Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tau was originally substituted in for Dao or Tao, as they were meant to represent Eastern religious philosophies. GW did not want to utilize the the direct name, for obvious reasons, and they also needed something to fit their fake latin/greek, so Tau was the natural choice. So you could pronounce it "Dow" if you wanted to call back to their origins, or "Tow" like the Greek letter to match what is written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Repeating myself here, but I really like the concept of the Tau having a good that they don’t want anything to do with who helps them without asking. It’s a nice twist on the usual uncaring god thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Now that is T'au for some reason how are you meant to pronounce that?

Tuh Ow
Tee Ow

Or do you just ignore the fantasy apostrophe?

Apostrophes don't always (or even especially often) denote glottal stops. Like can't is pronounced cant, not "can tuh" and while apostrophes from consonants into vowels like that aren't common in English, they're common in other languages, so use those. Like D'Aubigné is pronounced Doh bin ye. So it's just Tau.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

Repeating myself here, but I really like the concept of the Tau having a good that they don’t want anything to do with who helps them without asking. It’s a nice twist on the usual uncaring god thing.

I hope they do something interesting with the idea

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Same- aside from the dumb grimdark thing they did with the Tau after, I like the idea and would like to see some avatar action with the no-warp faction

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I miss Tau being the intelligent, rational, and well meaning straight man faction to the comedically overdone insanity of the universe they found themselves in. As though they had a Tau Carl Sagan do a Pale Blue Dot bit, they took it to heart and overcame their own problems and wanted to genuinely and openly represent a better way to the galaxy, just to run into Orks immediately and send Shas'Carl S'agan into an existential crisis. It was more fun when the accusations of mind control, Eldar trickery and sterilizations could be reasonably read as projections of the paranoia of their human observers on an exasperated, confused Tau. From what I understand now the subtext is just text and they're just as xenophobic and authoritarian as everyone else but with Gundams?

Edit: I remember when they came out one of our shop regulars insisted it was pronounced Taw, because that's the Greek alphabet pronunciation (according to him). He also insisted that manifesting your desires and The Secret was real though.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I mean how long does it take for an empire to be like, "Alright, so EVERYTHING in the galaxy is just fucky like this and we plan accordingly" i feel like 10 years max before you learn a lesson.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
tau also are ok with slavery though so its not like they are that great either.

there are no heroes or good guys in 40k just lovely situations and people and the folks forced to survive in it.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
my plastic dollies are the good guys, sorry

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
unless you play space wolves or orks im sorry you are wrong.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

unless you play space wolves

?????????????

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

unless you play space wolves or orks im sorry you are wrong.

my little guys are a simple mercenary outfit protecting a small world from predation and they've literally never done anything wrong ever

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
See, these genocidal warrior aristocrats are good guys, because they have beards and drink beer, like my buddies.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Athas posted:

See, these genocidal warrior aristocrats are good guys, because they have beards and drink beer, like my buddies.

getting drunk and looking for the best fight is at least respectable in 40k sense.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Tau was originally substituted in for Dao or Tao, as they were meant to represent Eastern religious philosophies. GW did not want to utilize the the direct name, for obvious reasons, and they also needed something to fit their fake latin/greek, so Tau was the natural choice. So you could pronounce it "Dow" if you wanted to call back to their origins, or "Tow" like the Greek letter to match what is written.

The T'au that is spoken of is not the true T'au.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tau also are ok with slavery though so its not like they are that great either.

there are no heroes or good guys in 40k just lovely situations and people and the folks forced to survive in it.
Salamanders seem ok, though I suspect they would purge xenos just as happily as the rest, they just don't have the staffing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah salamanders seem cool as well i apologize.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

yeah salamanders seem cool as well i apologize.
I mean the fact that they're remarkable for being the one chapter that are NOT assholes validates the greater point!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I miss Tau being the intelligent, rational, and well meaning straight man faction to the comedically overdone insanity of the universe they found themselves in. As though they had a Tau Carl Sagan do a Pale Blue Dot bit, they took it to heart and overcame their own problems and wanted to genuinely and openly represent a better way to the galaxy, just to run into Orks immediately and send Shas'Carl S'agan into an existential crisis. It was more fun when the accusations of mind control, Eldar trickery and sterilizations could be reasonably read as projections of the paranoia of their human observers on an exasperated, confused Tau. From what I understand now the subtext is just text and they're just as xenophobic and authoritarian as everyone else but with Gundams?

Edit: I remember when they came out one of our shop regulars insisted it was pronounced Taw, because that's the Greek alphabet pronunciation (according to him). He also insisted that manifesting your desires and The Secret was real though.

That is even more funny because the Greek pronounce it Taff. Language is very weird!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Tau definitely have a strict caste system but just being capable of dealing with other species as relative equals puts them light-years ahead of everyone else. There's a growing xenophobic element that's freaked out by other species' greater affinity for the Warp, but they're still a minority afaik

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I miss Tau being the intelligent, rational, and well meaning straight man faction to the comedically overdone insanity of the universe they found themselves in.

Yeah it was more fun this way imo. I suppose you can't keep it up forever since the lore is meant to be progressing but they were a lot more fun like that when they were like "you orks sure are a contentious people"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

GW distilled the Far East into five elements, communism and mecha.

Edit - Also everyone is short and has poor eyesight.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it maybe the subtext could do with a bit of adjusting in this day and age.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Painted up a slightly scuffed printed Planetary Empire tile as a hololith table as an experiment. Just some hexflame and a drybrush over that.
The drying time for the technical paint took longer than the painting, and then it hadn't properly dried in the middle.

Got two more tiles I want to try some other things with later on. Have steps for a blue tinted one written down that I want to do.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The layer lines make it look like a topographic map, like the type you would be using for a briefing, so it really fits well there!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Good point.

I even have four more tiles I can do test other colours with.
The only issue is that the printed ones are slightly worse quality than that one. Kind of why I went for thato ne first.

The other two are from the fantasy version, even have wizard tower, castle and ork totem icons for it for the peg hole.
Also double sided, but not much of an issue.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, put some console-ish bits on the edges and you got yourself a GREAT holo-table

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Tau definitely have a strict caste system but just being capable of dealing with other species as relative equals puts them light-years ahead of everyone else. There's a growing xenophobic element that's freaked out by other species' greater affinity for the Warp, but they're still a minority afaik

T'au are more modern imperialists than anything else. You are going to join the Greater Good eventually.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Painted up a slightly scuffed printed Planetary Empire tile as a hololith table as an experiment. Just some hexflame and a drybrush over that.
The drying time for the technical paint took longer than the painting, and then it hadn't properly dried in the middle.

Got two more tiles I want to try some other things with later on. Have steps for a blue tinted one written down that I want to do.

I wish I had bought a few Planetary Empires sets when it was first out, now it's one of my hobby white whales

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Now that is T'au for some reason how are you meant to pronounce that?

Tuh Ow
Tee Ow

Or do you just ignore the fantasy apostrophe?

I say Tuh-Ow, but I say it fast so it rhymes with Dow

Cooked Auto posted:

Good point.

I even have four more tiles I can do test other colours with.
The only issue is that the printed ones are slightly worse quality than that one. Kind of why I went for thato ne first.

The other two are from the fantasy version, even have wizard tower, castle and ork totem icons for it for the peg hole.
Also double sided, but not much of an issue.

This is great and I wonder if I can buy a singular tile somewhere for super cheap. Or maybe I should try fdm printing one but I'm a little leary considering the details may not be discernable.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, put some console-ish bits on the edges and you got yourself a GREAT holo-table

That's the plan for the proper one. I have a salvaged piece from a rhino interior that I'm going to use for a control panel. Otherwise I'm kind of short of those kinds of parts.

The Demilich posted:

This is great and I wonder if I can buy a singular tile somewhere for super cheap. Or maybe I should try fdm printing one but I'm a little leary considering the details may not be discernable.

I got really lucky at one point and found an auction with those two Mighty Empire tiles.
Kind of wish I had gotten one of the really interesting ones, but would probably have to pay through the nose for those.

I think those tiles came with some old GW issue. My white whale is the Hive City one. Someone did a hololith table using one of those years back that inspired me in the first place to do this.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

people really oversell how drastic the shift is; like yeah the imperium thinking the ethereals have mind control powers was mostly a cold war joke at the beginning, but that early writing is by no means subtextual or even subtle about the tau being paternalistic colonial assholes who... well gosh, they'd just love to be first among equals, if only anyone else was capable of being as civilised as they are!

honestly I wouldn't say they were ever framed as a straight man faction, it's more underlining their unknowing hubris through the assumed reader's knowledge of the setting. and if anything the idea that they have an idealism that was dashed on wider contact with the world is not really present at the start, and has had increasing emphasis with each revision

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's been implied that Vespid are under some form of mind control since they were introduced IIRC

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tau didn't have a clear dark side to them at launch, there were only some hints at maybe some sort of vague warp or chaos influence and spooky~ ethereals.

The first Ciaphas Cain novel from 2003 novel paints them in a much better light than the imperium protagonists.

But this is apparently standard approach from games-workshop to launch a faction/army without any real narrative idea and changing up everything years later once they got it figured out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I much prefer the background that the ethereals worked out a rough comms device thinking they could start a dialogue, but all the vespid needed was a vague collectivist catch phrase to get them on board.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The tau have a rigid class system, use trade and diplomacy as a pretext for moving in to take over and like using local auxiliaries to do the dying for them.

They're the british empire.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone have knowledge about the size difference between the newer astartes motorcycles versus the old ones?

I got 3 of the old Dark Angels ones years ago for $5 and wanted to give them to my Blood Angels

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ro5s posted:

The tau have a rigid class system, use trade and diplomacy as a pretext for moving in to take over and like using local auxiliaries to do the dying for them.

They're the british empire.

How much famine based genocide did they do?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the Tau are basically a multi-season arc Star Trek villain that has the unfortunate luck of dealing with the Imperium instead of the Federation and look good by comparison

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AnEdgelord posted:

the Tau are basically a multi-season arc Star Trek villain that has the unfortunate luck of dealing with the Imperium instead of the Federation and look good by comparison

Waiting for the book starring a simple Earth Caste tailor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Tau didn't have a clear dark side to them at launch, there were only some hints at maybe some sort of vague warp or chaos influence and spooky~ ethereals.

The first Ciaphas Cain novel from 2003 novel paints them in a much better light than the imperium protagonists.

But this is apparently standard approach from games-workshop to launch a faction/army without any real narrative idea and changing up everything years later once they got it figured out.

saying they didn't have a clear dark side at launch doesn't make any sense when the first bit of viewpoint fiction you'll read when you crack open that codex very pointedly has a Tau commander lamenting the brutes haven't been civilised by the presence of their betters yet

and then further in you've got a three page letter from a Tau guy on Pech that's observant enough to understand the Kroot a bit more, but is still a set of sideburns and a pith helmet away from being a victorian stereotype... it's not as over the top about it as comparable writing about the Imperium is but they're still direct about what sort of haughty colonial attitudes they're trying to remind you of, and it's certainly not meant to be flattering