Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Not without any penalties, Trump was suspended from twitter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

American national politics has always required the ability to win in a wide array of states, not just the high-population coastal cities.

sorry but I feel like not enough people are laughing at the electoral college defender

"winning a wide variety of states" instead of a "majority of the population" is arguably worse if not no better. The fact the system gave us Trump once is probably why people are hoping the courts nip it in the bud to not chance a potential catastrophe.

Not that I disagree that it shouldn't be hard to field a candidate that would blow Trump out of the water, but I also can't help but feel like American politics is (metaphorically) rigged because a ton of people who vote for Republicans, are often doing so against their own actual interests, and while it is often on Democrats for failing to appeal to those people, it seems kind of unfair with the kinds of lies and culture wars Republicans and right wing media use to whip people up.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

sorry but I feel like not enough people are laughing at the electoral college defender

Um excuse me but a vote from an Oklahoma bumfuck should count triple as mine since they use their rural leisure time to become solemnly learned in political theory

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oxyclean posted:

"winning a wide variety of states" instead of a "majority of the population" is arguably worse if not no better. The fact the system gave us Trump once is probably why people are hoping the courts nip it in the bud to not chance a potential catastrophe.

Not that I disagree that it shouldn't be hard to field a candidate that would blow Trump out of the water, but I also can't help but feel like American politics is (metaphorically) rigged because a ton of people who vote for Republicans, are often doing so against their own actual interests, and while it is often on Democrats for failing to appeal to those people, it seems kind of unfair with the kinds of lies and culture wars Republicans and right wing media use to whip people up.

Describing reality is not the same thing as endorsing it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's just a cult. We don't need to waste too much text on how or why things are the way they are. It's just a cult, and you are either in it or not.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

small butter posted:

Agreed.

While obviously having a guilty conviction right before the election AND the trials taking place and taking up all the oxygen is better than postponing a verdict, I think people are underestimating how bad of a position this is for Trump. A candidate under four indictments with trials taking place during election season is very, very, very bad for the candidate even if that candidate is Trump.

This. This is what you tell the doomers.

Think we're worried? Imagine being a Republican.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Describing reality is not the same thing as endorsing it.

Someone responding to "Trump squeaked by despite a majority not voting for him" with "American politics has always required an electoral college victory" feels nearly like a non-sequitur then "describing reality" with regards to someone's concern about Trump gaining power again because the courts were not able to punish his criminal behavior in time.

"it would be good if we could beat Trump democratically rather then relying on the courts" > "yeah but our system sucks and is flawed, which is how we got him into power in the first place" > "yeah but the system has always sucked and been flawed"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oxyclean posted:

Someone responding to "Trump squeaked by despite a majority not voting for him" with "American politics has always required an electoral college victory" feels nearly like a non-sequitur then "describing reality" with regards to someone's concern about Trump gaining power again because the courts were not able to punish his criminal behavior in time.

"it would be good if we could beat Trump democratically rather then relying on the courts" > "yeah but our system sucks and is flawed, which is how we got him into power in the first place" > "yeah but the system has always sucked and been flawed"

This is the thread for Trump’s legal issues. Not the thread for fixing our broken legal system.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mutata posted:

I will only be satisfied with death. Mine or his, and I'm younger, so he goes first.

Bad news. I have it on good authority he just purchased the Holy grail off ebay. I mean come on a big gold jewel encrusted chalice like that, obviously he was going to want it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The biggest surprise of this is that contestants of this show apparently actually managed to earn quite a bit of (theoretical) money over the years.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

dr_rat posted:

Bad news. I have it on good authority he just purchased the Holy grail off ebay. I mean come on a big gold jewel encrusted chalice like that, obviously he was going to want it.

*glances sideways at elderly Templar for reaction*

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

dr_rat posted:

Using what, exactly, for money?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Using what, exactly, for money?

The Knight Templar guarding it donated it to his campaign.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ah, ok..

Well, I hope wade and fani don't gently caress things up any further, either literally or figuratively

Ftfy

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ah, ok..

Well, I hope wade and fani don't gently caress things up any further, either literally or figuratively

They didn't seem to have in the first place, considering the defense had to rely on a sexual assaulter who lied and then said "please don't put my lies on the record".

Oxyclean posted:

That is indeed known as 'describing' not 'endorsing', despite you trying to reframe it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

It's not "it would be good if we could beat Trump democratically rather than relying on the courts".

It's "it is absolutely essential for us to be able to beat Trump democratically rather than relying on the courts, because the courts will not save us, cannot save us, and never should have been expected to save us".

Whether you like the electoral college or not, the world we are living in right now and the political system we are operating under right now is one in which the electoral college is what decides who the president is. The system is far from perfect, but it's the system we had in November 2020 and it's the system we're still going to have in November 2024, just like it's the system we had in 2016, 2012, 2008, and so on. It's not going to change in the next few months! So like it or not, we have to be able to win within that system. And I wasn't just talking about the electoral college, either. You can't hold the Senate with just NYC and the Bay Area alone either. Like it or not, we have to be able to convince people in Oklahoma and Kentucky that fascism is a bad thing. If we've become so inept at navigating that system that we can't even beat the openly fascist crime elemental who can barely choke out a resentful rant against his perceived enemies anymore, then we're so loving cooked regardless of what happens in the court cases.

And even if the court cases finished up before the election, I wouldn't expect them to have a significant impact. There's no way the unelected branch of government is going to unilaterally disqualify someone who got 74 million votes in 2020. And despite what the polls say, I strongly doubt that convicting him of crimes is going to shake a significant number of the people who're expecting to vote for him. No matter what they say now, I'm quite confident the self-proclaimed "moderate" Trump voters will find an excuse to rationalize supporting him no matter what crimes he's convicted of.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

A whole lot of these pundit complaints sound like “Team Democracy” upset that the election isn’t going to be decided in the court system. Like, just beat him. Absolutely smoke him in the election and he goes to jail, and probably loses all his money.

Yes, clearly Donald Trump is too much of a gentleman to perform electoral fraud or attempt a coup after losing an election. That could never possibly happen. Any candidate would be too worried about the legal repurcussions to ever even consider such an attempt to take power. It would absolutely be the end of their career and destroy their legacy.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Skex posted:

Your argument is basically laws don't matter.

Just the opposite. SCOTUS refusing to skip steps and making this decision by the book is good, actually. I understand the frustration, but it’s not the court’s job to bow to political expediency. If anyone deserves ire because we’re in this position, it’s Justice for being far too slow and timid in investigating and charging.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Just the opposite. SCOTUS refusing to skip steps and making this decision by the book is good, actually. I understand the frustration, but it’s not the court’s job to bow to political expediency. If anyone deserves ire because we’re in this position, it’s Justice for being far too slow and timid in investigating and charging.

Er, dragging out things until after the election IS political expediency for the sake of the Republicans and the courts.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Who else gets to make nonsense arguments created from nothing that they're completely immune from laws and delay their court cases for months or years?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not "it would be good if we could beat Trump democratically rather than relying on the courts".

It's "it is absolutely essential for us to be able to beat Trump democratically rather than relying on the courts, because the courts will not save us, cannot save us, and never should have been expected to save us".

Whether you like the electoral college or not, the world we are living in right now and the political system we are operating under right now is one in which the electoral college is what decides who the president is.

Trump would never be able to win a democratic election.

They act with political expediency when they want to. The courts being slow as poo poo is the fault of the courts.

tk fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 1, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tk posted:

Trump would never be able to win a democratic election.

2016 was a democratic election though? It wasn't as democratic as we'd like being defined as "being an elected by a majority of voters nation wide" and not just "being elected by the majority of people who happen to be living in the states comprising the majority of the electoral college" but both are democratic in process by the definition of the systems in question.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Main Paineframe posted:

If we've become so inept at navigating that system that we can't even beat the openly fascist crime elemental who can barely choke out a resentful rant against his perceived enemies anymore, then we're so loving cooked regardless of what happens in the court cases.

What if I said “if my body can’t fight off this infection without antibiotics then I’m so loving cooked regardless of what the doctors do”? Or “if we cant handle this pandemic without a vaccine then we’re so loving cooked…”

There aren’t endless hordes of Trumps waiting to rise from the ground wherever his blood drips. He’s a unique threat, an avatar of shameless narcissism. If he can be stopped in any lasting manner then the landscape becomes more favourable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if he can even be delayed another 4 years, maybe the Democrats wake up and start taking the systemic threat seriously instead of trying to kiss and hug it

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

2016 was a democratic election though? It wasn't as democratic as we'd like being defined as "being an elected by a majority of voters nation wide" and not just "being elected by the majority of people who happen to be living in the states comprising the majority of the electoral college" but both are democratic in process by the definition of the systems in question.

Well if we’re just saying that our elections our democratic then I don’t see why we wouldn’t expect the courts to intervene to save our democracy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tk posted:

Well if we’re just saying that our elections our democratic then I don’t see why we wouldn’t expect the courts to intervene to save our democracy.

Pardon? I'm not sure I understand?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

99pct of germs posted:

I am beginning to agree with a poster who described Trump as demonically blessed.

Why is Trump a warlock subclass about using the best words

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is Trump's last shot in this life and everyone knows it.

Pick the cause for lack of him being an issue in 2028, your choice:

Death
Bankruptcy
Found a better grift
Irrelevance
Prison

B B
Dec 1, 2005

cr0y posted:

This is Trump's last shot in this life and everyone knows it.

Pick the cause for lack of him being an issue in 2028, your choice:

Death
Bankruptcy
Found a better grift
Irrelevance
Prison

Finishing out his second term after beating a guy who can't remember when his own son died

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arguing over the best way to beat Trump is like arguing over the best lifeboat on the titanic

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tk posted:

In 2016 Obama gave a speech at the DNC where he made a very specific appeal. To the American civil religion of Democracy

“Our power doesn't come from some self-declared savior promising that he alone can restore order as long as we do things his way. We don't look to be ruled. Our power comes from those immortal declarations first put to paper right here in Philadelphia all those years ago: we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that we, the people, can form a more perfect union.”

https://www.npr.org/2016/07/28/487722643/read-president-obamas-speech-at-the-democratic-convention

Now Obama was certainly doing this intentionally, because his favorite philosopher is Reinhold Niebuhr and he’s using an ideas from “Democracy as Religion” in this speech.

Anyway near the end he says this:

“and I'll tell you, what's picked me back up, every single time.

It's been you. The American people.

It's the letter I keep on my wall from a survivor in Ohio who twice almost lost everything to cancer, but urged me to keep fighting for health care reform, even when the battle seemed lost. Do not quit.

It's the painting I keep in my private office, a big-eyed, green owl, with blue wings, made by a seven-year-old girl who was taken from us in Newtown, given to me by her parents so I wouldn't forget – a reminder of all the parents who have turned their grief into action.

It's the small business owner in Colorado who cut most of his own salary so he wouldn't have to lay off any of his workers in the recession – because, he said, "that wouldn't have been in the spirit of America."

It's the conservative in Texas who said he disagreed with me on everything, but he appreciated that, like him, I try to be a good dad.

It's the courage of the young soldier from Arizona who nearly died on the battlefield in Afghanistan, but who has learned to speak again and walk again – and earlier this year, stepped through the door of the Oval Office on his own power, to salute and shake my hand.

It is every American who believed we could change this country for the better, so many of you who'd never been involved in politics, who picked up phones, and hit the streets, and used the Internet in amazing new ways that I didn't really understand but made change happen. You are the best organizers on the planet, and I am so proud of all the change that you made possible.

Time and again, you've picked me up. And I hope, sometimes, I picked you up, too.”

That’s an appeal, that’s faith in the American people.

That’s a distillation of enlightenment myth, that a population when given rights and the free ability to vote will make the right choice. This sometimes gets called “The myth of Harmony”.

Having that faith didn’t particularly work out.

But that damaged civic religion is what’s at stake in this election. But to “expect the courts to intervene “ thats a naïve faith, and it could have the same outcome as Obama’s faith that expected the public to not choose the authoritarian. Those things have to be made to real by collective participation in the myth and the exercise of collective power to preserve it.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 1, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Arguing over the best way to beat Trump is like arguing over the best lifeboat on the titanic

Only the rich are going to survive and we're going to drown no matter what?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

B B posted:

Finishing out his second term after beating a guy who can't remember when his own son died

Finishing? If he gets back into office he's never leaving again.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In 2016 Obama gave a speech at the DNC where he made a very specific appeal. To the American civil religion of Democracy

“Our power doesn't come from some self-declared savior promising that he alone can restore order as long as we do things his way. We don't look to be ruled. Our power comes from those immortal declarations first put to paper right here in Philadelphia all those years ago: we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that we, the people, can form a more perfect union.”

https://www.npr.org/2016/07/28/487722643/read-president-obamas-speech-at-the-democratic-convention

Now Obama was certainly doing this intentionally, because his favorite philosopher is Reinhold Niebuhr and he’s using an ideas from “Democracy as Religion” in this speech.

Anyway near the end he says this:

“and I'll tell you, what's picked me back up, every single time.

It's been you. The American people.

It's the letter I keep on my wall from a survivor in Ohio who twice almost lost everything to cancer, but urged me to keep fighting for health care reform, even when the battle seemed lost. Do not quit.

It's the painting I keep in my private office, a big-eyed, green owl, with blue wings, made by a seven-year-old girl who was taken from us in Newtown, given to me by her parents so I wouldn't forget – a reminder of all the parents who have turned their grief into action.

It's the small business owner in Colorado who cut most of his own salary so he wouldn't have to lay off any of his workers in the recession – because, he said, "that wouldn't have been in the spirit of America."

It's the conservative in Texas who said he disagreed with me on everything, but he appreciated that, like him, I try to be a good dad.

It's the courage of the young soldier from Arizona who nearly died on the battlefield in Afghanistan, but who has learned to speak again and walk again – and earlier this year, stepped through the door of the Oval Office on his own power, to salute and shake my hand.

It is every American who believed we could change this country for the better, so many of you who'd never been involved in politics, who picked up phones, and hit the streets, and used the Internet in amazing new ways that I didn't really understand but made change happen. You are the best organizers on the planet, and I am so proud of all the change that you made possible.

Time and again, you've picked me up. And I hope, sometimes, I picked you up, too.”

That’s an appeal, that’s faith in the American people.

That’s a distillation of enlightenment myth, that a population when given rights and the free ability to vote will make the right choice. This sometimes gets called “The myth of Harmony”.

Having that faith didn’t particularly work out.

But that damaged civic religion is what’s at stake in this election. But to “expect the courts to intervene “ thats a naïve faith, and it could have the same outcome as Obama’s faith that expected the public to not choose the authoritarian. Those things have to be made to real by collective participation in the myth and the exercise of collective power to preserve it.

how's all that hopey changey stuff working

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

I was fuckin AMPED when he won in '08. I thought the country was on a whole new path.

I'd almost feel bad talking to that young version of me and warning him we'll eventually be paying for it all with crippling interest.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

B B posted:

Did this happen?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lots of people who go through traumas have difficulty recalling the chronology independent of any geriatric memory loss

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did this happen?

No but we have to pretend that guy is posting in good faith

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

It turns out power must be met with power which he should have known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did this happen?

This was included as a detail in the special counsel's report into Joe Biden's unauthorized removal, retention, and disclosure of classified documents:

https://www.justice.gov/storage/report-from-special-counsel-robert-k-hur-february-2024.pdf

Here is how Merrick Garland, who was appointed by Joe Biden, described the special counsel:

Merrick Garland posted:

Mr. Hur has a long and distinguished career as a prosecutor. In 2003, he joined the Department's Criminal Division, where he worked on counterterrorism, corporate fraud, and appellate matters. From 2007 until 2014, Mr. Hur served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland, where he prosecuted matters ranging from violent crime to financial fraud. In 2017, Mr. Hur rejoined the Department as the Principal Associate Deputy Attorney General. In 2018, he was nominated and confirmed to serve as the U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland. As U.S. Attorney, he supervised some of the Department's more important national security, public corruption, and other high-profile matters.

I am personally inclined to believe that the person who was appointed by Merrick Garland, who was appointed by Joe Biden, is telling the truth. Joe Biden's memory issues are well documented on camera in a variety of public appearances. 86% of Americans believe that Biden is too old to be president, so those who deny his memory issues are in the minority.

Yeah, it happened.