Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

More people gonna play the PTR vs live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Vampire power aspects won't be in the codex

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Every one of these dudes during these campfire chats looks like it gives them great pain to make something do 10% more measly damage. I just don't understand why any of them are making an ARPG at all if big numbers frighten them so.

Tarnop posted:

Adam Jackson has used the word "terrified" multiple times to describe how he feels when buffing skills

yeah it's extremely fuckin weird

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Kinda enjoyed how they talked about buffing that wolf companion howl lightning strike so that instead of nicking only 1 pixel out of the enemy health bar, it takes out three. Really shaking the earth and mixing up the endgame with these astounding buffs.

This gauntlet stuff that these paid influencers were commenting over looked a bit like D3 rift running, only it's completely static every run and they expect people want to redo the exact same thing with no variation whatsoever for a week. I'm sure this is going to be a hit for some folks, but I don't think this is going to be the gimmick that solves D4's flagging playerbase.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the first "pro tip" was to look for shrine affixes on your gear, and the second "pro tip" was to not die. thank you for these extremely pro tips

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've been playing hardcore and pro tip #2 was incredibly helpful thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

Vampire power aspects won't be in the codex
Of course.

If the itemization rework and/or S4 doesnt knock my socks off I may uninstall. I have productive things i could be doing instead of spending time on a badly designed game that has no hope of getting better.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I missed the stream did they fix diablo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
At least last epoch is still holding my interest

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ehud posted:

They promised that it would be fixed in Season 4, but didn't say what they would be doing and to stay tuned for more info.

Until then, they are buffing Necro pets and you can run gauntlet next Tuesday.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ehud posted:

Nope. Still bad. Back to your regularly scheduled programming

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They shouldn’t even have seasons. What is this. Diablo 3 had more effort.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I only did Diablo 3 seasons 10 through 15. The seasonal mechanic was usually 'double goblins' or 'extra crafting mats' or 'nothing'

I take it D3 seasons got more robust after it had been out for 6 or 7 years?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah newer D3 seasons double or triple your power in some way and don't have any of the boring rear end grind/busy work that D4 does.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

leveling until 70 still kind of sucked even if you could cheese it a bunch

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

omg chael crash posted:

leveling until 70 still kind of sucked even if you could cheese it a bunch

It's fine with the altar: the second node removes all item level requirements.

Season currently up has it and all future seasons will too. Also has the lords of hell gems which are huge multipliers.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Can't forget the biggest change coming on Tuesday! They've lowered the resplendent sparks needed for Uber uniques from 5 to 4! Holy poo poo WTF

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I only did Diablo 3 seasons 10 through 15. The seasonal mechanic was usually 'double goblins' or 'extra crafting mats' or 'nothing'

They did major rebalancing and state changes every patch too

Well. Major compared to d4

And by they I think it was one person. That was the rumor. Or was it two people ?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It was two people, in a closet making babies, and one of them looked at me

5er
Jun 1, 2000

euphronius posted:

Diablo 3 had seasons with a lot of effort put into them over a decade and it was a huge draw so you're contradicting yourself a little.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

D3, though in maintenance mode (aka "we needed the people to go to the D4 team"), is now going to a seasonal rotation of Altar of Rites + Visions of Enmity + whatever Season gimmick

This is a magnificent combo of insane power gains, a heavy rain of sets/legendaries, and generally everything you want when blowing demons up. Why Blizzard didn't stick with this formula is beyond me

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

5er posted:

Diablo 3 had seasons with a lot of effort put into them over a decade and it was a huge draw so you're contradicting yourself a little.

I don't know if this is what the person you're replying to was suggesting, but from my POV it's stupid for a game as threadbare as D4 to have the seasonal model it does where they add a bunch of stuff and then remove most of it three months later. They could be using seasons to build up a bunch of different endgame stuff for people to do but instead a big chunk of development effort has been devoted to things that are now gone from the game

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How much seasonal content has actually been removed?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Malignant gems and enemies, vamptide and all its associated events, blood seekers, vampire boss summoning, vampiric powers, Abattoir of Zir

Then they'll be removing the seneschal and the vaults at the end of this season

I realise it's not a huge amount of stuff, but it represents most of the visible work that has been done since launch. Everything else has been a mix of QoL stuff that should have been there from the start and wheel-spinning numerical tweaks

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Aren’t we getting vampire powers back? Seems like their goal has been to carry the meat from each season forward and leave the potatoes behind. I know for a fact I can equip a malignant ring and kill Zeer right this very moment. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the vaults stick around in some capacity.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Some of the rewards are being kept around but in a way that competes with existing items so it's not actually adding any layers to the way you build your character. Now this unique ring is BiS instead of some other unique ring. Next week a smattering of aspects are being added to the pool but you aren't getting any new equipment slots so they just take the place of something else or get ignored.

All the activities that led to them are gone. Sure, Zir is still around but no-one was calling S2 the best season because of the Zir fight. People liked adding vampire powers to the existing bare-bones skill system, they liked vamp tides, they liked the boss summoning event, they liked the vampiric syphons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In additional to the seasonal flavor content and seasonal borrowed power I would also have expected seasonal balance changes to keep the game fresh and interesting and we aren’t getting that and we did in D3

If that makes it more explicit

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

euphronius posted:

They're busy working on the expansion that will also be bad and have 10% of the sales that this did.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

This is a magnificent combo of insane power gains, a heavy rain of sets/legendaries, and generally everything you want when blowing demons up. Why Blizzard didn't stick with this formula is beyond me

Literally nothing but false perception of Diablo 3 made them ignore all the good things D3 did and make Diablo 4 bad. Same thing that happened with D&D 4E to 5E.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

euphronius posted:

In additional to the seasonal flavor content and seasonal borrowed power I would also have expected seasonal balance changes to keep the game fresh and interesting and we aren’t getting that and we did in D3

If that makes it more explicit

They make sure there are pages and pages of patch notes to give the impression that this is what they're doing but it's all just fiddling around the edges. Like the necro minion buffs coming next week, they're basically back to where they started in the first open beta

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the vaults stick around in some capacity.

They'd be stupid to not keep them around. They're all I ran this season. I did 1 or 2 NMD's and that's it. Minimal stupid bactracking, just kill monsters, get loot, repeat. Incredibly difficult concept.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They've kept around the uber boss loop. They're adding vampire aspects and added some malignant ubers but eh, if you ask me they should've made a few parallel systems permanent, like after Season 1 you can always add an Uber Enchant to your ring slots, after Season 2 you can put some vampire tokens and powers in your gloves and boots, etc.

The thing is that people were hoping D4 would copy PoE or to a lesser degree Diablo 3(Kanai's Cube, GR Gems) or virtually every ARPG made in the last decade. They want multiple systems and widgets and doodads to adjust. They want an option where if they're tired of grinding Zir and Bloodtides and Vampiric Jackasses to level their vampire powers they can go smash a few vaults to get that juicy pet robot power boost they're close to, or do helltides and NMDs for a conventional power boost, or go punch some malignant tunnels to juice up their gems. This helps disguise the feeling that every season activity is identical past the skins put over it too.

Oh, and they'd want to be rewarded with the most generalized power progression tokens(paragon glyph points) for doing anything so they aren't locked into an activity they don't like at all or aren't in the mood for presently. But the D4 team hasn't even realized this incredibly easy win yet... or they have and are probably correctly terrified that all NMD production will be wasted when people never do them again if given the option! Hell, give people glyph points for doing anything in the game post 50. Getting achievements, doing side quests, reading lore notes. Get people invested in playing your game for any reason and they'll sell it to themselves. Don't force them to grudgingly accept your vision. AND THEN LINK SOME OF THIS PROGRESSION ACROSS CLASSES! Give players a reason to alt and they'll passively double or triple their playtime for you! I've got plenty of banked vampire, robot, malginant and paragon progress, I wonder how it feels on Druid!? Players sell themselves on a game like you wouldn't believe when they casually agree to themselves "well I've got to replay it and see how it feels on the other character."

Ultimately it seems like an enormous waste, especially since the first big complaints about D4 end game was that it was limited and dull and NMDs aren't that popular, that each season isn't another branch of a growing tree.

And of course the comedy buffet of the expected play rates to get Uber Uniques and to smash them into crafting the one you want. Add another universal currency rarer than paragon glyph points and tie it to playing the game, hard to get but a guaranteed steady little stream. Kill a world boss, rune some tides and your favorite activity weekly, get your super points. It's embarrassing that the same company made WoW and isn't making use of that much basic carrot on stick design.

Then again WoW got a stupid bug up its rear end about refusing to use its most successful player incentive system after Wrath of the Lich King so maybe all managers are stupid. :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tarnop posted:

I don't know if this is what the person you're replying to was suggesting, but from my POV it's stupid for a game as threadbare as D4 to have the seasonal model it does where they add a bunch of stuff and then remove most of it three months later. They could be using seasons to build up a bunch of different endgame stuff for people to do but instead a big chunk of development effort has been devoted to things that are now gone from the game

The game would be even more threadbare without shifting seasonal content to provide some degree of variety. The game needs a lot of work yes but I can't imagine things being better if we were all still doing the same 'eternal realm' poo poo since June. Diablo 2 even benefited from having a seasonal model applied to its hd redux.

The game is gradually snowballing its endgame content in that its bosses are carried along as optional additional encounters that provide opportunities for better loot. What stuff is gone specifically that you want to see come back? Or, are you saying you don't like losing the seasonal gimmick powers when its over and have to start from scratch on a new season?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just play Last Epoch, jfc people

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Barreft posted:

Just play Last Epoch, jfc people

I'd like to but I try to play it with friends and it's the same mess it was in EA

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's not a good game, op

It's free at least, right?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's not a good game, op

It's free at least, right?

lol no

but it is buy once and all the qol kicks the poo poo out of both poe and d4

it's unfortunate about *gestures at the rest*

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh. Well darn. I don't mean this as a diss but it literally "looks" like a game that would be free

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
When I do a NMD with someone, we both get the completion reward screen and loot in our inventory, but I get showered in "extra" loot that drops on the ground and they don't.

I checked my Season Blessings and I can't find anything in there that sounds like it would do that.
(unless the Wardwoven blessing also applies to NMD without saying so?)

Could someone please explain what's happening?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah last epoch blows d4 out of the water as far as crafting, loot, endgame etc goes but it just doesnt feel great to play compared to d4 or poe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
How difficult can it be to implement a barebone lootfiler, that can be improved and evolved season after season?

They could start with implementing a very basic color coding of codex powers that you need or don't. So that in the codex you can select the powers you are interested in, and if an item has one of these powers, in the item tooltip you have a star, or blue text, or whatever.

And then season after season improve it.

But yeah, they are caring about the paid expansion only probably