Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

You Are A Werewolf posted:

:nice:

This is really one sweet regardless :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Petition to reopen has over 3000 signatures https://www.change.org/p/reopen-the-beloved-glasgow-willy-wonka-experience

Oh, and https://willyschocolateexperience.com/ hasn't been taken down yet if you want to see it in all it's AI glory.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Petition to reopen has over 3000 signatures https://www.change.org/p/reopen-the-beloved-glasgow-willy-wonka-experience

Oh, and https://willyschocolateexperience.com/ hasn't been taken down yet if you want to see it in all it's AI glory.

Thanks. Just sent them an email because the contract page is still live.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/drawckie/status/1762929731631235201

https://twitter.com/CSPstuff/status/1763190075666362488

https://twitter.com/nebuleeart/status/1762929489313759601

https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1762978017649836439

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 29, 2024

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So was The Unknown was invented wholecloth by the chatbot or is that something from the original book (books?)? My knowledge of Wonka lore is sadly lacking.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I feel sorry for the other Oompa Loompa, the one who isn't getting fanart, just completely forgotten.

The Unknown could be the new Slenderman.

Moon Slayer posted:

So was The Unknown was invented wholecloth by the chatbot or is that something from the original book (books?)? My knowledge of Wonka lore is sadly lacking.

The evil chocolatier who lives in the walls is an AI original.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moon Slayer posted:

Original character do not steal.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That rules, and it also rules that a bunch of idiot corporate people are going to take away "the kids must love AI created characters!" and endlessly try to recapture the lightning in a bottle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moon Slayer posted:

That rules, and it also rules that a bunch of idiot corporate people are going to take away "the kids must love AI created characters!" and endlessly try to recapture the lightning in a bottle.

Some of the kids burst into tears at the sight of the Unknown. I'm not sure they loved it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Everyone under 45 is a kid to media execs.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some of the kids burst into tears at the sight of the Unknown. I'm not sure they loved it.

child tears are engagement to anyone with an MBA

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Always good to teach a child a healthy fear of the Unknown

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Small blessings: the poor Oompa Loompa Girl is guaranteed another booking later this year. They'll bring her on as part of Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2024 on Channel 4, they like to get an internet meme person on every year.

They'll have her do a little skit with Jimmy Carr and read out the questions for the Richard Ayoade et al to answer. She'll at least get a trip to London for filming and a bit of cash for that, I suppose.

Also, a guy in my work took his 7 year old to this clusterfuck, he has not yet got his money back, and also had to shell out an extra £40 afterwards on taking his unhappy child to Five Guys to cheer her up a bit. He's RAGING. We've been teasing him all week about being so dumb to fall for it, he hates us all now, it's great.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Irisi posted:

Small blessings: the poor Oompa Loompa Girl is guaranteed another booking later this year. They'll bring her on as part of Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2024 on Channel 4, they like to get an internet meme person on every year.

They'll have her do a little skit with Jimmy Carr and read out the questions for the Richard Ayoade et al to answer. She'll at least get a trip to London for filming and a bit of cash for that, I suppose.

Also, a guy in my work took his 7 year old to this clusterfuck, he has not yet got his money back, and also had to shell out an extra £40 afterwards on taking his unhappy child to Five Guys to cheer her up a bit. He's RAGING. We've been teasing him all week about being so dumb to fall for it, he hates us all now, it's great.

That's funny, just quoting or humming any tune from the film would probably set him off now...

Humor aside though, the future is ai generated scams and cons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it’s been ages since I played it last but I really want a Fiasco playset inspired by this clusterfuck, I think that has potential

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Irisi posted:

I’m glad this is already boosting her visibility in the aspiring actress world. She deserves it, and I hope better things come her way.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Moon Slayer posted:

The only thing that I can think of resembling it are the alien Vermicious Knids or the things Willy and Charlie confront on their elevator voyage to rescue Grandma Georgina from Minus Land.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQb6-0aNUD4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Moon Slayer posted:

All of the kids clearly did not enjoy the Unknown

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey kid, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

*flicks cigarette, walks off to hitchhike in the rain

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
but when Banksy makes a lovely theme park everyone says he's a genius and the lines go around the block

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
The Unknown surfing thru space on the mirror like Silver Surfer

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bossy lady posted:

child tears are engagement to anyone with an MBA

Harvesting child screams like you're running Monsters Inc.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Calling it now: someone in America is going to try and intentionally replicate this shitshow in a couple weeks, and it will deliberately advertise itself as a lovely, low-effort experience evocative of the original.

I'm also predicting that it will not make some money.

What I'm not certain about is whether it's going to make an unconscionable amount of money and have a line wrapped around the block multiple times or if it'll be a pitiful bust that nobody attends.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Has the unkown dropped her experience yet?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Time_pants posted:

Calling it now: someone in America is going to try and intentionally replicate this shitshow in a couple weeks, and it will deliberately advertise itself as a lovely, low-effort experience evocative of the original.

What I'm not certain about is whether it's going to make an unconscionable amount of money and have a line wrapped around the block multiple times or if it'll be a pitiful bust that nobody attends.

Open bar ticket upgrade for another $65, instant smash hit

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Moon Slayer posted:

Everyone under 45 is a kid to media execs.

Honestly? Given the interests and spending habits of millennials and early gen Xers, that's not at all a baseless generalization. That's just simple pattern recognition.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
The Unknown has enormous mainstream potential

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's just buckethead without the bucket.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's just buckethead without the bucket.

its a fuckin evil chocolatier that lives in walls bro

there is no telling what the gently caress else is goin on with a formula like that

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Yeah. But there's no evidence of any forethought or planning whatsoever. The pitiful small amounts of handout candy, crummy costumes, sparse and few decorations and the preposterous AI written scripts (with audience reactions) just passed directly to the actors without any adaptation or facilitation by an experienced creative director type. Nothing adds up to honest effort. It was just a lazy grift. I wonder if any of those refunds are really happening since the actors didn't get paid.

But just suppose this guy was an industrious entrepreneur and genuinely wanted to create an off-brand "wonka" experience as cheaply as possible, just good enough so that people wouldn't outright scream bloody murder and call the police to get their money back, he could have simply rented some stage trusses, black tarps for light control, some projection screens and a bunch of video projectors and had the event consist of a bunch of AI bullshit slideshows that matched the look of the AI bullshit adverts that drew in the audience in the first place.

Not difficult to do. If he paid one video artist for a couple of days of work, they could have easily created a few tens of minutes worth of trippy chocolate land video loops with Stable Diffusion. Different prompts to suggest different aspects of the "chocolate factory." These could be shown on a handful of screens along a serpentine 10-minute "experience" with dark spaces mainly illuminated by this video art which would at least be colorful looking. People who have seen just one of those stable diffusion video loopback effects wouldn't be impressed but small kids might. Further use some down-facing video projectors hanging from high up to cheaply paint artwork and a decorated path on the concrete warehouse floor, minimizing dependency on physical props.

Along the walk, add a few constructed set pieces built by some prop fabrication workshop - these people make practical backdrops and things for stage and TV productions, and they could make one or two candy dispensing "wonka factory machines" out of some acrylic tubes, wood, cardboard, papier mache and sprinkled with blinking LEDs to look passable in the dim lighting. CAD, CNC and lasercut stuff makes fabrication of even good size props practical and fast for small outfits and also shippable so that they can be transported by pallet and assembled on site in a couple of hours. It would cost some money - I know people in Europe that could and would build stuff like this at a tolerable quality for a few hundred euros, maybe a 1000 VAT included and deliver within a week. The giveaway candy is cheap; Chinese off-brand jellybeans that may be possibly not made of lead and strontium can be bought in hundred-kilogram tubs for cheap on alibaba. The capex for the construction and asset creation would be amortized over the run of the event and easily paid for by a few dozen tickets sold at the 35 pound rate he was charging.

Add add a little bit of interactivity. Near the end, one good set piece with store brand willy and his ompas loompas, but where actors and a script writer had a few weeks to work out a routine and script, and with stage lighting, music, makeup and proper costumes.

If the guy had more than a week to plan this, he could hire also some interaction artists to make at least one of those video walls or floor projections react to little kids running around. You can modify and re-skin any of numerous reactive open-source video projects built with Processing, Open Frameworks, Gen, Unity or other game engines. You use one or several IR cameras to track people in the projection space, and this tracking data interacts with particle effects and simple physics. With this you could for example make some kind of "chocolate river" experience where candies float about and maybe I don't know, it's all bullshit, swim like fish.

Examples of a premium installation done with such techniques by Japanese artist group TeamLab. This is a super popular experience "Futureworld" hosted at a fancy downtown location. It has been on for years and keep drawing an audience, even repeat visitors in spite of consisting mainly of video projection art with few changes and upgrades over the long time it has been running.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Irisi posted:

Did he go to it because of the advertisements? Did he not see it was AI junk? I am genuinely curious.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Since The Unknown is AI generated, does that mean it's public domain and anybody can use it? Blumhouse and A24 better strike while the iron is hot.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The Unknown is a person as real and as vulnerable as you or I.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Both the oompa loompas have just been interviewed live on good morning Britain. Sad oomph loompa didn't come across as very sad now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Irisi posted:

lol, this is very on the money, I'll be thinking of this round Christmas time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Time_pants posted:

this won't happen

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
https://x.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1763335348711801193?s=20

Oompa loompa lady is pretty cute, seems really nice and has indeed been getting a load of poo poo. Which sucks.

Even though it's pretty apparent the actors were doing their best despite not being paid it is still the internet, therefore people are being assholes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Unknown is the Ned Ludd of our age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

Did he go to it because of the advertisements? Did he not see it was AI junk? I am genuinely curious.

What he saw was an advert on a 3rd party website that advertises pretty much every event happening in Glasgow. From concerts at Hampden Park that seats 50,000 down to storytime at the local library for half a dozen kids. (https://www.whatsonglasgow.co.uk/event/131453-willy-wonka-experience/) On there it is promoted it with a slightly different and slightly better looking picture, plus text that at least had been run through a spellchecker.

He's bought tickets to things through that before, and been to toy fairs and stuff at the location itself previously, so thought it was all on the up-and-up. He did not realise that the website allows pretty much anybody to list their attraction for free and without much in the way of fact checking.

Plus, he is massively sleep-deprived and not operating at full brainpower, his wife just had a second baby. This was supposed to be a fun, special day out for the older kid, as she was feeling a little left out and neglected. Feel bad for the poor kid, really.