not wanting it to have any negative consequences, I just don't agree.
Sure, but that's also 3500 years into the future.
The books also go to some length to depict that the Fremen have been on Dune for at least 5000 years, and have apparently been collecting water for the transformation for most of it.

Also, as for the meaning of Jihad - according to a good friend of mine who's both cunning linguist and a practicing Muslim, it translates directly as "striving" and used as a noun in the phrase "striving in the path of Islam", and using it to mean 'holy war' is incredibly misinformed.
Another friend elsewhere pointed out that not only is this right, but it's likely that the 'holy war' meaning is likely one arrived at, and exclusively used, by religious fundamentalists.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sure, but that's also 3500 years into the future.
The books also go to some length to depict that the Fremen have been on Dune for at least 5000 years, and have apparently been collecting water for the transformation for most of it.

This just serves my point that the Imperium has been very static up until the events of the book.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I thought the default for jihad was the struggle to be a better person.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In a fake IMAX theater waiting for house lights to go down right now. Please don't jinx it

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Soul Dentist posted:

In a fake IMAX theater waiting for house lights to go down right now. Please don't jinx it

Bi lal kaifa

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

no they haven't, the whole arrakis terraforming project only starts a few decades before dune, with pardot kynes whitesplaining desert ecology so hard to the native fremen that one of them decides to fall on his own knife instead of listening to another second of his horseshit

uliet remains the only objectively correct character in all six books

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

This just serves my point that the Imperium has been very static up until the events of the book.
Oh, there's no doubting that - but I thought we were talking about the transformation of Dune.

Bubblyblubber posted:

no they haven't, the whole arrakis terraforming project only starts a few decades before dune, with pardot kynes whitesplaining desert ecology so hard to the native fremen that one of them decides to fall on his own knife instead of listening to another second of his horseshit

uliet remains the only objectively correct character in all six books
If this is from the prequels, it didn't happen - because they don't exist.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh, there's no doubting that - but I thought we were talking about the transformation of Dune.

I don't recall about the Fremen falling on their own knife, but most of the actual terraforming plan does come from Liet's father and is explained as much in Dune. Pardot Kynes was simultaneously knowledgeable about ecology and in a position to do something about it to create and start a concrete scheme for it, basically.

For all that there's supposed to be something pure and powerful about the Fremen, they do get pushed to actually doing anything to achieve their goals almost entirely by dudes from the outside though, yeah.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It's not from the prequels or the sequels.

(it's from Dune)

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

In the line at the IMAX. Some guy passed by and asked what we’re seeing and goes, “Oh, I was wondering why there were so many dudes.”

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Boy desert winter.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No Kwisatz Haderach he.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Ya hya chouhada

It was good

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Spoiler for Dune 2: Paul Atreides raw dogs a sandworm for 2 1/2 hours. Put a tear in my eye, 4 out of 5 stars.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Wow, I can't believe some posters forgot about (or never read) the appendix in Dune. Fall upon your knife as Uliet did.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just saw it. Gave it a 7/10 (part 1 got a 9/10), but that's on the Denis scale.

I'll save my criticisms for once more have seen it.

Actually, probably higher than a 7/10 because Denis tries to question the book a bit, with some success.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
10/10 imo. i understand the questioning the book bit but i dont care

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I might have been unclear. I think the questioning Denis does is a good thing and definitely elevates the film in this specific regard over Lynch or Sci-Fi miniseries, which both take the themes and messages of the book as given.

It interrogates the source material, and that's a good thing for any adaptation to do (so long as it's done well, as it is here).

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Part 2 is way better than 1.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Groovelord Neato posted:

There was never ever ever going to be a part 2.

about to watch it on 15/700 IMAX for the second time. phew

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Saw it last night. Thought it was good, visually stunning. Sound system felt like being hit by a Lynch Dune weirding module.

Upside: best adaptation so far. Visuals. Revenge. Christopher Walken as the Shadam IV is good. Jessica is hard as gently caress.

Downside: didn't have the emperor say a particular line from the book when he's confronted with how thoroughly hosed he is against the Fremen. My drunk friend was ranting about this in the parking lot. Also, missing a couple characters, but oh well. Also, time is too compressed instead of spread out over about two or three years. All-in-all though, no significant downside.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hello thread, do we do book chat in here or is there one in the book barn (if so can you link it as I can't find it)?

I ask as I have a take about the fremen I want to discuss and don't know where I should dribble my brain.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

notaspy posted:

Hello thread, do we do book chat in here or is there one in the book barn (if so can you link it as I can't find it)?

I ask as I have a take about the fremen I want to discuss and don't know where I should dribble my brain.

It's general purpose Duning, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

notaspy posted:

There are only six books. As long as you keep that in mind, this thread is for both book and movie.