Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'll be another 20 levels or so before it really comes online (arcane is only at 19), but switching from heavy to blood on my GUTS sword for my str/arc build has been a fun preview of what is to come. It's a noticeable amount less damage per swing, but it's still a huge amount of damage, and with 118 bleed buildup per hit it makes for a very different sort of experience than other status builds. Just absolutely demolishing posture and chunking damage with the same slow, deliberate attacks but every third or forth hit is a bleed proc that does EVEN MORE damage.

If someone is bleed immune, oh well, I've still got colossal sword posture and damage going on if I want to be lazy, and if I want to be optimal I can just switch to heavy to get the exact same damage as if I was pure strength. Finding decent quick or multi-hit ashes for this weapon class should add a new layer of fun, first up on the list to try out is Stamp (Sweep) and seeing if there's any fun bleed buildup shenanigans to be had with Eruption.

The real prize of course is going to be Mohg's trident, which I will be getting this weekend by fighting mohg before Fire Giant, which will be the first time I've fought him this early and I'm looking forward to my favorite fight being even harder. I've also got a lot of re-adjusting to do after Sekiro and Lies of P, funny how I went from being suspicious of parry-heavy play to wishing Elden Ring had a lot more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Epic High Five posted:

str/arc build

Another STR weapon that scales surprisingly well when Blood infused is the Nightrider Glaive, and you can actually put multihit ashes of war on it (Sword Dance, Spinning Slash, Repeating Thrust) unlike colossals. Beastman's Cleaver should also do well, but I don't think you can get it until Farum Azula.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Im wondering if occult or heavy will be better for endgame.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Occult on a weapon with innate bleed is insanely good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Elden Ring was too big and the mountaintop didn't need to be an additional open world area and used that production time on a legacy dungeon or something. But even cutting that out the answer is probably no but I think if FromSoft and Bandai Namco knew what a smash hit ER would be maybe they would've taken an extra year or so to avoid so much copying and pasting. I'm excited about the non-legacy dungeons being intertwined with the "open world" in the DLC if that turns out to be the case because I think that would've been a much better way to make the game than having all the catacombs (I'm fine with the mines as is). I'm also not totally against some copying/pasting like the Erdtree Avatars in the open world or the different flavors of tree spirit.

i'm in the same boat and excited for the DLC for the same reason. i'm doing a fresh replay and it really is remarkable how much all the catacombs meld together into nothingness, especially when the rewards are so universally bland. i think this is a game that would've benefited enormously from them going hog wild with items to allow for interesting synergies or bizarre playstyles, but instead you get a thousand useless pokemon and the same rings they've been using for three games solid

i do admire the ambition with which they constructed the world, and the sheer breadth creates some great moments like the oft-mentioned entry into siofra, but once the initial "wow" factor wears off you're left with a game that's mostly composed of you riding for hours between thin content pieces for mediocre rewards, and the otherwise superb quality of the legacy dungeons makes me wish they'd been more surgical with their scope

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had fun with a dex/occult dual uchi run. I had to switch weapons to backups for a few bosses who had strong slash resists (most notably Placi) but it took me all the way to the end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I had fun with a dex/occult dual uchi run. I had to switch weapons to backups for a few bosses who had strong slash resists (most notably Placi) but it took me all the way to the end.

dragon communion talisman's a good backup option to have, since damage options like stone of gurranq and pest threads both have FTH requirements you can meet with a small base investment + the talisman, and the ARC scaling otherwise makes them do solid damage (especially pest threads, for obvious reasons)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do think the game would be better with less over-world horseback riding and being more on rails but this is the game we have

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

euphronius posted:

I do think the game would be better with less over-world horseback riding and being more on rails but this is the game we have

i don't think you even necessarily need it to be more on-rails, just cut down by, like, 30-40%. limgrave's got what i think is an ideal area-to-content ratio, but that's hard to sustain when you've got a map that big, and all the other areas never live up to that same promise

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vermain posted:

dragon communion talisman's a good backup option to have, since damage options like stone of gurranq and pest threads both have FTH requirements you can meet with a small base investment + the talisman, and the ARC scaling otherwise makes them do solid damage (especially pest threads, for obvious reasons)

I just loaded up the save to see what I upgraded -

It looks like my upgrades other than my two +25 uchis were bloodhound fang, lance, great stars, and some bows. The change for placi must have been a different run, because I remember upgrading the cleanrot knight's sword for that one.

Imo everyone should have an upgraded great bow. Too useful.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm running a pure dex build because I am bad at Souls games. What magical thing should I level to wreck house? I need to find a couple whetstones to give me access to all the infusions or whatever they're called in this game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm running a pure dex build because I am bad at Souls games. What magical thing should I level to wreck house? I need to find a couple whetstones to give me access to all the infusions or whatever they're called in this game.

hit points

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bad at souls games: hp
good at souls games: damage stats
really good at souls games: stay at level 1

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Str/Dex to weapon requirements -> Vigor to 40 -> Endurance to 25 -> Dex to 80 -> Vigor to 60

Keen or Lightning for infusions

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Str/Dex to weapon requirements -> Vigor to 40 -> Endurance to 25 -> Dex to 80 -> Vigor to 60

Keen or Lightning for infusions

for a new player who self-identifies as bad i would do dex to 50, then vigor to 60, then start pumping dex up to 80

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I would do vigor 25, other stats to what I needed to equip the weapon I wanted to use + armor at the roll level I want, vigor 40, then damage stat to 40.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mentat Radnor posted:

Another STR weapon that scales surprisingly well when Blood infused is the Nightrider Glaive, and you can actually put multihit ashes of war on it (Sword Dance, Spinning Slash, Repeating Thrust) unlike colossals. Beastman's Cleaver should also do well, but I don't think you can get it until Farum Azula.

Oh that's not a bad idea at all, it would lack the damage and posture I've grown used to but halberds are one of the few classes of weapons that really make up for it. Shame the damage type got changed from standard/thrust to slash/thrust since slash is less than ideal, but really damage types always come down to "is it strike or not", with thrust being nice but not offering much in the way of good movesets.

I know for powerstancing, status effects got nerfed, but if you're two-handing your status weapon does anybody know if there is any bonus, like there is to posture damage and hyper armor?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

You can get it early from the Crumbling Lands portal in The Four Belfries. It WILL be a brutal farm though since it's basically the boss fight from the Dragonborrow Cave, but harder.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've got what I know I want pretty planned out, plus that glaive now, but I'd also like to experiment with the small pool of arcane weapons since this may be my only high arcane character I make. Additionally, two straight swords I can powerstance is my next goal because it's basically the opposite playstyle to what I'm used to but without having to settle for opposite results. I know the practical answer is probably "two NSS with blood infusion" but I wanna have some fun so I think the Regalia of Eochaid will be one of them. Stuff like the serpent bow and venomous fang I anticipate being fun little novelties but I'll give them a go.

Nice thing is that I can transition smoothly from clawmark to dragon communism seals as I level, so I'm always able to use the fullest suite of incants that ~15 faith can get me

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Epic High Five posted:

Bleed Colossal

I tossed bleed on my Duelists Greataxe and yeah it rules

Also threw Raptor Mist to make up for bad swings/ instant jump attacks and it loving rules

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lmao I say bad at Souls but I seem to be doing OK with Elden, it's a lot more forgiving because I can just peace out and go elsewhere.

Thank you everyone for the other suggestions, I'll check what my character stats are but I do need to level vig and dex more for a start. I'm around level 70 if I'm remembering right, I noticed it worked out to roughly a level per hour and I'm 70 in at this point in time with a lot of farting around exploring.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my main dude is a level ~300 str/dex/arcane build (60 vit, 38 end, 29 mnd, 66 str, 80 dex, 22 int, 27 fth, 99 arc) and the highest dps somber weapons are the marais executioner’s sword or dual wielded reduvias, depending on whether the enemy can bleed and whether you have all of the best talismans for the build. also in my weapon stable is occult great stars, regalia of eochaid, bloody helice, moghwyn’s spear, morgott’s sword, and the serpent bow, plus the dragon communion talisman and all the beast incantations. i dont use rivers of blood or eleonora’s poleblade because theyre both worse than at least one of my other preferred weapons. i didnt anticipate this build out-dpsing every other build ive made on ng+7^, but it does, and easily

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'm in the middle of an Arcane run and am planning to pair Mohg's Spear with an Occult Greatlance with a seppuku Ash of War. I think the ash was nerfed at one point, but committing seppuku with such a massive weapon looks goofy enough to work for it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

I'm in the middle of an Arcane run and am planning to pair Mohg's Spear with an Occult Greatlance with a seppuku Ash of War. I think the ash was nerfed at one point, but committing seppuku with such a massive weapon looks goofy enough to work for it.

if you use lord of blood’s exultation then seppuku is a massive 20% damage buff on top of the bleed procs

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I will say, having only watched the dlc trailer on mobile and not really investing myself too deep into examining it nor wanting to feed the endless cycle of youtubers poring over every pixel, I only just decided to see what Zullie had to say on it while I was already watching other videos of hers.

With the key takeaway being that the shadow tree is actually two trees, one coiled around the other. Meanwhile, Miquella's Haligtree is similarly shaped and has a second trunk that...stagnated and died off? Was forcibly removed?

So while I feel like "Messmer is evil Miquella" is kinda lame, there's definitely some interesting symbology implying...something.

The theory that Messmer is the cast off evil (or "evil") side of Miquella lines up the best. Miquella alone compelling absolute affection, Messmer alone, decked out in heretical symbols, is pure hate. Messmer's influence was pruned from the Haligtree, but in the shadow realm now they're both hanging out. Maybe the coiled tree is even the one that represents Miquella this time, trying to foil Messmer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How long ago did marika break the elden ring compared to the present. It seems like it was a long rear end time ago

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

euphronius posted:

Hard disagree, riding around on the horse were some of my favourite moments of the game and never got tiring to me, especially with the dreamlike environments and the abundant amount of warp points in explored areas. It was a very welcome interruption in between the 'dying to really hard things' gameplay loop. The only place where horseback riding wasn't wowing me was the mountains.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

verbal enema posted:

I tossed bleed on my Duelists Greataxe and yeah it rules

Also threw Raptor Mist to make up for bad swings/ instant jump attacks and it loving rules

I feel Raptor mist is underappreciated. I made a jump attack build around it and lol it's so powerful.

"I don't feel like getting hit by this attack" *presses L2*

I'll say it again. It's the only way to deal with the mechanized chariots.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It's also a great dodge. Lunatic Double Sword Banished Knight swings too high to proc it so you just swoop underneath the swords

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

How long ago did marika break the elden ring compared to the present. It seems like it was a long rear end time ago

I'd say in the relatively recent past - relative in Dark Souls terms anyway - because the world isn't as dead as it is in Dark Souls.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
the lands between used to be much larger though. the shattering probably led to a lot of places falling away, maybe progressively over time. caelid has been expanding its rot in broad and insidious ways.

it's probably been centuries. the land being full of life doesn't mean it's not dying.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

euphronius posted:

Several decades to a couple hundred years before we show up. Long enough for there to have been wars fought and pieces claimed but recent enough for the big players to still have a tizzy about it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The amount of shear cliff faces and the way all the shores just drop off does imply poo poo got mad wrecked when the ring was shattered

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was this text from Boggart that got me thinking “wait how long has it been?” The way the line is delivered kind has an odd stesss

You’re Tarnished too, ain’tcha? Can you see it then? The guidance of grace, I mean. I can’t see it at all no more. Makes no bloody sense anyway, why some no-name shithead like me should get called to the Lands Between. Cruel bloody joke, you ask me. Maybe something went tits up with it. Maybe... it’s been broke for a good long time. The Erdtree, I’m sayin’.

But now reading it he’s referring to the Erdtree and not the elden ring. drat this game is confusing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

John Murdoch posted:

I will say, having only watched the dlc trailer on mobile and not really investing myself too deep into examining it nor wanting to feed the endless cycle of youtubers poring over every pixel, I only just decided to see what Zullie had to say on it while I was already watching other videos of hers.

With the key takeaway being that the shadow tree is actually two trees, one coiled around the other. Meanwhile, Miquella's Haligtree is similarly shaped and has a second trunk that...stagnated and died off? Was forcibly removed?

So while I feel like "Messmer is evil Miquella" is kinda lame, there's definitely some interesting symbology implying...something.

The theory that Messmer is the cast off evil (or "evil") side of Miquella lines up the best. Miquella alone compelling absolute affection, Messmer alone, decked out in heretical symbols, is pure hate. Messmer's influence was pruned from the Haligtree, but in the shadow realm now they're both hanging out. Maybe the coiled tree is even the one that represents Miquella this time, trying to foil Messmer.

It also lines up thematically with Miquella being a young innocent looking boy dressed in white silken robes while Messmer is an adult dressed in what appears to be Drakeblood styled armor with a hint of Banished Knight armor(both were said to be participants of Dragon Communion).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dark Souls, uncharacteristically, has a few clear references to exactly how long ago backstory poo poo was. Frampt implies the undead have been trying to get the Lordvessel for 1000 years (right before he starts going “hroooagh”). You might well mistrust Frampt but Quelana says that her mother turned into the Bed of Chaos 1000 years ago (which would more or less fit with what Frampt says), and that she taught Salaman pyromancy 200 years ago. I noticed it because I recently replayed and it seemed really weird coming from Elden Ring where “it happened an age ago” and the exact numbers are never mentioned.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

euphronius posted:

According to Martin the backstory took place over 5k years ago. Dunno if he means the stuff pre-shattering or post though or if it's an overall backstory. At minimum, definitely a few decades to a few centuries maybe even more though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I haven’t played in over a year and I forgot how much I progressed in NG+. Is there a way to check what major objectives Ive completed? Is the map of what grace points I’ve unlocked a good estimate?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just start over imho. The game is good enough where you won’t feel like you are wasting time. Just imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I haven’t played in over a year and I forgot how much I progressed in NG+. Is there a way to check what major objectives Ive completed? Is the map of what grace points I’ve unlocked a good estimate?

Major objectives as in bosses? For the runebearers, you can look at what runes you have in your inventory. You could even trot over to one of the walking bell towers and see what remembrances you can duplicate.