Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Trump would probably do things like:

-encourage Netanyahu to bomb and shoot without concern for civilian life

-embrace, push for a ban on Palestinians entering the US and/or try to expel Palestinians already here. Express vicious contempt toward Palestinian citizens, leading to more violence like what we've already seen

-directly attack Iran

-provide zero humanitarian assistance to Gaza and the West Bank. Biden withdrew from UNWRA which is horrible, Trump would do that from day 1 of the war and withdraw USAID entirely.

Biden's use of his presidential powers and platform has been abhorrent but if you think it couldn't be much worse then that's just poverty of imagination. And if you think Trump wouldn't do awful things that Biden hasn't done, you're forgetting the years 2017-2021.

Trump would also say stupid dual-loyalty poo poo that would be very bad for American Jews. Biden's "not a Jew in the world would be safe if not for Israel" line was dumb, but Trump says the stuff that really fuels antisemitism, like that all Jews are either "loyal" to Israel or ought to be.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Orthanc6 posted:

Legit I could see him try to push for #1, he might not succeed in making much difference but he'd try. And definitely he'd do more sporadic bombing, especially in response to Houthis attacks on shipping. It's honestly possible he'd help Israel attack specific targets in Lebanon.

I don't think Trump would do much in Gaza directly, mostly cause Israel's already doing about the maximum that a modern military can do in the area. He would not try to send troops anywhere, but no US President would these last 4 years.

the joke is that Biden has done all of those things already

Civilized Fishbot posted:

-provide zero humanitarian assistance to Gaza and the West Bank

this is a joke right? Israel is blocking aid from entering and just massacred over a hundred people who were able to reach aid trucks. Biden is going to do nothing to ensure Gazans receive aid.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

this is a joke right? Israel is blocking aid from entering and just massacred over a hundred people who were able to reach aid trucks. Biden is going to do nothing to ensure Gazans receive aid.

I'm not saying Biden's been anything other than a monster. It is a fact that between Oct 7 and the end of 2023, the US delivered tons of food, medical supplies, etc to Gaza - under Trump this would not have happened because Biden and Trump have different public image concerns.

Obviously much of this aid was prevented from reaching needy people because of Israel's horrible crimes. I don't think 100% of it was, so it would be worse if Trump were president and prevented the aid from being delivered.

Here is a specific delivery of food aid that under Trump would not have taken place: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/us-official-arrives-egypt-with-aid-gaza-2023-12-05/

Again Biden has been horrible, horrible, evil in his treatment of the Palestinians. Trump would very obviously replicate each and every one of Biden's cruelties while expressing many new and very dangerous ones, particularly toward Palestinian-Americans, whose welfare is obviously intimately connected to that of Palestinians in Palestine.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I think materially there wouldn't be any difference in the conflict whether Trump or Biden was in power.
The only difference is people would be more comfortable protesting Trump and the liberals/democrats would support it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If he was president, the Democrats would have to at least pretend to try and oppose him.

Yeah, this is the big thing for me. It's not about whether Trump would be better or worse on this, but about what the public reaction to his actions would be. I am constantly frustrated that so many democrats and liberals, who should be ardently opposed to facilitating genocide, are indifferent, apologetic, or even supportive of Biden doing exactly that. If Trump were in the White House and doing and saying the same things as Biden or worse, I feel extremely confident that the public backlash would be significantly more united and overwhelming. I can't exactly prove that, but I doubt anyone here wants to argue that liberals would be making the same excuses for Trump. Paradoxically, while Trump may want to do far worse than Biden, Biden is actually able to get away with far worse, because the people who should be opposing this are fractured.

Yes, Trump tried to ban Muslims from immigrating to the US. But you know what stopped that? People getting out into the streets to protest it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Marenghi posted:

I think materially there wouldn't be any difference in the conflict whether Trump or Biden was in power.
The only difference is people would be more comfortable protesting Trump and the liberals would support it.

This would have to go against everything Trump has said and done in the past, I'm not sure the obsession with pretending Trump hasn't said and done the things he has in order to make Biden appear worse than he already is. He is already bad on Israel you don't need to constantly exaggerate and make poo poo up to make it seem even worse.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

This would have to go against everything Trump has said and done in the past, I'm not sure the obsession with pretending Trump hasn't said and done the things he has in order to make Biden appear worse than he already is. He is already bad on Israel you don't need to constantly exaggerate and make poo poo up to make it seem even worse.

What have people said about Biden that's an exaggeration or made up?

What have people pretended Trump didn't do?

Darth Walrus posted:

Casualty estimates are possibly in the triple-digits, and here's what Ben-Gvir had to say about it, since someone was asking for clearly-stated genocidal intent:

https://x.com/owenjones84/status/1763230393250046430?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Israel must be destroyed. A settler-colonial ethnostate should not exist, and this kind of poo poo will keep happening while it does.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 29, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, Trump tried to ban Muslims from immigrating to the US. But you know what stopped that? People getting out into the streets to protest it.

No it didn't lmao. He didn't direct his DoJ to reverse course because enough people blocked enough traffic and he got worried about his image or public sentiment. The courts blocked the first version of it but then upheld a revision, partly because of who he put on SCOTUS. It wasn't until Biden got in office that it was reversed and Biden was against it from the start.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_v._Hawaii

There are many examples where "direct action gets the goods" but that is definitively not one of them.

I don't know if Trump would have made it materially worse, it's hard to see how that would happen unless he committed US military assets directly or something else unhinged like that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not how I remember it. As I remember it - and it lines up with quick Wikipedia-skimming I just did - Trump implemented the ban quickly, it got repeatedly struck down/altered by judicial rulings, and finally he achieved a version that the Supreme Court approved, which lasted until Biden took office.

I disagree with "Biden, Biden is actually able to get away with far worse." What, specifically, has Biden gotten away with that Trump wouldn't be able to get away with?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If he was president, the Democrats would have to at least pretend to try and oppose him.

This. It feels awful to say it, but if loving Trump had been in power, at least some democrats would likely have found a bit of a spine to oppose this, and Europe in particular might drop the thing altogether rather than be a direct accomplice to Don&Bibi's snickering bloodbath.

But Biden's folksy rictus and "Um, we're working on it, folks! Aaaanytime now! Boy howdy, but we're talking to their guys" delaying act just gives everyone cover to look the other way and keep the bombs and cash flowing.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

socialsecurity posted:

Did you quote the wrong person. Where did I say Trump would be better than Biden. The only thing worse is a lot more people are accepting the genocide or supporting it because the Democratic party is. Were Trump in power I have no doubt the Democrats would at least pretend to oppose him. Which is better than fully backing the genocide as they currently are.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Marenghi posted:

Did you quote the wrong person. Where did I say Trump would be better than Biden. The only thing worse is a lot more people are accepting the genocide or supporting it because the Democratic party is. Were Trump in power I have no doubt the Democrats would at least pretend to oppose him. Which is better than fully backing the genocide as they currently are.

Democrats pretending to care about Israel's actions doesn't really help anyone in Gaza. Trump sending in US troops or providing even more aid like he has said he wants to do would be materially worse for the genocide.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Democratic voters would protest more were their party not currently supporting this genocide.

Trump sending troops into the area would be a disaster and once a US soldier gets killed by Hamas it would turn into a Vietnam. The public pressure to end it would be much greater.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Democratic voters would protest more were their party not currently supporting this genocide.

Trump sending troops into the area would be a disaster and once a US soldier gets killed by Hamas it would turn into a Vietnam. The public pressure to end it would be much greater.

Trump, famously a leader responds to public pressure by giving in to the demands and not by doubling down or taking a new crazy action.

If the basically daily crowds around Markey and Warren pressuring them to stop supporting Israel I've seen and been a part of haven't at this point gotten them to even vote against the aid package, I don't know how you think trump would be more amenable to persuasion.

E: Does anyone have a single example of Trump bowing to external pressure?

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 29, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think trying to speculate who would back a genocide more is kind of useless, it's clear at this point that both Israel and America must be stopped. Whatever can make that happen should be supported.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there any decent evidence as to the amount of bombs being dropped that are from the US?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

Is there any decent evidence as to the amount of bombs being dropped that are from the US?

You might just have to work backwards from reports on purchases and military aid. Someday maybe I'll get to that (and humanitarian aid) but I'm barely able to half assedly keep up on the water situation rn.

which is currently at "big problem for cleanliness and illness"

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I mean Austin just earlier stated we supplied them with 21,000 "precision guided munitions" since 7 Oct. I've been a little skeptical in the past of the full extent of Israel's reliance on our arms but the evidence has become much clearer that they need us to keep this level of intensity going imo. Without our shipments they would likely have to mostly rely on domestic 155mm artillery, which seems to be the main ordinance they make themselves.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-02-29/pentagon-walks-back-austins-gaza-casualty-figures

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 1, 2024

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
As an FYI, there’s an image going around Twitter of a Palestinian prisoner the Israelis ran over with a tank, and it might genuinely be the worst thing I’ve ever seen, so, be careful:

And here is how the Flour Massacre is being reported, in case anyone expected otherwise:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1763187530474655880

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1763246605468090656

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 1, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

As an FYI, there’s an image going around Twitter of a Palestinian prisoner the Israelis ran over with a tank, and it might be the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

Getting off of Twitter around the start of the Ukraine war was one of the best things I've done for my mental health. Even before Musk and the Israeli perpetrated genocide the amount of unwarned gore was high and I can't imagine how bad it is now with less filters and even more horror in the world.

The NYTimes headline is different now

e: hmm attachment seems to be broken

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/IsraeliPM/status/1763340289656389707

The war crimes will continue until Israel gets what they want

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Biden: Talks are going well folks, I'm reining them in, peace by monday!

Bibi: gently caress all of y'all, the USA is our biiiitch! Free ride, baby!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Testekill posted:

But what Israel wants IS war crimes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Testekill posted:

this entire thread is deeply horrifying despite not being graphic at all, everything between the lines is extremely loving bad

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Google Jeb Bush posted:

this entire thread is deeply horrifying despite not being graphic at all, everything between the lines is extremely loving bad

It really does just enforce that it wasn't about and has never been about getting the hostages back. It's entirely about using October 7th as an excuse to permanently crush the Gaza Strip and the USA signing off on everything that they have been doing.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Another obvious thing is that Israel would try to embarrass the US after Biden shot his mouth off about a ceasefire. I think this puts to rest the fiction about behind the scenes pressure.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I mean if the Biden administration doesn't respond post haste to outline concrete negative consequences for something like this they're conceding that there is no line Israel can possibly cross and lose American support

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The NYT is continuing its stellar reporting on Palestine

https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1763366383276974201

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

rscott posted:

I mean if the Biden administration doesn't respond post haste to outline concrete negative consequences for something like this they're conceding that there is no line Israel can possibly cross and lose American support

I feel like this was already pretty obvious

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Including that headline in the summary of the day's events today is despicable.

The article they link to is not as bad though and describes a real problem so is worth a quick read. The crux of it is that Israel isn't allowing anywhere near enough aid and that their campaign has completely eliminated any semblance of civil government in Northern Gaza:

NYTimes posted:

Since the start of the war, few aid trucks carrying food have reached the Gaza Strip’s devastated north, setting off a widespread hunger crisis.

The crisis came to a head last week after the World Food Program joined UNRWA in halting its aid shipments to the north, citing the overwhelming lawlessness that has taken hold in the area.

Scott Anderson, UNRWA’s deputy director for Gaza, said the chaos in the north has made it impossible for the agency to ensure its aid reaches the proper beneficiaries without causing harm to people in need.

“How in the world can you tell who got that flour? It’s simply not possible,” he said, referring to incidents in which hundreds swarmed trucks in the north. “What we don’t want is that only the people who are younger and stronger get food.”

UNRWA, Mr. Anderson said, was concerned that its aid could end up in the hands of militants or people looking to profit at the expense of their fellow residents.

The last time UNRWA tried to bring trucks to the north was Feb. 5, but one of them came under fire, according to the agency. The most recent delivery to reach the area was Jan. 23. Before that, only 93 trucks entered in January.

As humanitarian groups have warned in recent days that many Palestinians in the north were facing starvation, Israel has permitted airdrops of aid in the area and the entry of some trucks unaffiliated with the United Nations.

Israel’s bombing campaign and ground invasion has devastated the north, but it has also collapsed Hamas’s governing structure, unleashing anarchy. A small number of police officers from the Hamas-run security forces have shown up to work in Gaza City in recent weeks, but they have largely failed to restore law and order, residents said.

Footage posted on social media in recent months showed scores of Palestinians surrounding trucks along the beach in Gaza City, grabbing bags of flour and running with them back toward the residential parts of the city. The trucks usually come from the south, entering the north via the north-south coastal road.

Desperate Palestinians in northern Gaza have turned to raiding the pantries of people who fled and grinding animal feed for flour. While makeshift markets offer some food, prices have risen astronomically. A 25-kilogram bag of flour goes for $560, more than what many people in Gaza brought home as monthly income before the war, according to Mr. Anderson.

He said one solution to the current crisis was for Israel to allow trucks to enter northern Gaza from the border region in the north, instead of making them come from the south on the coastal road.

If trucks were brought into Gaza from a new entry point without tipping off the public, he said, it would be possible to deliver the aid to warehouses and distribute it widely. He added that delivering aid consistently thereafter would encourage the public to stop emptying trucks in the middle of the road.

“If we can get 100 trucks of flour in, that would be enough to flood the market,” he said.

Here's the WFP statement about the pause of North Gaza aid:

https://www.wfp.org/news/un-food-agency-pauses-deliveries-north-gaza

world food programme posted:

ROME – The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is pausing deliveries of life-saving food aid to northern Gaza until conditions are in place that allow for safe distributions.

The decision to pause deliveries to the north of the Gaza Strip has not been taken lightly, as we know it means the situation there will deteriorate further and more people risk dying of hunger.  WFP is deeply committed to urgently reaching desperate people across Gaza but the safety and security to deliver critical food aid - and for the people receiving it - must be ensured.

Deliveries resumed on Sunday after a three-week suspension following the strike on an UNRWA truck and due to the absence of a functioning humanitarian notification system. The plan was to send 10 trucks of food for seven straight days, to help stem the tide of hunger and desperation and to begin building trust in communities that there would be enough food for all. 

On Sunday, as WFP started the route towards Gaza City, the convoy was surrounded by crowds of hungry people close to the Wadi Gaza checkpoint. First fending off multiple attempts by people trying to climb aboard our trucks, then facing gunfire once we entered Gaza City, our team was able to distribute a small quantity of the food along the way. On Monday, the second convoy’s journey north faced complete chaos and violence due to the collapse of civil order. Several trucks were looted between Khan Younes and Deir al Balah and a truck driver was beaten. The remaining flour was spontaneously distributed off the trucks in Gaza city, amidst high tension and explosive anger.

In December, the Integrated Phase Classification report compiled by 15 agencies including WFP warned of the risk of famine in northern Gaza by May unless conditions there improved decisively. At the end of January, after delivering food to the north, we reported on the rapid deterioration of conditions. In these past two days our teams witnessed unprecedented levels of desperation. 

The latest reports confirm Gaza’s precipitous slide into hunger and disease. Food and safe water have become incredibly scarce and diseases are rife, compromising women and children’s nutrition and immunity and resulting in a surge of acute malnutrition. People are already dying from hunger-related causes. 

A report issued Monday by UNICEF and WFP, based on recent data, finds that the situation is particularly extreme in the Northern Gaza Strip. Nutrition screenings conducted at shelters and health centres in the north found that 15.6 per cent - or 1 in 6 children under 2 years of age - are acutely malnourished.

WFP will seek ways to resume deliveries in a responsible manner as soon as possible. A large-scale expansion of the flow of assistance to northern Gaza is urgently needed to avoid disaster. To achieve this, WFP needs significantly higher volumes of food coming into the Gaza strip from multiple routes, additionally, crossing points to the north of Gaza must open. A functioning humanitarian notification system and a stable communication network are needed. And security, for our staff and partners as well as for the people we serve, must be facilitated.

Gaza is hanging by a thread and WFP must be enabled to reverse the path towards famine for thousands of desperately hungry people. 

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

brugroffil posted:

Wasn't Israel targeting Palestinian police officers (because they're Hamas)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Imagine being a city comptroller in Gaza right now.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

brugroffil posted:

It's absolutely true that growing lawlessness is cutting off aid to North Gaza - a flagrant war-criminal state is laying seige to it and it's backed up by basically the whole First World. It's catastrophic level of lawlessness.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 1, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Testekill posted:

So, like, can America stop giving them weapons now?

Israel has made it very clear they are going to be using those weapons for genocide. That's been clear for months and now they've put out a definitive "we will continue to commit genocide, we will not stop." statement so at the very least can America stop giving them new weapons to fire at unarmed citizens?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So, like, can America stop giving them weapons now?

Israel has made it very clear they are going to be using those weapons for genocide. That's been clear for months and now they've put out a definitive "we will continue to commit genocide, we will not stop." statement so at the very least can America stop giving them new weapons to fire at unarmed citizens?

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1762931742841741368

America can't just tell other countries what to do, OK? We're just a smol bean, we're just a little guy.

It's genuinely insulting that they expect people to believe this.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

National Parks posted:

Wasn't Israel targeting Palestinian police officers (because they're Hamas)

Yes, you remember correctly, they were targeted using that exact tenuous Hamas connection.

One of the NY Times articles about food convoys mentioned that they were initially escorted by Gaza police officers, but the IDF kept attacking them, so now the convoys travel without police escort.

This, in turn, leaves the convoys vulnerable to opportunistic theft by starving Gazans, which is a completely understandable reaction to, y'know, starving, but also means that convoys aren't making it to their delivery points.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/21/world/middleeast/gaza-aid-convoys-ambush.html?smid=url-share

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1762931742841741368

America can't just tell other countries what to do, OK? We're just a smol bean, we're just a little guy.

It's genuinely insulting that they expect people to believe this.

That explanation doesn't even make sense in context, can't America also make sovereign decisions about what countries it gives weapons to? Like, the absolute bare minimum here is to let Israel keep making sovereign decisions, but not indefinitely supply them with a bottomless amount explosives.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You're absolutely right. It's because they support the genocide and hope to see it finished.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
More and more people are learning that the US are, in fact, The Baddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Google Jeb Bush posted:

You really don't have to be graphic to become deeply horrifying, as far as this subject is concerned.